• Published 3rd Aug 2014
  • 3,899 Views, 186 Comments

Destiny DLC: The Gathering Light - observer of dimensions



Equestria has flourished under the care of the Alicorns for years but when they recive a vister from a world far far away things start to change. A hidden history is revealed and a new adventure far beyond the borders of Equestria begins

  • ...
5
 186
 3,899

Winter Wonderland

A single Jumpship cruised along it's orbit around the planetlike mass that was Pluto. It's owner, now finished with the mission he had set out for laid in the cockpit relaxing. He was what the people of the last city of Earth called a Guardian. A protector of the human race and a testament of strength against all who wish to snuff out the Light. Nox-23 was his name. A very odd name for a human but for him, an Exo it fit perfectly. His is a race of a self-aware race of machines once built to protect their creators in a war fought long ago. Since his reboot he, like all other Exo retained no memory of their original functions. This did not bother him however for being a Guardian was satisfying enough. What did bother him was the nick in helmet that he was currently looking at. Had he not ducked when he did there would be one less Exo walking around.

Nox-23 took one long last look at Pluto. "Damn glad to be off that planet. Let's hope we don't need to come back here for a long long time." The Exo said out loud seemingly to no one.

"Actually Pluto is not a planet due to it's unusual obit. More oval shaped then circular obits of real planets." the voice of the Traveler given floating ball called a Ghost replied. Nox-23 could not see his Ghost but he could imagine it looking at him with it's insightful eye.

It took a moment of Noz-23 to say anything. He was lost in his memory trying to find any additional information about what his Ghost had just said. There was nothing. Had he forgotten it along with his original functions or did he ever had it. There was however, no time to dive into the past, not when he was needed in the present. "Really? Interesting but unless there is a huge stash of Glimmer, weapons, or armor hidden somewhere then I think i'll stay away for a bit."

He could hear his Ghost sigh. Nox-23 rolled his eyes, maybe his Ghost should try and fight off hordes of Fallen while trying to run away from the communication array that is about to blow up. When his invisible partner spoke up again it wasn't about the mission like he thought but of another matter. "Speaking of Glimmer, we have more then enough to by a new ship. Now before you say anything yes I know that this ship can caterer to all our spacey needs but, well how shall I say this, it's old real old and sooner or later it isn't going to able to make jumps without something breaking every time sooo what do you say about getting a better, newer ship?"

"No."

Nox-23 didn't even take more then a second to answer. This jumpship had been the first he ever owned and it had gotten him out of quite a few pickles. Besides the ship had yet to have any big mechanical trouble so why fix something that isn't broken.

Nox-23 readied his argument knowing full well his Ghost was going to complain. Suddenly the ship's HUD lit up with warning lights and alarms. "Oh no. Fallen ship coming out of a jump right behind us. We ne-" The Ghost's voice died off just as Nox-23 felt the ship shake violently as a torpedo exploded nearby.

"We need to get out of here! Make a jump."

"Where?" Nox-23's Ghost asked through the sounds of explosions and gut turning evasion maneuvers.

"ANYWHERE!! Just get us out of here."

The Ghost didn't need to be told twice. "Ok! Random course entered.....Jump Drive ready...Jump insinuated. Everything became a blur in the eyes of Nox-23. He felt himself push back into the seat as the ship as it entered the fastest speed known to man. Nox-23's vision returned to normal just as the inertia dampeners kicked in. "Well that is more then enough excitement for one day." Nox-23's Ghost spoke up after several moments of silence.

Even as a machine not needing to breath Nox-23 found a way to let out a sigh of relief. "Well we are definitely not going back to Pluto now. Are we in the clear?"

Dropping out of the Spacejump was his answer. They had arrived at some sort of solar system, Nox-23 could already see a green and blue orb with a moon hanging beside it just outside his starboard viewport. "were are we." He asked barely realizing that he had said something.

"I don't really know. You did say random course but from what I can pick up from the sensors is that this solar system has two planets and one moon...make that One and a half planets. here let me show you." The HUD changed to show Nox-23 a diagram of the solar system before zooming into the before mentioned planet or what was left of it. The Planet itself was a dull brown color with a chuck of it's mass missing. Small pieces of rock and matter floated around it unable to escape it's gravity. "Don't know what caused that and let's hope we don't find out. The ghost said warily. "But on the brighter side the planet with the moon is inhabitable through I can't get much more, something is interfering with our sensors."

Nox-23 stared at the screen, fascinated at the fact he had found such a planet. He wondered what kind of life was living on there. were they intelligent. How advance were they and what did they look like...did they look like humans are something else. The voice of his Ghost brought him out of his thoughts. "Ah oh, we have a problem."

"What's the matter now." Nox-23 groaned, returning his attention to the ship.

"We took damage in several sections of the ship before the jump and it's coming back to bite us. I need to land before we can fix it.' The ship dipped toward the direction of the planet and it's moon.

"I assume we can't make another jump." Nox-23 asked calmly, putting his helmet back on.

"We can if you what the ship to tear itself apart killing us both which I don't recommend. I'm plotting a course for the moon. hopefully there's no moon monsters waiting for us."

"If there is then I got a lot of small presents I can give them." Nox-23 retorted wishing he could grin. Unfortunately for Nox-23 and his Ghost, it was at the moment they reach the moon's orbit that thing turned to the unbelievable. The Ghost notice it first but it was too surprised to say anything to the now shocked Nox-23. The moon was moving and at a speed the no sphere of rock had business going. "Shit that can't be possible! Ghost?"

"I-I'm at a loss for words. this phenomenon should be impossible. Oh my, the sun! The sun is moving too. Nox-23 could see it to and as much as his mechanical brain told him that it couldn't happen he could not deny what he was seeing.

He however, could not allow himself to be over come by shock. In one second gone was the surprised Exo and in it's place was a focused Guardian. Quickly he garbed the controls and set his sites for the planet. The sun wasn't a problem, while it was coming around to the side of the planet he was on the burning ball of plasma would be way behind him. The problem he did face was the moon and more specifically the moon's gravity. The moon's gravity and speed would rip them apart. "Ghost give me a new destination. Presumably on the one thing this isn't moving."

Instantly a course trajectory appeared on the HUD. "I set our destination in the Northeast on one of the larger continents. There'll be sno-" Ghost's voice cut out and before Nox-23 could even form word he felt a strange wave of energy pass through him. He couldn't really describe it. It just felt like his body had taken a plunge into cold water yet at the same time he felt like he was standing under a warm spring sun. "I... ah don't know what that was but whatever that was sensors are now picking up everything we couldn't before... including life signs." Ghost voice returned a bit more excited then when it left.

The ship jerked as it left the moon's gravity. Nox-23 paid little attention to it. Instead he checked the HUD for life signs near the would be landing sight. There were none for hundreds of miles. Good no underdeveloped cultures will witness his visit to their beautiful world. The space around the ship caught on fire as it penetrated the atmosphere. The ship's rattling intensified and warning signs popped up everywhere ranging from fire hazards to hull breaches. Finally the most fearful warning came to Nox-23 by none other then his Ghost. "I'm guess I should tell you now that there is a good chance that we might explode... no pressure though."

"WHAT!!!!!"


It was a bright early morning in the Crystal Empire. Most ponies were just waking up to the sun's rays. Others however would just sleep onward to recuperate from last night's festivities. The reason for the festivities? The three year anniversary of the Crystal Empire's return. The festival was a huge success in part thanks to the help of the former Element Bearers and Equestrian princesses. In fact three of the princess were among the awoken. All standing on the Crystal Castle's Grand balcony.

Twilight Sparkle was breathing heavily and sweating profusely all the while looking up to the sky. Her senior Princesses watched her with smiles on their faces. Trotting over to her former student Celestia placed a wing over the exhausted Alicorn. "You did great today Twilight. You moved the moon a little to fast but you'll get use to it in due time."

The purple mare smiled back at her once upon a time teacher and friend. The appearance of a glass of water levitating within a indigo aura in front of her face made her jerk a little but with a glace at Luna who nodded in return she took the drink. She gulped it down in a very un-princess like manner but she did not care. Luna and Celestia smiled slightly at the younger Alicorns actions.
When the mare was done she started wiped away excess water from her muzzle. Twilight stopped halfway recalling that she was in the presence of two other ponies. She turn to face them with a sheepish smile on her face. "Sorry I-I guess I was a little thirsty. And thank you Luna."

Luna gave a short nod. 'You are welcome Twilight. I remember when I first started moving the moon. It was quite tiring at first but with practice it should get easier."

Twilight yet out a sigh of relief before sitting down on her haunches. "when you told me you wanted to teach me how to move the sun and moon on my own power I thought it would be impossible."

"Any single Alicorn has the power to move the sun and moon. It is much easier when your talent is such but not impossible. Both you and Cadance have the magic within you to do so but neither of you have needed to dig down so deep into your wellspring before so the magic within it's depths act like a room filled with stale air. But keep the door open enough and it will recycle with the fresh air, your more frequently used amount of magic and eventually it will become easy to call upon it....Do you understand what I am saying.?" Luna asked


Twilight rubbed her chin in thought before answering. " I think so, and I do understand that both Cadance and I need to get a dive deeper into our magical resources so we can take up moving the sun and moon in case of an emergency where two of you can't. Through I got to emit that I'm a bit surprise that I have more magic then I thought I had....Now that I think about it where is Cadance anyway?"

The two sister gave a short glace at each other before commenting. "Cadance has... some personal matter to attended to for awhile." Seeing Twilight's face worried glance Luna added to her sister's words. "Do not worry Twilight it is nothing bad...though I suggest waiting for her to bring it up before taking any action."

Twilight wasn't completely convinced, sure she trusted the other Princess but why would they be hiding something. She did however learned that everyone even friends have things that they don't want to share. She wouldn't encroach on Cadence's privacy on a simple curiosity especially if the other two Princesses didn't want her to . Twilight finally nodded in agreement only to fell something odd. It started small at first but soon it expanded. It was reaching out, extending, churning and then... her stomach grumbled.

Twilight's cheeks immediately redden. She gaze at the older princesses hoping they did not hear... they did. Celestia held a hoof over her mouth stiffing a giggle. Luna turned her face away but Twilight could still see the smirk from the corner of Luna's mouth.

"It sounds like somepony is hungry. Go on and get some breakfast we will come by later." Celestia said still trying to keep from giggling. Twilight didn't need to be told twice. She rushed from the balcony giving her senior Princesses quick goodbyes before disappearing altogether.

Luna watch her go and waited till she was sure Twilight was gone before she turned to address her older sister. "Did you feel it too?"

Celestia did not answer her sister immediately. Instead she set her sights to the sky, scanning it in the hopes of seeing something. "Yes, I had to block Twilight from sensing it too."

Luna trotted closer to her sister. Her steps filled with excitement. "Do- do you think it's from the Visitor? Has he returned." Luna's eyes widen with wonder. She remembered the tells of the Visitor and the many things accomplished during that Era. She, as well as Celestia had been engrossed of the tales of old involving the Visitor when they were young. Now that enthusiasm was returning.

Celestia shared her sister's enthusiasm. Did this mean the Visitor thought them ready? If so she could finally end her years of lying and withholding the truth from her ponies... Still something wasn't quite right. Celestia thought it very possible that the Visitor would send a message but with all it's power wouldn't it be able to search them out among all the other creatures living on the planet. Luna seemed to shared her thoughts.

"If that is a message from the Visitor wouldn't it be seeking us out or an Alicorn at least....unless it's just a signal to meet somewhere."

Celestia shook her head. "No it is to be a message. that is what mom and dad told us." Her gaze descended to the floor as she contemplated what to do next. Her sister waited patiently allowing her older sibling to make the decision on what to do. It took only a few minutes for Celestia to decide the next course of action. "I will take several of our guards and investigate the location it is heading to. Let us hope that it is truly something from the visitor and not something malaises."


"I'm surprised you haven't said anything about freezing your butt off if you were human."

Nox-23 facepalmed listening to his Ghost trying to make wisecracks as the two of them worked on fixing the ship. They had been lucky. Just after breaking through the atmosphere the ship's engines started to falter. It was through skill and persistence that Nox-23 was able land the ship safely. The cold winter weather did little to hinder Nox-23 and his Ghost as they went about fixing the ship. Several sections of the ship need major repairs before the ship could fly again while others could wait till the could return to a hanger. It was a miracle that between the two of them that they knew how to get the ship back in working order. Unfortunately even with their knowledge the repairs were still taking quite some time to complete, hence the Ghost's attempts to lighten the mood.

Nox-23 stopped what he was doing to stare at his Ghost floating right besides him. "Why would I say something like that?"

The Ghost wavered in the air a bit before answering. "well I expected that it was something you would say. You have on occasion compared yourself to a human...Do you have something against humans? or a complex of sorts?"

Nox-23 Stared blankly back at his Ghost. This conversation was going to a path that he did not want it to take. It was by pure luck that any required response was halted by the one who had started it. " As much as I hate to say it, we need to rap this up for now. I detected a heavy blizzard coming in." The ghost rose into the sky looking off into the distance.

The Exo followed the gaze of his floating ball-shaped friend. The sky looked no different then when he landed. Very grey and very cloudy. Nevertheless he knew to trust what his Ghost says. Returning his focus to the ship. It was still a long way away from being repaired. Working through a snowstorm would hinder any work he would try to get done. "Ghost, help me clean up before the storm hits."

His ghost turned away from the clouds can came up right next to him. "Of course partner."

It took five minutes for the two of them to clean up and cover the exposed areas of the ship. They were just in time too, the blizzard arrived just was they finished. Snow, hail and icy wind rained down upon Nox-23. Even with his mechanical body he was feeling the chill of the weather against his body. "Ok, bringing you aboard." The voice of his Ghost sounded in his head. A second later he was engulfed in a slivery light before it faded away into nothing.

Nox-23 reappeared inside the ship glad to be out of the blizzard. "Finally! It took you long enough to transport me inside. what took you so long." he grumbled, shaking off loose snow.

"Sorry I had to run a diagnostic program to check on the ship... It took longer then I thought it would."

Nox-23 just shook his head in response before tilting his head up to look at the ceiling. Several minutes passed by while Nox-23 stared at the ceiling of the cockpit. "Hey, Ghost what do we do know?"

"Sleep I guess."

The answer surprised Nox-23. He broke off his ceiling watching to stare blankly at the space in front of him. "Sleep? are you serious?"

"yes." the Ghost answered pensively "The blizzard won't pass us for another few hours so you might was well go into sleep mode. Besides it could do you some good with everything that has happened today. I'm thinking of sleeping too, and don't worry I'll the sensors on just ion case something is out there."

Nox-23 could help laughing inwardly. Indeed he had been busy in the last few hours. His ghost's words did have merit. Exo's maybe machines but even they needed to lay down and recharge their energy every once and a while. Nox-23 leaded back into his seat and closed his eyes. Soon enough the guardian was asleep, unaware of the changes he would soon bring.