• Published 20th Aug 2014
  • 897 Views, 49 Comments

Rez: Eqstr[Tera] - NiGHTcapD



Crossover with a game. The hacker from "Rez" finds his network connected to a completely different world, yet physically they remain separated. Connections are made and things are learned on both sides.

  • ...
5
 49
 897

1: Fundamental

Author's Note:

Hello. I am not breaking the fourth wall, I am speaking to you, the vie...reader as the author of this crossover. I want to make some things clear, in case I look like a bad writer otherwise.
To begin with: upon initial writing of this story, I had not reached the normal required amount of hours watched of the show to know everything that's going on. Even now, I still prefer the literary format of fanfiction-and especially crossovers. If I somehow misrepresent the pony side of things (unlikely at this point, but still), I ask you to tell me where and how I can improve. Or you can yell at me to watch more horses. That works too, I guess.
Secondly: if you have never seen gameplay of Rez, which I feel will make up the majority of readers, go watch some gameplay of it, right now. Seriously. A lot of the stuff I say is going to over your head if you don't have at least a baseline to work with, although I do my best to describe it all in detail. Visuals to work with are still recommended, though. Also, you may want to read what backstory there is on both this and Child of Eden, the latter being a prequel to Rez. Also also, I don't know what I was going to say here. So I'll just yell at you to watch gameplay of trance mission. That works too, I guess.
And one last thing. It's not exactly an OC, but the main character-the hacker-isn't gone into detail, not even in the instruction manuals, not ever. So I'm using headcanons that make sense to me, and hopefully make sense to all of you.
I also really suck at ending rants.
That's really about it. Enjoy!

They call me "Rez".

It's not my name, but it's definitely become my handle. Internet discussions reference me by either "the hacker" or "Rez", government agencies have used it as a codename for me (or so I've heard), even the Eden Incident (not to be confused with the Lumi Incident) has been called the "Rez incident" almost interchangeably. And yet rez isn't even supposed to be a name, just an action. But the only time anyone ever caught me hacking in person, I said it and the name stuck. Enough about my name, however.

Today was meant to be a normal day. I woke up, showered, brushed my teeth, got shaved, dressed, and then sat down at my computer. Oh, my computer. What marvelous things I've done with ye...but I digress. I went onto my favorite forums...those with people that actually understand the network and its workings. I was hoping to get some sort of thing to do...and I got it.

For those not in the know, the K-Project network is similar to any other internet. But it has two key differences that you need to know about to understand what it is I do. One: the data flow is controlled by an artificial intelligence named "Eden". I won't bore you with the details of how it came into being, just know that she exists and I can get to her. Two: I don't sift through lines of code to hack. Sure, I've written lots of code and use pseudocode on a regular basis, but when I see code while hacking, it takes form. Kind of like a video game.

The thing is, not everything coded is beneficial to the system. Sometimes, things find their way in and "clog the tubes", so to quote a very old speech. Bugs, viruses, firewalls protecting the wrong sites...all termed "anomalies". Which is where I come in. I have a program that will resolve (create, make appear, the long term for "rez") an avatar to help take on and take down those anomalies. It's as simple as log in, locate, lock on, scan, then hit it where it hurts-the code itself.

Anyways, there was plenty of discussion about a "scheduled anomaly"; something that shouldn't be in the system, appearing at 10 AM daily, six days in a row and was likely to go for a seventh. Any attempts to discover where it was logging in from were met with errors; it was like it wasn't even a computer! And yet it kept logging in to the same location, every time. Everything about it fit the definition of an anomaly...except it wasn't doing anything, harmful or otherwise. It was just staying in one place, like it was idling...or confused. It couldn't be scanned, and no one else seemed to be able to get any information out of it. By the time I reach the latest comment, various programmers and hackers were begging for me to do something. They were claiming this wasn't just any anomaly, it was an impossibility!

I noted the time on the bottom right corner of my computer screen, 9:30. Looked like a perfect opportunity as ever...and maybe even a challenge. I put my headphones in my ears, began typing commands and saying them out loud simultaneously. I hit enter, and a voice restated what I told it to do. "Logging into area: EQSTR" (sounding out each individual letter) "layer level 07" Seemed like an odd title for a "tube", makes me wonder if it was chosen randomly. And that's a pretty deep layer for something unknown such as this. But I had a job to do, so I looked at the screen, prepared myself, and said into my microphone:

"Rez."

And it did. Seconds later, I was in a familiar area, best described as cyberspace. My avatar, a bunch of mostly parallel floating rectangles in a humanoid shape, floated lazily forwards, pulsating to my music. (Yes, I hack with music on. Yes, it helps me concentrate. And my program bases most actions off of my currently playing music, so yes, it's totally necessary. Although it used to be even more necessary, back when I was blind...I digress.)

This one, however, seemed...different. The vectors were continuous and repeating, and there were a few viruses and programs milling about, so to speak, but the sounds-the most important part to me-the sounds weren't as technological as I'm used to. They were more...upbeat, higher, childlike if you will. And the colors...how best to describe...pastel. It seemed like the sub-system was actively trying to put me in a happier state of mind. (My best comparison to the feeling was when Eden itself was trying to enlighten me...but I once again digress.) It had the opposite effect, instead putting me on edge for what I might meet.

Password_Protector

FIRE_[1x]

Network Opening_[8x]

FIRE_[8x]

Cracking . . .

Security Attack

And just like that, I've breached security for the 7th time. layer level 07 flashes across my screen. I decide to take a look around at the landscape...looks royal, ish. Should only be matter of time before the anomaly rears its head, unless I have to come find-

"Hello?"

Okay, I'm hearing a voice in my head...phones. Definitely the headphones, the computer picked up on it too. But I whirl the reticle around and can't locate a source. It was clearly a female speaking. "Sigh...not another voice-evolved one." There's only one way to get those where you can deal with them. I move my hand to the microphone, making sure it's connected before turning it on. I clear my throat, then speak. "Hello."

"Um...where am I?"

That's a stupid question, to get to this kind of place in the network you have to know where it is! Wait...no program has ever asked a question before, at least without stating quite clearly: "QUERY". Am I out of my depth? "That's a good question. If you wouldn't mind showing yourself to me, I might be able to answer your question."

"What are you?"

"I'm the one who should be asking that question." Maybe it'll come out if I bait it by answering questions.

"I asked you first." Okay, this is not just some normal virus-they don't talk back. No way around it, might as well answer the question.

"I'm the hacker who came here to find you in this subsystem of the K-Project network, because you're not supposed to be here." No response. "I thought you were some kind of rogue program showing up to make waves, but now I'm beginning to think you're something else. What the heck are you?"

"What's a 'program'?"

I am dumbfounded. "After that info dump, I'm not inclined to tell you anything more until or unless you show yourself to me."

Seconds pass. Followed by a full minute and a half of silence. Finally, out from behind a digital pillar, something floats into view. It...well, the best way I can describe it is a purple starburst, mapped to 3D. Six "spokes", vertical stretch, and if viewed from the top, an equilateral pinched hexagram, if you get my gist. Orbiting it are four smaller starbursts, close to the same but white and four-pointed (from both side and top view). I'm unsure what to make of it.

"Happy?"

I lock on to a white starburst, followed by the core purple burst. I check the feed for names.

T_Spark

T_Star

Not what I was honestly expecting. "Yeah, I'm happy." I release lock and let the beams scan the entity.

"Ow!" That's just wrong. Programs, security especially, have staggered after getting hit, but none have actually expressed pain. "What kind of spell was that?" That's even more wrong. I'm a programmer, not a wizard!

I look at the obtained data, then force myself to answer. "That was me scanning you...and you express more traits of an avatar than any other old program." The IP address is glitched. "Where are you logging in from?"

"Stop using words I don't understand!"

"Well, what kind of words should I use?"

"Ones I know!"

"Well sorry if I can't access your dictionary, bits-for-brains! I thought the language of the internet was universal, and I know you're talking in English right now!"

"I do not have money on the brain!"

"WHOA WHOA WHOA hold your horses! I don't recall mentioning money!"

"You did. Bits-for-brains? Really?"

In hindsight, I could have asked if she was talking about bitcoins, but I say what's on my mind at the moment. "Now you're the one talking gibberish. Bits are data storage. Not money, not directly."

A brief pause. "You're not from Equestria, are you?"

"I don't think you're from Earth, either."

A longer pause, before we both belt out "Wait, WHAT?"

"Real quick, what species are you?"

"Unicorn pony."

"And I'm a human."

A shorter pause than last time. "Those actually exist? Yes they do! What, not on your planet?" A really long pause.

I break the silence. "I need to think about my life. Whatever you did to get here, do it again tomorrow, same time. I'll meet you back here."

"Pinky promise?"

I close all fingers on my right hand but the eponymous finger before quickly moving it to my heart, palm facing inwards and pinky facing up and to the left. "Sworn on Eden itself."

It seemed satisfied with that. It fades within seconds. "Rocked out," I utter under my breath. Before I leave, I make sure that I scan the surrounding area. It turns out this subsystem was just created about a week ago, same time as when this "living anomaly" was first spotted. This area arguably shouldn't even exist! I have a lot to think about, so I prepare myself for the forums so that I won't have to think about it alone.

I log out.