• Published 19th Aug 2014
  • 4,228 Views, 41 Comments

A Queen's Lament - lollipopchica



Desperate for love a changeling queen does the unthinkable.

  • ...
11
 41
 4,228

Chapter 1

Author's Note:

/N: The first time I saw the Canterlot Wedding episodes, I immediately fell in-love with Queen Chrysalis and her kind. She didn't strike me as 'pure evil' and even in an universe where magic seemed to be the norm, she and hers didn't strike me as normal. So this is how I made sense of her existence while entertaining myself with my favorite kind of love story. It only covers the Canterlot Wedding episodes: What happened immediately before and immediately after. Figured I'd share it with you good folks.

No offense to Cadance, but she just seems a little dull to me. I don't bash her or anything… but just know that my love for Chrysalis definitely shines through.

Quik head's up- It's a little AU and I'm sure I changed the official MLP timeline a little. I've been working on and off on this for about a year and a half... So this arc is complete. However, I'm always open to revisions for my personal developments as a writer.

Anyway- have fun!

*this as well as its prequel can be found on fanfiction.net*

Chapter 1:

The healer stared at her majesty with concern in her glowing blue eyes. "My Queen, you don't have to do this."

The teal haired changeling stood tall as she focused her attention on the mountainside city. "But I do," She said in a tone tinged with frustration. "Our people are dying..." And, once again, it's my fault. Chrysalis did not speak the words, but she knew her healer had picked up on her feelings.

The concern she felt from her subject only intensified. Odonata was as shrewd as they came taking her allegiance to her monarch very seriously. "There was no way you could have known Caine was unstable the way he was. His actions were a shock to all of us."

"Yes, but I heard his thoughts just as I heard my own. My mother birthed him and when I absorbed her being into mine, Caine became a part of me as well. How could I not have known?"

Chrysalis felt as if she were rotting from the inside out. It hurt to breathe, to move, anything. Everything was amplified thanks to her connection to her subjects. Their pain would always be hers and there was nothing she could do to lessen her burden unless she could lessen theirs.

Thankfully, only the inhabitants of the city had consumed the poisoned love and everypony else was okay. Her providers/infiltrators as well as her guards were doing all they could to assist the healers with the sick.

To think that one of her own would do such a thing bothered the Queen as much as her physical sickness. She could feel her magic working to purge the foul substance from her system, but it still would take time before she was strong enough to help anypony else. She worried for her subjects realizing how toxic the love had to have been for it to incapacitate her like this.

Changeling royalty were built to withstand extreme stress as their existence could only be qualified as stressful, but her children were not as strong and she worried for their safety.

Chrysalis moaned as she tried to push herself up only to fall back down into a heap of teal colored hair. A few days later, the changeling queen was up and about helping with all she could. She wished she could say the same of her subjects as half had already died from the contaminated emotion. The coldness that swept through her system as she felt their life force fade was harrowing, but Chrysalis had not had the time to linger as she helped the ones that were left.

At the end of the whole ordeal, she had found out that Caine had poisoned almost all of their love reserves and what little they had left would only last them two or three months.

"Chrysalis, Caine knew what he was doing and he took precautions to make sure there was nothing you could do."

The moonlight glinted off her fangs as the changeling queen smiled bitterly at the older mare. She had known the healer for a long time and it brought her comfort to know that with the passing of her mother she still had someone who looked at her as something other than a monarch. "I appreciate your concern Odonata, but this is something that must be done for all of our sakes."

"Chrysalis, we live to serve to you."

"And I live to serve you- None of us seem to have much of a life." She grinned crookedly before adopting a more serious expression. "I can't continue this knowing that whenever I make a mistake it's you who have to pay for it." Harlequin eyes dulled as the changeling queen thought back to her adolescent years. She almost smiled as her own memories overpowered those of her people and the impressions tattooed upon the ancient magic that flowed through her veins.

"You were a child... Your mother's descent happened sooner than it should have."

"But that doesn't stop it from hurting." Her eyes narrowed as her thoughts continued to dwell over that tumultuous period of her life.

"Mother!" Chrysalis cried fearful for her life and her mother's health. "That's not true! I would ne-"

The Princess was knocked onto the ground as her mother's body slammed into her, causing her to gasp in pain as she landed on her wings wrong. Despite their frail appearances, changelings were strong and just as durable thanks to their chitin armor. Groaning, the filly was trying to focus on the mare who attacked her instead of the discomforts of her wings.

The Queen's eyes glowed brightly, almost blending with the whites of her eyes. "You don't think I hear you whispering poison in my mind?" She screamed enraged that the filly beneath her would try to deny her guilt. "Insane Imaga, Insane Imaga… Plotting against me- trying to drive me mad? You insolent bitch, after all I sacrificed…"

Chrysalis had never been more afraid for her life at that moment. "Mother, What's the matter with you! I wouldn't!" She pleaded as the queen's hooves pinned her down, forcing her to stare up into unhinged eyes. Who was this mare atop of her and what happened to her mother?

Her thoughts must have echoed within Imaga's mind, because suddenly the Queen was laughing madly as her gnarled horn began to charge with power. "Clever Chrysalis, Mommy's not here right now- You answer to our Queen now."

Chrysalis shuttered and grunted, twisting pitifully underneath the stronger pony. She could feel whatever ailed Imaga touching her mind as well, making her truly afraid. Her mother intended to kill her and there was nothing she could do.

"I can't ask my daughter to do what I had to do to my mother. I won't ask any of you what my mother asked." She shuddered still lost in the memory.

Chrysalis blinked as an adult changeling walked forward to kneel before her mother. She could feel the fear and determination rolling off the mare as her blue eyes were resigned with pride and the smallest hint of fear. Imaga's maw was drawn in a tight line as she regarded the brave soul in front of her.

"Kira Wynn, we thank you for your sacrifice. With your strength this Queen of the Changelings, as well the queens to come, will always pay tribute to your brood."

The mare rose with a serious expression on her face. "It is my honor to serve the hive and pay tribute to you your highness."

"I don't deserve it." She could still hear the mare's screams. "But maybe... if I can do this for you... maybe then I would have deserved you're loyalty."

Odonata's features displayed her disagreement, but her eyes were full of understanding. She trusted her Queen even if she did not like her methodology. "And you're sure you can trust him?"

Chrysalis shook her head with an unpleasant expression on her face. "No, but what choice do I have?"

"Such a clichéd race you changelings are."

"Discord..." The teal haired pegacorn didn't waste her breath on asking him the obvious. The chaos infatuated deity played by his own rules with powers no pony knew the limits to. If she was surprised to see him in her private quarters she didn't look it. Perhaps she was too sick to care.

"To literally live for an emotion that only brings about your doom. Your kind, my dear, are the most twisted I've ever encountered. The biggest punch line on this side of the ocean!"

"Changelings are dead and you think it's funny?" Chrysalis was still recovering from her sickness, but she found the strength to show her indignation.

"Actually, I find it rather hilarious. And they said love couldn't kill... Guess they never had a changeling's brand of feeling." The draconequus snickered at the idea, completely unrepentant of his words.

"How dare you?" Chrysalis seethed, harlequin eyes incensed at his nerve. Forcing herself to stand despite the nausea and pain that left her on slightly unbalanced legs, she responded. "Can you not see my people are in mourning?"

"Mourning?" Discord sounded thoughtful. "I forgot you were capable of that... Although I shouldn't be given the circumstances of your kind."

"Get out..." She hissed trembling from her anger and the pain ravaging her system.

"Beg your pardon?"

"Get out, Discord before I throw you out in pieces!" Her tone, despite her struggles, was deadly serious. It had taken her a lot of effort to stand on her hooves- even more to show that even in sickness she would not stand for belittlement or disrespect.

He smirked at her ire liking the spirit behind her bright eyes. "Is that any way to talk to your father?"

"Father?" Chrysalis bit back a groan. "I have no father and if I did, it wouldn't be you." While it was true other changelings were born still only to be given life, changeling queens were physically created with magic. In actuality, all changelings were magically inclined as they were all brought to life by the queen's magic. While all changelings were considered to be the Queen's children, only a changeling princess could be called her flesh.

"Father, creator, maker, god... I forget what ponies are calling it nowadays. Either way, it's that being that you owe your existence to. But I must be honest, father is my personal fav. It makes me feel all warm inside." he cackled as he slithered through the air, drawing closer to the teal haired pegacorn.

"You don't know anything."

"I beg to differ..." His red-on-yellow eyes twinkled mischievously. "I know all there is to know about your kind. Maybe even a way to kick that nasty love habit you seem to have." He's lying, she thought. But then again what reason would he have to lie, besides the obvious? "I could be... or I could be your knight in shining armor... your path to savioress." The god of chaos smirked at the flicker of emotion that broke through the Changeling Queen's mask.

Chrysalis frowned. "Are you in a position to deny my guidance?"

Her thoughts were on the discovery her providers had informed her of a couple of hours ago. The little love that they had left would not be enough to nurture the sick or sustain the rest of the hive. But that didn't mean she had to play whatever game Discord wanted her to. The draconequus was known for his mischievous tendencies and lack of consideration. Chrysalis could handle this... Couldn't she?

"My Queen?" The two were interrupted by one of the Queen's guards who immediately hissed at the sight of the chaos deity. Before Chrysalis could utter a word the changeling guard was already in an offensive position ready to launch himself at the intruder.

"Stand down," she ordered with hard eyes as the male looked ready to draw blood.

Discord watched as her indecision battled with her pride, smirking as his seeds of doubt took root. "I can see I caught you at a bad time. But when you're ready to be a good ruler, you know, the kind that actually looks out for her people, I'm only a call away." And with that he left her to her sickly species.

At first she'd gathered her most distinguished nobles, discussing possible courses of actions. The difference between a noble and a regular changeling citizen was sacrifice. Not every changeling was out in the trenches- those were mostly nobles. Changeling nobles were changelings who had proved their loyalty by offering the ultimate sacrifice, their life force. For such a gift their brood was rewarded with greater responsibility and magical benefits that celebrated their selflessness and helped them with their tasks.

Serving the Queen was serving the hive, and serving the hive was taking care of those close to you. Her guard as well as her healers and some providers, or changeling infiltrators, were nobles.

Throughout these discussions she couldn't rid her thoughts of her impromptu conversation with the draconequus. What if he was telling the truth? What if... what if he really was around when her species was created? Her kind was so dependent upon magic and emotion that their circumstances seemed completely unnatural. What if the draconequus had answers to questions she'd never dream of having? If it were all so simple, wouldn't somepony had done something centuries ago?

Three days later, after much deliberation and hours of debate, Chrysalis found herself no closer to an answer than she was when she'd first called her delegations to order. A part of her swelled at an idea of an invasion, but she squashed that ghost of an idea vehemently. Invasion was out of the question as they simply weren't strong enough, not to mention the ramifications of such an aggressive action. She wasn't as ambitious in that sense as past queens had been.

So with a heavy heart and the subduing of her pride, she decided to contact the disharmonious deity.

It was no surprise to the draconequus to hear the changeling Queen's tentative summons a few days later.

"Took you long enough..." He grinned toothily as his reptilian-like eyes gazed upon the Queen's own unnatural gaze.

Chrysalis swallowed a retort as she focused on presenting a calm facade. Like it or not, Discord was her only lead to a solution at the present moment. "Earlier... when you said you were my- our father... what did you mean by that?"

"Ahhh, interested are you..."

"Please... If there's anything that can help, I need to know. If you were involved in our creation then you owe us that much. We can't lose any more like this! They don't deserve it..."

"Ugh, don't go getting all sentimental on me with your crying eyes and desperate pleas. Discord, please," he mocked with wide and tearful eyes. "Please help me save my people." His bottom lip trembled as he painted the perfect picture of despair.

"Discord!"

"Oh alright!" He griped. "Let's see... Ah! They say it is better to have loved and lost than it is to have never loved at all. But I say it is better to retain ones sanity than to love so hard that you lose all sense of reality. But what is love but madness wrapped in pretty packaging? There are ponies that have lied for love, ponies that have died for love, and ponies who have killed for love. And still ponies celebrate this nefarious emotion of pleasure, encouraging it for their leisure. For such atrocities I could not standby. So to teach a lesson an alicorn's love was demonized."

Chrysalis blinked in confusion. "Is that all?"

"I think it's enough."

Harlequin eyes narrowed and Chrysalis bared her fangs at the draconequus. "What does that mean?" She snarled throwing her hooves up in frustration. Berating herself for her helplessness, she should've known she couldn't expect the chaotic creature to be straightforward.

Discord appeared hurt, "I'll admit it's not my best but that was uncalled for..."

"Your toying with me is what's uncalled for! This was a waste of time."

He poofed away only to reappear in front of her. The mismatched creature hovered above the changeling queen as he stared down at her with something like fondness. "Chrysalis," he cooed, "you're no fun when you're like this. But I promise I'm a changed creature! Let me make it up to you, dear. You just might enjoy yourself on the way."

"The maker is punishing me," she muttered miserably.

He gave her a toothy smirk. "Guilt too bitter a pill to swallow?" Annoyed by his statement, she bit her lip to keep from giving him the satisfaction of seeing her riled up. "What's done is done, I say. Let bygones be bygones. No one can change the past... Believe me- I've tried." It was the first genuine thing he'd said since he apparated in front of her.

"If only it were that easy..."

"But what if it was? What if I told you that all you needed was love?" She glared at him certain he was mocking her now. "It's true, dearest. True love can overcome anything, as clichéd as it sounds." He poofed away again, reappearing wrapped around her pearlescent colored abdomen. His snout rested beside her ear as he continued. "There's an ancient magic so strong and powerful in you that all you need is proper encouragement."

Harlequin eyes were wide as his words echoed through her mind drowning out the sounds of the others. What power? And could it really be so simple? Chrysalis licked her lips, "What power? And what do you mean by proper... encouragement?"

"What makes a changeling so different from any other pony? Twisted you may look but are your hearts so dissimilar? But alas it was so long ago..." The draconequus grinned as he directed her face to his with the pull of his claw before straightening himself out. "Perhaps more suitable answers can be found in Canterlot."