• Published 19th Aug 2014
  • 4,228 Views, 41 Comments

A Queen's Lament - lollipopchica



Desperate for love a changeling queen does the unthinkable.

  • ...
11
 41
 4,228

Chapter 9

While Chrysalis had assumed many identities in her heyday as an infiltrator, she’d never assumed the identity of a bride-to-be. And after this experience she hoped to never do so again. It was so annoying.

After word spread about her engagement, she and Shining Armor had no choice but to announce it to the royal court. So many ponies had offered to do this or that in hopes of furthering their own success, and because Princess Cadance wasn’t known for refusing ponies there were only so many invitations she could decline.

Then there was this bug she couldn’t seem to shake. Her head was aching and her stomach was doing somersaults. She swore she couldn’t breathe sometimes she felt so smothered. And having to be responsible for all the planning didn't make her feel any better. She stood outside on the back veranda that faced the mountainside hoping the cool, clean air would help. She had finally gotten a moment to herself when-

“Princess, would you like-?”

Cadance was incensed as her violet eyes flared with fire.

Maker help her! Was five minutes too much to ask for?

She spun around on the other pony who dropped the tray she had balanced. The poor pony stumbled backwards as the princess advanced in a fit of irritation. “No! No! NO!” Two other sets of eyes looked on from the veranda doors, clearly concerned. “I don’t care about the guest list, I don’t care about banners, and I most definitely do not care about the color of the stupid flowers that will line the stupid carpet. Do I look delighted? Do I ‘look’ excited?”

“N-n-no, P-princess-“ The young mare stammered nervously fumbling backwards.

“Do I look happy? What I would like is for you all of you to just stay-“ She hiccupped rather violently as a strong bout of nausea came over her prompting her to abandon her anger and run to the veranda railing. With a loud hick, Chrysalis retched all she had consumed throughout the day over the balcony.

“Princess?!” The soft eyed maid looked horrified as she watched the romantic mare hurl over the balcony.

“Oh my!”

“Princess Cadance!” The two peepers ran out to help.

Chrysalis couldn’t tell who had witnessed her loss of dignity, but she couldn’t find it within herself to care as she dry heaved over the rail before another wave of upheaval commenced. Moaning, she could feel tears roll down her cheeks as her eyes squeezed shut and her spine arched as her stomach muscles clenched. There were hooves on her back and in her mane as various voices fussed over her.

“Poor thing…”

“Poor pony.”

“Who should we call?”

“Celestia?”

“Noooo…” She moaned as she fought back another wave of nausea. “Don’t call my…” She gagged, “Aunt…”

The maids winced as they watched their beloved princess sick all over herself. The mess was a sparkly mix of pink and red gunk. Surprisingly, it helped the maids feel sorrier and less disgusted.

Her earlier outburst had been forgiven, obviously the poor thing wasn’t feeling well at all.

“Then who, Princess?”

She picked her head up to reveal puppy dog eyes and snot. It truly was a pitiful display.“Just take me to my…r-room.” And with that she leaned back over the railing as she threw up some more.

She didn’t remember much after that.

*-*3333*-*

Shining Armor stared at his fiancée with a troubled expression on his strong maw. The slumbering mare tossed and turned in her bed as she struggled to get comfortable.

While they hadn’t called in Celestia or a doctor, the maids who witnessed her illness had sent for her fiancé. Of course by the time he’d gotten there, she was all cleaned up and tucked beneath comfy sheets. Another maid had immediately bought her something for her headache and nausea so now she was just weak and achy.

He shook his head as he slowly walked to her side. Her face was flushed as she muttered incoherently in her sleep. As if sensing his presence, her eyes slowly fluttered open. “What’re you doing here?” She murmured as she stared up at him with tired eyes.

“Checking on you,” was his stern reply.

“Well… I’m fine.” Shining Armor pursed his lips as he pushed her bangs out of her face. She was burning up. He’d never seen her so fragile looking before and it bothered him. Her mane was wild, her eyes had bags and her complexion was paler than normal.

She looked terrible.“You’re not fine. You need a doctor.” The stallion turned to with the intention of getting her one.

“Shining, no!” She reached out as her voice rose in alarm. “Please don’t leave!” If a doctor or Celestia saw her this way everything would be ruined. There was nothing normal about whatever ailed her.

“Cadance you’re in pain! I can’t sit around while you’re hurting like this.” Blue eyes were bright with concern and anger at her seeming lack of concern.

“Please! It’s not as bad as it looks….” She forced herself to sit up as she reached out to him, prompting him to come closer and hug her. “I promise… Please, don’t say anything….I’m just stressed about the wedding.”

“Cadance…” He groaned as he battled with himself.

“Please… “ She pressed a kiss to his shoulder as she relished in and loathed his presence at the same time.

“Cadance…” Before he could deny her request she fused their mouths in a tender kiss. He moaned into her mouth trying to resist the physical pull she had over him. “Stop…” he muttered breaking away from her mouth. Cadance buried her face in his shoulder like a scolded child.

“Trust me?” she whispered clinging to him. She never knew a changeling queen could feel this way. It was horrible. She had to figure out what was wrong and why she felt worse whenever he was around. “Just give me some time… I just need to rest is all. I promise. Just give me until tonight.”

“Fine…” He relented as he pulled away to stare into her dilated eyes. “If you’re not better by the tonight…”

“I know,” she smiled bursting with relief and trembling with barely controlled discomfort. “I love you,” she breathed. “You should go before my aunt yells at you.” The maid had retrieved him in the middle of a briefing.

“Cadie….I-”

He was faltering and Chrysalis could not allow that. “Until tonight, remember…” violet eyes were hopeful in their urging. “Go… I’ll be fine.”

With a sigh the white stallion pressed a kiss to her forehead and let her go. “I love you too.” He said as he made his way to the door. “I’ll see you tonight.” Despite his look of reluctance, he left.

As soon as he left, Chrysalis cursed the chaos deity.

“You rang?” Sang the voice of Discord as he spun from the ground in a show of smoke and light. Fiendish eyes turned to her as a giant grin broke out over mismatched features. “This is delicious…” Sometimes she wondered about the extent of his abilities. It was like the draconequus had eyes and ears everywhere.

Chrysalis groaned. “What’s going on…? This has never happened before.” She held her stomach as she felt it churn.

“You’ve never had a constant supply of love before. Your magic has limits, dear heart, and it would seem you are fast approaching yours.”

“But why does it hurt so much?” She ached.

“It’s part of Elytra’s punishment… It was a way to ensure she endured her sentence. Death can be a persuasive temptress as you know. Elytra could not live without her subjects and her subjects depended upon her for life. If Elytra was anything, she was compassionate in her selfishness.” Whatever love she absorbed she had to eventually process or she’d get sick from the build-up. A queen couldn’t live without her hive and a hive couldn’t live without its Queen.

“But I’ haven’t abandoned them!” She argued.

“Magic doesn’t really care about the particulars, I’m afraid. You’re receiving more than you give…“

“Make it stop!”

“I can’t… only Elytra can…”

“But she’s dead…”

“Or is she? Are any of your predecessors truly dead, Chrysalis?”

She winced as she raked her brain for any possible conclusion to the draconequus’ cryptic responses. The only thing she could think of involved the royal rite of passage. A ceremony that involved a crowning queen absorbing the magic of her predecessor. Chrysalis was her own person, but her magic was a mix of previous queen’s essences and experiences. Every now and again, she would have personality flares but that was the extent of it. Could it be possible that Elytra’s essence resided deep within in her as well? “Is that why you can’t you break the curse? Because Elytra technically hasn’t passed on… She’s just been passed down?” It sounded absurd when she phrased it that way but it was all that she had. “If that’s what you meant how can I bring her back?”

“Use what you have in common…” In a great flash of light the chaotic deity was gone.

Chrysalis sagged against her pillow as she frowned. Why couldn’t Discord ever be straightforward? She was so distracted she didn’t notice two sets of eyes observing her meeting with her quasi-sire.

“What can we do?” Jadzia asked after quietly shutting the door from where she and her companion were eavesdropping. Despite their clash of opinion, she was still loyal to her monarch.

“Odonata would know what to do…” Kirai suggested. “She’s the best healer we’ve got… Not to mention the Queen’s right hand mare.”

“But the hive is a three day flight away…” Jadzia frowned.

“What about a teleportation spell?” Still she shook her head at Kirai’s suggestion. The two were silent as they each thought of other ways to close the distance between their homeland and Canterlot.

“How about a space portal?” Jadzia suggested after a while.

“You can do that?” Kirai raised a brow at her companion as that was a high level transportation level spell.

“No… but the two of us could together.”

*-*3333*-*

If Odonata was surprised to see the two changeling generals emerge from a wall of blue magic, she hadn’t looked it. As a changeling who‘d seen as much as she had, nothing truly surprised her anymore. Except maybe the news of Princess Cadance’s wedding. But more important than that was the state of health of her Queen.

The Queen was lovesick and there was only one way to cure that sort of thing.

*-*3333*-*

“You’re getting married in a few days, Princess. It should be a dream come true for you.”

“What….” The real Princess Cadance was still trying to find her bearings as she stared around the dreary place that had been her residence on and off. She was confused about a lot of things, but her dislike for the sleek and twisted creature before her would always be a constant.

“Oh, haven’t you heard?” Chrysalis mocked with a mischievous spark in her unholy eyes. For once she stood in her true form of dark chitin and emerald fire. “Shining Armor proposed to Princess Cadance- you, well me- and she accepted.”

“Stay away from him!” Cadenza forced with her own brand of determination as she fought against a strong sensation of vertigo. The changeling Queen had released her from her pod only to bind her hooves to the ground with her glandular secretion. She was finally able to concentrate.

“So forceful!” Chrysalis grinned at the sluggish Princess. “That one almost sounded like a threat.”

“How can you be so evil? What have I ever done to you?” Cadance whined as the discomforts of the pod wore off.

“You know, no pony suspects a thing about your ‘disappearance.’ It’s been about two and a half months and not a single pony has caught on,” was the changeling queen’s purposeful response.

“Two and a half months…” Cadance was shocked and the tiniest bit sick. “I’ve been down here for two and a half months?”

Chrysalis shrugged, “Would you rather me sink my fangs into your flesh and suck out your soul, damning you to a slow and painful death?” Cadance was taken back and Chrysalis couldn’t help but roll her eyes. “Are all ponies so gullible? Killing you is simply out of the question. There’s nothing to be gained with your death.”

“You’re sick!” Violet eyes were wet as tears welled.

“Shining Armor doesn’t seem to think so…” Was her sly response as she set about baiting the confused mare. “The things he can do with his tongue…” Chrysalis pretended to lose herself in a memory as she purred in pleasure. “Have you ever noticed the look in his eyes when you moan his name a certain way?” Violet eyes widened in disgust as tears fell while Chrysalis crudely demonstrated. “Oh, Shining… Just like that…” Her tone was light and breathy. “He loves with his whole heart. I think I’m going to miss that most of all… Or maybe I could just turn him into one of my ‘love slaves…’ Such a strong stallion deserves only the best, don’t you think?” She could feel it coming.

“You… you…”

“You what?” She mocked anticipating the other’s acrimonious emotions. “Say it Princess…” Was her dark whisper. “It might even make you feel better… There’s not much else you can do anyway. Every shot counts.”

“You… Y-You evil wench! You’re a black-hearted monster!” Cadance cried in utter anguish. “I hate you! He doesn’t love you! He loves me! He thinks you’re me! He thinks you’re me! I’ll kill you!”

“I’m counting on it,” Was Chrysalis’ serious reply as she released the Princess from her confines. Shocked by this turn of events, violet eyes were suspicious as the queen’s magic ate away the glandular secretion. “Would you like an invitation?” Chrysalis taunted. “How’s this- your coltfriend tastes like the ocean after a storm-”

“Stop it…”

“And his eyes turn grey whenever he’s upset or turned on-“

“Shut up!”

“And then there’s-“

Enraged by all that she had been forced to suffer through, Cadance wasted no time lunging at the alien looking pony. Bracing herself for contact, Chrysalis gritted her teeth as the mare slammed into her causing the two to roll around in an entanglement of limbs as they both wrestled for dominance.

Though Chrysalis had the advantage, the Love alicorn’s anger powered her assault as she came out on top.

Cadance was furious as she gave the Queen no time to recover striking Chrysalis as hard as she could raining blows with a vengeance. Though she craved the other’s anger and hatred Chrysalis was willing to take just so much damage before she struck back with twice the intensity forcing the mare off of her.

Growling, Cadance went on the offensive again this time using her magic. She heaved sharpened crystals and heavy stones at the Changeling Queen. “You’ll pay for everything you’ve done you conniving bitch!” Cadance spat aiming to permanently incapacitate. “For every kiss,” a large stone was hurled. “Every touch… (another crystal just missed the changeling) every moment you stole from me!”

“You’ll have to do better than that,” Chrysalis grunted dodging projectiles trying to get in closer.

Violet eyes narrowed and the love princess switched tactics dashing forward catching her doppelganger in a spine-busting tackle. Chrysalis was stunned by the force behind the attack gasping as she and Cadance crashed into the ground.

Using all her weight and leverage to her advantage, the alicorn held the dazed changeling down as she magically wielded a sharpened crystal with the intent to end this nightmare. “Let’s see who you fool now,” She mocked plunging the glittering crystal forward as she pressed her hooves down harder trapping the other mare.

Harlequin eyes narrowed as she magically fought against Cadance’s effort.

Pink magic clashed with chartreuse as the two mares, again, battled for dominance. Cadance grunted as she poured more force into her magic pushing the gemstone into Chrysalis’ shoulder. The changeling cried out as it broke through her armor, drawing bright green blood.

Stilling herself against the pain, Chrysalis head-butted the princess in such a way that her gnarled horn split the delicate flesh of her aggressor’s face causing the other to lose their concentration as they fell back in pain. Following up with a kinetic attack of energy, Cadance felt the wind being knocked out of her as she was painfully knocked off the insect-like pegacorn.

Moaning as blood oozed from her wound, Cadance had no time to strike again as she felt herself roughly being accosted by two different sets of hooves. She wanted to scream but suddenly her body arched in pain as the world fell away in a terrible flash of magic.

Chrysalis was panting as her horn still smoked from the curse she’d cast from her place on the ground. Her two changeling warriors released the unresponsive mare allowing her to slump forward on the ground, unconscious.

Jadzia went about concocting a changeling pod while Kirai rushed to their monarch’s side. “Are you alright?”

Chrysalis winced, “No… but that was the plan.”

“You certainly know how to piss a pony off…”Kirai grumbled as she helped her stand.

“It’s a gift,” Her monarch winked despite the pain she felt from Cadance’s assault. The physical wounds and bruises she sustained in addition to the toxic emotion she absorbed was enough for her body to kick into overdrive in an attempt to heal itself. Plus with the emotion she would send home, it would help rid her body of the excessive amount of love she’d built up.

She found no joy in what she had to do to the alicorn, but it was necessary. If she were honest with herself, and she was, she envied Cadance to a certain extent taking pleasure in the fact that Shining Armor subconsciously gravitated to her. But that didn’t mean she took pleasure in hurting the mare to the point that she just had. Cadance truly hated her. Enough to make her physically sick from the animosity and that was saying something.

“The chrysalis is almost ready,” Jadzia called as she went about enchanting the pod.

“Good,” With Kirai’s help, Chrysalis ambled over to the unconscious mare. Staring down at Cadance’s ruined face, she frowned before concentrating on a spell that would heal the wound. A soft green glow ran up and down the length of the scar as it closed the flesh leaving the Princess scar-less.

“Give her something to justify that ‘dislike’ she has for me.” Chrysalis said offhandedly as she set out to heal her own wounds. Her shoulder throbbed unforgivingly making her falter. “It’s almost over… Once Cadance is married, we can all go home,” was her soft encouragement. “True love can conquer anything...”

Author's Note:

I bet you thought Chrysalis had committed suicide earlier. Lol. I know I think so when I read it and I wrote it. If anyone can think of a better way to word that part, I’m all ears. My sister was all, ‘No she didn’t!’ when she read it.

But like I said, I'll probably revise this some time in the near future so anything that 'looks' or 'reads' weird feel free to point it out. I'll get to it eventually.