• Published 10th Aug 2014
  • 447 Views, 5 Comments

Roche Limit - Iamnotarobot



Twilight has to team up with a team of royal astronomers to save Equestria.

  • ...
8
 5
 447

Aeronautics

Telescope's POV

I turned to the back of my body and started remembering, while watching my wings.

~~~

"Happy birthday dear Saturn, happy birthday to you!" I sang, accompanied by four other voices. Saturn smiled and blowed the candles, rekilling a few survivors. We all cheered in glee.

"Would you like to open your gifts now, sweetie?" Saturn's mom, a magenta earth pony with a pale yellow mane, asked.

Saturn stopped licking tan icing from his hoof and shouted:

"Of course!"

My best friend's mother, Sugar Meadow, grabbed a small burgundy case, and handed it to Saturn. He opened it and his smile just grew bigger. He lifted his hoof to reveal a scarlet bowtie. He ran to his parents and hugged them.

"Bowties are cool!"

"I expect great things from you, son." His light gray father said.

"Oh! I'm next!" Saturn's older sister, Milky way, exclaimed.

Saturn trotted to her and grabbed his next present. A book that said:

OBSERVING THE SKY
Astronomical Discoveries Throughout Equestrian History

He gave Milky a kiss on the cheek and left the book on the table, and he put on his bowtie. A dark green filly with an auburn mane walked up to him, looked at him shyly and gave him another gift, which was unpacked, it was some sort of cubic device with a propeller on the top and another one on the front, and an object with an antenna and a couple of buttons.

"Oh boy!" Saturn said, confused by the gift.

"It's ah remote control flying machine." The filly, that I know as Air Flow, said with a smile.

Saturn returned the smile and hugged her. That's nice, he got all his gifts... Oh my gosh! I left my present home! Oh dear! What am i gonna do?! Uh... Screw it, i'll just tell him the truth.

"Um... Saturn, I forgot my present, i'm sorry. May I bring it later?" I asked, feeling honest preoccupation.

"What? Of course! The important thing is that you're here!" He exclaimed.

Wow, Saturn is either a great friend or his lack of sleep is affecting the cognitive areas of his brain. Anyway, I smiled and inserted some cake on my mouth. I'm glad his happy, he has been acting weirder than normal lately, since that science class on eclipses.

~~~

We were all now on the roof of Milky's and Saturn's house, to test Air Flow's gift. Saturn grabbed the toy with one of his hooves and the remote control on the other one, after turning both gadgets on, he proceeded to let go of the autogyro and quickly turned to the remote, he pressed a button on the top and the superior propeller started turning, elevating the device seconds before hitting the ground. He then pressed the left button, causing the front rotor to spin, moving the device forward. We were all amazed by that object soaring through the sky.

"Wow. Were did you get this? If you mind me asking." Saturn questioned.

"Uh... I made it." She said, grinning.

"It's amazing, I..." Saturn didn't end that sentence, his gift had stopped soaring gracefully and started falling at a high speed. Soon it collided with the ground, breaking in five parts, and docens of small chunks of metal. We stared at the remains of the present.

"I'm so sorry, Airie, I didn't..." Saturn was interrupted by Air, saying:

"Don't be, i'll rebuild it, darling." Her Trottingham accent getting stronger in that sentence.

"Really? Thank you!" Saturn responded, hugging her.

The sun is starting to go down now, and I think Air Flow is going home soon. I better get Saturn's gift before it gets too dark.

~~~

Darn! My house is more far than Saturn's house that I thought, it's already night! But lately he has been staying up late, sometimes even not sleeping at all! But I know he will love the present. I finally got there and I saw Saturn jumping up and down in his front lawn, singing and... Oh my gosh he has his cutie mark! I ran up to him.

"Saturn, what's going on?!" I asked.

"I succesfully predicted a Saturn Eclipse! And I got my cutie mark!"

I smiled and said:

"Congratulations, Saturn!" Then I remembered what I was here for.

"Here's your gift!" I gave him a big blob of gift paper. He opened it and gasped.

"Could it be? A new telescope!" He exclaimed.

He inmediately placed the instrument on the ground and pointed to the sky, soon he found the right place.

"It's great, thank you!" He said.

"May I have a look?" I asked.

"Certainly!"

I walked up to the telescope and looked through the lens, there it was, Saturn was tinted gray and its rings were white. I turned away and Saturn (my friend, not the planet) thanked me, I left and returned to my house.

~~~

Milky, Saturn and I were now in the siblings' house waiting for Air Flow to come, she told us that Saturn's gift would be repaired by today. After about twenty minutes she entered the door, her coat was stained with oil, her mane was uncombed and it had small bits of metal on it.

"I did it." She simply said.

She used her olive green magic to reveal the same toy, but modified, it now had wings stretching from either side, the top propeller was larger and there was another rotor on the back. Air handed it to Saturn and he thanked her. We all went up to the roof of the house and tried flying it, it worked like a charm, it could now move faster and do stunts, and when it achieved landing perfectly, a light emerged from Air Flow's flank, and it revealed a cutie mark that represented a wing horzontaly, with blue arrows over it and red ones under it. She smiled and pulled us into a hug.

~~~

The next day, we decided to go to a hill near my house to play with the autogyro. I got there first, then Air Flow and then Saturn and Milky.

"Are we ready?" I asked.

"Absolutely." Saturn answered, with a determined grin.

Saturn started flying the toy, doing stunts, then he passed it to Air, playing for about seven minutes, then it was Milky's turn. I was getting impatient to try it, so I decided to use my newly aquired ability to fly to soar next to the toy, I was having fun, doing aileron rolls and different tricks. Until it happened. I was flying next to the autogyro in a straight line, but without any warning, it did a hundred-eighty turn to face me, I didn't have time to react before it impactet with my face, it was moving so fast that it caused me to start falling, thank Celestia the propeller wasn't pointing directly at me, but I was still falling to a rocky part of the hill.

"Telescope!" Is the last thing I heard before everything going black.

~~~

I saw four ponies over me talking to each other, over what appeared to be a ceiling.

"He has two broken ribs and major damage in the aerial magical artery..." I heard a distant voice say, before blacking out again.

~~~

I woke up, with an awful pain in my wings and in my torso, my vision started getting better, and I could see various tubes going from inside my airfoils to some sort of machine, carrying blood and some sort of gloing golden liquid.

"He's waking up!" A familiar voice said.

I moved my head to see my mom, my older brother, Saturn, Milky and Air staring at me.

"Hi Lensie." My mom said.

I tried to talk but it was very hard, after a lot of effort, I achieved saying:

"Wh-what happened?"

My loved ones looked each other, and Milky nodded, before talking to me.

"After you crashed with Saturn's toy you fell into some rocks, you broke two ribs and..." She cleared her throat and continued.

"You got major damage on your aerial magical artery, a vessel that transports magic to your wings, enabling you to fly."

I felt my heart sink a little, and did more effort to continue talking.

"So..."

"The doctor says you won't be able to fly again... Ever." My mom said, her eyes watering.

Then my heart sinked completely. I'm never flying again. Everypony looked at me, sadly, until Air Flow broke the silence.

"I'm so sorry, I just wanted to have fun with all of you."

I didn't answer. I just thought.

~~~

After two weeks, they finally let me out of the hospital, but they did something in my wings, the end of the feathers covered in metal, then a golden tube streched from them to a metal circle at the base of the wing. I think it's time to continue with my life. I guess...

---

"So that means your wings are totally useless?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"Well, I don't think so, I mean, I can't fly, but O can use them to uh... Carry stuff, making ponies know i'm a pegasus and uh... I don't know, unvoluntarily express my arousal..." I say the last part awkwardly.

"Finally! Princess Celestia responed!" Twilight exclaimed.

"What does it say?" Saturn asked.

"It just says: on it."

Suddenly we heard the sound of a train, no wait, two trains.

Author's Note:

I wan to say that Air Flow has a Trottingham Accent but I won't write it so it won't be awkward. Also remember to give feedback! If you dislike don't be afraid to say why.