• Published 29th Jul 2014
  • 1,656 Views, 65 Comments

Fallout Equestria: Tales of Transylvania. - MeetSouder



Midnight Wind and Scarlet Rose find themselves in a new world when the inhabitants of Stable 17, forced them to leave. Now in their native land of Thestra "batponies", they begin their journey uncovering the secrets that make up Transylvania

  • ...
17
 65
 1,656

Chapter Eight: The Dawn of War

Chapter Eight: The Dawn of War

***

“Bloody hell…” Scarlet trailed off as we all halted our flight and came to a hover.

Before us, lay the Rafael Air Base bathed in the cool glow of the moon. The forest, similar to around Renaissance, gave way to an enormous clearing. The clearing stretched onward into an oblong circle with one of the sides sharing a huge rock face of the hundred of miles of mountains that surrounded Transylvania. In the center of the clearing however, was one of the most complex settlements I have ever seen. I mean, given I had only seen Renaissance, that wasn’t saying much. But you get it.

Along the center of the ovular clearing, a long road of pavement stretched, the ancient and cracking asphalt was covered in an organised system of white paint. Next to the longest road, sat a slightly smaller road, a few three or four pony air vehicles sat parked there. On the end of the roads was a large three story building, a tall tower with cracked and filthy glass was erected out of it and a jumble of uniformed ponies surrounded the building, busily maintaining and following their orders.

Along the other side of the largest road sat four huge buildings, their semicircle roofs reached onto either side, looking like a giant steel tent. The one furthest from the base had a caved in roof, and I guessed it was probably unused.

What got Scarlet’s attention, however, was not the complexity of the base. But rather the enormous, jet-black monstrosity that sat hovering a few hundred hooves over the airfield.

Absolutely gargantuan jet engines rumbled and kept the flying ship aloft, a light fog could be seen surrounding the center section and the occasional thunderbolt would strike out and hit one of the hundreds of little rods that covered the vessel. Cool blue windows lined what I could only assume was a command deck, and port-holes on various decks showed around the ship. Massive turrets were organized on all sides, they pointed forwards in a standby position with barrels coated in shiny chrome, reflecting the moonlight.

Underneath the ship sat two enormous double barreled turrets, their barrels were more rectangular and sported a pattern of faintly glowing green lights along the lengths, actually kind of similar to the design of Penny’s pistol when I thought about it.

Atop the rear of the ship, kind of like a cutie mark, was a large symbol: a yellow thunderbolt encircled by a dozen yellow stars was painted. Across the length of the ship, the words Hail Storm was written in yellow letters.

“ Hail storm…” I looked over to Penny as she slowly read, her eyes widening with what I could only assume was realization.

“That...That be there a- a cloudship…” She trailed off, her gaze never drifted away from the words written on the side..

“A bloody what?” Ballpoint asked.

“Wait, you guys are telling me that this isn’t supposed to be here?” I asked, looking to Ballpoint and Silver.

Silver, for his part was just as surprised, he turned to me with a confused look and answered.

“None of us have ever been to Rafael before… But I can guarantee you mate, that that isn’t one of ours.” He said pointing to the cloudship.

That” Penny spoke up. “Be a Thunderhead class battle cruiser. The largest ships in the Grand Pegasus Enclave… Except this one is different, I’ve never seen that particular symbol on the hull of the Hail Storm. If it is what I think it is, then there’s something seriously wrong going on with the ponies of the Enclave.” She concluded, finally breaking her concerned stare.

I gave Penny a cross look, how could somepony have so much knowledge about the organization? I was trying to piece the coincidences together in my head, her pistol was not of regular design, and even her pea coat looked like it was some kind of standard issue military uniform now that I thought about it.

“Enclave…” Scarlet played with the word. “Hey, Aurora told Middy and I that they don’t stay around these parts. They supposedly haven’t been in contact with Transylvania for years!” She exclaimed, lifting her hooves into the air.

“Aye we haven’t… Penny, how’d you know so much about this?” Ballpoint added, turning to face Penny with a dangerous look.

“I.. I’ll explain later mate… But that right there, is no longer an Enclave Thunderhead, that symbol be one of the reasons we’re still flying here without a whole battalion of armed ponies coming to question us.” She frowned and looked around the base. Her eyes focused on the three flying contraptions “Speaking of which, three squadrons are already on the ground. We need to get down there, I need to talk to somepony.” She started to fly forwards again.

“Wait, wait hold up!” I exclaimed pushing forward with my wings and grabbing her hind leg. Eliciting a yelp from Penny as she was pulled back, causing us to slowly decrease in altitude.

“What are you talking about? Last I heard, the Enclave are more hostile than neutral to anypony not involved with them. Are you looking to get yourself killed?” I shook her in midair, my wings strained to keep us both aloft..

“Hey, watch it you’re gonna both fall to the ground if you don't start flapping harder soon. ” Scarlet nervously called from behind me.

“Oh can it, I can get him off me own way, thank ye very much!” Penny spat with uncalled for spite.

“Okay… sorry mate, Lundadamn.” Scarlet mumbled.

I quickly let got of Penny and we both flapped up to the others. Penny kept shooting Scarlet a weird look, and I couldn’t help but notice Silver was doing the same to me. Luna above, what is up with these two?

“Look, Penumbra, just explain to us what the hay is going on, I just don’t get how anypony could know so much about these ponies!” I pleaded.

Penny sighed and nodded. She hovered to the ground and sat down, followed by the rest of us as we formed a small circle around her.

“Fine mates, I’ll try t’keep it brief though.” She continued, “I’m sure ye all know of The Grand Pegasus Enclave, how they all live above the clouds and pretty much hate anything that comes from below? Saying we’re all dirty and impure like them?” She asked to as all, and we nodded.

“Well, believe it or not mates, but I was a part of one of their Squadrons.” She spoke softly.

“Isn’t it called the Grand Pegasus Enclave though?” Scarlet asked quickly.

Penny shot her a dirty look and rolled her eyes,

Aye, but they had a regiment for our kind.” She sarcastically replied, then turning back to the rest of us she continued once more. Scarlet let out a huff and remained silent. I placed a comforting hoof on hers, and she flashed me a small smile.

“Just after th’bombs fell hundreds of years ago, when the pegasi closed up the sky with clouds, a lot of th’Bat Ponies from Hollow Shades followed them as well, trying to escape the apocalypse. Because of this, they allowed us to live with them, maybe with a bit of bloody racism for not being pegasi, but at least we were able to survive. Fast forward to just over a year ago, and ye’ll find me. I was part of this,” She pointed to the Hail Storm.

“The Hail Storm was th’flagship of the ‘Thestral Regiment’, that’s what they called us. Each regiment in the Enclave was organized into groups called “flights” and me flight was the expeditionary force. We would come down and monitor Transylvania.” She paused.

“Then how did you become the assistant doctor in Renaissance?” Silver quietly asked.

Penny’s expression dropped and she nodded sadly.

“I was a surgeon lad, with my flight. During one of our missions I was assigned as a field medic, we came across a group of travelers who were attacked by something from the forest, one of them needed immediate medical attention or he would have died! It was completely against orders, but I stayed behind and assisted him. It just so happens this laddie was Broken Bone himself. Well, turns out that was bloody unacceptable, and when I returned to the base, I was exiled immediately. They burned off me cutie marks and sent me about me way…” She trailed off.

Penny grabbed the corner of her saddlebag and lifted it, showing the scarred thunderbolt that sat upon her flanks.

Ballpoint let out a whistle, “That’s bloody awful lass…”

“Aye, after all this, I came to Renaissance. Lo and behold, Broken Bone, luna bless his soul, offered me a job and one of his houses on his property in thanks for saving his life. If not for him, I don’t know what would have become of me… He was more of a grandfather to me if anything...” She sniffled.

Poor filly, she must have been a lot closer to Broken than I imaged.

Silver put a hoof around her shoulder and held her close, Penny, for her part finally let loose her pent up emotion since the battle a few nights ago. Scarlet let out a small whine and looked to me sadly, life out here was hard for everypony. How could she and I have been so blissfully unaware locked in our stable?

“Well I’ll be damned... “ I spoke, turning to face the Hail Storm.

“It looks like you’re not the only exiled one then, that ship has a matching symbol, just like you.” I pointed, looking back to Penny as she was recovering.

“A-aye lad… Last I knew, they were a part of the Enclave. That’s why I need to speak with me former commander, I need to know why they’re here, especially how an entire Thunderhead gets exiled, it’s not like the Enclave to just ditch a battle cruiser.” She slowly got out of Silver’s embrace, who for his part, was blushing slightly.

“Well mates, look’s like we all know what we’re here for, I’m sorry lass, that was a fine story, but we need to remain on task.” Ballpoint spoke up, standing and readjusting his rifle on his back. For how annoying he was, the colt sure had his priorities in check, he was good at keeping us all on task.

“Me, Scarlet and the lover colt-” he pointed to each of us and Silver.

“Hey, w-watch yourself lieutenant!” Silver stammered.

“...need to report to General Falcon as soon as possible.” He continued with a smirk. ”Midnight, ye mentioned speaking to the Colonel of the Rafael forces, and Penny you need to see yer commander. So I say let’s get to it then, eh?” Ballpoint motioned to the base.

“Wait, hold up a second, we’re not splitting up again!” Scarlet stood quickly and clung to my side.

Aww she really likes me! my chest fluttered as I leaned against her happily.

Penny rolled her eyes and looked away, rising to all fours as well.

“Well Scarlet I know you only just reunited with Midnight, but it’s imperative that we meet with the General.” Silver joined our standing and looked over to Penny in concern.

“How about we all visit the General, since we were all involved with the battle, I’m sure he would be fine with more intel!” Scarlet pleaded.

Silver paused and probably weighed the suggestion in his head. He lowered his shoulders and sighed.

“That’s not exactly what he ordered but I can’t fight that logic. Besides, maybe we can get the Colonel nearby as well for Midnight.” He shrugged.

“I- I’m sure ye can all come aboard the Hail Storm with me afterwards too.” Penny spoke up. “If I’m going to report to my old commander, I would want ye to be there.” She smiled, mostly to me.

I let out a chuckle and smiled, “Well sure! We wouldn’t want you to head there alone!”.

She really fits in well, I think this group is gonna be just fine! I obliviously thought.

I could feel Scarlet tense against me and she quickly turned my head with a hoof and placed a
huge kiss on my lips.

Wit my eyes wide in surprise, I could see scarlet peek open an eye at Penny, who for her part was blushing hotly and glaring at Scarlet.

“Oookay….” Ballpoint facehooved. “Bedrooms lass, they exist, use them please. None of us want to see ye and yer colt go any further.” he began to trot down the hill towards the base shaking his head.

“A- aye! That’s disgusting and uh- stop?” Penny stammered.

I felt Scarlet giggle around the kiss and push harder against me, oh she was just enjoying this too much huh?

Scarlet finally broke the kiss and whispered close to my muzzle.

“Mine.”

She then happily started trotting after the group. I shook my head and galloped to catch up.

Mares…

***

As we trotted past the flying contraptions, I finally got a better look at them. We were on the “flight line” as Silver called it. It was the smaller road next to the runway and supposedly was used to hold aircraft temporarily to refuel.

“Luna’s moon! Look! Those have got to be thirty millimetre cannons on her!” Scarlet yelled over the deafening roar of the Hail Storm’s gargantuan engines overhead as we crossed under them. The powerful thrusters displaced so much air, I felt like there was at least ten extra pounds on my back pushing me down.

Scarlet galloped ahead of us and was practically all over the last aircraft in excitement. She leapt up and perched on top of the armored glass cockpit and stared upside down at one of the twin cannons that were mounted under the nose.

These “Vertibuck’s” as Penny explained, were used for long range missions, and provided heavy air support during firefights. Yes, being pegasi and batponies, we could fly on our own, but not for hundreds of miles on end, and especially not with such big guns. These things were practical for exactly what they were designed for. War.

They were powered by twin turboprop jet engines, each connected to a rotary blade. The rear of the aircraft had a V tailed stabilizer. The Vertibuck was an assault transport, and sported sliding doors on either side so troops and supplies could be easily carried. On the left side, a nasty looking cannon was mounted on a stand, probably used to circle an area and provide covering fire.

Penny explained these were Vertibuck Mk I’s the earliest installment of the vehicle. Apparently her unit of Bat Ponies always got the butt end of the stick, besides having the state-of-the-art Hail Storm. They were the last to see upgrades, and this old equipment required constant maintenance to run properly. Supposedly, the rest of the Enclave’s Vertibuck fleet was equipped with turbofan jet engines without the helicopter blades, and the Vertibuck Mk III’s were sleeker, faster and better armed with a rotating remote controlled cannon under the nose.

“Scarlet, get down from there, I doubt they want to clean your hoofprints off the glass.” Silver groaned and sat down in front of the Vertibuck.

“B-but look at them mates!” She whined and jumped down on one of the cannons. Balancing with her front right hoof and back left hoof. “These are Prussian thirty-seven millimeter anti-tank cannons! They fire their shells at like, three bloody hundred rounds per minute!” She exclaimed with excitement.

This particular Vertibuck was painted dark grey and had a ferocious red and white shark jaw painted around the cannons on the nose. A yellow stripe was painted from tip to tail down the middle and a large white number 5 was painted on either side of the tail. The inscription “Reaper” was written in black paint under the cockpit on the right side, with a cartoon black cloaked stallion painted sitting with a silver blood soaked scythe under the words. Five yellow dots were lined under the cockpit glass.

“Aye lassie, they’re big guns.” Ballpoint rolled his eyes.

“And, and, and!” Scarlet continued, spreading her wings and gliding to the side of the Vertibuck, where a sliding door was open, showing the crew compartment. The sliding doors had the yellow lightening bolt and starts painted on as well. Matching the Hail Storm.

“This is a Luna damned minigun! An IS3000! These bloody monsters fire seven-point-six-two rifle rounds at three thousand rounds per minute! I’ve never seen one up close… Do you think they’d let me shoot it?” Scarlet coddled the multi barreled machine….cannon… gun? I didn’t even know what to call it.

“No.” Everypony deadpanned. Well except me, I just smiled at her, I thought she was cute!

“Hey! You ponies ain’t authorized to be climbing on my bird!” An Equestrian accented mare called out from behind us.

We all turned around and saw a half black half blue maned, grey coated Bat Pony mare trotting towards us with an angry look. She was wearing a grey-green flight suit, and a dark grey helmet with a yellow stripe down the middle. The helmet’s shaded visor and microphone were pushed up on the top. Her flight suit had various patches on the shoulders and chest.

Scarlet poked her head out from the cockpit’s door and looked at what was going on from the crew compartment.

“You! What the hell are you doin’ in there?!” The mare hollard and galloped past us, headed to Scarlet.

Scarlet let out and “eep” and drove out the other side. The mare, who I could only assume was the pilot of this vertibuck, quickly darted between the sliding doors and jumped out the other side as well, giving chase to Scarlet.

Scarlet yelled louder and galloped around the Vertibuck, right towards me! She jumped over my back with her wings and cowering behind me. I looked back in panic to the furious mare charging at me now.

“Whoa whoa whoa! Wai-” I held up a hoof and backpedaled.

The pilot body slammed into me, knocking the wind out of my lungs and toppling both me and Scarlet over. For a mare her size, she sure packed a punch!

“Yanno, in hindsight, maybe I should have done something to stop that.” Silver nonchalantly commented above me.

“Aye.” Ballpoint concurred. Those useless stallions were just sitting there watching this! Penny held a hoof to her mouth giggling. They think this is some kind of game?

The pilot let out a huff and flicked dust off her sleeve with a hoof. I slowly got to all fours and helped poor Scarlet up, who was trapped under me during the fall.

“That’s what you get for messin with my filly.” She flashed a cocky grin.

No bucking way I thought to myself.

I quickly looked between her and Ballpoint. She was just a bucking filly, maybe fifteen or sixteen years old. And that look.

She’s just as cocky as that bastard!

Ballpoint shot me a confused look as to why I was staring at him so much.

Luna guide me, the last thing I need is two cocky foals running around me!

Okay, fine they’re not foals, hell by equestrian tradition they’re technically a stallion and mare cause they have cutie marks, but still!

“Who are you miss?” Silver asked, giving me a quick glance, I was itching to tackle her back at this point.

“Name’s Moon Glider, they just call me Momo though.” She flashed a friendly smile and flicked the small bit of her silky black mane that poked under her helmet out of her eyes.

“I’m the Vertibuck pilot of Reaper 5, that beauty behind me.” She nodded her head to the Vertibuck. “Specifically the Vertibuck filles like you aren't allowed to climb all over!” She pointed a judgemental hoof to Scarlet, who was cowering behind me once more. Scarlet nodded rapidly.

“S-sorry, I was just admiring it...” Scarlet nearly whispered.

“Well you could’a done that from afar couldn’t ya?” Momo sighed then smiled softly.

“Sorry for hitting you two so hard there. Did you at least like what you saw of her?” She asked more gently this time.

“Yeah it’s fine, it didn’t really hur-” I was cut off my Scarlet shoving me aside and trotting up to Momo excitedly.

“Buck yeah! Those Prussian auto cannons! How did you get your hooves on such impressive hardware mate? I thought Equestria only had those on the eastern front during the war!” Scarlet animatedly blurted out.

“Oh yeah! My PU37’s? Normally the Mark One only carries IS20 twenty millimeter autos, but the Hail Storm ran across an old Prussian base, just out of the Hollow Shades ruins, that was stocked full of heavy hardware! The inhabitants were all Bat Ponies and the Enclave permitted us to trade with them if they agreed to surrender the weapons to us. Those babies are in mint condition, hell I haven’t even gotten to fire them on anything besides practice targets yet!” Momo responded just as excitedly. I rolled my eyes and trotted over to Ballpoint, Silver and Penny.

I promptly swatted Ballpoint on the back of the head and took a seat next to him and Silver as the two mares went about their merry conversation.

“Ow! What the bloody hell was that for you damned-soddy-wank-stain!?” Ballpoint cursed and rubbed his head.

“She reminds me of you, I had to get my revenge for Momo tackling me.” I shrugged.

“Ye bloody what? Tha-that’s not how it buckin’ works laddie!” Ballpoint sputtered.

I chuckled and looked over to Silver, nudging him in the chest to get him to join in. He didn’t move though, he was staring at Penny, who had been silent this whole time.

“Hey what’s wrong with her?” I muttered.

“That’s what I’m worried about, she looks confused and worried.” Silver softly spoke.

Penny slowly rose to all fours and approached Momo. She gently tapped her on the shoulder to get her attention.

“We’ve got these rounds onboard, the APIT, those things could cut clean through the armor of a- huh? Yeah what’s up?” Momo was cut off and turned to face Penny. “Could I help you?” She smiled.

“What happened to Shooting Star 5?” Penny gently asked.

“Shooting what now?” Momo took off her helmet and shook her mane free, her medium wavy mane fell just onto her shoulders.

“Shooting Star 5, ye know, Yellow 5? Of the Second Expeditionary Squadron?” Penny asked gently.

“O-oh! Yeah, they were shot down like ten months ago bud. When I was trained in, Me and Reaper here, we’re the replacement for the Squad.” Momo Scratched her head. “Say, how’d you know about em’? They were all KIA when she went down. The Second was completely re-outfitted with new ponies.” Momo added.

Penny’s face paled and she sat down quickly. “All KIA? Are ye sure lass? Did anypony make it out okay?”

Momo looked up in thought. “Hmm, I dunno, there were rumors of one MIA pony, but besides that we got the bodies and tags of all 5 on board. Say, now I see it, that coat, that’s an officer’s coat, how’d you get that?” Momo asked, her expression taking an edge to it.

Penny sighed, and reached into her saddle bag, pulling out a bead chain with 2 small metal tags attached, she showed it to Momo, whose eyes widened. Momo quickly stiffened and gave a sharp salute.

“Ma’am! My apologies, good evening Lieutenant Colonel Penumbra!” She recited with professional ease.

“Yer kiddin’ me! Last I need is another officer over me shoulders!” Ballpoint groaned to my left.

“At ease, at ease lass, I’m not in the Enclave anymore. Hell, even me squadron isn’t… isn’t alive anymore…” She trailed off, placing the dogtags back into her saddle bag.

Momo dropped her salute and relaxed a little. “Wait, you were a part of Shooting Star 5? Were you the MIA pony? How? What happened? Sorry ma’am, if I may ask.” She blurted out.

Penny nodded solemnly. “Aye, apparently so. Don’t call me by my rank Momo, that life is behind me now, besides, I was a surgeon by trade, the rank only came with the profession. I’ve been a Dashite ever since.” She looked into Momo’s eyes with seriousness.

Momo stood with a blank expression. Slowly her mouth curled into a smile, she suddenly started giggling and grabbed Penny by the shoulder, turning her around and pointing up above us at the Hail Storm.

The massive titan of the sky stood in contrast to the bright moon that now stood at the highest point in the sky. The ship’s lights and engines gave it an ominus glow, the yellow lightning bolt and stars highlighted by a spotlight on her hull.

“Ya see that? We’re all Dashite’s silly filly! The Hail Storm is the flagship of all Bat Ponies who left the Enclave!” Momo excitedly cheered.

Well that’s new. I thought, looking at Silver, Ballpoint and Scarlet’s shocked expressions.

“Wha-what?! Yer tellin’ me not only is the Hail Storm Dashite, which I’m gonna be honest; I kinda figured that, that’s why we walked willy-nilly down here. But every Bat Pony in the Enclave left?!” Penny exclaimed.

“Yup! Not even with a fight!” Momo Laughed. “We got sick of the way the Enclave treated us, so we secretly packed up everything, slowly over the course of months, then every civilian, mother and foal came aboard one night, there weren’t too many of us yanno, and we just took her down below the clouds!” She proudly recited.

“Bu- bu- but how'd the Enclave not know of this?!” Penny frantically pointed to, well, everything.

“Oh-ho-ho they know all right! But we disabled the tracking and comms that were connected to the HQ. Then we flew over all of bucking equestria for about three months to confuse em. Finally, we figured Transylvania was the best place to go since the only regiment that was stationed here happened to be us!” Momo explained. “We only got here yesternight, and we just finished unloading all of the civilians and their belongings. From what I hear, the top brass made an agreement to help settle Rafael with all of us Dashites, with the trade that the Hail Storm is commanded by the Transylvanian Guard!” Momo concluded.

Penny sat there staring with a blank expression. She then closed her eyes and fell onto the asphalt.

“Penny!” Silver hollard and bolted forward to her.

We all rushed around the fainted form of Penny, Silver quickly knelt and held her head up off the ground petting her mane.

“Bloody nora, you went and made her faint! It was too much for her!” Silver shouted.

“Wha-what it’s not my fault! I was only telling the truth! Is she gonna be okay?” Momo peeked over his shoulder in concern.

Penny’s eyes fluttered open and met eyes with Silver. For the shortest bit, I could have sworn I saw her cheeks turn the slightest shade of pink. But then she quickly rolled off of Silver and sat on her flank, holding her head.

“Th-thanks Silver, what happened? How long was I out?” She mumbled.

“Only a few seconds, are you okay Penny?” Silver awkwardly asked.

“Aye, aye I’m fine mate. Just bumped me head a little…” Penny trailed off. “Look, Momo, this is.. amazing, but it’s a lot to take in. I appreciate it that you told me this though.” She nodded to Momo.

Momo nodded and smiled softly. “Yeah, but say, us being Dashites makes you an officer again if ya think about it, right?”

“I- I guess, I need to speak to whoever’s in command. You said the Hail Storm and her crew was transferred to the command of General Falcon? Where can we find him?” Penny asked.

“Yup! The officer’s building is attached to the control tower there” Momo pointed to the tall building with all the dinky windows lined up on the top. “Ma’am, you know you can’t just walk in and expect to speak to the top banana… You’ve gotta go through the chain?” She cocked her head in confusion.

“Momo” Silver spoke up with authority. Momo’s ears perked up and she looked over to us. “I apologize for not introducing ourselves to you properly. I’m Captain Silver Dusk of the Renaissance Transylvanian Guard, this is my partner Lieutenant Ballpoint, and my companions Midnight Wind and Scarlet Rose. We’ve been ordered to report directly to General Falcon. We’re not jumping any chains here.” Silver concluded with a sharp nod.

Hey! Who said he’s got to be in charge of everypony?

Momo quickly came to attention and saluted once more, “Good evening gentlecolts, my apologies for not recognizing your insignia prior to this.”

“At ease airpony, you’re not under my command.” Silver spoke uneasily. “Right?”

Momo stood with her rear hooves apart and forehooves together at parade rest position and reported professionally. “Captain Dusk, according the General Falcon of the Transylvanian Guard and General Breeze of the Thestral Regiment, all former Enclave members are to be integrated into the ranks of the Transylvanian Guard, I’ve been promoted to the rank of Master Sergeant and assigned as Pilot to the Squadron: Yellow ‘Reaper’ 5. We’ve been stationed at Rafael since it’s the only operational airport in Transylvania.” She paused, and looked at us in concern. “Ar- are you all officers? I’m sorry I wasn’t aware!”

“Yes we are!” I quickly cut in. A dark grey hoof slapped my shoulder causing me to wince.

No we bloody aren’t dummy!” Scarlet retorted, looking at Momo’s confused expression. “Just these three.” She pointed to Ballpoint, Penny and Silver.

It was worth a shot.

“Uh, well then... “ Silver Trailed off.

“Eh this one?” Ballpoint leaned closer to Momo and pointed to Silver. ”Just call him lovercolt” He whispered, loud enough for Silver to hear..

“Lieutenant of all times? Really? There is a subordinate present!” Silver complained, dropping his professionalism.

“Lassie,” Ballpoint continued. “Don’t bother with the formalities. We’re not the kind of officers to care, this one’s just got a log stuck somewhere up his arse.” He chuckled.

“Oh, uh well, why’s that? Most officers I’ve met are pretty strict on fraternization and policies!” Momo nervously laughed.

“Look, plain and simple lassie, Dusk and I are stand off from the rest of the guard. To play it safe, we’re special. We don’t interact with soldiers regularly, and I personally don’t care for formalities, as long as yer kind, yer a friend. The rest of what we do? That’s classified.” Ballpoint finished with a smile.

“Classified… Oh no, you’re not part of the secret service are ya? Aw jee, I’m sorry guys, look I’m just a pilot! Please don’t report me!” Momo panicked.

“No, no Momo, we’re not. Maybe if we cross paths in the future, you’ll be qualified to know what we do, but for now I guess Ballpoint actually has a point for once.” Silver sighed. “Though I still think fraternization should be discouraged Lieutenant.” SIlver glared at Ballpoint, who was leaning in a “cool” way towards Momo.

“But hey guys!” Scarlet interrupted. “Conveniently, we all need to go to General Falcon, no more chances of splitting up!” She cheered from my right.

“Aye, let’s get moving, there’s a lot more that I want to ask now…” Penny added.

Silver stood up and readjusted himself, “Right, let’s get moving.”

“I hope to see ye around lassie, ye sure are a lovely mare I’d like to speak to again. Maybe we can speak more about fraternization in private. ” Ballpoint winked to Momo.

Momo sputtered and pointed to the control tower. “Uh, if you’ve been ordered, General Falcon is there, in the control tower. I’ve got to do some pre-flight checks before I head up to the Hail Storm and I’m scheduled to get maintenence.” She looked over to Ballpoint quickly, “Just, meet up with me later if you want, I’ll be here for a while, ‘kay?” She spoke softly.

She then quickly put her helmet back on, and the visor fell crooked across her face, I could see a hot blush on her face before she fixed it and turned around..

“Bye Momo!” Scarlet called out over her shoulder as we began trotting over to the tower. “I like her Middy! And here I thought I might not make any friends out of the stable!” She flashed a bright smile to me, which I returned.

Ballpoint had a big goofy grin on his face, his cocky attitude ditched momentarily for excitement and joy. For once I was actually kinda glad to see him like that. He caught my stare and dropped his expression to his usual “too cool for you” look.

I snorted and looked to Silver and Penny. They were walking side by side talking quietly, at least she was finally opening up to him, she was really detached for a while. She’s been through a lot, and I could only imagine how she’s handling both the loss of Broken Bone and hearing the news of her former squadron.

We trotted quickly towards the base of the tower, opting not to fly because of the massive air currents the Hail Storm’s engines produced. We’d be blown around like leaves.

When we approached the double glass doors at the base, they automatically slid open with a wincing squeal of metal. The aged motors struggling to do their task. We entered the small circular lobby of the control tower. A ring of desks and computers circled an elevator in the center, ponies in similar uniform to the Renaissance Guard were manning them, all sporting the insignia of subordinate soldiers.

“Name, rank and reason of entering?” A bored central Braytish stallion’s voice called out from our right. He was a Transylvanian in full combat armor and armed with a IS4 on his back, exactly like Scarlet’s carbine.

“Silver Dusk, Captain, Renaissance Guard. We’ve been ordered to report to General Falcon regarding the recent attacks.” Silver reported clearly.

“Ballpoint, Lieutenant, same, same.” Ballpoint lazily waved a hoof in the air.

“These three” Silver motioned towards Scarlet, Penny and I, “ Are with us, they’ve been requested more or less as well.” He finished dropping his hoof.

“Right, good evening gentlecolts.” The guard nodded, and quickly drew a pencil from a small pocket on his armor. He then wrote something down on a ledger that was resting on a small desk next to him. He reached a hoof up and pressed a button on the wall to his right. “The elevator is on its way down, General Falcon and General Breeze are topside.” He finished with a nod, and returned to… guarding. I mean really, he’s just standing there.

We trotted passed all of the ponies who were busy with computers and paperwork, each one nodded and greeted the officers with the time of day. We paused at the base of the elevator shaft and I could hear the creaking and squealing of machinery on the other side of the double doors. A slight draft was pushing through the crack as the elevator pushed it’s way down. The place was alight with noise of orders, conversation and busy work.

“Say Silver,” Scarlet quietly spoke up, Silver’s ear swiveled and he turned around, listening. “Why’s everypony greeting you two like that, and not saluting anymore?” She tilted her head in confusion.

The elevator doors opened with a ding. And we all trotted inside, uncomfortably close with all of our armor and weapons. The elevator was lit with a dull yellow light, cracked and dirty mirrors lined the walls. Since I was the closest one to the control panel, I bumped the “Up” button with a hoof. The elevator jarred with life and slowly made its long ascent, a cheery song started playing through the fuzzy speakers overhead.

“To answer your question Scar” Silver broke the uncomfortable silence. “Military customs and courtesies only permit saluting while outside, but greeting superiors is always taken place with a ‘good evening’ or such is the time of the day. This rule is exempted from reporting in however, like we’re about to do now. Here, we’ll salute the generals.” he explained.

“Ohhh.” Scarlet softly answered.

I harrumphed and stared forwards angrily.

Only I get to call her Scar.

The elevator doors opened with a similar ding and we all flooded out of the old machine quickly to gather what was left of our personal space. I took a brief moment to reflect on what just transpired. Why has this elevator been so significant? Why did I get the feeling that; if my life were to be told as a story, this one awkward and useless moment would be described in vivid detail, somehow playing major significance in the story. My mind wandered to the police booth in front of the Ironshod Firearms factory, a sense of deja vu overcame me.I felt as if one day, somepony would write down a tale concerning me, and he or she would think it was an excellent idea to throw in scenes of utter normality. Quiet unspoken moments like this would thrown in for entertainment purposes, perhaps the storyteller was bored. Why?

“Uh… lad?” Ballpoint’s voice interrupted my thoughts.

“Huh, yeah? What?” I shook my head rapidly and looked around me.

We were now in the middle of a room, the elevator we just got out of was flush with the back wall. In front, a wide arc of tall windows overlooked the airfield far below. Terminals glowing with maps and charts lined the side walls, and a few ponies with headsets were busy relaying information.

“Ye were staring into the ground in deep thought like. Are ye alright Midnight?” Penny asked with concern.

“Yup! I’m cool, don’t worry guys, I just had the craziest moment of deja vu…” I trailed off and felt the hairs of my coat stand up a little.

“Right…” Silver spoke incredulously.

I noticed the pregnant pause in sound around us, and I’m sure the others did as well. We all faced towards the tall windows.

“Who are you ponies?” A gruff voice asked sternly, his accent was the pinnacle of generic Equestrian.

The moonlight cast from the windows bathed the center of floor with a white light. Standing there, with binoculars and clipboards were two ponies. Or rather, one Bat Pony, and another… thing? It looked like somepony sawed an eagle and a lion in half and wonderglued them together.

The Bat Pony was a young mare, she was dressed in a coat similar to Penny’s, however it had a pair of silver stars on either side of the shoulders place on little straps. She had an officer’s cap with a black brim, and it also had a pair of silver stars on the center. Her coat was a very dark shade of blue-grey and her mane was pure white. A leather holster was strapped across her chest and buttons down to her side, where a pistol, also similar to Penny’s, sat.

The bird lion thing to our left, was a different story. He was dressed in the standard multi patterned digital camouflage that all of the Transylvanian Guards seemed to be wearing when out of their barding. His collar had a dazzling set of three golden rose heads in a pattern. And he wore a military cap also in camouflage. His chest had name tapes reading “Falcon” over the right pocket, and “Transylvania” on the left. He had a holstered revolver on his left foreleg, speaking of his forelegs, they honestly looked like birds legs on buffout. His coat was black and his feathers were steel grey, his eyes were a piercing green.

He turned to face us, and something caught my eye that sent shivers down my spine and tail. His left eye was covered by an eyepatch, and the entire left side of his feathered face was riddled with scars. The moonlight glinted off his right eye and I felt as if he was peering into my very soul. I couldn’t help be feel terribly uneasy around him. However despite that, my curiosity still got the best of me.

“Weirrrrd! What are yo-” I impulsively asked, but was cut off by a red-grey hoof slamming into my mouth.

“Good Evening Generals Breeze and Falcon, Captain SIlver Dusk and Lieutenant Ballpoint reports as ordered. Along with retired Lieutenant Colonel Penumbra, and civilians Midnight Wind and Scarlet Rose.” Silver dropped his hoof from my mouth and came to attention, saluting the bird lion thing in front of us and reporting without missing a beat.

Ballpoint, for the first time I’ve seen him ever do anything formal, also came to a similar position, quickly followed by Penny. As for me and Scarlet, we just awkwardly stood there.

“Retired Lieutenant Colonel…?” Breeze spoke softly. Her accent was something I couldn’t place my hoof on. She rolled her R’s similar to the northern Braytish, but she had more of a U sound in her vowels. Prussian maybe?

“Wait a second here mates, Breeze?” Penny perked up quickly, staring at General Breeze with bright eyes. “As in Winter Breeze? Is that really ye? The only bat pony mare in the Enclave to reach Colonel so quickly?” She spoke excitedly.

“P- Penumbra? No, this can’t be of true, you were declared killed in action fifteen months ago!” General Breeze’s expression dropped all senses of professionalism immediately.

Breeze galloped towards Penny and tackle hugged her, squealing in happiness.

“I thought you were dead Penny! All these months? How could this be? Where have you been? You retired?” Breeze bombarded Penny with questions.

“Winter! Lassie, calm down, I won’t have me life much longer until ye stop with the hug of death!” Penny cried.

General Breeze quickly got to all four hooves, and helped Penny up. Silver and Ballpoint were still at attention saluting, though not without strain. I could see Ballpoint’s hoof was shaking and a bead of sweat was trailing down SIlver’s neck. Scarlet stood very close to me, nervously taking in everything with wide golden eyes.

“Oh, oh, oh! Der’mo! At ease gentlecolts, you can release your salutes!” General Breeze swore... I think... as she quickly ordered them with a smile.

Both stallions let out a quiet sigh and lowered their hooves, returning out of their positions of attention. As for General Falcon, he sat stone cold glaring at us.

“Are you ladies done?” He spoke up.

“Excuse me Falcon, but I haven’t seen my comrade for over a year, she is very dear to me!” Breeze snapped. “The Enclave and their lies,” she dropped her tone and spoke softly, looking at Penumbra. “What have they done to you?”

“Winter, er, General, it’s good to see ye… I have so much t’explain! But General? So ye made it, yer at the top eh?” Penny chuckled nervously.

“Da I did, and with it, I don’t care what the Enclave said to you, you’re part of us.” Breeze patted Penny’s shoulder. “Dobro pozhalovat’ comrade.” She affirmed.

What? I thought.

“What?” Falcon deadpanned.

Breeze let out a huge sigh and about faced to Falcon once more.

“I said ‘welcome back’, why does it matter? She’s under my command and has been returned to her rank of Lieutenant Colonel. More importantly, returned to her family.” Breeze spat. I could tell there was some uneasy tension between these two.

“Right, well that means she’s under my command as well then, and as such, I order everypony except Captain Dusk and Lieutenant Ballpoint, and the blue freak out of my tower immediately.” Falcon barked.

“Blue what?” I glared at Falcon Angrily.

“You heard me, now everypony out.” Falcon roared.

Scarlet gave me an uneasy nudge and her eyes pleaded with mine. I nodded, which she returned and followed Penny, and the handful of shocked ponies that were working in the tower to the elevator doors. When the elevator doors closed, all that remained in the eerily quiet tower were me Silver, Ballpoint, Falcon, and Breeze.

“Sir, I can explain, we br-” Silver quickly spoke up. But was cut off by Falcon lifting up his claw to silence him.

“I understand you were following orders Captain, but I was clear on only asking for Distant Horizons.” He spoke more softly this time.

“But sir, what about Renaissance?” Silver asked.

“What about it? Your settlement is like any of the others that were hit that night. This is a coordinated strike and we can’t afford to spread any thinner with assistance.” He explained.

“Then… Then why’d ye order us to report here concerning the attack sir?” Ballpoint asked.

“That was a cover for my actual mission, soldier. I’ve called you two here because I have a target, and you are my gun. My very stealthy and precise gun.” He paused, glancing to Breeze. “With the new ponypower that General Breeze and her crew have provided, it’s come to the decision to attack the threat head on and end this before Transylvania becomes the next battleground after the Great War.” Falcon explained with confidence.

“Which.” Breeze cut in.. “I disagree with.” She turned to the other General. Falcon, we need to focus on rebuilding and helping the settlements reconstruct, not risking any more lives. From the looks of it, the Black Daylight aren’t after the innocent ponies. They’ve steamrolled halfway through Transylvania already and haven’t looked back!” She pleaded.

“But they’ve been claiming to commit Genocide, they have to be stopped before that happens. That’s why I have these two here, if they succeed, then we can lop the head off of their organization and overpower their forces quickly.” Falcon retorted.

“But when in history has that ever worked? A leader will be replaced by a subordinate and the cycle will continue. Despite what they’ve said about genocide, they’re not after us, they’ve made that clear with their actions, why provoke them? I believe their claims are just a bluff to terrorize the settlements and convince ponies to get out of their way.” She countered with intensity.

Our heads went back and forth between the two, and I couldn’t help but wonder why they needed me specifically? I mean, sure I liked the attention, but what could I do?

Enough!” Falcon hollard, causing Breeze to start with surprise. “My soldiers, my orders, are we clear? Or are you going to back on our agreement? I can open the gates, and evict all of your ponies in seconds!” Falcon threatened.

Breeze stomped her hoof in frustration and looked away, she was trapped. And I really was starting to dislike this Falcon fella. General Falcon turned to Silver and Ballpoint.

“Your target is located in the Narrows, his last known position was on the northern roads headed to the ruins. Because of the sheer distance, you’ll be taking a Vertibuck to provide insertion and extraction, as well as heavy air support in the event of retaliation. Yellow Five’s pilot has been ordered to go under your command, and she will provide you with the details. Any questions gentlecolts?” Falcon asked.

“Aye, who is the target?” Ballpoint asked.

“His name is Western Sun, ironic name given the fact he’s the leader of the Black Daylight. Supposedly he’s regarded as a priest, and is considered non-combative. This organization is largely run by ideology and their ranks are formed by a hierarchy of religious values. With the removal of Western, the whole organization will be in turmoil allowing for a rapid strike by the Hail Storm.” Falcon clarified.

Breeze sighed and spoke up quickly, “Comrades, this is a day mission, and I advise you to carry it out with extreme caution. The Black Daylight are at their most awake, aware and prepared during the day, considering none of them are like you and I.” If she couldn’t beat it, she may as well assist.

Falcon grunted in approval and nodded to the two to my left. “Anything else?”

"Yes sir, one more if I may.” Silver glanced over to me. “What of Midnight? And the rest of the ponies who came here with us?” He asked, I could tell he was taking an edge to his voice, he probably wasn’t too fond of Falcon either.

“I wish to speak to Midnight alone after all of this, as for the other’s, do whatever you must to ensure the mission is successful.” Falcon shrugged.

“I’m going to retract Lieutenant Colonel Penumbra from under you command Captain, there are things I wish to speak with her about, I apologize.” Breeze cut in, glaring at Falcon.

“Wasn’t planning on it.” he shrugged once more.

“That’s certainly okay ma’am. I was planning to omit her from this dangerous mission anyway.” Silver nodded. Not without a nudge and grin from Ballpoint.

“Affirmative, you’re both dismissed.” Falcon raised his talons and saluted, followed by both Ballpoint and Silver. Falcon then turned to Breeze with an angry look.

“Leave, I want to talk to this one alone.” He commanded.

“I wouldn’t want to look at your disfigured face any longer anyway.” Breeze snorted and followed the stallions to the elevator with a flick of her white tail.

With the tower even more empty and quiet than before, General Falcon turned around and paced his way towards the windows, where he stood staring into the night sky.The only sounds being the slight rush of wind hitting the tower windows.

“I know who you are Midnight.” He spoke with deadly calm.

“Y- you do?” I sputtered.

I don’t trust him. Ignis spoke in my mind.

I looked around frantically, the world had frozen once more, the air chilly and blue in hue. My body now in the possession of a wolf’s form. I spotted Ignis standing to my left, snarling at General Falcon. He was translucent and wispy, meaning he was currently Spirit Walking into the mortal world.

Look at him Midnight. Ignis growled.

I snapped my head to Falcon, and I yelped in surprise. He was looking right at me, he wasn’t frozen like the rest of us. His body was now encompassed in swirling mist, however he clearly couldn’t move from his spot, only glare.

You’re learning, good. Though with the evil radiating from him, I wouldn’t have been surprised if you could not see his soul anyway. Ignis continued. What you’re seeing, is the soul of a mortal, because of his awareness of you, his soul will continue to watch you in immobile silence. he explained.

“His awareness?” I asked.

He knows of your physical presence near him. In the event you were to sneak behind a mortal, their soul will not detect yours. Because of his awareness, his soul will protect his physical self from any dangers that may lurk in the spiritual world. However if a mortal were not looking at you, you, or any other danger within the spirit world, possess the power to terminate his or her life force immediately without effort. This is one of the gifts granted upon you as a Guardian. Ingus quickly informed me.

“That’s good to know, yanno, if I ever want to murder some random pony.” I deadpanned.

Do not make a joke of this Midnight. I am making you aware of a very important ability you possess. You will need to use it sooner than you imagine. As for what I was saying originally. Don’t trust this soul. It’s tainted with deception and lies. Ignis warned.

“Okay, thanks for the heads up. How can you tell?” I asked glaring at Falcon. I noticed I really wasn't getting as tired as quickly compared to the last time I Spirit Walked.

I simply can student, I will show you soon. Very soon. In fact, I am growing tired holding my side of the spell. The next time you can, join me in Lupus where we can talk without struggle.

“What? I can do that? How?” I eagerly asked.

Will yourself to enter the spirit world, and search nearby for my marker, I will always be parallel to you, so my soul will be nearby. I must go now, but remember what I said Midnight. It’s imperative to remain cautious and aware of those you meet. Ignis nodded and disappeared in a whisp of smoke once more.

Will myself huh? It’s that easy? I thought to myself.

“You’re that pegasus bat hybrid that stumbled out of the Stable right before all of this happened.” Falcon continued taking me off guard and making me flinch.

“Eh- uh yeah, yeah I came out of Stable 17. What does that have to do with the attacks?” I shook my head to get on task.

“Exactly what I’m asking.” Falcon faced me with a glare. “Don’t think I’m dumb, or uncultured just because I’m a Gryphon. I know of your tales, and prophecies and all that junk.” He warned.

Ohhh so he’s a Gryphon. I thought, as if that clarified anything, like hell if I knew what a Gryphon was.

“So what? If you’ve heard of this, why call me here alone?” I asked cautiously.

“I know you’re close to your red headed friend, supposedly following the steps that the tale describes. I’m just here to warn you.” Falcon leapt forwards and pushed me against the glass.

I winced as my face was smashed onto the window, my breath quickly began condensing on the freezing surface.

“I’ve got my eye on you, and I will be quick to silence any cry for mercy you give out if you so much as step one little hoof against my taskforce, or my mission. Am I abso-fucking-lutely clear, pegabat?” He roared.

I gulped and nodded quickly, thankfully he relieved the pressure and I backpedaled away from him as quickly as I could.

“Get out of my sight.” He warned, and turned around again, facing the windows.

A thought came to mind and while he was turned around, I closed my eyes and imagined I was a wolf once more. I felt my fur tingle with chilly rushing air and opened my eyes once more, I saw my blue paws and fur on the blue tinted ground. It worked! I was Spirit Walking once more!

I focused my gaze on Falcon and quickly took a timid step back. His soul was glaring at me, his eyes like ice as they cut into me. So he was still looking at me, I wasn’t planning on doing anything, but the sheer intimidation of his soul scared me. A lot. I quickly turned around and headed to the elevator.Mashing to button with my paw and entering the opening the door.

Except instead of an elevator, a wall of blue fire greeted my eyes, and I yelped and jumped back totally taken by surprise.

Oh shit, right, Ignis wanted to speak with me. I reminded myself. Well if time is paused while I’m here, then nopony will miss me while I go. I reasoned, and stepped slowly through the wall of flames.

The sound of autumn leaves rustling through the air overtook me and once more, the world faded to black.

***

“Welcome Midnight” Ignis spoke, this time to me directly.

I fluttered my eyes open and found myself laying on the same hill where Ignis and I last spoke. Though this time the world wasn’t tinted blue anymore, just foggy, dark and cold. As if that made it any better.

“Wha-? What happened to this place? You’re talking?” I asked as I slowly got up to a sitting position.

Ignis laughed merrily and smiled, “That I am, you entered Lupus on your own this time, and I didn’t have to direct you with a Spirit Walk spell. You can now stay here indefinitely if you wish without any strain from either of us, as well as I can now physically interact with you.” He explained with a smile.

Oh, well sweet! What’d you want to talk about?” I asked tilting my head.

“Ah yes, I have something prepared for you.” Ignis stood up and began trotting downhill, I quickly followed. ”You need to further your abilities in the event that you must protect the Scarlet Angel. I understand it is confusing, and why exactly I am helping you is unclear, but please bear with me and take heed of what I teach you.” Ignis spoke over his shoulder to me. “Things will become clearer in time. Sooner than I would hope for.” Ignis faced forward and spoke, seemingly to himself.

I followed his bushy white tail as we slowly trotted through the forest. Seemingly for hundreds of hooves we weaved through trees laced with fog. The only other movement being the wisps of breath sliding past our bodies as we trotted along. Eventually we came to a large circular clearing, with extremely dense dead trees all around us. In the center was a lone tree stump, which Ignis promptly jumped up onto and sat facing me.

“You need to recognize the dangers that lie within the Spirit Realm; what they may do to you, your companions, and especially your Scarlet. Normally, to a mortal, these beings do not bother, but with the power of Scarlet’s purpose, she radiates immense energy which draws beings of otherworldly existence. They will attempt to gain this power and will attack without warning.” Ignis explained.

“Scarlet’s what now?” I asked, does he always have to speak so cryptically?

Suddenly I felt myself grow taller and more… familiar. I looked down and saw I was back in my pony body. I twirled around and examined myself, still me. I looked to Ignis questioningly and he smiled.

“Your first step is to recognize the threats while in the mortal world. They are entirely different than in the spiritual world and require careful attention. For the sake of time, I will only present you wil the most common, as well as most dangerous beings. Once you spot them, I will transform you into your spirit and explain how to defeat them. Keep in mind these beings are exceptionally rare regardless, however it is best to be prepared. I’m most certain you will encounter them upon Spirit Walking however, as they will be drawn by your presence.” Ignis explained.

“Ready?” He asked.

“Let’s do it.” I nodded confidently. I figured I may as well try my best here, if anything, I put my trust in Ignis. I thought maybe everything would come together soon. I hoped.

“Very well, the first, most common and least dangerous of those I will show you is known as the Spectre it is commonly depicted in folklore as a ‘ghost’ by those who have caught glimpses of them passing through the mortal world. Their existence after the fall of the mortal world has become ever more common, and their sightings today are blamed on radiation and ‘anomalies’ as your kind has grown to call the rips between worlds.” Ignis tilted his head as he explained.

Suddenly the clearing turned into a dark alleyway, with destroyed buildings on either side of me. Ahead, I heard the crying of a mare, faint and echoing throughout the alley. Fear gripped my gut as I slowly began trotting towards the sound.

Do not be afraid, as a mortal, the Spectre is not capable of harming you physically, however, as I said earlier, for those unaware of their presence, they are capable of killing immediately. Normally they are not hostile towards mortals, but with Scarlet’s presence, they may seek harm if they see her soul. Ignis spoke in my mind.

I nodded and began a canter towards the sound, suddenly a transparent mare appeared before me. Her eyes hollow and saddened, the air turned bitter cold and I jumped back as I felt cold air rush through me as she passed through my body.

Now that you know what they look like in the mortal world, I will bring you back to the Lupus, and you will learn how to fight her as your Spirit. Ignis commanded.

The world flashed back to the clearing with the crackle of fire, Ignis was still sitting on the log. In front of me sat the same hollow mare, though this time her transparent body was more translucent and wispy, similar to how Ignis looked when Spirit Walking. Without warning, she let out a deafening wail and charged right at me at full gallop!

I cried out and dove to the side as she leapt where I just was, her hooves missing my tail by inches. Lupus let out a chuckle and I glared at him sitting on his log, easy for him to laugh about! He was all safe and sound up there!

“Don’t be afraid, a Spectre’s body is unbelievably unstable and weak, any spiritual damage will disperse her soul and remove her from all worlds.” He laughed.

“Really? It’s that easy? Well, what do I attack her with? I don’t have any weapons!” I yelled out as I quickly dodged another sloppy strike.

“Do not be foolish Midnight, do you forget who you are? You have teeth, you have courage, you have fury, use them to your advantage.” Lupus advised.

Teeth huh? Alright, I’ll give it a try. I told myself.

I turned around and quickly pushed off my powerful hind legs, leaping right at the Spectre with my mouth open wide in a razor sharp snarl. My teeth connected with her neck, and I felt my wicked fangs slice into the Spectre, it felt like ice, and tasted oddly minty.

Without warning the Spectre exploded in violent white light and disappeared. A white orb of light shot out and slammed into my chest, knocking the wind out of me and pushing me to the ground. I felt my limbs turn ice cold and I looked over towards Lupus with panic.

“Well done, your first kill as a Guardian. And as such, your first spell.” Lupus smiled dryly, as if he were reminiscing on something.

“F-f-first what?” I shivered, my body slowly began to warm up and I felt my fur was all fluffed up.

“One of the most important abilities of a Guardian is the ability to absorb the magic of those you kill. Every being within the spiritual realm has a powerful magic that you may harness to aid you in your journey, it will become more and more important as you progress. This is no different from how a unicorn may harness her magic calling upon nature, the spirits or the fundamentals of the physical world. Your soul being the soul of the Guardian wolf, you already possessed the Spirit Walk spell, which I’m sure you’ve discovered its capabilities of. But now, you’ve just absorbed the essence of the Spectre, and you now can use Transcendence for a brief time.” Lupus explained further.

A Brick wall appeared before me in a flash of smoke, maybe a few hooves wide, and reaching just over my head. I stood up and trotted around it, it looked to be about three hooves thick.

“Transcendence huh? What’s that do? And what’s with the wall?” I asked, curious.

“Transcendence allows you to possess the powers of the Spectre while Spirit Walking, you become ethereal and may pass through what you desire. Though take great caution, this is absolutely exhausting, and will force you out of Spirit Walk immediately when you are done. If your body grows too weak while still within an object, you will reform within the object and suffocate.” Lupus’ tone took a deadly seriousness.

I gulped and nodded, no attempting to pass through mountains on my list.

“Very well, look to the wall, and will yourself to pass through it. Because you are in Lupus, you will have unlimited energy and will not tire from this exercise.” Ignis advised.

Easy. I smirked and approached the wall.

I imagined myself going through it, that simple right? I took a step forward and... confidently smashed my nose into the wall. I winced and backpedaled, holding my nose with a paw.

Ow! Okay, maybe not that easy! I cried out in my head.

I heard lupus chuckle and I shot him an angry glare. I looked at the wall again angrily. I sighed and closed my eyes.
Okay, there’s obviously a trick to it. Dammit, how do unicorns figure out stuff like this? Logic? Nah, logically I should imagine passing through it, but that isn’t physically possible. I thought to myself. Then it suddenly hit me.

Physically possible… The only physically possible thing that could happen, is me being on this side, and the other side, but not between… so if I… I trailed off in my mind and focused on the wall.

I imagined myself being on the opposite side feeling my body apart from where it currently was. I opened my eyes and slowly placed a paw forward. To my surprise it passed right through the wall, I couldn’t even feel a thing!

I cried out in joy and lept through to the other side, just like I imaged, then lept back. I repeated the action a few times showing off my new abilities! I looked to Ignis and was met with a proud smile.

“Good job Midnight! You’ve figured it out, you have to imagine yourself apart from yourself correct?” He smiled knowingly.

“Buck yeah! Can you see this?!” I cried out and leapt full force right into the wall again, smashing my muzzle once more.

I fell onto my back holding my nose with both paws, spirit or not, that stupid wall bucking hurt!

“Ah, and there you let go of your concentration, do not be so sure of yourself Midnight.” Lupus chuckled once more. “Regardless, you’ve successfully learned how to use the Transcendence spell, I think it is wise you attempt to use it in a situation where it would be advantageous. I wish to teach you about more powerful spirits, but this will require further preparation. I will request your audience at a later time. For now, I believe your friends are missing you right now, correct?” Ignis asked. For an omnipresent being, you’d think he would know certain things.

“Nah, if I’m here, then that means time stopped, so they won’t even know I’m gone!” I dismissed him with a wave of my hoo- paw…

“Midnight. You are aware that you’re not currently Spirit Walking correct?” Ignis asked concernedly.

“Well… Uh, yeah? Wait, but doesn’t time stop when I’m here?” I asked, worry starting to grow in my chest.

Ignis let out a sigh and shook his head. “No, Midnight you fail to grasp the concept. Time never stops between worlds. When you Spirit Walk, your senses are accelerated near infinitely, but not quite to the point where time will stop, just really close to it. However, when you entered Lupus on your own, you’re physically here. Your mortal body remained where it was, just sandwiched somewhere between Lupus and the mortal world. You’ve effectively “disappeared”. However, time has been running at it’s natural pace.” Ignis trailed off. “You never told your companions you were coming here, did you?” Ignis sighed and rubbed a paw on his forehead.

“Well shit! They must be worried! For all they know, I’ve been stuck with General Falcon for… how long has it been? Thirty minutes? I need to get back!” I panicked and looked around me, looking for an exit.

“Calm down Midnight, to return, simply do what you did to enter. Cast Spirit Walk and search for the location you entered. Which would be at the crest of that hill.” Ignis calmly spoke, motioning towards the hill we came from with his head.

“Will do! Thanks Ignis! I’ll come back when you’re ready to show me more!” I took of galloping towards the hill, crying over my shoulder.

“We never change.” I faintly heard Ignis chuckle to himself as I rose onto the crest of the hill.

I ignored what he said for now, and willed myself into Spirit Walk, I felt the cold grow colder and Lupus took on the familiar blue hue. A blazing fire roared to life just before me, and I quickly dove through it. Engulfing me in icy flames.

The world around me blinked to black, and once more the rushing of autumn leaves replaced all sound.

<><><>

“I don’t bloody give a flying buck you dumb bloke!” I hollard at the guard standing in front of the elevator. Rather, this chump was standing between me and finding out where the hay Midnight has been this whole time.

It had been almost forty-five minutes since that Falcon arsehole forced us all to leave. I was uneasy leaving the three stallions alone with him, but when Ballpoint and Silver returned without Middy, I started to feel a lot worse about it all. Now, with this amount of time passing, it’s come to the point where I’ve been arguing with the guard to let me back up.

“Ma’am General Falcon was insistent on not being disturbed.” The guard sternly spoke for seemingly the hundredth time.

Since coming out of the elevator, General Breeze offered to wait for the rest. She and Penny were quietly catching up with all that they had missed of each other over the years. Supposedly they had joined the Enclave military together, and Winter Breeze had been exceptional and ranking up.

Silver opted to wait as well, and at the time, he was giving me a very disapproving look. But for all he was, I could tell he was just as displeased with Falcon as I was, and he didn’t make any effort to stop me from trying to convince the guard to let me up. Ballpoint, on the other hoof, went straight out to the flightline. No doubt trying to swoon Momo.

I sighed and sat down on my flanks. This was useless, the soddy nut wasn’t going to crack. I’d just have to wait for Falcon to release Midnight from his company.

Just as I sat, suddenly a wall of blue fire erupted from the elevator doors and I heard a familiar voice cry out.

“Ahhhh!” Midnight hollard as he lept full force into the armoured guard. They both toppled over onto the floor, the hardened composite barding that the guard wore made him slide a good ten hooves across the hard floor..

“Middy!” I jumped up, concern dripping in my voice.

What’d you bloody do this time?! I mentally screamed.

“Hey!” The guard yelled, standing up and quickly drawing his sidearm; an IS Four-Five pistol.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa buddy! Calm down, I didn’t mean to do that!” Midnight got up as well and slowly began back peddling.

“Holset your weapon Sergeant, he’s with us.” SIlver’s confident ‘commander’ voice rang out. Cutting the thick tension like a knife.

“Yes sir.” The guard nodded and placed his pistol back into his leg holster, not without giving Midnight a second look.

I quickly trotted up to Midnight and slapped him on the back of the head.

“Ow! Scar, is that how you greet me?” He winced and looked at me with fear.

“Bloody right it is! FIrst you disappear for the best bloody part of an hour, and now you leap out of flames like a looney carnival act?” I sighed. “What the hay were you doing for so long?” I interrogated further.

“Look it’s a long story… I’ll explain it to everypony at once, for now, what’s the situation?” Midnight sighed and began to trot towards Silver. I followed close behind, opting to drop it for now.

Silver nodded and cleared his throat. “I informed Scarlet of our mission, I want you two to come with. You’ve both proven you’re useful in a firefight and can listen to orders. Besides, I couldn’t ask for a better team. I like you guys, hay, I might even call you friends.” He smiled awkwardly. Luna above, this stallion treats social situations like tactics for a battlefield.

General Breeze and Penny trotted over to us, Breeze nodded and quickly spoke up.

“I’m sorry I have to take a comrade from you Captain, but there are things Penny wants to attend to in the Hail Storm. I’m sure you can all be reunited with her upon your return?” Breeze offered.

“Aye, I’m sorry mates, this has been so much for me, I want to get meself back on me hooves.” Penny added quietly.

“Hey it’s all good, we’ll see you before you know it!” Midnight reassured her.’’

“Thanks Midnight, you’re a real gentlecolt you know?” Penny smiled too warmly to my coltfriend.

There it goes again, jealousy. Yeah, it’s black and white that Penny has some feelings for Middy, thankfully the thick headed bloke won’t ever see it. I knew I shouldn’t have felt that way, especially considering he and I were already a couple, but she’s another mare hitting on my stallion for crying out loud!

“Let’s head to the flightline and try to prevent Ballpoint from producing any offspring while we weren’t looking. Then we’ll head up to the Hail Storm’s hangar and meet up with the rest of Yellow 5. Supposedly the Vertibuck has just completed its maintenance.” Silver paused and looked to Penny. “We’ll be back soon, stay safe okay?” He added quickly. Penny nodded in reassurance.

Yeah there’s that too. Mares and Stallions, we have ourselves a love triangle. I rolled my eyes and nudged Midnight towards the door to the flight line, followed by Silver.

“Goodbye everypony!” Penny called out behind us.

“Bye Penny!” Midnight called out happily, and I nudged him a bit harder grunting in frustration.

We pushed our way out the door and were greeted with the blast of frigid autumn night air. The world suddenly enveloped in deep red and I shook my head to get my mane out of my eyes. Even from here we could see the grey and white ponies casually flirting, thankfully none of what Silver warned was taking place, unless it already had. Would they really have done that on the asphalt? Knowing Ballpoint, maybe.

I looked over to Midnight on my left as we trotted towards the two. I was greeted with a warm nuzzle on my cheek and I smiled happily. Penny or not, this was my buck and I was more than content being with him. I trotted a little closer to him until we were shoulder to shoulder and I leaned my head onto his neck.
“I’d really like that…” Momo spoke gently. “Yanno, there’s this place on the mid deck where nopony goes, maybe we could… play cards! Oh yeah! I love blackjack, do ya know how to play blackjack? I can show ya!” Momo quickly changed subjects as we approached the two, she had her back to us and only just noticed us when it was too late.

“Ahh look the lovercolt is here!” Ballpoint peeked his head around Momo and teased.

“Wh-what?! No fair, I was finally about to make fun of you back for once!” Silver hollard and sat down on his flanks, defeated.

“There there, you’ll get your chance one day.” I giggled at the two and patted Silver on the back.

Momo was a fantastic shade of pink by this point and nodded to us.

“Right, so I guess you’re ready to head up to the Hail Storm?” She nervously asked. waving her hoof in the air..

“That’s right, Scarlet and I are joining up with you guys on the mission.” Midnight nodded, looking up at the Hail Storm in excitement.

“Alright,” Momo sighed, shaking off her embarrassment. “ I’ll brief everypony when we’re in the hangar.” She explained, spreading her wings. “Ready?” She tilted her head.

We all nodded and took off with her. We flapped up in a lazy climb towards one of the bottom decks of the Hail Storm. As we got closer and closer, I started to really get a feel for how enormous the Thunderhead class battlecruisers were. Momo took a turn towards a rounded rectangular slot on the lowermost part of the ship. We flew into the humongous opening and followed Momo to “Reaper 5”.

Inside the hangar, an impressive display of aircraft greeted us on either side. Two rows of maybe twenty vertibucks lined up facing each other, painted lines of their squadron colors encompassed each one. Maintenance crew in military fatigues hurriedly bustled about the hangar, welding and grinding new parts. Overhead, dozens of bright yellow lights illuminated the dark steel floor.

“Alright everypony here she is, ready to go when we are. Since I’ve been assigned to you all, it’s just me from Yellow 5. Apparently this mission was too secretive to include my squad. We’re going to have these two guys escort us, but since it’s so far away, they’ll have to turn around about halfway there.” Momo rolled her eyes and spoke over the sound of the busy hangar.

Next to “Reaper 5” were two Rafael airponies. Both huge Stallions had their modified light black barding, as well as twin IS3 .50cal machine guns mounted on battle saddles. They both wore visored combat helmets and it was hard to tell their expressions.

“Scarlet, you can follow me and I’ll try and find some gear you can take, maybe some light barding?” One of the stallions spoke up and motioned to a supply crate nearby. How he knew my name, I couldn’t tell you.

“Alright mate, lead the way.” I quietly said and followed his brown tail.

Inside the supply crate various sizes of Transylvanian multicam fatigues greeted my eyes. I wrinkled my nose and opted not to take those, they weren’t too good looking. What? I’m still a lady after all, I want to look at least half decent.

I scanned my eyes onto another nearby crate and found some winter coats, probably left over from the civilians who were aboard the Hail Storm not long ago. A cute looking maroon coat with a brown fur collar met my eyes, it wasn’t in too bad of a condition, considering the nuclear apocalypse.

I smiled and unslung my IS4 and saddlebags off my back and flank. I put the coat on and turned around looking at myself, it went about halfway down my back, stopping just before my flanks. It fit alright, maybe a little loose around my chest, but it would keep me warm in the coming winter.

I turned around and flashed a smile to Midnight who was watching me from afar. He smiled and nodded. A devilish thought came across my mind and I turned around facing away from him and wiggled my flank and let my tail loosely wave side to side. I shot him a wink over my shoulder and blew him a kiss with my hoof.

Midnight quickly blushed hotly and looked away, stealing glances at my sexy display. I giggled and continued rummaging through the crate. An awkward cough made my ears perk up and I looked up to the Rafael soldier who guided me here. He was also blushing slightly, and barely motioned with a hoof behind me.

I quickly turned around, and now it was my turn to blush. About ten stallions and a mare stopped what they were doing and were staring at me with wide eyes. Welding helmets perched up, and power tools still running.

Well Luna hang me up and torch me alive… I swore in my head and quickly turned around facing the supply crates once more. I took careful attention to make sure my tail was covering everything this time.

I grabbed a few extra full magazines for my carbine and placed them in my saddlebags. A health potion here, some bandages and a few chocolate candy bars. I hadn’t eaten anything since leaving Renaissance!

I placed my saddlebags back over my flanks and slung my IS4 over my back. I doubted the winter coat would offer much protection from bullets, but at least it was better than walking around in a bloody firefight with nothing but my saddlebags.

“Alright mate, let’s get moving.” I told the Rafael soldier and we quickly cantered back to the group.

I sat down next to Midnight and leaned against his side, too embarrassed to look anypony in the eye.

“Well, well Sca-” Ballpoint teased, but was caught by my glare.

“Well what mate?” I spat and flicked my mane, nothing happened out or the ordinary.

Ballpoint nodded and looked at Momo, waiting for whatever was next.

“Alright everypony, here’s the sitrep from scouts that returned from the Narrows.” Momo cleared her throat and pulled out a map from one of her pockets in her flightsuit with her mouth and placed it on the floor. “There’s anti aircraft artillery set up here, here and here.” She pointed to red dots with a hoof.

“They actually have anti aircraft battery emplacements? That’s a little bloody over the top, where’d you think they got the hardware?” Silver spoke up.

“Don’t ask me bud, all I know is how to get there and back without getting shot down.” Momo shrugged.

“Eh, I’m not to surprised myself, they know they’re dealing with ponies who can fly, why wouldn’t they set up some triple ‘A’?” Ballpoint piped in. Couldn’t argue with that logic.

“Right, so we’re going to get some escort up until this point, after that, we’re going to have to fly low and fast between their bubbles of coverage. Hopefully we won't be spotted the whole trip.” Momo pointed to large red circles surrounding the dots, supposedly that’s the range of their cannons. “Here’s the Insertion and extraction point, we don’t know where the target is located, it’s gonna have to be made up on the spot to find him and take him out. I’ll fly overhead with my radio ready to provide support if things turn south.” She poked to a blue dot on the map, just outside the town.

“Say, why do they call it the Narrows?” I asked, it didn’t look like a canyon or anything, just a regular town like Renaissance.

“That,” Silver looked at me. “Is because the building plan of that town is incredibly close together. It’s more or less a series of tight alleyways between businesses and houses. The whole town was destroyed by a firestorm after it was abandoned, and all that’s left are charred out husks of buildings.” Silver explained.

“Aye, and because of it, ponies say it’s haunted! Ghosts roam the alleys, preying on those who aren’t careful and ran out of sight from their mums!” Ballpoint chimed in, waving his hooves spookily.

I felt Midnight tense up at my side, and I had to agree with him, haunted sounds scary! I mean, would ghosts exist? Maybe some kind of weird radiation monster? Or worse?!

“Oh can it mate, that’s not true.” Silver reassured us. Even Momo was looking worried.

Ballpoint laughed and shook his head, “Aye, if that’s what ye say Captain.” he wiped a tear from his eye.

“Right… Well that about covers it, Captain, you’ll find a radio inside the vertibuck that you can take. Other than that, are you guys ready to go?” Momo, shook her head, and placed her map back into her flight suit.

“Aye, let’s roll.” Ballpoint confidently smirked and jumped up into the crew compartment, taking a seat on the left side, where a wide bench spanned the width of the Vertibuck’s compartment.

We all followed suit and Captain Dusk took a seat opposite from us, near the door. Momo climbed aboard, and made her way between the small gap opposite us, where a short hallway separated the bench Silver was on. She strapped herself into the harness and began flipping switches.

Quickly the left engine began spooling up, roaring to life and a blast of hot air shot out the exhaust port. Soon the rotary blade began slowly spinning when the jet engine was up to speed, and then accelerated to full rotations. The second engine followed suit, and the deafening sound of chopping air filled the hangar. I instinctively weaved my left foreleg around Midnight’s next to me as we lurched into the air.

I saw the two armored stallions outside take flight and follow close behind us. I could see down the opening in front of me and out the cockpit glass. A mare with orange safety glasses was in front of us waving a glowing yellow stick, probably guiding Momo to the entrance of the hangar.

We slowly hovered to the entrance, and with one last check of her instruments, Momo looked back at us with a grin. Suddenly, she punched the throttle full forward and I felt my stomach lurch as we rocketed out of the hangar at probably over seventy miles per hour.

I would have thought flying in a vertibuck wouldn’t have caused that sensation, but I guess being in something I’m not in control of was a whole different story!

“Alright fillies and gentlecolts, we’re about three hours to insertion, we’re literally going to the opposite side of Transylvania for this one.” Momo’s voice crackled from the overhead speakers.

“That’s good, we can get our much needed rest before this. Hey Midnight, didn’t you say you were going to explain what happened up at the control tower?” Silver asked.

“Oh shit, yeah, alright guys get comfy, this is gonna be just as weird as the last one I told you.” Middy chuckled.

I perked my ears up and realized I still had my chocolate bars! Perfect for stories! I reached into my saddlebags and pulled out four of them. I happily hoofed them out to everypony, as midnight began to recite his story.

As he was explaining further into what Ignis was trying to do, and something about protecting me, I noticed the moon was setting, and I felt my eyes begin to droop. Maybe a little nap wouldn’t hurt, besides I’d wanna be in top condition for the mission right?

I snuggled up against Middy’s shoulder and let myself drift into a light sleep, thinking of chocolate and blue fur.

XXX

New Companion added! - Moon Glider (Momo).

Level up!

Midnight Wind:
Perks: Transcendence: This fancy unicorn spell thing lets you go though shit! Sweet!

Scarlet Rose:
Perks: New... clothes....: Yay, you have new jacket, um, good for you Scarlet.

Author's Note:

It's out! Woohoo! Thanks for your patience er'pony. With finals coming up, and me stressing my butt off about remaining in the Air Force, I didn't have too much time. I've basically been writing between studying. But, chapter 9 is in the making! Hopefully this wont take a freakin' month to write! Cross your fingers! *we have hooves, what are fingers?* Oh shut your bloody trapper, you get what I mean!