• Published 20th Aug 2014
  • 898 Views, 49 Comments

Rez: Eqstr[Tera] - NiGHTcapD



Crossover with a game. The hacker from "Rez" finds his network connected to a completely different world, yet physically they remain separated. Connections are made and things are learned on both sides.

  • ...
5
 49
 898

12: Interlude

Today is another good day for social activity.

I arrived in Ponyville and found that Twilight had made a schedule for me. Apparently, she checked it with the others, because Rarity was expecting me any time now. Not one to go against this sort of thing, I asked for the location of her house and left in a hurry.

Apparently she didn't fully run it by all the others. Keyword "run", because a certain cyan speedster almost ran into my avatar, causing me to jump and making my synesthesia flare up again, filling my vision with...well, if you've been following along, you know already.

Anyways, that meeting went by in a flash, after I told about keeping Rarity waiting and Rainbow Dash quickly stating that she was on a schedule of her own.

"So, you hack computers?"

"Yeah. It's kinda hard to explain how it works."

"Well I already know you're a nerd, but just to make sure..."

Without skipping a beat, "Bug is called a bug because of a moth trapped in a relay in 1946. For you, it would be a bug to have one of your automated cloudmakers spout torus-shaped clouds, or continuously create the back of one but not the front like a skipping audio file (being the audiophile I am), or rain diagonally up. Prove it?"

"Yeah, that's proof. Gotta go, seeya bye."

"Bye." And that was that.

A flowing music permeates the "Carousel Boutique". Soft at first appearances, yet rough on the corners, with effects that give a sort of glowing, reflective vibe to the notes. Almost as if it was the sound crystals would make...if they could make a sound, that is. I got permission from the lady of the house before I began playing music, of course.

"So, this music is from a game called...Bejeweled?"

"Yep."

"You match three of one type of gem in a row, and they..."

"Disappear, or at least that's what it looks like. Even when they explode due to special pieces, it's not really a loss. They were never really real to begin with, no mass is created or destroyed."

"What would be the point of such a game?"

"Depends on the mode. High score if it's an endless mode, completion if it's a challenge-by-challenge. I personally prefer the latter."

"..."

"Maybe it's easiest to try it out for yourself. I know I saw you in the network."

"Well, that was sort of a...piggyback."

"Okay, you could piggyback my signal, and you could..."

"No, no, it was not me doing that spell. Twilight helped me on, because I could not do it myself; I do not have the kind of magic power she does."

"...oh. Okay, then...tell you what. I could play it, and map the playscreen to my avatar's texture, or maybe that of something else...like that piece of fabric, that white one right there."

"I suppose we could try that."

As it turns out, Rarity is very good at Bejeweled. As long as there is a match, she's quick to find it, and after 30 minutes she hasn't lost the first game I set her up on.

30 minutes is also the point that she pulls herself away from the game. "I'm very glad you showed me this-one of the more amusing activities I've partaken in! Tell me, is there anything I can do for you in return?"

"I was able to spread knowledge about good things, and I saw it being enjoyed. That's really all I need."

"Yes, but I'd like to repay you somehow! Except that I can't just make a suit for you, because I would need your measurements for that, and I can't get them because you're not actually here...also that you would have a difficult time wearing them, for the same reason."

"I could help you with getting my measurements, but getting the physical items to me would be a completely different issue." She brightens up significantly at that. I smirk, and it shows in my voice. "May I take that as an 'in it for the challenge'?"

Another challenge, another plan. This one works as follows: I download motion tracking software that can track me from my webcam. I set up my webcam to look at me. I set my avatar to not only move with the tracked motion, but map me to its texture-as well as alter the model to better match my shape. Of course, this will not only give measurements, but a good look at me in my own body, but Rarity was there when I first took the webcam out for a spin, so she probably already has a decent idea of what I look like.

"So you can't simply put the 'webcam' on a giant piece of cloth, as you did for the game?"

"You said you get really in-depth with the measurements, right? I'm not about to take that away from you." Plus, I like challenging myself as well.

For lack of better terminology, and for want of a pun, it goes together seamlessly. The one snag is when I got tired of holding that pose, which is when I set the avatar to automatically stay in one position, while keeping the model and various contours. This also reopened conversation, which ended up very quickly turning to what kind of clothes are worn by who and when.

"...and as such, some type of underwear is usually being worn under almost every type of pants. IIRC, underwear is what you first saw through my eyes, right?"

"Yes, packaged...underwear. Good heavens, mass-produced clothing still confuses me!"

"Well, that's because ponies don't wear clothing as much or as often as people. How's it coming together?"

"It just did! Have a look." She held up a rather colorful (not to mention shiny at many places) suit, custom tailored to fit a man who was not there to wear it. Unlike some accounts I've heard, it wasn't unwearably tacky, but it did look like something to reserve for special occasions.

Which basically meant that all I had to say was, "It looks great."

Somehow, I don't really care how, the conversation from there ended up in Rarity being inspired to make some sort of dress based on various forms of my avatar, even though she hadn't seen all levels yet and she knew it. Even though I can sort out the rapid speech pattern of a rambling artist, scientist, genius, or combination thereof, in this case I decide not to after a while and politely ask before excusing myself. I think I can see me and her getting along.

Unfortunately for me, not only has a new anomaly just been found in the network, it seems that a small amount of word has gotten around as to my location (my avatar is now back to its normal Third Form model), and a small crowd has gathered...three, specifically. Three young ponies, with no marks...and I have previously been told who they are.

"Uh...is tomorrow at 11 AM okay for you girls? I kind of have something I gotta do." They nod. "Alright. GLHF, and keep crusading."

I log out.

Author's Note:

Partial inspiration for chapter name.
IIRC: If I Remember Correctly
GLHF: Good Luck, Have Fun
I was once told that once you find your groove, you get a lot more productive. Well, I used to have it, but until the next burst of inspiration or whatnot I'm out of the groove. I blame Nintendo.
You may not see chapters as often, but hell if I'm just going to let this thing outright die. That's not happening. So wish me luck, because I'll find it eventually, but until then, good lives to you all.