• Published 15th Aug 2014
  • 865 Views, 20 Comments

Wisp - rockyrobben



A spirit lost in a world of magic, a half way house between oblivion and the realm of the living, tries to find her place in a world with magical ponies that could destroy her without even noticing.

  • ...
2
 20
 865

The Fury of the Storm

Magic released a long drawn sigh. This was her punishment, it had to be. Was death her only interaction with her world...her ponies? She stared blankly from a cornfield into the town, her hooves clopping together in a series of slow, depressing raps. Congratulations, Void. Well done. She thought she had freed herself. But no, she had merely swapped one chain for another.

The ponies continued with their daily lives, entering some buildings here and some buildings there. She should find this fascinating; the town was a riot of colour now that the sun had returned to its zenith. In some ways, she was glad it was morning again.

The darkness was a familiar fall back, and it soothed those around her, apparently. But her body had ached and twitched in the cover as her eyes searched. It was as if she were a filly that had grown beyond the need for a security blanket.

She craved colour.

She remained seated, staring idly at the scenery while seeing nothing more than blobs of colour moving within her vision. So what was it to be: a life of isolation in the presence of beauty, or a quick trip back to the eternal darkness?

Magic fell onto her back, the spiky strands of wheat poking through her chest. Her heart fluttered as she watched the vibrant colours of the pegasi dart about in front of the most amazing shade of blue. Trails of colour crisscrossed each other as their magical wings cut through the air, mixing into more colours for her to enjoy.

She shook her head. Was she considering giving up?

Slowly, she sank into the ground, her vision fading as the earth swallowed all colour from her sight. But this felt too much like night time. It was as if the dirt sucked at her form, urging her to stay...forever. A shuddering, restless energy permeated every wisp of her form. She could not just rot in the darkness, where the beauty came to die. The surface was where she should be.

The void will have to wait another day then. Magic hummed as the wisps rubbed against each other, creating light. A magical trail, her magical trail, shot out of the earth and high into the sky. The light of day poured back down upon her, smothering her with colour like a mother with kisses, encouraging her on. This is the right decision!

If she could not have ponies, then she would experience every colour there was in this half-way-house of a world.

She span in the air, her form twisting on itself and leaving a helix contrail of violet and blue. She darted and dived, swooped and looped, all the while giggling like a school filly. Patterns of pointed lines, haphazard zigzags and perfect curves appeared before her vision and egged her on. It had been so long since she felt this free...

Had she even stopped to consider her freedom? She had been so concerned with ponies and their abilities that she failed to realise that they could not control her or force her decisions. She was a slave only if she let them.

She was free!

Her breath caught in her lungs. Vapour trails, both magical and physical, danced in a pattern of chaotic beauty above her as the pegasi laughed and played. Below, verdant fields of green, yellow and brown became the stage for the bunnies that hopped casually from burrow to burrow. All around, the birds sang their songs of love and life, hitting notes that soothed her soul.

It was so beautiful, so gloriously fantastic, that tears beaded in the corners of her eyes. This land was perfect, and she was a part it.

But she wasn't, not really.

She tapered off her ascent and stared at the world around her as the lead weights settled in her chest, dragging the smile from her face. She still felt like an observer stuck behind a layer of glass, always watching but never experiencing. Her heart cried to be part of this land; she wanted to fly with the pegasi, pet the bunnies and sing with the birds.

Maybe, one day, that may come true. I will not stop. I will not rest until I find the way home.

She landed on the ground. As she walked, she stood a little taller, with her chain raised in such a way that the wisps in the breeze tickled her neck. She swished her mane out of her eyes. Yes, it can and will happen! I will live to experience this world in full.

The land took on a brighter hue as if she lifted lenses from her eyes. The lead weights still hung in her belly and the doubts still haunted her, but the burden was manageable and the voices muted.

She smiled as she made another decision. This land was hers; she would find its beauty.


Magic travelled on the currents of the winds, humming along to the whistle of the breeze. She ignored the rising sense of dread that bolstered the nagging voices in her head. Why would they complain? She was free!

It had taken her to a patchy sea of grass, whose hills roiled like waves and crashed against the rocky shore of the mountainside. The grass looked tougher here, as if it fought harder for life than its southern cousins. Powdered dirt followed her in the breeze and swirled between the rocks like a mini tornado. Shadows clung to this land as the vast mountain blocked all light. The entire land stunk of the earth and stagnant water.

The darker tones of green, brown and grey amazed her; they were not exuberant like the sky, but subtle, melting into one another like an oil painting. This land oozed with character. Why was that patch of grass darker than the rest? Why did a line of crimson weave its way through that rock? Where did the water for that puddle come from? There were so many stories here, all waiting to be discovered.

Magic felt the presence of the Well that hid within the core of the giant mountain. It was almost as if the column had tried to pull the land with it. She craned back her neck to see higher and higher. In the sky, a network of violet streaks --forming a jagged pattern around where the Well spilled its goods into the world-- greeted her. Just underneath, she saw a strange hoof made structure perching precariously on the edge of the mountainside, its columns and spires reaching out like branches on a tree. Great lines of blue marked the waterfalls that fell with a thunderous hiss.

Magic just wanted to sit there and watch the land glow as the setting sun peaked around the mountainside. However, the landscape was not what held her attention. Standing in front of her were three horned ponies, all staring at each other with equalling measures of indifference. Two wore clothes of black and white, all long sleeved and cuffed at the end, while one small pony decided on a fancy collar and a blue bow tie. One of them even wore a monocle!

The monocled pony removed his top hat with a hoof, revealing a grey mane parted neatly down the centre, and placed it flat against his chest. He lowered his head in a deliberate bow, his horn almost touching the ground. The others mimicked him, the blue maned one also removing his headgear.

The monocled pony cleared his throat. "We are gathered here today to witness the formal duel between Prince Blueblood--" the pony pointed at the foal, who lifted his chin and disturbed his shiny blonde mane "--and Fancy Pants." The foal named Fancy Pants stared daggers at Prince Blueblood.

Magic lost her form and edged closer to the Prince. His coat was so white! Something told her of the importance of that. If only she could touch it, then surely she would remember why.

The monocled pony pulled the cuff of his jacket, stretching out the wrinkles. "I, Fine Blood, am here to referee and serve to witness to this duel. This bout will..."

"Yes, yes..."said Prince Blueblood while stifling a yawn, "That's all well and good, but can you start this already?"

"But sir," said the older unicorn, "The rules state a formal duel must..."

"...blah, blah, blah, blah," said the Prince. Magic could see the blood rush to the older unicorns face, but he masked it well.

"I must insist..." said Fine Blood.

"Are you the Prince?"

"No, sir."

"And who are you?"

"I'm your butler, sir."

"Then be a good butler and do as I say!" The prince turned to his opponent. "You will wish you'd never called me a brutish pig!"

"Hardly," said Fancy Pants, a hint of anger in his voice. His entire posture oozed calm indifference except for a twitching hoof that tapped rhythmically on the hard stone. "I was merely pointing out that your eating style did not allow for others to sit in your near vicinity for fear of getting confectionary thrown in their general direction; not that they could with that belly of yours, of course."

"Was that a fat joke?"

"Indeed."

"Oh, you'll pay."

"I doubt it."

"Yes you will."

"No I won't."

"Yes you will..."

Those words flowed back and forth like a wave on a beach. Was that the duel?

The prince was positively fuming. His cheeks flamed beet red as he puffed himself out like a small, podgy balloon. Air expelled from his tiny muzzle with a pony-like snort.

Fine Blood cleared his throat. "You will be playing for pride. Force spells and shields only. If I catch either of you doing otherwise, I will disqualify you."

"Last chance to back out!" said the prince.

Fancy Pants smiled, "Shall we get started then?"

Magic threw herself backwards as static flowed around the two colts as if the air held its breath. Their horns glowed as the wisps came from nowhere, whizzing closer together. It was as if the horn funnelled them as they passed through.

But where were they getting the energy? There was no haze or aura around these ponies to suck in magic. And they could not just make wisps; it had to come from somewhere and in a large volume.

Magic shuffled closer, alert for any traps. She squinted at their bodies and at the slight shimmering coming from them. There. A tiny string, coloured the same as the glow on their horns, left each pony, and stretched towards the mountain. This connection was infinitely thin, yet glowed mightily as wisps travelled along it and towards the pony.

But where is that energy coming from? It's not taking it from the air.

The Well! The unicorns were connecting to that! The string was like a hose pulling water from a lake.

Crack!

Magic leapt backwards as wisps shot out of the Prince's horn in a short burst of violent --and colourful-- motion. The magic flew unaided towards Fancy Pants.

Wisps, glowing the same golden hue as Fancy Pants's horn, formed an impenetrable orb around him, blocking Magic's vision into the sphere. The wisps were just hovering there, spinning on their axis. Is...the pony doing that? How could this happen? Ponies could not control magic, they just used it.

Then how was that blue maned colt holding the wisps in place like that? Magic knew she could not hold a wisp where it did not want to be. They were mindless things responding to the pull of external forces. Her force was her consciousness, what was his?

Fizz!

The bolt crashed against the shield, exploding with violet energy. The golden orb slid backwards, leaving two hoof sized marks in the dust. The shield dropped as the gathered wisps, held above Fancy Pants's horn, lunged at the prince. The prince raised his orb of silver, which held a mirror like sheen to it.

The air crackled with energy as power surged from one pony to the other, leaving contrails of silver and gold shimmering in the air.

This was not right. How can ponies be this powerful?! The magic was hers! How dare they use her very essence...and control it!

"Had enough yet?" panted the prince.

"Hardly!" shouted Fancy Pants from behind a cloud of dust and magical residue. His horn glowed. Magical missiles, so bright they left spots in Magic's vision, shot into the sky. They curved in the air and struck the prince's shield with a thunderous crack of exploding energy.

How could they be so strong? How could they control the wisps like that? A growl rolled in Magic's throat. Magic was hers. If it wasn't, then what did that make her?

It was all so familiar to her, as if she had lived through it before. A memory of darkness...of energy...of evil came to her. She saw a mare as dark as the night, silhouetted by the moon, laughing into the darkness.

She remembered that mare. She was a spirit of evil...a warrior of the void: The bringer of eternal night.

Her form shuddered and continued shaking. A whine escaped her maw as her focus locked on the exchange of magic. Her ears drooped onto her skull as the white foal stumbled when his shield failed. She reached out to touch him, but her hoof passed right through. She screamed. She had to protect the Creature of White! She was the only hope to keep harmony. She must survive!

Magic stumbled back, remembering.

She used me all up. She was the one who sent me back to the void.

The Creature of White had failed her. She was no protector of harmony; she was a pony, ignorant of her plight! She used and used, just like every-pony else!

I trusted you! Her body buzzed and glowed softly. I protected you! She floated into the air, her eyes closed. And you just used me.

She could not just stand by any more. There was no place she could fly, nowhere she could run. She was a slave in hiding. But, one of these days, a pony would find her and kill her.

Cold fury boiled from within, spilling out as a wordless cry. They had to know of her. They had to see her strength. They had to become...hers, or she would die.

She opened her eyes, revealing two disks of pure white light as the wisps roiled as if in a hurricane. The mountain responded to her call as an entire fragment of the well peeled from the top and bent towards her, drowning her in wisps. Her consciousness opened its embrace to the fuel and she expanded in size. The wisps crashed against one another in a violent bid to break free, but she forced it to swirl on itself, trapping them in an endless orbit. The swirl glowed and then shone as the storm sucked in more power.

The ponies noticed her. They actually noticed her! And their eyes widened at her fury! No longer would she linger in their shadow. She was their queen! She would show them the way, and make them see that their gifts were curses and their power was hers!

She commanded the magic towards the fleeing ponies.

Wisps flew in every direction, as if catapulted out of the storm, ignoring her cries or shouts. She roared in fury as something exploded, burning the grass as the shockwave passed. A meteorite of magic crashed into the earth and kicked up fire and dirt. Huge chunks of rock pierced the storm like shrapnel as the land was torn asunder.

The old one threw up a shield as grey as his mane, hiding them in their little bubble. She giggled, her voice echoing around the storm until it cracked like thunder. They had made their play and, in turn, sealed their fate. They were hers!

She ordered the storm to strike.

But she could not focus her power on the ponies. In fact, the more magic she hurled at them, the further away her attacks fell. There was no controlling the storm. It was as if she had opened the tap and watched as the hosepipe flailed, soaking everything.

But she did not care. One of these strikes would eventually hit, and then everything would be ok. They would serve as a lesson to others. She would no longer abide them abusing her domain; for it was her domain, not theirs.

They would experience what it was like to cower and hide. They would feel the isolation and pain. If it was the last thing she did, she would pay back tenfold what they did to her!

But the dome still stood, barely scraped within her tempest.

Over and over again, she focused her fury upon the dome in an explosive display of violet and blue. Magic expanded herself as large as she could, but the magic slipped through her grasp like a butterfly net through water.

How could a pony, with no knowledge, control a wisp to a standstill, whereas I, with all this power, can do nothing?

Maybe I am not meant to rule them.

Her scream formed the wailing wind and her tears the swirling rain, scouring the land of any green.

She willed more energy. With a low pitched groan, the well bent towards her. No more shall the ponies abuse the gift that was rightfully hers!

They will never cast a spell again!

Rocks tumbled down the mountain as the Well bent into it. The Earth itself shook with the anticipation of her ascension. She laughed into the sky. She was power. She was the storm. Nothing could stop her!

A beam of energy crashed into the shield, deforming its perfect roundness. Sparks of electric blue arced across the cracks forming along the surface of the dome. Suddenly, it shattered in a puff of recoiling wisps. The old one's eyes rolled into the back of his head as the shock hit him like a sledgehammer. In that moment, the winds hurled his body into the swirling mists.

The wind stole the ponies' cries and forced them to buckle down and grip to something for dear life.

Magic smiled; the time for succession was near. No more would she cower before these pathetic creatures. She focused her will one last time, hearing the well groan as it bent almost back on itself, pouring yet more magic into her.

A brilliant, yellow pillar of light cut through her storm as if it were made of nothing. The spotlight illuminated a golden disk around the foals, whose tears glistened on their damp cheeks. Tendrils from the storm fizzled out of existence as if the light were poison to it.

BEGONE! The single command struck her like a supernova, causing her grasp of the tower to slip. Magic panicked as her size dwindled. The wisps just left her, no longer guided by her will, as if this was all a prank. She desperately tried to gather and concentrate what she had left, but they dispersed from her over-expanded form.

Come back to me! she cried. I was so close! The Well screamed as something pushed against it. Come back! Something had cut her grasp. No, something...stronger was willing the Well back into place.

Then, Magic saw her descending from the violet clouds of energy, dispelling it with her presence alone. She was much larger than normal and sported both wings and a horn. Her mane of green, pink and blue stole Magic's gaze. All it took was one look to realise that it was The Creature of White: Princess Celestia! She had come back to send her to the void!

Magic bundled what magic she had left and buzzed, generating a soft glow. She approached the gigantic winged unicorn, returning to her pony form as she did so. Her coat was alive with dancing sparks and her mane felt like it stood on end. Her body tensed with every step closer to that behemoth. How dare you take my power away! She growled, turned and bucked at the princess, but her hooves passed right through.

How dare you ruin this! I was so close!

Tears fell from her cheeks as she tried to bite and tear at the princess, but darkness greeted her as she buried her face inside her enemy.

How can you be so strong? How can you be so powerful? I am Magic! I am the essence you use! Why can't I control it like you can?

Her ears splayed back and her tail tucked beneath her legs as her target sat calmly on the ground, unharmed. I'm doomed. Magic fell onto her rump that looked so empty when compared to the golden sun that adorned the flank of the alicorn. There is no reasoning. There is no controlling. There is no escaping. I will die. Magic slumped as those words floated around her mind.

"Are you alright?" asked the great white alicorn, her brow furrowed with the wrinkles of burden and worry. Magic slunk away from her. There was an intensity to this creature, something so great that it pressed upon everything around her. She exuded strength in such quantities that Magic found her belly scraping the ground as she backed away. Something deep within told Magic that she was the guardian of harmony, incapable of selfish, horrid acts.

But that's wrong! She used me up! She's just like the others!

Magic could see the withheld tears budding in the princess's eyes as she scooped the prince into her embrace. "What have you gotten yourself into this time, nephew?" her words were so soft, yet...commanding. She gave a weak smile that masked the sting in the statement. She hardly looked like a ruler at all, more like a mother torn between reprimanding and comforting her wayward child.

"I...I...I was playing with Fancy Pants..." said Prince Blueblood. The blue maned Fancy Pants, whose suit lay in tatters upon his white coat, nodded fervently. "...And this storm just came out of nowhere! If, if it wasn't for Fine Blood..."

Prince Blueblood sobbed into Celestia's open hoof, smearing tears into the white alicorn's fur. "The storm took him! Auntie, the storm took him!" Celestia just cooed into his ear, making sweet noises to appease him.

Magic was stunned. It was as if she could see after being caught in fog. And she saw foals! She had wanted to hurt them so badly... Magic choked back a sob.

Fancy Pants just sat, numbed by the whole situation.

"Magical storms are rare in these parts," began Celestia. "What, exactly were you doing?"

"Nothing!" cried Blueblood.

Fancy Pants sighed. "We were..."

"Shut up!" shouted Blueblood, colour rising back into his cheeks.

"...Duelling." Fancy Pants glared at the foal, who glared back.

Celestia put a hoof to her chin. "It seems honesty is not lost within the nobility. Very well, I will not blame you for what happened, but I will tell your parents."

Prince Blueblood raised his squeaky voice, but his protest stilled when a white pegasus bearing golden barding over his chest landed next to the princess. He was large and well toned for a pony and his unconcerned glare looked threatening from within his golden helmet.

"Your Majesty." He bowed, his barding riding high enough up his back to reveal the bottom of his kite shield cutie mark. "We have found a pony unconscious a mile or so from here. I've sent a couple of my men to take him straight to hospital while the others sweep the land for the cause to this disruption."

"You see," said Celestia, nudging Blueblood as he cried into her embrace. "Everything is going to be fine. Now, let's get you home."

She turned to the guard. "You've done a fine job, soldier. Please continue to search while I return to the castle."

"Yes, ma'am."

How could she be so caring? Magic put a hoof over her mouth to hold back another sob. She had wanted to attack her! But every action was so graceful, so soothing, she could almost believe that Celestia was no more a threat to her than an ant to a dragon.

And she had attacked them out of...jealousy? Spite? She had made enemies out of creatures that did not even know she existed. What did that make her: some evil tyrant?

No. It made her disharmonious.

Magic's world fell apart around her.

She landed onto her belly with hooves covering her face, peeking at Celestia as she herded the foals with one, massive, outstretched wing. Guilt clawed at her belly, tearing her apart better than any serrated claw could. She had made a terrible decision. How could she be so blinded by her hate? She shivered as she was overcome by an unnerving sense of déjà vu. She had become something she was sworn against.

She deserved to be in the void.

Magic released the dam that held back her tears. Her gentle cries turned into wracking sobs that made her entire form quiver with each motion. She had failed. She had failed...