• Published 16th Aug 2014
  • 2,099 Views, 104 Comments

Daily Lie - Lady Brony



Scootaloo opens up to her daughter about her old wounds and dark past as a teenager.

  • ...
16
 104
 2,099

Chapter 3

Nova had gone to bed. I still decided to stay up because Rumble would be home later today. I haven’t seen him for a week. He works as a co-manager with his brother, Thunder Lane, at the weather factory in Cloudsdale. Since neither Nova or I can fly, my husband bounces between Ponyville and Cloudsdale. He's only home on weekends.

He stays with his brother and his wife, Flitter, while at Cloudsdale. I do miss him when he’s at work but it’s easier for him to stay in Cloudsdale while working instead of him flying to work everyday. We talk on the phone regularly, I wish he was here more, However one of the perks of being your own boss, you can come and go as you please.

The door opened, I turned to see Rumble walk in, my hubby is finally home. “Hi Scoots”. He said, as he joined me in the living room. “Hey Rumble.” I said. He leaned in and kissed me.

“Has things with Nova gotten any better”? He asked, as he sits with me on the couch. Putting his wing around me as he poured himself a glass of wine. “Not really, she came home crying three times this week and skipped a class with a boy”. I mentioned.

“That’s too- WHAT, who’s the twerp?’ Rumble shouted, I laughed at his response. It is too funny. I wanted to milk it a little more. I loved how he got protective over Nova going on a date, not her coming home crying or skipping class. No her being with a boy, the horror.

“Rumble, Nova’s sleeping, be quiet. He also asked her to the movies.” I smirked.

“Scootaloo, I don’t want Nova dating yet, she’s too young”. Rumble said. He poured more wine into his glass until it rested at the rim. “He could try things on her.”

“Rumble, would you relax it’s just the movies, She’s going to be sixteen in a few months and she deserves to have some fun after what she had to go through”. I said as I topped off my drink while my husband starts having his classic freak out.

“Okay, she can go if I get to talk to him first.” Rumble said. “When are they going out?” He gulped down his wine.

“I think he suggested next Friday”. I said. “Don’t scare him off. Nova seems to really like him”.

Rumble rubbed his face. “I make no promises”.

I playfully hit him. “Then at least attempt to be nice.” I joked. “Anyway, I'm going to bed, coming?” It is almost 11 at night.

“In a bit, I need more wine.” Rumble said, as he filled his glass another time. “My little girl is growing up”.

I raised an eyebrow “She is, don’t get too drunk, lightweight,” I said.

“I'm not a lightweight”. Rumble slurred. I burst out laughing at that. He only had one drink, this is sad. “Don’t be too long, Rumble”. I hinted.

***

Nova is in bed speaking to Crimson on the phone. When they both got to the coffee shop, Nova gave him her number for her cell. First it was texting then it switched to an old fashion phone call. As there fingers got tired from fast-paced typing. They have been talking over an hour now, like school, hobbies, interests, etc. Though, they had only knew each other for a short while, they clicked almost immediately.

She feels happy for a change She hasn’t laughed like that since her “friends” abandoned her. Ruby and Cara were her closest friends. From the time when she had her surgery that went to hell, after that they wanted nothing to do with her.

***

Nova woke up from the anesthesia haze in recovery. They had done it, they took her wing, the thought overwhelmed her; she’s never flying again. The tumors in her wing grew rapidly and the doctors said if they didn’t do what they did. She could have five or less years to live.

That horrified her, she was barely sixteen and she could have died at twenty-one. She turned to a large mirror in the room. Pulling back her hospital gown a bit. She saw her single wing and a huge bandage covering her back where her wing used to be.

“I'm a freak”. Nova whispered, as a teardrop fell from her face onto the bedding. She broke into a uncontrollable sob. She couldn’t help it; this was too much for her. In the past six months doctors only told her that the cancer would get worse and that there was nothing they could do other than amputating the wing.

“Nova, sweetie. What’s wrong?” A voice called near her. She looked forward to where the doorway was. It was her mom, Scootaloo and her Auntie Dash were standing there.

“How are you feeling?” Auntie Dash asked. Sitting in a chair near the bed. Scootaloo sat in the one next to it. “I'm fine”. Nova said. Wiping away her tears away.

“I'm glad you're fine, I was worried sick in the waiting room with your mom’, Auntie Dash said. You’re going to have one awesome scar”. That started up tears again. Nova cried yet another time. Scootaloo gave a burning glare to her sister and got up to comfort her daughter. “Really, Dash”? Disappointed in what she said. “You just had to bring that up right after her operation”.

“Sorry”. Dash nervously said. She said nothing else after that, in fear of upsetting her niece again.

“It’s alright Nova, your Aunt just has a big mouth sometimes.” Scootaloo soothed her daughter as she hugged her. ”You should be happy now. The doctors say that you’re completely cancer free and that you can go home in a few days”.

That seemed to calm her down a little. “Can Ruby and Cara see me?” Nova asked. Missing her good friends from school.
Yes, that could happen.” Scootaloo said. “I'm sure we can work something out”.

***

Ruby and Cara never showed up at the hospital or at her home. Nova called them a couple of times without an answer or if one of them did pick up by mistake they would hang up quickly. Nova was still to weak to walk over to their houses and her parents wanted her to take it easy until she's able to go back to school. It had to wait awhile.

***

Two weeks later.

When Nova was allowed to return to school and she was ready to give her friends a ear-full for excluding her for no good reason. She marched up to where Cara’s locker was. Cara was getting books out of it and putting on some bright pink lipstick in the tiny mirror in her locker while Ruby was talking to her. Nova walked over, She managed to calm herself down enough not to rip her head off.

“Hi Cara”. Nova said. Cara nearly jumped out of her skin.

“N-nova, h-hi, what’s up?” Cara said uneasily.

“Is your phone broken?” Nova said, holding back her anger the best she could.

“N-no, why do you ask?” Cara said nervously. As she closed her locker.

“Because I called you and Ruby both without hearing a word. While I was in the hospital getting my cancerous tumors removed. Asking you to come see me and give me some support”. Nova growled in a low voice. She didn’t want to make a scene.

“Nova, I'm sorry I need to go to class. We’ll talk later” Cara said as she looked for fast getaway.

“School doesn’t start for another fifteen minutes”. Nova said angrily, she had to remind herself to keep quiet as her rage slowly built up.

“Oh you're right. Our parents told us that we should stay away…” Cara paused for a second. “Because they didn’t want us to bother you while you were resting”. Nova didn’t believe that for a moment.

“Then why the hell when you picked up your phone, you hung up on me?” Nova pointed out.

“I-I thought you were a telemarketer “. Cara said.

“Seriously? That’s bullshit”. Nova said. “You had my number for years-“

“Would you shut up already?” Ruby intervened.

“Excuse me?” Nova said.

“We wanted nothing to do with a flightless Pegasus”. Ruby said.

“Fall off a cliff, you one winged freak:” Cara called after her.

Nova gave no answer as she was left in tears. In the bathroom, she called her mom to come and get her. She missed school for an extra week. Nova hadn’t spoken to them since.

***

“You still there?” Crimson asked.

Nova woke up from her trance. “Sorry, I zoned out there for a bit. What were you saying before?”

“I was asking if you wanted ditch the movie and go to a party instead”. Crimson said,

“Sure, whose house is it at?” Nova said.

“Do you know Cara March? It’s at her place, her parents are out of town or something like that”. Crimson replied. Nova felt sweat starting to form around her body and her throat felt tight. “Stay calm, just tell him the truth”. She thought to herself.

“Me and Cara used to be friends but we had a fight and now we’re not on speaking terms”. Nova said. “We don’t get along that great.

“Oh, that sucks I really wanted to go”. Crimson said disappointedly. Nova could hear sadness in his voice. She felt awkward now.

“Okay, I’ll go, but if Cara or anyone else starts with me, I'm gone”. Nova compromised. “I'm not getting into a fight”.

“Thanks, it starts at 7 o’clock this Friday”. Crimson said. “I’ll pick you up at your house”.

“Sounds good, I’ll text you my address”. Nova said, as she slapped herself on the forehead for being insanely stupid. "I'm going to bed now, nighty night".

"Goodnight." Crimson said. They hung up after that. Nova knows this could only lead to disaster.

Author's Note:

Let the girl drama war begin, Anyway I was tearing up at the hospital part please tell i'm not the only one. I have a great writing but do you think the party should go for Nova seeing her ex-friends. Should Ruby or Cara come on to Crimson or a fight breaks out. Let me know, I love hearing from my fellow bronies.

Edited by Monstercrazy1257

Edited:
I made some mild fixes to grammer. I'm really trying to improve on my spelling and be my own editor.