• Published 16th Aug 2014
  • 1,269 Views, 27 Comments

Lost in the heat of battle 3 The Apple does not fall far from the Tree. - heavy weapons brony



The son of Soldier and Pinkie pie returns to the world of his birth.

  • ...
3
 27
 1,269

I Love you too.

Author's Note:

Okay in this chapter you will notice (Hopefully) that iam slowing the pacing of this fic wayyy down now that the boring parts are over, so in this chapter we do little but reinforce the light bond between Pinkie and her son.

now, i have a proposition for you, the reader, i an going to ship a lucky little filly with First (sorry no same sex paring yet, i gotta walk before i can run) and i have one in mind, but i ask you the reader, so leave a comment on which filly i should ship with my oc with, also please leave what would attract this filly to First in the "First place" (i love puns.)
so theirs that, also another oc will be joining this fic, since im modeling First after me so much i will also make his best friend an oc based off my best freind. so, yeah.

,...he smokes weed everyday.


also lumpy's adventure will continue next chapter.

also notice i slapped a AU tag on here, in this equestria it resembles our world and our stage of tech, so First is in for a bit of a culture shock when he starts school and meets a gamer colt by the name mash, button.

keep in mind that First is from the year 1972.

That night First laid in the cot purchased from a local military surplus store when it became apparent to his mother Pinkie that the baby blue crib wouldn't suffice for her grown son.

He couldn’t sleep, his mind whirled around in his head the stress of entering a new world had finally sunk in and his head wasn't agreeing with him.

First mind was like the T.v. show “Lost” or “Adventure time” it just presented to him question after question but never,...EVER came to him with a answer.

What was like having a mother?

How would he get by in this new world? Would he get used to never seeing another human being?

Despite knowing her for a day First also wondered what kind of parent Pinkie would be, he always asked his father about him mother but he never remembered much, just the color pink, which Pinkie didn't seem to have a shortage of.

The thought of his father made First homesick as one more questions popped in First’s head.

Why did his mother give him up? He did realize that she changed her mind after only a month but why do it in the first place.

First’s head began to ache under his helmet, Then a weird tingling sensation in his toes snapped him back to reality.

First pulled up his blanket, while in bed he typically only wore his underwear, but recent events encouraged him to also wear his helmet to bed too, removing the blanket revealed his almost naked form along with his bare feet.

All ten of his toes where wiggling wildly by themselves, this surprised First but didn't confuse him. This had happened to him a few times before, it was some sort of extra sense. Abnormal body functions usually meant something was happening, this one for instance meant someone nearby was in emotional pain, it was discovered when he was 9 years old when he found Uncle Heavy sobbing in a corner of the base, failing to find his precious sasha because uncle Spy had hidden it somewhere with his invisa-watch as a prank.

Concerned with the only other person living in the small uptown apartment First lifted himself from bed, he picked up his Buff Banner backpack and opened the door to his room. He tiptoed barefoot across the dark, Narrow hallway and opened the hardwood door to his mother’s bedroom.

The door opened silently to reveal the pink back of his mother, who was sitting on her pink and white bedspread facing the wall and sobbing, softly. First took another step, applying pressure to a loose floorboard causing a creak.

Pinkie lifted her head and looked behind her, with droopy puffy red eyes she gazed at First.

“Hey,” Pinkie muttered.

“Hey” First replied.

First walked around the bed and sat next to Pinkie, who continued to stare at the wall.

“What's wrong?” First asked.

Pinkie looked back to First, “I'm just scared that's all, a month ago i was scared about having to take care of a baby, now i have a full grown child, just last week the cakes all left me this restaurant to start another in canterlot, its just, since when did i have so much responsibility?”

First weighed her situation, “Well, look at it this way, you have a family, and an already successful business that you own, you got things pretty well for a mare thats so young.”

Pinkie smiled but First could tell that his words offered little comfort.

First began sifting through his pack, “My dad always said to worry about tomorrow, tomorrow and let yesterday slid, also he always read me a story when i was sad.”

Pinkies ears lifted, “Which story?”

“Well out in the middle of new mexico there aren't many libraries, so when i was young he wrote a story and read it to me when ever he needed to,”

“He did? all by himself?”

“Yep,..here it is, its about someone who was also uncertain about life but everything turned out great” First fished out a crude notebook with a crayon illustration on the front, First handed it to Pinkie.

“Lumpy the freak pyro? First whats a pyro?”

“Its a man clad in a flame retardant suit, he goes around starting people on fire.”

“Thats sounds,....horrible,” Pinkie returned to the cover, on it was a crude drawing of a man in an asbestos lined suit and a gas mask, he wore a tiny had on his head and had some sort of music box on his back, he seemed to be holding hands with another man, this one was very skinny and wore a beanie cap.

“Who it that?” Pinkie asked, pointing to the other figure.

“Thats Larry, the scout, you’ll read about him,” First explained opening the book.


“I thought we could read it together, you know, bond a little like I did with dad.”

Pinkie smiled at the prospect of bonding with her son, she opened the book and Pinkie began reading out loud.


“Lumpy the freak pyro, by sergeant Jane Doe attorney at law.”

“A Few years ago, in a place quite aways from here, a litter of Pyros were born in the icy tundra of their home.”

“Of this little one Pyro was named Lumpy, and right away his parent noticed something was peculiar about him. Unlike his brothers and sisters Lumpy didn’t like fire.”

“Once the litter was old enough to move on their own, Lumpy would try to venture outside to play with the penguins and other wildlife while this sibling would try to find a candle to stare at, or find something combustible to hadouken. Despite this Lumpy grew up in a very loving home, his parents always took him for what he was, but his sibling often teased him and made fun of him for lacking the pyro skills that they had developed over a childhood of loving Pyro.”

“When Lumpy and his litter where 13 the letter arrived by a very cold looking mail carrier, the young Pyro decided to warm him up by engulfing him in flame, rest assured that mail carrier was nice and toasty for the rest of his life.”

“Anyway the letter was from Tf industries, summoning the litter to begin attending Tf’s finishing school for young mercenaries.”

“The Gaggle of young Pyros danced and taunted the prospect of finally being able to go to the same school as their parents and learning how to make it on there own.”

“Except one, Lumpy held his head in his hands and sat crosslegged in the corner of the cabin the was born in, worried about his future and saddened that he was going to leave his parents behind.”

“Of course the clan was sent to the academy, after a bus and a plane ride, an orientation day at the prestigious brick build school and a night of tossing and turning in unfamiliar surroundings, It was the first day of training.

The ranks of Pyros sat in desks and they were debriefed on the function of each available pyro weapon by a older more experienced pyro, Lumpy tried paid close attention in hope of learning something that might help him when they test his lacking abilities. Before Lumpy knew it the starting class was over and a table of weapons was brought out, Quickly his classmates jumped from their desk and attacked the table, Lumpy stumbled and faceplanted out of his desk, by the time he picked himself up only a few weapons lay on the table.

Lumpy looked at the weapons with confusion, without knowing what they did he picked up a degreaser, a stock shotgun and a powerjack, he then followed his class mates out into the training range.

The instructor let them to a field full of flat cardboard targets and told Lumpys class to burn as many as they could.

Lumpy entered the training field, it was surrounded by many other fields designated for the training of other classes. To Lumpy’s left a group of teenage heavies mowed down a collection of stuffed targets while to his right a class of young scouts jumped and sprinted through and obstacle course.

“Whats a heavy,?” Pinkie asked First-Class.

“Oh,...UMmm oh boy how do i describe this, hes a really big guy, and hes really tough,....”

“Uh huh,..”

“And hes got a big machine gun,...”

“hmmm,...hmmm” Pinkie began to look a little uncertain.

“”and he mows down enemies with it while calling them babies and always taking a break for a sandwich or two,”

“Don’t you mean sandwich?”

“Try telling that to him,”

Pinkie raised and eyebrow, then smiled.

“I’m going to have to meet the people you grew up with one of these days, i mean i’ve seen them, but we really have to talk.”

“I would love that, and i think they would love it too.”

Pinkie and First both nodded then Pinkie happily returned to the story.

the instructor pyro blew a whistle and ordered the class to follow his instructions. All the other pyros frantically sprinted at the targets with their weapons blazing not bothering with plans or strategy, they just ran at everything like an idiot.

As the basic strategy of a pyro goes.

Lumpy elected to take things slow, He spied a cardboard cut out of scout that had gone unnoticed by his classmates, Lumpy lifted his degreaser and with a cry charged at the target. He found the column of fire produced by his weapon a little off putting but still sprinted on, Just when the flames were about to hit the scout Lumpy slipped on a loose stone and tripped past the scout, not even managing to singe it a little. Lumpys finger still rested on the trigger of the weapon as he tried to find his footing, the whole spectacle had started attracting a crowd.

Lumpy got back up and went for another charge, this time just as the flames where going to touch the cutout,

“*Click,” Lumpy's degreaser ran out of fuel.

A roar of laughter both muffled and otherwise erupted all around him, Lumpy looked around and saw his entire class gawking at him, along with the instructor who was desperately trying to hide it to spare Lumpy’s feelings.

On the wall to his left a group of heavies where looking over and where slapping their knees out of jest.

To Lumpy's right a bunch of scouts where sitting on top of the their wall, pointing and laughing at the pyro.

Lumpy's face turned red from under his mask, he quickly became angry and pulled out his powerjack, he hoisted it over his head and found that wit was very, very heavy.

The force of him lifting sent it back over his head and caused him to fall directly on his rear.

Another volley of laughs from his adoring audience.

Lumpy had began to see red from the blood boiling in his head, he pulled out his stock shotgun and fired, 10 crit charged pellets flew at the target at the speed of sound and with deadly accuracy, the target was obliterated. the kick from the stockless shotgun hurt the young pyro’s wrist and pushed him onto his back, he dropped the weapon and lay spread out on the gravelly ground as the crowd gasped.

A few seconds later the instructor pyro stepped over Lumpy and helped him up, a bell ran out and everyone started to walk to the mess hall for lunch, the instructor watch Lumpy and as he moped on his way to the lunch room.

There was something special about this young pyro, he could feel it.



Lumpy sauntered through the lunch room, every time he passed by an open seat at a table, someone always filled it. He went up to a table of spies, just as he was going to sit down a spy decloaked in the empty spot, they all laughed as he tried a table of heavies.

Just as he found another empty seat a heavy nonchalantly hoisted his mini-gun into it.

At a table of scouts one quickly slid over, filling two seats a once while smirking, “Denied!” he shouted and the rest smirked at him.

“Hes such a freak,”

“A pyro who can’t even burn things?”

“But did you see that shotgun shot?”

“Pfft, what pyro uses a shotgun?”

“He should be sent home, I give him a week before he flunks.”


Lumpy ignored the ramblings of the others and sat by himself in a completely empty table, he poured some of his lunch into his mask when he hear something that made him spit half of it out.

“Hey there his this seat taken?”


Lumpy sputtered, once he spit enough soup out to talk again he looked up.

He saw a scout pointing to the empty space beside him, Lumpy scooched a little and the scout sat down.

After a few silent bites the scout spoke up, “Saw you out in the training course, rough first day huh?”

Lumpy nodded.

“So what you name?” The scout asked.

“Hmmpy” Lumpy said without thinking.

“Lumpy huh? that cool pyro’s always had strange names.”

Lumpy looked shocked that the scout understood his language.

“Heh, my uncle was a engineer at this school, he taught me how to speak mumbles.”

Lumpy gave a blank look, then smiled, “Hmmm Mmk MMM Mmmmshp.”

The scout smiled,” Yeah i think this is the start of a good friendship, by the way my names Larry.” Larry offered his hand.

Lumpy took it and shook it, not believing his fortune.


“Aaand thats a good stopping point,” First said, closing the book and pulling it from Pinkie’s hands.

Pinkie blinked, “What? no! it was just getting interesting! what happened after that? did lumpy ever learn to use fire?”

“I assure you Lumpy hated fire all his life.” First said smugly.

“Well then how did he fight?”

“You’ll see, when we read it again, maybe tomorrow,”

“Awww, I can’t wait I wish I could make it tomorrow!.”

“Well you seem to have cheered up,”

Pinkie blinked, “Wow, i really have, that story was just so engaging, I guess I forgot all about being sad.”

“Yeah it’ll do that to you.”

Pinkie looked at her son, “Thanks son, I really needed that” Pinkie yawned “ I think we should go to bed now.”

First nodded and Pinkie spread her arms for a hug.

“Yeah but,.......Mom?” First though the word sounded kind of weird.

Pinkie blinked again, “Yeah honey?”

“Why did you give me to dad?”

Pinkie darked a little, “Oh i was young, and scared and stupid.”

“It was a month ago to you.”

“And a month ago I was scared a stupid, I was a immature mare that partied all the time, i thought a kid would put a stop to that, after a few weeks i found out how selfish that statement was and so i wanted you back,.....so infant, 12 year old or old man, I’m glad i have you here, right now,” Pinkie bobbed him lightly on the muzzle with her index finger.

First blushed.

“I Love you son.”

First brought Pinkie in for another hug, this one a bit tighter.

“I love you too,......mommy.”