• Published 10th Aug 2014
  • 447 Views, 5 Comments

Roche Limit - Iamnotarobot



Twilight has to team up with a team of royal astronomers to save Equestria.

  • ...
8
 5
 447

Planetary Motion

Twilight's POV

"Yes, I took my pills, yes I've gone to my phsychiatrist, ye-" Saturn said, still holding his phone on his ear.

"I'm not hallucinating, I'm here with Twilight Sparkle. Yes, the princess." He then carried his hoof to his head and sighed.

"Look. Listen to me. Listen to me! Im not crazy! No! Don't call mom and dad, they have enough problems already."

I chuckled at that sibling interaction, i know what it's like, your older sibling teasing you calling you insane just because you are bookish and smart...

"Yes, look, I'm putting her on speaker!" He inmediately pressed a button and said:

"Princess, please tell my sister that you're real."

"Umm... Hello?" I asked, putting my head closer to the cell phone.

"It's it actually you?" The voice coming out of the communication device asked.

"Uh... I think." I responded.

"Oh my gosh, princess Twilight! It's you! My brother is your biggest fa-" her statement was interrupted by Saturn turning off speaker. The blushing stallion then said:

"So now, that you know that she's real, could you please come?!"

"Thank you!" He screamed.

"Okay, see you, bye." He finally put his phone back in his robe and turned to me:

"Alright, the dogs are coming."

I smiled and then said:

"Great, but first I have to do something."

---

I walked through the doors and faced the ruler of all Equestria, I cleared my throat and then said:

"Your majesty, I know that you said this issue was extremely confidential, but I was wondering if I could tell my friends in Ponyville about it, to see if anypony has any ideas."

Celestia nodded and responded:

"Of course, Twilight, remember, if you need any asistance, just tell me."

"Sure, your Majesty." I answered. After saying that, I turned around and left.

---

Saturn's POV

We were all now on a train to Ponyville, I've never actually been there, both Milky and I have been born on Baltimare but lived on Canterlot during our whole life. Milky and Telescope sat next to each other on one side, leaving me next to Twilight in a rather awkward silence, now, I would have been watching through the window, but she sat on that end of the seat, so if I wanted to look over there, I had to go over her. Come on, Saturn, make a conversation, something, hm... Let's see the possible topics:

Her mane smelling nice. No.

Her mane smelling really nice. Heck no.

Me being the creator of twilightsparkleisbestpony.com, .net and .org. No. Just no.

I turned my head to the right, were three little fillies were seating, looking rather sad. The white one then said:

"Come on girls, we may have not gotten our cutie marks on water purifying, but we got to visit Canterlot."

"Yeah, Ah guess" the yellow one responded.

"Next time, it's my turn to have a new idea to get our cutie marks" the orange one added.

Cutie marks, cutie mark, cutie mark!

How I got my cutie mark. Ding! ding! Ding! We got a winner!

I turned to the three fillies and said:

"Hey! Are you trying to get your cutie marks?"

The three fillies turned to me, but before they could say anything, I heard a voice behind me:

"Sweetie belle, Scootaloo, Applebloom?! What are you doing here?"

"Uhh... Cutie mark crusading?" The three responded at the same time.

I continued:

"I got my cutie mark when I was around your age..."

I started thinking and remembering, I could also notice Twilight, Milky and Telescope getting closer, paying attention. I turned to my flank, displaying a pictographic representation of a Saturnian syzygy.

"When I was little, I was very smart, well, I still am, but very smart for my age, I always loved science class at school, specially Astronomy."

---

I entered the classroom and sat down on my desk, ignoring the utter chaos around me, the few minutes before the teacher came to class were always full of Entropy. I turned to my schedule and saw the first class. Math, ugh, I know math is important for everything but I just don't like it, besides, the teacher is kinda... Weird, they said they once found him crying on the back of the school.

But I ignored that and turned to my left, fillies talking in their weird extraterrestrial language, colts playing with a ball even thugh being telled not to play with that inside the classroom and, oh, Solar Flare, mom tells me that I needed to be sociable with everypony in my classroom, just like my sister, but she fails to realize that my sister is more open than the Equestrian Air and Space administration during the cold war and her head is more empty than the vacumm of space, and yet, I suck more than a black hole.

Back to the Solar Flare thing, I tried being nice to him, but that didn't work well, it was on Milky's birthday party...

I walked to the bright orange unicorn and happily said:

"Hello, my name is Saturn Eclipse, and I brought some cake for you!"

I brought the baked dessert up to him, before he punched me on the stomach, making me fall to the ground, he then took the cake and left. I raised my voice and said:

"Th- the forks are in th-the table." Before laying on the ground some more.

The bedevilment didn't end there, there was a lot of supply stealing, homework sabotaging and book incineration, after a while I started ignoring him, and that was for the best, but that didn't mean that I still didn't hated him, no, hate is not the right word, I despise him, I loathe him, I rebuke him, yes! Rebuke is the word.

My self and world hate thoughts were interrupted by a tall stallion entering the room:

"Good morning class!"

I sighed and turned to my textbook.

~~~

It's finally over! Ugh! Neighstein's theory of relativity says that time gets slower close to an object with a large gravity, but in math class it just stops.

But thank Celestia my favorite class is next! Science! I've always loved space, and I think it may be my occipation for the future, but I haven't really done anything to it that could give me my cutie mark, that reminded me of another reason why I rebuke Solar Flare, he got his cutie mark in Astronomy! And he hates it! What?! What?!

Soon my frown got replaced by a grin when a tan stallion entered the room and said:

"Hello class, I- class..."

Then the class setttled down and our teacher, Periodic Table continued:

"Thank you, today we will proceed with our topic: The solar system."

My smile just grew wider as he turned to the blackboard and wrote:

PLANETARY MOTION

"Okay, can someone tell me how do planets and other celestial objects move?" He asked.

My hoof rocketed as far as it could go and started wiggling in the air. Table turned to me with a smile and said:

"Saturn?"

"Planets, moons and planetoids rotate around their own axis and around the Sun or planet, depending on which body are we talking about. Both movements occur thanks to gravity!" I yelled.

"Great." My teacher said.

"There are three laws of planetary movement, the first law, Kepler's first law - sometimes referred to as the law of ellipses - explains that planets are orbiting the sun in a path described as an ellipse."

I listened, my eyes wide paying attention to every word he says. Every single word.

"Kepler's second law - sometimes referred to as the law of equal areas - describes the speed at which any given planet will move while orbiting the sun. The speed at which any planet moves through space is constantly changing. A planet moves fastest when it is closest to the sun and slowest when it is furthest from it."

~~~

"... And that concludes the third law, reffered as the law of harmonies."

"Law of harmonies..." I said to myself, just before the bell rang.

"Okay class, tomorrow we will talk about the syzygy."

Syzygy? Uh... I'm not sure what does that mean... But meh, I will learn tomorrow, my next class is social studies...

~~~

"And then basketball hoop realizes he as been in love with her all along!" My sister, Milky Way, screamed, followed by a high-pitched scream.

I rolled my eyes, and then said:

"Yes I know, I watched it." Don't get me wrong, I didn't want to watch it, but I lost a bet. It turns out you can forget how to ride a bike.

We finally reached school and said goodbye to each other and walked to my classroom, thank Celestia the next class was science, unfortunately the class after that was physical education, I hate PE! What do you even learn? How will knowing how to throw a ball gonna help me get a job? And besides that class is stupid and torturous, its a vortex of dying souls that slowly and painfuly leave the body, and the unfortunate victims that have the sad destiny of suffering in that cauldron of entropy cry and scream as they see this torturous, horrible experience. It's also stupid.

I sit in my desk and prepared for the best class. Finally I sae the stallion with the cutie mark that resembled a square with the word "Hydrogen", a letter H and the number one.

He walked to the blackboard and started writing, meanwhile he said:

"Hello class! Today we will continue learning about the solar System, now has someone heard the word Syzygy?"

He walked away from the blackboard to reveal the word:

ECLIPSES

He looked around to see if somepony had lifted his or her hoof. No one had, he seemed a bit surprised when he saw my hoof on my desk, nevertheless, he continued:

"Okay, Syzygy is the term for when three bodies in the space are lined up in a row, for example, during an Eclipse, the Sun, the Moon and the Earth are in Syzygy."

The whole class said:

"Ohh..."

A syzygy. Well, even though it sounds like the sound I make when I sneeze, it sounds pretty sciency.

"The most important kind of Syzygy is the Eclipse, and we are going to learn about it today."

Eclipses, I should pay attention, after all, that word is my middle name!

"A solar eclipse occurs when the Moon passes in front of the Sun causing a shadow to fall on certain portions of the Earth. The eclipse is not seen from every place on Earth, but only from the locations where the shadow falls. From these locations, it appears as if the Sun has gone dark. " He said.

I continued listening, this is getting interesting.

"A lunar eclipse occurs when the Moon passes through the Earth's shadow. Lunar eclipses have the same three phases or types as solar eclipses including the umbra (total), antumbra (annular), and penumbra (partial). Lunar eclipses can be seen by a much larger area of the Earth than solar eclipses. They also can be viewed without special equipment to protect the eyes."

Hmm...

"And finally, there are other kinds of Eclipses, for example, a couple years ago, the Earth's and Mars' orbits got very close, and the moon eclipsed mars, it was wonderful. We also have seen minor planetoids eclipsing Jupiter, venus, U-"

"Saturn?!" I screamed/asked.

"Yes, an asteroid called Cerberus eclipsed Saturn ten years ago, some say it has happened before but there is no written record of it."

Wait a minute, ten years, i'm ten years old! A Saturn eclipse occured when i was born, could this relate to my name? I have some digging to do.

~~~

I walked to the Canterlot library, as I entered, I saw a lavender unicorn filly leave, I didn't pay much attention and walked directly to the astronomy section, I took out a pencil and a notebook from my saddlebag and started working.

~~~

Yes, almost exactly ten years ago an asteroid called Cerberus passed in front of Saturn in just the right position to Eclipse it.
Before I continued, I ran back to my house, which was basically next to the library and entered.

"Mom?!"

"Yes sweetie?" She responded.

"Can I ask you something?" I questioned.

"Of course darling, what's wrong?"

"Well... Today at science class I learned that a Saturn Eclipse occured ten years ago. Is that somehow related to my name?

My mother smiled and said:

"Yes, sweetheart, just after you were born this astronomical event happened, so we decided to name you like that."

"Interesting, do you know of this phenomenon happened before?"

"No, sorry, dear, but you can investigate."

"I can and I will." I responded, determination in my voice. I ran back to the library.

"Come home before dinner!" I heard my mom yell.

~~~

After reading about three hundred pages on a book on Asteroids, comets and other planetoids, I finally found Cerberus. Yep. This asteroid passed 3 AUs away from Earth, eclipsing Saturn that in that moment was roughly 8 AUs from Earth at the time.

Now, I have to see if another Saturn Eclipse before that, once that is done maybe I can know when the next one will come!

~~~

Well, that was a big ball of poop, I found nothing, every time I searched 'Cerberus' I only found the creature that protects Tartarus. Ugh! Oh my gosh! Look at the time! I quickly grabbed a book on the history of astronomy galloped through the door.

"Dear Celestia! Where have you been Saturn?!" My mom asked, clearly worried.

"Trying to find historical evidence of a Saturnian syzygy occuring durong a timespan older than ten terrestrial years." I respond, my voice comparable to that one of a zombie pony

Mom sighed and just said:

"Go to bed, you have school tomorrw."

I had forgotten completely about school. Hmph... If i'm lucky a flash flood will come and everypony on Canterlot will drown. If i'm really lucky.

I laid on my bed, trying to sleep but failing.

"Saturn Eclipse. Cerberus. Syzygy."

Oh great! It's time for my beloved late night self-conversations!

"Why would an event so important like a Saturnian Eclipse could have so much little information?!"

"Oh right, because everypony is a moron. I am a moron."

I turned my head to my left and saw my desk, and on top of it the burgundy book with golden letters that said:

History of Astronomy throught Equestrian history

"Screw it." I got up from my bed and turned on a candle, grabbed the book and started reading from where I left it.

~~~

"Saturn! Time for school!"

What?! Is it day already? Wow. I spent all night reading this darned book.

"Saturn! Sweetie, get up"

Now the sleeplessness came. My hooves moved as slowly as they could as they closed the book, but the acceleration of a worried mom is much greater than the velocity of a sleepless colt's hooves.

My mom opened the door and gasped.

"Saturn! Did you stay up all night reading that book?!"

I slowly turned my head to her and embarassedly nodded.

"Ugh! Just take a shower, today's friday, so you can catch up on your sleep."

I smiled weakly and walked to the bathroom.slowly.

~~~

Yeah, you thought that the shower would make my sleepiness go away? Guess what? It didn't. It just made me smell nice. However, that sleepless night was not worthless, I got to a period were Cerberus got discovered, about twenty-seven years ago. Soon they will start tracking the asteroid and the Eclipse will be detected. But I will do that later, for now I just have to try to stay awake during school.

~~~

I failed in my noble quest. No not the eclipse thing, I fell asleep at social studies class. My foal-comparable slumber gave me energy (and a notification to my parents) so I can continue with my other noble quest. I ran home and got to my room and when I went to my desk... The book was not there. My still unstable colt brain told my mouth to yell:

"Where is the flipping book?!"

My mom and dad came and said:

"Saturn, we're worried, you didn't sleep at all last night."

"Sorry, i'm so close to making a discovery."

My dad sighed.

"Son, that's what you said when you discovered that twinkle twinkle little star and the ABCs had the same tune."

"Okay, in my defense, that is amzing. Second, please just let me finish reading it."

My mom turned to my dad, who nodded.

"Okay Saturn, you can keep it, but please don't get obsessed."

"C'mon, mom, when have I obsessed over something? Don't answer that question."

Then, without a word my parents gave me the book and left.

I opened it with amazing speed and started reading, oh boy! I'm close! I feel it!

~~~

Make friends, they said, you're insane, they said!

I did it! The first documented Saturnian Syzygy ocurred nineteen years and three houndred and sixty one days ago!

Wow. I forgot my birthday is in four days.

But I did it! The asteroid Cerberus eclipses Saturn every ten years!

The next Saturn Eclipse will occur on four days!

"The next Saturn Eclipse will occur on four days!" I yelled.

My dad, my mom and Milky ran through my door.

"Saturn! Are you okay?" My sister asked.

"I couldn't be better!" I yelled, jumping through the air.

"What, are you in love?" My dad asked.

I stopped jumping and glared at my dad.

"No. I calculated the date of the next Saturn eclipse. It's in four days!"

"That's great sweetie!"
"I'm proud of you son."
"Wait, what?"

I'll just have to wait.

~~~

Those were the four longest days of my young life. But finally, the day came, I sat on my house's front yard with my trusty telescope and a cup of coffee, yes, I drink coffee. At last, I pointed the planet that has been orbiting my head during the last week. And there it was, the planet that was always yellow was gray, and it's rings were white. I succesfuly predicted a Saturn Eclipse, I wasn't done celebrating ehen a blinding light was emitted from my flank that soon was ornamented with an image of Saturn during the eclipse. I admit I cried a bit that night.

---

"And that is how I got my cutie mark." I said, proud.

"Wow" the three fillies said. "You know what this means?"

"Yes, you just have to work hard and-" I was interrupted by the three younglings saying:

"We have to try some nerd thing to get our cutie mark!"

I sighed and rested my head on the table in front of my seat. But then I felt my body being embraced by a warm object. I slowly moved my head to discover Twilight hugging me. She's hugging me!

"I think that was a great story. She said.

I could feel my face getting tomato red.

Author's Note:

Now, probably a smart person that reads this will say that the astronomical information in this was horribly wrong, but guys, this happens in a world of magical talking ponies! Let's just use our...

http://spongebob.wikia.com/wiki/File:Spongebob_Imagination_by_kssael.png