• Published 30th Aug 2015
  • 348 Views, 18 Comments

TMPDA: Last One In The Nest - Myriad of Failure



When what was supposed to be a break from the detecting work turns into a dark scheme, a young bat pony detective must uncover the criminals before they catch her...

  • ...
 18
 348

Time to Catch a Criminal

Author's Note:

Apparently, I am currently incapable of sticking to schedules. I'd like to say the next chapter will be out next Saturday, but I've realised I can't exactly promise that. It'll be out once I've had time to edit it in about a week-ish.

My notes are at the top this time as a little warning:
It is a bit of a violent, slightly gory chapter. I don't think anything is hideously explicit - but just to warn you in case you shock easily or are a bit squeamish.

"Day to Magma - King of Ruby Horde."

Those great white eyes turned to observe me coolly. It was a few hours before dinner would be served, again as a collective meal, nevertheless, you could already feel the tension around camp - the ponies knew the hospitality would only last so long. They knew they were not free to leave.

"Day to Thestral." He was currently residing in his large lava bath, with all except his curved snout hidden beneath the bubbling sludge. "Speak of duty, Thestral. I desire truth. Today, egg lost?"

"No." I hesitated, keeping one wing over the flap on my saddle bag. The other dragons had dispersed for the time being, so we seemed to be alone. The ponies were in their camp. Finally, I wasn't worried whether Crater was following me or not. "Villain yield - egg found."

Magma waited for a heart beat, rising out of the lava slowly so that he could better glare at me. "Speak of meaning - Thestral guard." There was a dangerous rumble deep in his throat.

"I have the egg - it's here in my bag." I patted it with my wing. "But I can't tell you who stole it - only that they must return to Canterlot in time to face judgement there."

The next few seconds were almost unbearable. "Why may we not know the name of the villain? Do you not know, or would you offer them concealment? I command you to tell me."

"You asked me to find the egg - which I have - and deliver it back to the horde - which I'm doing." Facing him directly, I took a deep breath for reassurance. "Honestly? I'm protecting the thief because they're not the villain." Pausing for a moment, I let him consider this. "This crime was committed out of fear - in order to protect family. I can't condemn that. If you want to know the real villain, I will admit that your horde was the victim of a black-market operation conducted by a group of griffons."

Exhaling slowly, so that steam rose from between his gritted teeth, Magma took his time.

"Griffons?"

"Yes - a select group - nothing to do with the rest of them." Despite saying that, I knew their feud wouldn't be altered through the knowledge that it wasn't the majority; relations were too poor to start with. "And I'm going to have them arrested as soon as possible - hopefully in the next twenty-four hours." I didn't mention that I wasn't actually able to arrest anyone. That was something else I needed to consider...

"I would see the egg." I pulled it out of the bag carefully. As described, it was a speckled egg, about half a foot long, and looked like somepony had spilt blue powder over it. Looking at it in my wing, its colouring complemented my own quite nicely. Magma inspected it closely, possibly to ensure it wasn't fake. "I am satisfied." He drew back, though his eyes still narrowed into slits. "You will return it to the mother, and go about your secretive work. However," his wing raised out of the lava to point at me, dripping molten rock inches from my hooves, "the Ruby Horde will remain in Equestria - with your princess - until we have notice that punishment has been passed on these villains."

"I'll deliver the message to you personally." Stowing the egg back into the safety of my bags, I lowered into a bow - keeping my muzzle a few inches from the sizzling rock. With so much to do before then, perhaps it was a little optimistic to make that promise - nevertheless, if it wasn't kept, it was unlikely I'd have to meet this dragon king again. Hopefully.

I left, only realising later that I'd agreed to leaving Twilight here.

It was a good thing she wasn't the thief.

After returning the egg (to an annoyingly ungrateful mother), I hurried back to camp. Ponies were muttering to each other, clearly nervous. Well, except Secret - but I don't think she'd realised what was going on. Heat Haze sat a little away from everypony else, remaining quietly contemplative; I'd promised anonymity, but had asked Cloud Drift to keep an eye on her. At any rate, I was going to need him if all of this was going to go to plan - there was no way of doing this without him having a slight inkling.

Spike noticed me returning. With a wave of a wing, he came over to me, claws twisting nervously across his stomach.

"What's going on? The treaty's finished, but they won't -"

"It's alright, Spike. Magma's going to sign the treaty." Draping a wing over his shoulder (it was the closest thing I could reach), I forced him lower to my level. "I need you to bring Twilight over - I'll explain everything to you then." With a nod, he waddled off. Moving out of earshot of unwanted listeners, I waited, using the time to put the finishing touches to my plan. I had been going to get Twilight to throw around a little of her princess-ly weight, however, it was apparent that couldn't happen.

"Is everything going to be okay?" Twilight came up beside me, followed by Spike and Fluttershy. I hadn't asked for her. "You've found the egg? I assume you must have, if Lord Magma's willing to sign the deal now."

"I have found it, and returned it - but there are a few... loose ends that need tying up."

Ever the practical mare, Twilight smiled, pulling out a note pad and quill in her telekinesis. "So, what can we do to help?"

"Well... you might struggle to help, personally, seeing as you aren't allowed to leave until the thief and their employers have been arrested."

"We can't leave?" Spike protested. "What about the thief? Why haven't you arrested them already? Who are they?"

I held up a hoof for silence. "Only Princess Twilight needs to stay - I'm going to meet the thief's bosses. Everypony else is free to leave once the thing's been signed." To answer Twilight's confused eyebrow, I added, "King Magma's orders, I'm afraid"

"I guess... maybe - I ought to stay as well then...?" Fluttershy murmured, giving Twilight a shaky, but reassuring smile.

"I'm staying too!"

"Not you, Spike. I need you to go back to Canterlot." His eyes widened accordingly, only tearing themselves from me to receive approval from Twilight. "We'll be travelling as fast as possible, and I need somepony to notify the Equestrian Police Department. Seeing as I can't arrest ponies, it would be very useful to have them on-board." Taking out a slip of paper from my bags, I hoofed it to Spike. "This is where they need to go - there'll be a few angry griffons in need of detaining. I'm relying on you." Beaming, he gripped the scrap tightly.

I had meant to ask Dust Trail to go to the police department, knowing she was fast and imposing. Although - having been an art-smuggler and one-time murder suspect - I decided that wasn't the best plan. Anyway, as Twilight's personal assistant, Spike's words would carry some importance.

"I'll try and return with the official documents as soon as I can." I promised Twilight, grimacing slightly. "Especially as I'm going to take one of your guards away with me."

"We should be fine here, I'm sure. I've never really worried about needing guards." For some reason, at this statement Fluttershy giggled quietly into her hoof. She may have thought nopony would notice (you would assume that; she's quieter that a moth sneezing), but I did. Not that there was time to question it. "But if anything happens to Spike -"

"I know - I get banished to... um, eternal solitude?"

Worryingly, Twilight nodded. "In that case, you'd better start packing, Spike." With a grin so wide it could eclipse the Sun, Spike trotted off to his tent, tail flicking in the air. "Actually, the punishment is being banished to Discord's for a month to learn the values of friendship." Ending on that positive note, Twilight went to check on Spike. At least if that should happen, I would be able to confront Discord on his conduct towards the Glorious Moon Princess...

"Oh, um, before you go -" I held out a hoof to Fluttershy, pushing back my newly-found Discord-grudge and feeling my wings beginning to sweat. Obviously, I regretted saying anything as soon as I opened my mouth - unfortunately it was too late to shut it again. "I think... I, er - I should apologise to you..." When her little yellow face tilted in confusion, I was forced to explain myself. "The other day - when I ran off - that, that wasn't your fault. You know - I just... have a bit of a... a phobia - that's all..."

"... Oh - oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"No - no - you're not the one that's supposed to apologise." I grinned nervously, but stopped when I noticed her turning the shade of off-milk. "I'm saying sorry for worrying you, and for interrupting you - and I'm going to leave now so that you don't have to worry about how to reply. Alright?"

"Um, okay... if you say so..."

Before the situation could develop into something even more horrifically awkward, I hurried away to my tent.


I missed the historic event of the first treaty between dragons and Equestrians being signed. To be honest, I'd missed quite a few 'historic events' - I've never been to the Equestrian Games, I did sleep through the changeling invasion (and the proceeding wedding) as well as Twilight's coronation - which, as a once in a lifetime event, I really shouldn't have slept through. Especially as I was meant to be on duty at the time. I'd even missed the final of the Royal Guard hoofball tournament between the Day and Night Guards.

However, on this occasion, I didn't miss it due to an alcohol-induced stupor.

Instead, I was putting the final touches to my master plan.

Heat Haze was going to stay here with Twilight. That way, she could remain anonymous in regards to the crime, but would be under the ever-watchful eye of Iron Discipline. Having her leave with me would be too obvious. It was unlikely that the other scholars would stay too long - they weren't suited to living out here - and Perfect and Dust Trail were hoping to return to Canterlot as soon as possible to adopt their nephew. This meant when I eventually returned with the arrest warrant, the whole business could be conducted discretely.

Before that could happen, however, I needed to catch these griffons.

Heat Haze had given me the description of the hideout, which was actually a small cave located in the cliffs of Horseshoe Bay. I couldn't help but smile when she told me this - something she called an isolated point, I knew was the home of a whole colony of bat ponies. One of my old friends came from there - not that I would find her there tonight. She was now serving in Princess Luna's Personal Guard, and would be resolutely stood outside of her chamber doors, looking as immaculate as ever.

Presently, the rest of the ponies returned. As promised, Spike and Cloud Drift had already packed and were ready to leave. Cloud nodded in my direction, but I held up a hoof, mouthing to him that I needed a couple of minutes.

"How did you do it, batty?" Dust Trail ignored my anxious demeanour and slapped my shoulder roughly.

"Oh, you know - my natural wit and cunning -"

"So where was it?" She grinned. "Did it drop behind some rocks? Did another mother take it? Did -"

"It was disguised as a pillow." I returned her with a wing slap and a mischievous grin while she stared at me uncomprehendingly. "Now, I'm afraid I've got to hurry off - but we must meet up sometime when we're both in Canterlot. I know a great place for lunch where foals can come too." Before she could reply, I jumped into the air and flew over to a certain steel-grey unicorn.

"Iron! We haven't had much time for chatting, have we?"

"Thankfully not."

"Look," I held out my hoof openly, "I'm leaving now, but I need a teeny, tiny favour from you."

"Princess Twilight has already informed me that we shall be remaining here for some time."

"Yeah - while you're doing that, can you keep an eye on Heat Haze for me? She's the red and green pegasus - looks like a tomato and a lime had an unfortunate love child."

"I know who Heat Haze is."

"Good." I put a wing over his shoulder. "She's just staying late as well, and I know she's worried about something - she's just hired me for a job - so it'd be great if you could make sure she stays here, and doesn't leave."

"Why can't she leave?" He picked my wing off and fixed it to my side in a flash of amber magic.

"I need to see to a private, investigative matter which she may have second thoughts about. Seeing as you are such an outstanding Junior Captain, I'm sure I can trust you to keep this confidential..." I flashed him a conspiratorial wink, "because I'm staking out her coltfriend to see if he's having an affair. Heat Haze feels awfully guilty about spying on him - but it's for the best that she knows the truth - so please try and make sure she doesn't come after me. Oh - and give her this. It'll help distract her." I hoofed him the leather-bound book Orion had given me. It would be helpful to Heat Haze, and I could get it back later. For now, I wanted to know that it was being looked after.

He sighed, openly glaring at me. "Okay. But you know I'm not here to foalsit your clients."

"You're the best, Iron!" I hugged him against his will before bounding away. Like a well-trained sewer maintenance pony, I controlled my gag reflexes. I never wanted to be that close to the unicorn ever again, even if it was in the name of honest deception. Luckily, even if he did ignore me, it was unlikely that Heat Haze would try to run away; she may be able to avoid her own arrest, but I had told her I was going to relocate her daughter, without mentioning where that would be. If she wanted to see her again, she was going to need to cooperate. Nevertheless, it always paid to be careful.

With that sorted, I picked up my saddlebags and found Cloud Drift. Together we went in search of Spike.

Twilight had cornered him and was carefully checking that he'd packed everything, while he scribbled furiously a roll of paper. With a proud flourish, he dotted the final sentence.

"Finished!" Spikes emerald eyes flicked over to Cloud and myself. "Can I go now?"

Twilight poked through his bags once last time, levitating them onto his shoulders and tightening the straps. "You haven't sent the letter yet, Spike."

"Who's the letter to?" I quickly asked, spying an opportunity.

"Princess Celestia," Twilight replied, "I was just telling her that the meeting was a success - except for us staying late - but I'm sure it'll be a brilliant opportunity to get to talk to these dragons without the worry of trade deals."

"Could you add a bit on the end to send to Princess Luna?"

"I don't see why not," Twilight said slowly, motioning for Spike to keep writing.

"Um - you want me to dictate?" Spike nodded, quill at the ready. "Dear Princess Luna, it's that bat pony you hired - Nocturne. Could I ask that you spare a few of your Night Guards to accompany an important mission to arrest some dangerous griffons? I'm sure a few recruits or newly sworn-in soldiers would do - it can be a sort of training exercise - along with Lieutenant Orion, please. I'm sending Junior Captain Cloud Drift presently to fetch them - obviously if that's alright with you... you are the boss, after all... But, yes - some guards, please, for tonight, helping catch some griffons, to meet me at Horseshoe Bay ASAP. Yours, with eternal devotion, Nocturne." I hesitated, asking, "Do you think she'd be more likely to agree if we put a kiss on the end?"

"I'm sure it'll be fine..." Twilight flashed a forced grin. I flushed - it wasn't my fault I wasn't used to dictation.

In a burst of green fire (which took me by surprise, I'm not going to lie), the letter disappeared in a flash. I just had to hope that the message made it to the Glorious Moon Goddess, and wasn't now a cloud of ash that Spike had inhaled.

With a quick hug, Twilight released Spike to us. I tried not to giggle at Spike's crimson complexion as he waddled away.

Unfortunately, there was one final person to see.

"Magma - King of Ruby Horde." I approached the giant where he reclined against a large boulder. "We take our leave now - but I will return as soon as equinely possible with those arrests."

He surveyed my small band of followers. "I presume the thief leaves with you?"

"I'm afraid, for their own safety, they must remain anonymous - so I can't say where they are. However, I assure you that they are under the strictest... restrictions."

Scarlet eyebrows frowned deeply, nevertheless, he didn't question my decision. "Then I wish you a swift journey, Nocturne - daughter of Lonely Colony. Sky yield to Thestral."

I bowed low, stretching out the aches in my wings. I had been ignoring the pain, caught up in the thrill of the investigation. I was going to need to ignore it a little longer. "Stars of service to Drake."

We left. I planned to make the walk with Spike and Cloud all the way to Dodge Junction before separating to fly across Hayseed Swamps to the coast. The colts would board the train to Canterlot, fetch reinforcements, and follow a few hours behind - hopefully using a sky carriage, otherwise it would be the next morning before they arrived. If they followed my instructions, Spike would stay with Heat Haze's daughter and mother in Canterlot while Cloud was trusted to lead both the police and the guards to the bay.

This way, I'd have time to take a quick rest, and check out the cave before the others got there. This gave valuable time for planning how to take the cave without alerting the griffons inside.

Simple. Quick. Effective.

Little happened during our walk. Spike bemoaned missing the feast, Cloud told us a few terrible jokes, I went over what they'd need to do. We managed to reach Dodge Junction in an hour and a half, so that we arrived with the Sun still lurking in the sky, and our shadows stretching long across the ground. Unfortunately, their train wouldn't leave for another hour.

After pulling out a handy map, Cloud Drift considered the distance too far for him to fly to Canterlot and back (although Spike could have managed his trip - but his was less than half the distance), and opted to wait.

I took the opportunity to rest my hooves. No point flying across the swamps now if backup wouldn't arrive until the morning - if that.

Occupying himself with a comic, Spike left Cloud and myself sat on a bench together. Cloud was starting to get a little fidgety, like a foal waiting for school to be over while on a sugar-rush. Poor soldiering right there, I tell you. A true guard should remain perfectly stoic and resolute while carrying out any kind of mission - despite the risks, the difficulties, and the time-delays.

"Don't worry - I'm sure a few hours won't make too much of a difference." I offered, nudging him with a wing. My own hoof was tapping incessantly, and I kept opening and closing my wings, but I had the excuse of preventing my muscles from seizing up. I would never fly across the swamps with cramp.

"You said we were in a hurry."

"Only to keep the dragons happy," I shrugged, "the griffons are staying put for... well, we've been here four days - haven't we? - so they won't start to worry for another three - if that; the dragons aren't leaving until we're done - and the griffons won't panic until the dragons leave. So, like I said," I reclined a little further down in my seat, "a couple of hours won't hurt."

Cloud fell silent after a quick flash of white teeth. Maybe he was just a bit put off by having to fly to the coast in the dark.

I turned away from my pegasus, looking over to my right to where the Sun was slowly beginning to set, its cloying rays finally releasing the earth as it slipped beneath the horizon. The sparse clouds overhead echoed the last light, before surrendering to the deep blue of night to wash over them, rendering them as one with the sky. To the other side, the Moon was able to lift up, its silver light bathing the land with its cool gaze.

In these minutes of calm, a horrible thought washed over me. I was going to be back in Canterlot just as my holiday ended. Once the whole matter was sorted out, I could be back by tomorrow evening, and working the next morning. If only the treaty had taken longer, or the egg had been harder to find, or Conundrum had given me two weeks off instead of the one.

Maybe the dragons would let me stay with them for a little longer. I was an honorary member of the horde...

"Hey, Nocturne?"

"Hmm?"

"When all this blows over," Cloud hesitated, facing me with those sky blue eyes. "I was just thinking - we could meet up somewhere? Get lunch, go for a drink - whatever you like." He shrugged, but stretched out a wing to drape across the back of the bench. "It's just an idea."

"Oh?" I leant back, resting a forehoof a hair's width from his escaping wing. "Well, I could be quite busy - being a detective and all." I smiled slowly, relying on the moonlight to reflect each crescent of fang. "But... I might have a free evening, if you're not on duty."

"No, no - evenings are better for me." He ran a hoof through his mane (which was currently devoid of its helmet) "I only do recruit training on a Friday, so I could get away a little earlier. I know a nice restaurant that's not too expensive."

"And I thought you had to leave Canterlot to find cheap restaurants."

"Well, I wouldn't quite call it 'cheap'..."

At that moment, the train finally arrived. It was probably for the better - don't want to get too ahead of ourselves. Cloud made sure Spike got on first before jumping up himself. Both appeared in the window seconds later.

"So I'll meet you outside the barracks on Friday?" Cloud called as the whistle blew - barely being heard above it.

I stammered, having to trot beside the carriage as the train began to roll out. "I - I suppose so?" It started picking up speed, so I gave up running alongside. Instead, I cupped my hooves to my mouth and shouted, "I'd rather see you in the morning with an armed guard!" I knew he'd heard by the way he saluted.

Well. It seemed I had a date with a slightly dense, friendly pegasus.

Considering this, I shrugged to myself, and began to walk the other way down the makeshift platform. He was nice - he liked to laugh (which was very important), he could put up with the fangs, he was also pleasantly tall - though his coat left a little to be desired. I could look at those eyes for a fair while, mind.

With that sloshing about my head, I at least had something to keep me occupied on the flight. Or something to distract me. Nevermind - I could always blame Cloud if the plan went wrong.

It was a long flight over - the air was growing cooler as I approached the coast, and a cool breeze blew into my face as I glided over the swamps. In the moonlight, they were far more appealing than they would otherwise be. Pools glittered white under the subtle rays, trees bent in artistic arches, their leaves trailing like hair to the water. Even the smell got a little better from this distance.

Somewhere - between some exceptionally large rushes, hidden in a canyon, lurking in a deep pool - was a large hydra. Sailing over the swamps, with only a faint shadow cast across the ground, it would never notice me. But I knew it was down there. Every recruit knew it was down there. Not that everypony has seen it - if you do, you have clearance to attack it on sight - if you don't, you spend the rest of the day stumbling around in the mud and the slime hoping it doesn't spot you.

Luckily, I've been told they've stopped the practice of tying your wings down. After what happened to our batch of recruits, I think they had to revise the risks associated with giant, angry hydra.

Slowly, the shrubbery fell away to rushes and reeds and then on to dunes. Soon I was sailing along the edge of a cliff. Like the edge of Princess Luna's mane, the rock curved and twisted at a leisurely rate, curling out into a deep bowl. Horseshoe Bay. A historic trading bay, the beginning and end of several expeditions, the location of several small fishing towns, and the perfect place for a summer holiday.

I fell into line with the edge of Equestria, following the cliff southwards. Behind me, the lights of Baltimare reflected off the calm waters. Beneath me, crouched crevices in the rock, would be the members of the Siren Colony. Their caves were more like shelves on the crumbling rock, barely running into the earth. I had never been - but my mother had told me about it as a foal, and I had a friend who once lived there. I knew it was a small colony; it was closely integrated with the small ports and shipyards, and had been for centuries.

Each colony has it's name for a reason. The Lonely Colony was so named for being the haven of bat ponies who first tried to make contact with the new Equestrian settlers - who, having then found themselves without allies in either, had settled there in isolation. The Siren Colony was similarly shunned - except not for trying to befriend ponies. Instead, it's rumoured that when food grew low, the inhabitants turned to the local pony population for nourishment in exchange for certain... favours.

None of that went on today - but a few of the old prejudices held strong. Nopony who knows their history will willingly go to the Blood Colony.

None of the Siren's were out tonight - they did tend to work at more sociable hours to the Equestrians. Anyway, most of their work would be down at the sandy beach or fishing in the sea. Not up here, where the grassed brushed against my forelegs.

I continued on my course. Heat Haze had said that the hideout was out of the actual horseshoe and in between the craggier rocks. I was looking for a lone pillar of rock, standing out in the sea - behind which would be a narrow arch in the rock.

There!

I slowed my pace, keeping low to the ground. Touching down, I stood facing this battered silhouette, the crack running between my hooves. Part of me wanted to sit at the top of the rock column, nevertheless, it would be too easy for the griffons to spot me. I had to be content here; I couldn't investigate the griffons here without giving away my existence, so would have to hope that Heat Haze had been telling the truth, and that the griffons hadn't decided to move.

Settling between the rushes, I took a moment to appreciate the surroundings. It had been a long time since I'd done a stakeout in a place as remote as this. The salty air buffeted my face; the wind started to pick up and scatter the waves, causing them to crash and splutter some hundred meters below. A few clouds were rolling in - not enough to block out the multitude of stars doming the world. Maybe, when I eventually retired as a poor, single mare looking to grow old disgracefully, I would move to the coast.

A warm buzz went though me - maybe not single.

Shaking my head to clear it, I surveyed the location logically. For investigators and Royal Guards...? The entrance to the cave was certainly problematic, with it bottlenecking into the lair - with who knows what for defences. It wasn't too easy to hide in wait, either. Not much cover anywhere, except where I sat in the shrubs, which didn't let you see much of the beach below. All that seemed to be in our favour was that there probably wouldn't be a second escape. Not much could be squeezed into crumbling cliff rocks.

By the looks of it, a few ponies - say, me, the detective inspector, and maybe a guard or two - would go into the den. Everypony else would have to hover about outside, waiting in case somepony made a run for it.

With that decision, I let out an involuntary yawn. It must have been about midnight, and I had at least until dawn to sit here, waiting. Anyway - when the guards got here I could discuss tactical approaches. They were the ones trained for this kind of thing.

Rolling onto my side, I covered myself with a wing and huddled deeper into the prickly rushes. I could nap for a couple of hours quite easily. It would at least pass the time - and it would make sure I was awake for the actual arrest, so...


Stretching, I got to my hooves. There were aches all over already, even though sleeping on the ground hadn't made much of a difference. Apart from being prickly, bushes could be quite comfortable.

I moved onto my wings. Reaching out each finger of bone, folding back in, reaching out again. Roll the neck. Ease out the clicks and cracks in my joints. Yawn.

Blinking the moisture from my eyes, I looked out into the night; I must have been napping about four hours, because the sky was still comfortably dark. The Moon had dipped behind clouds - of which there were now many, massing on the horizon, blocking out the stars. Silent in their approach. Not that the wind was silent. That now blew fiercely, coming down from the north carrying a fresh bite in its blast. It whistled past my ears, ruffling the hair.

Swoosh

Suddenly, I wasn't staring out to the east, wind in my mane, looking for constellations between the clouds. I was back in the undergrowth; mane over my face, saddlebags twisted beneath me; wondering why the scenery had changed.

"And what is 'zis?" Confused, I tried to twist around to see where the voice came from. If it was Cloud, why was he putting on the accent? I would have to tell him that I just wasn't that into accents - though it was a very good one... wait. I twisted my neck so that it felt about to pop. Staring down at me was the curved beak of a mildly surprised griffon.

Sweet Moon rocks.

"Why are you... lurking 'ere?" His tone was quite calm, really; very low and slow and considered. Nevertheless, this façade was ruined slightly by the talons gripping my wings and the paw centred firmly on my lower back. The chances were that even if I pretended to be from the nearby colony I wouldn't be believed. I was lurking above their cave.

I also needed to make sure he wouldn't be scared off by me being here...

"Just the griffon I wanted to see!" I tried to get up, smiling widely, but was firmly held down, "Hazy gave me the directions - but I thought I'd gotten lost! Seeing you is a real life-saver."

"Do I know you?"

"What - oh, no!" I rolled over a little more, testing my boundaries. "But you know my friend Heat Haze - she's the one that sent me here." My smile faltered slightly, laughing nervously, I nodded to his claws. "You can let me up, you know. I'm not going to run off!"

Reluctantly, he moved back. An equally fake smile plastered itself across his beak, attempting to look friendly.

"Why would 'Eat 'Aze send you?"

"Oh - you know how it is," I gestured vaguely, "she's been delayed - the dragons are a bit suspicious - she wanted to get the you-know-what out soon - I offered to help." Shrugging my wings, I gave him a reassuring grin. "Don't worry - dragons quite like bat ponies - they don't care about me leaving."

"Oh?" The griffon nodded slowly; scarlet tipped feathers bouncing on his cream head. It was funny, really. There I was, hoping I could think of enough lies to last a couple of hours, improvise and keep my cool - all the while freaking out like a timberwolf in a fashionable oak furniture store. Still, I found myself giggling at this large, dangerous, clawed canary. Though I must admit - it was very nervous laughter.

"What are you laughing at?" He frowned, looking ready to pounce on me if anything out of the ordinary happened.

"Has... has anypony ever told you - that you look like an oversized strawberry - dipped in cream?" I accepted that this statement might get me killed. But - blistering solar flares - it was worth it. He really did look very edible.

"Come with me." He eventually said, clearly having to contain his anger as he grabbed my foreleg and pulled me over the cliff.

I didn't bother trying to fly; the gap was too narrow to try. It was easier to let my guide drag me as he soared through - prepared and already positioned vertical to the rocks. Most of my body scraped against the entrance, but it could have been much worse.

After a couple of meters the crevice widened, spreading out to a sudden drop into a swirling pool of dark water. White foam sprayed the edges of the chamber, clawing to reach my dangling tail. Dragging out of the pool on the far side there was a damp, slimy stretch of rock where torches had been hung out of reach of the sea.

I was dropped onto this landing. I skidded down, far enough for the water to lick my hooves, before I could stumble up and trot up to Strawberries 'n' Cream. If possible, I needed to look as cheerful and friendly as I had ever been in my entire life. I was a young, adventurous pony meeting griffons for the first time; I was performing illegal activities; I was excited, nervous, and bubbly all in one. Like that bottle of champagne waiting to be opened at New Year - praying that the party remained civil at least until they got the cork off.

"So... this is the super-secret hideout? Sweet."

"We would prefer it to remain... secret."

"Oh - 'course. Don't worry about me - you tell me a secret, it stays secret." I mimed zipping my mouth shut. Playing on the fact that idiots aren't often considered threatening, I decided that was the safest angle to aim for.

"Allow me to introduce my... associates." We had walked deeper into the cave, where torches became more frequent while the mould and damp vanished underhoof. Crates were starting to spring up, boxing off a dead-end behind which three camp beds, a lantern, bags, and a chest (whose content I didn't want to question) stood.

Between these inanimate objects, two very animated griffons were arm-wrestling over a crate. One, shorter than Strawberry Tart, sat to the left, his grey plumage slicked back, emphasising his large, hooked beak. He was the soft colour of snow everywhere else, making a large patch on my vision where he reflected what little light there was. The most surprising feature was his icy blue eyes. The other, female, was the complete opposite. She was taller than either of her male counter-parts, with dull chestnut eyes, sludge coloured wings, and bulging muscles. The only dash of colour came in the form of green flecks on the feathers tied back from her squashed face.

Neither Frosting nor Giganta the Swamp Griffon paid us any attention. Their game was not to be interrupted.

Luckily, Giganta won quickly, dashing Frosty's talons to the box as easily as a foal kicks a pebble. A stray thought wondered what she would do to my spine. I battered it down quickly - I was starting to look anxious. She didn't celebrate, however; instead she sat back slightly, maintaining that bored look that flopped across her face. Frosting yelped loudly, swore in whatever language it is that the griffons use, and jumped to his paws.

Strawberry Tart was not impressed.

In a flash, he had swiped a wing across Frosting's forehead - ruffling his carefully slicked feathers - pulled Giganta into a standing position, and kicked the crate over as an afterthought.

"We 'ave a guest," he explained, still in that calm voice, "in case you 'aven't noticed." Giganta turned her head to me, but I'm not really sure if she actually saw me; she continued to look as blank as a foal's flank. Frosty, clearly riddled by the affliction called charisma, bowed while flourishing a talon, oozing sleaze from that creepy smile.

"Pleasure to meet you all!" I grinned, giving an awkward curtsy. "It's a cosy place you have here!" I was worried my disguise was going to falter - my cheek muscles were starting to ache.

"Und you vould be?" Frosty asked, a thicker, harsher accent greeting me.

"Serenade," I quickly lied, "travelling musician, at your service."

Strawberry Tart pulled Frosting to face him, muttering in low whispers. Snippets of the conversation were still in Equestrian, occasionally interspersed by an exasperated gasp. Listening closely, I couldn't help but suspect that they stuck to Equestrian more. Perhaps it was easier - perhaps... did all griffons speak the same language? The Empire was a massive slab of land, divided into separate states. If the Cave Tongue had different, complex dialects, why wouldn't griffons be the same?

So here were two griffons who couldn't understand each other.

I maintained my smile, nodding to Giganta. She didn't bother to turn around to the lads, instead choosing to glare at me like I was intruding. She didn't know what I knew. Heck - she could speak a completely different language altogether.

With an unreassuringly reassuring smile, Frosting stepped towards me. "Gut to meet you, Serenade." A claw extended to be shaken. Brightly, I took it in a firm hold, not ready to be scared off. "Ve ver just... agreeing on a few - issues. My name is Gunther - this delightful griffon vould be Gaston, und dis is Gigi."

"Fine by me," I released a crumpled grey talon, "don't let me get in your way."

"We believe... per'aps, you would be able to 'elp us." Gaston (who would always be Strawberry in my fond, possibly short-lived, memories) drew up a crate and sat down, facing me with scarlet eyes.

"I'd be happy to!"

"First, 'owever, 'ow did you 'ear that 'Eat 'Aze 'ad the egg?"

"Oh - Hazy came to me." I sat down as well - my brain was going into overdrive and I didn't have time to worry about my balance. "She knew the dragons trust me - she's seen me fly - which, though I do say so myself, is quite an impressive spectacle."

"Vat did she tell you?" Gunther said, still with that suspiciously friendly smile. He hadn't moved back yet, and had just placed a claw on my shoulder. I resisted the urge to recoil.

"That she needed my help." I looked my friendly griffon in the eyes. "As soon as she told me that there was egg that needed - well, rescuing - I couldn't refuse! After spending time with those dragons, I completely understood when she explained that they were not fit parents! So when she told me she was taking them to be adopted in the Griffon Empire... I was glad she came to me. I wanted to help." Gazing imploringly at Gunther, eyes as wide as the moon, I tried not to reveal that I couldn't see a thing. "What you're doing is really amazing. So few people are brave enough to do the right thing."

"Why were you there - if you do not like dragons?" Gaston butted in, not even attempting to hide his scepticism. Luckily, Serenade was too naive and open to notice nasty things like scepticism.

"I'm a travelling musician - I was hired to entertain the brutes; make them welcome." I grinned at Strawberries 'n' Cream. "I've been all across Equestria - but I've never been to your homeland. I bet it's amazing over there."

"Quite."

My interrogators exchanged a glance. If they didn't believe me, well... Gunther could break my wing before I even tried to escape.

I mentally crossed my wing-tips and prayed to the stars to be nice for once.

"Vould you be villing to do - to help - more young chicks?"

I let the elation spread across my face; first the disbelieving blink, then the stretching of the lips accompanying the widening of the eyes, finishing with the sharp exhaling that sounds like you forgot to hold in the air because you were so surprised.

Behind this performance, my mind leapt happily - if I organised a contract with them, it would take up more time! They believed me! Or, at least they hadn't openly told me they knew I was lying...

"I'd love to - only, I'm not sure what I could do..."

"Oh... ve vould have plenty for you do to..."


Serenade, a travelling musician from Baltimare, was now an official egg smuggler. She was planning to travel north west to the Smokey Mountain in order to liberate more young drakes, which she would then return to this cave. This would all take place after New Year, having returned home to celebrate with her brother, elderly father and four cats. Once this task was complete, she would be taken by airship with Gunther, Gaston and Gigi, to the Griffon Empire for her first foray out of Equestria.

Doubtless to say, Serenade was pretty excited.

I, however, was starting to get very nervous.

As you can discover, conversation topics were getting a little thin. I was struggling to think of fillers, and any moment now they were going to ask about the egg I was supposed to be carrying. Being underground, there was little indication of the time, but I couldn't have been here more than two hours. Dawn... dawn was a while away.

I'd just have to hope that backup was nearly here.

"Very gut." Gunther reached out a grey claw to shake my hoof. Beside him, leaning on a box, Gaston was scrawling out a contract on some slightly damp parchment.

"There is one last matter to discuss," Gaston put down the pen, leaving a gap at the edge of the paper for a signature, "you 'ave been looking after it so well, but now we must take it off your 'ooves. Give us the egg."

Gunther shot an icy stare at Gaston, flicking back into studied nonchalance as he tapped the crate. "It vill be quite safe in here."

"Of course!" I moved my wing to get at the flap of the saddlebags. "I can't believe I still have that. It just fits so well, y'know?" I riffled through the sections, occasionally throwing out odds and ends. Here a pen, there a packet of mints; even a pair of broken sunglasses. "Oops - must be in the other side! Silly me!" I carefully closed that side. Who knew where it would be in a few minutes time? I was becoming thankful that I had given Orion's book to Heat Haze for what had become safe-keeping.

Opening the second flap, I avoided the griffons' gaze carefully.

Not that that could hide my shaking hooves.

I sighed, shook my head, and snorted. I had my back to the entrance, while all three griffons had moved in front of me. I already knew Gaston was fast and Gigi was strong, but that didn't help me with Gunther. Gigi was the furthest away, then Gaston - still sitting - and finally Gunther, who was close enough to reach out and punch.

"There's been a bit of a problem..." I dropped my smiling façade, lowered my tone to a more sensible frequency, and removed my hoof from the bag. That side only had my leftover bits of food in - it didn't matter if they fell out. "You see, stealing dragon eggs is illegal in... every country. It's illegal in Equestria, it's illegal in the Dragon Isles, and it's even illegal in the Griffon Empire. It just isn't enforced very well." I stood up. Only Gunther had moved slightly closer.

"Because of this," I continued, "I'm going to have to arrest you. You can come quietly - otherwise, I have no qualms in forcing you to come quietly."

"You do not frighten us, sweet Serenade," Gunther offered a talon to get me to sit back down, "you cannot do anything now - just hand over the egg."

"I think I'll be hanging on to it, actually." I fastened the flap with a flick of my wing. They needed to stay with me if I wanted them catching - for that, they would need to think I had it. "Also, the name isn't Serenade."

With that, before Gunther could take another threatening step forwards, I took off. A heave of the wings, a bend of the spine, and a heap of speed, and I was soaring through narrow tunnels upside down. Echoing behind me was a shrill screech. I ignored it - I needed to get out of there as fast as possible.

Orbs of light flicked past as I navigated the twists and turns. Suddenly, the closeness opened out. Sea sprayed against my head and back.

A flurry of feathers burst out behind, going high to cut me off. The slit in the rocks was too high - they'd catch me first.

Tucking into a spear, I dived into the pool.

Water engulfed me. I sliced through, riding on the trajectory I had built for myself. But the sea was washing into the cave while I wanted out. I was slowing down. Currents pulled and pressed against me, tugging me deeper and pushing me back. A shock wave ran through the water - someone else had dived in.

A quick prayer to the Moon Goddess, and I kicked against the force. A wave washed me back, yet I kept the stroke going. Breaking the surface with a gasp, I unfurled my wings - now free of the rocks - and lumbered into the air. Shaking and choking, I rose higher, clearing the reach of the waves. It wouldn't help to go into shock now.

Feathers brushed my wings. Misjudged - they overshot and continued on, crashing against the lone finger of rock. The sound of impact could hardly be heard over the rolling seas.

Lungs burning now, though clear of brine. I needed to get some room - know where they were. Veering left, I circled the pillar, landing on its pinnacle.

Hair clung to my neck and flank, dripping ice. The saddlebags were the worst - they retained water like a sponge, creating a numb patch around my entire torso. If only I could have dumped them here.

Luckily, despite the odds being three to one, I had one advantage. It was still dark. The clouds masked most of the waning Moon, the sea reflected little, and the cliffs would just be dark masses on the peripherals. Only I could see my attackers. One floundered against the rocks, clinging against the pull of the waves. One clung lower down on the finger, cursing as rock crumbled under his claws. The last one, Gigi, was taking her time.

She had flown through the fissure - and lost a few feathers doing so. But she was careful. Her head surveyed her two colleagues; took note, ignored them, and stared up.

A shrill squawk pierced the sky. Gasping, I flattened my ears. Seconds later and she was in line with me.

I wasn't as invisible as I thought.

Jumping, I took off. We spiralled through the air, ascending higher towards the stars in an intricate dance. As one webbed around, the other mirrored the manoeuvre, neither gaining nor advancing. Here, bursting through the clouds, the winds buffeted our wings - with mine taking the brunt of the onslaught.

Spying an opportunity, I broke the dance. Twisting full to the wind, my wings caught the next gust, carrying me like the sails on a ship. I watched Gigi's face twist into a squashed snarl as I zipped past.

Suddenly, I was knocked out of my flight. Claws gripped my lower legs, dragging me upside down. I couldn't tell where we were going.

I shut my eyes. We were flying downwards. A steady curvature dictated our path. Feeling this, I batted and fluttered, moving upwards and closer to the underbelly of my captor. Once close enough, I kicked with all of the force I could muster. A fore-hoof impacted something hard. A guttural screech was mangled.

Not one to waste an opportunity, I flew in the opposite direction. A warm fluid blew off of my leg; I didn't want to question it. I must have shattered a jaw bone or smashed the beak.

Learning, I scanned for the other two. Gigi was darting through the sky, coming down like an arrow. The wet one... was he still stuck on the rocks?

Not enough time, not enough time.

I aimed to follow the coast line. I needed to get away from here - put some distance between us. My wings were aching, my lungs burned. I couldn't keep up with the sudden altitude changes. I needed to cruise at a steady height and get my breath back.

With that decision made, I turned back the way I came from. Before me, the distant lights of Baltimare stretched. I didn't want to lose my griffons, but I couldn't do this any longer. There was always the chance that they would become less aggressive if they knew ponies might see. Or the Sirens could see us. If they did, would they help?

Sticking close to the ground, I tried to blend in with the mass of the cliff. Exhausted, my line faltered, causing my wings to clip the rock occasionally. If it wasn't for my nap and the adrenaline coursing through my, I would have been caught already.

Unfortunately, a storm had been slowly gathering during my nap, leaving my deaf to anything other than the battering wind. If only I could've hidden in the dunes for another hour of two.

The snarl was the only warning I got.

At speeds I'd rather not consider, my wings were gripped, caught and pulled back. My body continued.

Reflexively bracing out my legs, I hit the cliff face.

Pain leapt through the joints. Three legs crumpled, tucking in as the skin was grazed away with each jagged outcrop. The fourth leg twisted, slipped, snapped.

Blind. Not just in sight, but in every other sense. I didn't feel anything, or hear myself scream, or smell the blood. There was only the white wall of nothingness.

Gradually, consciousness dragged itself back, achingly slowly. She had me in her claws; scrunching my wings in her talons, with her back paws clinging firmly to my lower back. We were vertical - my stomach to the cliff, her back to the open sea. I knew it was her - those brown arms barely strained to hold me. Even when the cliff jutted out in a spearhead, she had no trouble keeping me in its collision course.

I wouldn't survive that.

The front leg - the right one - was completely useless. Numbness had settled and I didn't want it to leave. The other legs were throbbing. Sprained and jarred; it didn't matter. I didn't need them to fly.

Stark, resolute, the rocks sped towards me.

Twisting, flapping wildly, I tried to loosen her grip. Needless to say, I didn't get free. She dictated my position. So now I was held out in front; facing her, unable to see the danger. Eyes, once dulled and sludgy, were alight with a nightmarish gleam. She'd crush me - break my spine - leave me to fall to the spires below. It wouldn't even faze her.

I was desperate. There was no other choice. That's what I had to tell myself.

Wrapping my wings around her neck, I pulled myself forwards. With an almighty wrench, I bit deep into her plumage.

Feathers clogged my mouth, dry and thick against my tongue. Scrunching my eyes tight, I ripped - flesh came away. Hot, sticky liquid spilt across my face.

I barely registered the scream.

Frantic now, her neck glittering crimson in the sparse moonlight, she threw me away. Feet away from the merciless rock, my trajectory changed. I whistled by, brushing the edge of Horseshoe Bay. Gigi, still howling, replaced me. The thud echoed across the open sea. In the space of time she had, she slowed her pace slightly - but it didn't prevent the sickening crunch.

Preoccupied, I spat and retched, falling - yes - but free. My stomach churned. Even with the salt water blowing and filling my nostrils, I couldn't get rid of the scent - the taste - that seeped into everything.

Finally opening my wings, I glided across the restless dark glass. Foam splashed up, catching the grazes and burns of my limbs. A sharp sting lingered; though bearable and forgettable.

Shredded by the ordeal with the cliff, I unclipped my saddlebags and let them fall into the sea. There wasn't anything important in them. They were just weighing me down. They knew I didn't have it - Gigi would have shattered it if I had. No; it wasn't the egg they were chasing now.

I glanced around. I was flying out to the east, water stretching out for miles. Wait.

Streaked orange, the deep blue of the sky was lightening. Just beneath the horizon, the Sun had begun to ascend.

I had never been so happy to see a sunrise in my entire life.

Frozen, for a second, relief washing over me, I was a target. A bruised and battered target.

I excepted it. Despite this, I didn't have the energy to avoid the reaching talons. I didn't have the strength to argue as an already soaking griffon plunged me into the sea. I didn't particularly worry as my throat and lungs tightened with the shock.

It was the spiking, stabbing agony of the salty water that revived me. The lancing that jumped across lacerated skin.

In an instant, I was twisting and flipping. I was above, one hoof on his chest, pushing him beneath the waves. Ice blue eyes widened, disappeared, re-emerged. With a buck, I was soaring upwards itching with pain, leaving Gunther to flounder again in the frozen depths.

Determined, I orientated myself to the lone, standing pillar. That was where the guard would be gathering. If I could get to where they would be, everything would be alright. They would round up these blasted birds.

One last burst of energy. I gritted my teeth against the throbbing muscles.

So close now. So close.

I didn't dare look up to the cliff head. Hope was what kept me in the sky.

Slowing, I rose so that I was level with the ground.

Nopony was there.

Panic clutched my heart. Unable to accept the loss of hope, I climbed a little higher. Squinting inland, I wondered if I could see their silhouettes, illuminated by the dawning Sun. Or it could have been drifters on my vision. The world did seem to be shifting wildly.

Tears welled in my eyes.

Shaking, I edged forward. None of the griffons had seen me. I would land, hide in the shrubbery like I was supposed to, and wait. They might not find me immediately. It would give me time to think of a nice snappy one-liner to go out on.

The voice was muffled, gargled. Detached and numb, I didn't register the words. All that was left to do was to turn and face it.

Gaston, though naturally scarlet, had suffered a nasty buck to the beak. Feathers that were once cream were drying the crumbly brown of blood. Every movement caused him to wince.

With that, he didn't bother with a smart line. Instead, he ploughed towards me.

Gulping in a final lungful of air, I surrendered.

We tumbled down, his lion paws digging into my stomach. Driven by the pain and humiliation I had caused him, he didn't drag me down into their hideout. He wasn't satisfied with trapping me.

An eye for an eye. It was a common phrase in bat pony law. And dragon law. Only, it was his beak for my wings.

Tearing with a ferocity I couldn't fight, he clawed deep gashes into the skin. Exhausted, I didn't feel the blood seeping out, or the heat, or the brutal ache. Instead, it was the coolness of the air as it rushed through the fresh holes.

I was starting to lose consciousness. I felt him leave me, and the distant crashing of the waves, and the whistling of... something.

Shadows swarmed my vision, and I fell. Unresisting.