• Published 29th Jul 2014
  • 1,642 Views, 65 Comments

Fallout Equestria: Tales of Transylvania. - MeetSouder



Midnight Wind and Scarlet Rose find themselves in a new world when the inhabitants of Stable 17, forced them to leave. Now in their native land of Thestra "batponies", they begin their journey uncovering the secrets that make up Transylvania

  • ...
17
 65
 1,642

Capter Four: A Renaissance Fair

Chapter Four: A Renaissance Fair.

<><><>

I woke up to the feeling of soft puffs of warm air tickling the furry tips of my ears, flicking them back to shake the feeling, I slowly opened my eyes, only to have them shut quickly again as I let out an enormous yawn.

When I finally did open my eyes, I was greeted by a giant fuzzy blue wall inches from my face. The wall heaved up and released down as each warm puff of air curled around my ears from above. Soft snoring, almost humming, complimented the puffs as I felt the vibrations connect between my chest and the dark blue mass before me. I looked down and saw I was pressed firmly against it, with a fleece blanket obscuring my vision from the rest of my body. I felt my lower legs were wrapped around the blueness just as much as my upper legs were as well.

When my consciousness finally caught up to my eyes, I realized I was cuddling up next to Midnight, my four legged hug far more intimate than I previously realized, I quickly blushed hotly. But, he wasn’t awake yet, so no way in tartarus was I going to simply let go. The feeling of his warm and fuzzy body cuddled next to my own was enough to make me want to whimper in comfort as I gently rested my head back down and waited for him to awaken.

Somehow during the night, we abandoned our dirty and ripped MSFC uniforms, them being crumpled up heaps on the ground. And no, not because of any reason else besides the fact they were bloody uncomfortable. Midnight’s uniform was a heap near the couch indicating he took it off before he went to sleep this morning. My own uniform, minus the bow still in my mane, was at the foot of the bed we shared, I probably kicked it off in my sleep.

I heard Midnight’s breathing accelerate as he awoke naturally from the twilight of the setting sun seeping in through the thin curtain. I suddenly felt myself being squeezed into Midnight’s body as if he were trying to get me to morph into him, and I let out a surprised squeak in response. He quickly let off the pressure when he began to yawn, baring his teeth and two fangs.

Blimey, those things are at least twice as big as my own. I thought to myself jealously. What? I couldn’t really see much else since his teeth were about eye level with me and not but 3 bloody inches from my muzzle.

Midnight then unexpectedly snapped his jaw shut, causing me to flinch back to avoid getting caught by his natural weapons. With his mouth now closed, his face leveled out with mine, our golden eyes meeting each other, our muzzles mere centimeters apart. I felt my features begin to burn up again as I stared into his handsome eyes, glad I wasn’t alone as I saw him quickly blush furiously as well, his senses probably all began reporting input from the copious amounts contact we were making with each other.

Breaking the awkward tension, I leaned my head forward and gently nuzzled my cheek against his, backing up and flashing a smile

“Good morning Middy.” I greeted softly.

Shite, this stuff better work in the longrun, otherwise I’m gonna have a lot of trouble getting this buck to recognize my approaches. I mentally panicked.

“Good uh… m- wow.” Midnight replied somehow blushing brighter under his dark coat. A stallion with words as smooth as sandpaper, that one.

At least he’s trying. I sighed to myself.

I leaned my head back down against his chest, relishing in his comforting embrace for a few moments more, sighing contentedly. I began to think of what we needed to do now, guessing our primary objective would really be trying to fix that fractured wing of his.

Since we really didn’t know much of the town, besides the pub and the beginning of the main road, we really needed to get on our hooves and figure out where some kind of medical station was located. But I really, really didn’t want to leave this bed yet.

“Hey Scar, we need to get on our hooves and figure out this town. My wing’s been giving me a constant dull ache that I doubt is healthy.” Midnight voiced the very thing I did not want to hear.

Letting out a small whine I looked back up to his eyes, pleading with my own not to have to move.

“Scar don’t give me that look, it makes me want to gut a teddy bear it’s too cute... Stop!” Midnight squeezed his eyes shut as he grudgingly began to untangle himself from me. Odd analogy, but I guessed my puppy eyes were effective, I duly noted to remember to use my skill again when I wanted something from him.

With our bodies finally untangled, Midnight rolled off the bed to his hooves, carefully avoiding his wing as he did so. I sighed and quickly followed suit, the chilly air only colder now that night was beginning to fall, not to mention I didn’t have any clothing on, or any warm Midnight on either. I considered putting on my MSFC uniform simply for warmth providing purposes, but shifted my thoughts otherwise, considering how filthy it was.

I’ll take it with and find somewhere to get it cleaned I reasoned with myself.

I picked up the uniform with my teeth slowly realizing my predicament, we had no supplies whatsoever. Not even saddlebags to carry things with us, I looked over to Midnight as he slipped on his uniform, straightening his tie as he turned to look at me.

That tie really makes him look handsome... I thought to myself dreamily.

Realizing I was staring, I rapidly turned my head over my shoulder and flopped the MSFC uniform across my back, too filthy to wear, but at least it will keep my back and flank warm for now.

“I guess I’ll leave the keys in here, and just leave the door unlocked. I really can’t think of a way to carry them… Besides we don’t have anything we could have stolen.” Midnight reasoned, looking at the keychain that was sitting on the right arm of the couch, boasting a single two-pin styled key.

“Right, shall we?” I asked gesturing towards the door.

Midnight nodded as we trotted out, closing the unlocked door behind us and we made our way down the hallway I recalled hearing us enter from the night before. We quickly approached the balcony, and descended the stairs. Stopping and taking a look around as we reached the bottom. We were now facing the wall that contained the windows and the front entrance. The staircase having made a backwards “L” shape on our descent.

“Huh, this place is deserted, I guess nopony wants to drink this early in the night eh?” I asked over my shoulder smirking at the change in environment.

“Yeah, it’ll liven up in the later hours. For now, let’s head into town and find the Renaissance Rose headquarters Aurora told me about, he said he could give us caps and supplies if we accepted some of the jobs they offered. And we could probably get some info on where a medical building is located.” Midnight replied then added as he gently shuffled his right wing.

Barely recalling the conversation Aurora and Midnight shared, as I was half asleep at the time, I nodded and quickly checked my Pipbuck for the time, the amber backlit screen flared to life as I raised my hoof.

9:23PM

Eh the sun’s just set, we have all night to figure things out.

“Alrighty mate, lead the way, I have no idea where it’s located.” I replied honestly.

Nodding Midnight made for the door with me in tow, “He said it’s on the northern side of the town. Since the moon is rising to our right, where the entrance to the town is, we’ll have to go left to the centre of town, then hang a right and follow one of those spider webbing roads to it.”

“Let’s try to not get distracted on our way there okay?” he added over his left shoulder to me as we stepped into the chilly night air, the Hearths Warming lights now glowing dimly once again, and the many ponies’ shops just recently opened for the night.

I shivered as I felt the noticeable temperature drop, I could only assume the season was autumn to cause our breaths to be visible like this at night, yet still not cold enough to freeze water.We stepped down from the small porch that the main entrance was situated on, and began to trot down the dirt road hanging a left in the mostly empty streets.

I looked around me to both sides as we passed shops inlayed in the Renaissance themed houses, some merchants selling a variety of utterly useless junk. I couldn’t imagine why anypony would need a rusted gas tank with holes in it, but then again there were some pretty daft ponies out there in the wasteland. At least according to Aurora.

We passed at least six shops, three on either side, as we neared the town centre; a broken and cracked fountain with a the statute in the centre pedestal, depicting a proud looking Transylvanian stallion, wearing a suit of armour and a long sword in his mouth. As we partially circled it on our turn to the right of the circular square, I saw ponies sitting eating their breakfast or conversing with each other near the fountain.

On the outside of the square, there were four corner shops between the roads, each with the walls bending to match the arc of the square. I looked to the kiosk laid within the corner house to my right, and it immediately captured my attention. I quickly rushed over to the large opening in the wall, extending half way down from the ceiling stopping and forming a counter, which I promptly placed my hooves on and propped myself up to get a better view of the wares.

Before me sat a young Transylvanian buck, with a brown coat and warm yellow mane.

“Ello’ and welcome to Honey Bee’s firearms emporium! How can I help out a pretty lit-le mare like yeself?” The stallion at in the store happily greeted, who I could only guess was Honey Bee, in a charismatic voice. He took a leaning position to my right, up against his side of the counter.

I was too distracted to pay him heed as I stared wide-eyed at all of the beautiful arrays of semi-automatic pistols and rifles, scoped bolt action long guns, fully automatic submachine guns and carbines, shotguns even an spread of assault rifles! I basically orgasmed on the spot seeing so many fine, oiled and clean pieces laid before my eyes.

By this point midnight trotted over and sat next to me, equally as interested, though not nearly so in the beauty of their design.

“Scar I thought I said we weren’t supposed to get distracted…” Midnight poked my side, having lost interest in the guns already.

“Bwahawha? How could you not want to take a moment and appreciate these fine pieces of machinery!? These things look as if they came right out of the box mate!” I cried, looking to him in the eyes, our heads matching height from my slightly more vertical position. I was bloody baffled by Midnight’s apathetic approach to it all.

“That’s because they are lass! Collected from the milit’ry factory not far off up th’road and to the nort. Normally I wouldn’t be givin’ me secrets away like this, but after my last run in with the security of that place, I gave up me prospecting, figuring I’ll just sell off these last pieces and find a new place to scavenge.” Honey cut in, answering my question.

The sounds of twin beeps resonated around us as both my Pipbuck and Midnight’s updated a position on our maps, we simultaneously brought them up and scrolled to the “DATA” tab, pulling up the GPS.

Huh look at that, we have global maps on these things. Who would have guessed?

The location didn’t look that far off, so I made a mental note to bother Midnight into letting us explore around there once we got situated.

Turning back to Honey I smiled in gratitude

“Thanks for answering my question mate, I’ll make sure to swing by and take a better look at your wares when my friend and I have more time on our hooves. Cheers!” I said in farewell as Honey nodded and returned to the back of his shop.

Midnight was still mashing his nose against his pipbuck when I dropped down to all fours again, turning to face him.

“Hey Scar, did you know we have an EFS option on these pipbucks? The description says it’s a ‘neuro-synopsis translating spell, displaying a holographic UI in front of the user’s vision’. I looks like the default is option displays our vital signs, stamina and has a compass. That sounds kinda cool.” he said, looking up from his pipbuck.

“Eh, life ain’t one of those video games we had back at the Stable, Middy, I’m pretty sure our vital signs are more complex than a simple meter will be able to explain. Like, what if you get shot in the hoof? Sure the meter will go down a little, but when you get shot in the hoof say, four hundred times? It’s gonna bloody hurt and you’re probably going to get a hoof shot off, but you’re not gonna die from it. Quickly at least.” I ranted, honestly those EFS things are just a big gimmick.

“I guess you’re right about that one, besides I really don’t need something obstructing my vision just to tell me I’m tired, I’m pretty sure I’d be able to tell.” Midnight concurred.

“Well I’ve satisfied my gun gawking for now, back on course?” I asked, flashing a cheeky grin.

“Finally, alright lets go!” Midnight cried exasperatedly.

With us on our hooves again, we continued down the right of the town centre, and followed the main road towards the north. The road here was similar to that near the pub, being there were random shops with merchants trying to sell junk to the unsuspecting pony.

With the moon just barely clearing the horizon, I trotted closely behind Midnight as we pushed our way past the slowly growing crowd populating the streets. Before us at the end of the road stood the Renaissance Rose Night Watch headquarters.

* * *

It looked just like any other building in the town really, the only big defining differences were the addition of a watch tower off the second floor, and a large sign hanging overhead the door

Ye old Armoury

Yeah that’s pretty anti-climactic… I thought to myself as I looked up at the tower, the guard’s silhouette visible in the clear night air, his breath seen as a vapor as it slowly drifted away from the tower towards the east.

Soon Scarlet finally caught up and sat down beside me, panting heavily.

“Luna’s moon Midnight!” she swore, “Why did you take off galloping like that? We could see the bloody building, it wasn’t like the bugger was gonna stand up and walk away!” She finished, softly hitting me on the shoulder.

“Well I got excited when I saw it, this is our first chance to really make a living, and our first step to figuring out how we’re going to settle down.” I explained, smiling up to the building before me.

After seconds passed with no response, I looked back over to where Scarlet sat, slowly mouthing “Us settling down... together”.

Oh shit, that’s not what I meant! my eyes widening in realization.

“I mean, getting a hoofhold of our situation! Heh not, like actually ya’ know…” I trailed off, as I shifted my gaze to the ground, awkwardly pawing the dirt.

“Oh of course! Yeah we really need to get you to a medical centre, and get equipment, and oh look since we’re here let’s head on in? Sounds like an excellent idea to me. Lets go!” Scarlet blurted out as she stumbled to all fours and quickly trotted in through the swinging doors of the headquarters.

Not wanting to push the awkwardness any further than it had to be, I silently followed suit, passing through the door and into the building.

The interior was almost identical in layout to the pub, probably due to the fact the original construction workers who built the Renaissance festival really didn’t want to spend all that much time figuring out unique building plans.

Where the bar stood back at the pub, instead a long reception desk took its place her, with four terminals lined up, each with a pony behind it busily typing away.

The various tables that were in the pub were replaced by a locked fence-walled armoury in the back left corner of the main room at the base of the stairs, and a bunch of tables with maps and charts dominating the centre of the room.

As I stepped in I noticed Scarlet stopped a ways away before the receptionist’s desk, her eyes pleading for me to take this one.

Once a shy Scarlet, always a shy Scarlet I figured in my head, as I gave her a reassuring smile and trotted up to the first receptionist.

The black coated, orange maned Transylvanian mare paused her typing and looked up to me, raising an eyebrow in annoyence.

“We’re not recruiting now lad, our patrols are full as of this moment.” She spoke in a bored, well rehearsed tone.

“We’re not here to join the Night Watch ma’am, we’re actually here because Captain Aurora said you guys had a line up of jobs that need to be taken care of, and you might have supplies for us as well?” I asked politely, hopefully not pissing this already grumpy mare off.

Grumpy Mare’s frown increased in angle as she typed a few last commands into her terminal, causing it to whine as it shut off.

“You must be Mr. Wind with your fiance Ms. Rose?” She asked as she stood up and trotted around the receptionists’ desk, motioning for us to follow.

Okay seriously? This is just getting old now. I mentally sighed, looking boredly to Scarlet, trotted next to us staring absentmindedly to the ground.

“We’re not engaged ma’am… I don’t even know where you got that information?” I replied, my tone slipping as I was quickly getting annoyed by all of these accusations.

“Oh, I was just mentioning what Captain Borealis informed me.” Grumpy replied, obviously not giving a flying buck.

Of course it was… I’m gonna have words with that buck when I see him again. Oh hey that reminds me.

As we approached the armory door, I added, “Where is Aurora anyway?”

“He’s on his scheduled patrol tonight until 2am, now if you’d please stop asking questions, I need to give you two the supplies Aurora set aside.” The orange maned mare replied, unlocking the door with a key she brought with from the reception desk.

Scarlet and I walked into the tiny room, guns and armor lined the entire interior effectively stuffing the space to the brim.

I looked over to Scarlet with a smirk, her wide eyes and huge grin confirming my suspicions. This place was making her positively wet.

“Okay, located in the last two lockers over there, are the basic equipment you’ll need to carry out our tasks. Feel free to take anything you need, and check out the cork board over there to figure out what needs to be done.” Mrs. badmood said, gesturing to the lockers to our left, and the bulletin board beyond them on the wall. She then about faced and walked away without a word.

“Well she was pretty rud-” I was cut off as Scarlet let out a high pitched “eee” and began fangasming over all the equipment in the room.

I rolled my eyes smiling and headed over to the indicated lockers. Inside there were a pair of saddlebags, basic medical equipment and some food and water that would last both Scar and I about two days.

I strapped the saddle bags against my flanks and helped Scarlet with hers when she finally calmed down and stood still for more than two seconds. We then began to look around at all the guns in the room, however since we didn’t have any battle saddles we really couldn’t use any of the heavier equipment.

I found they lacked variety in firearms, so I opted to take a good old trustworthy Colt. Tidus 11. Chambered in .45 ACP. As well as a standard issue IS-700 bolt action rifle, with the high visiblity fiber optic night sights chambered in .308 calibre.

I always liked the idea of accuracy over firepower, even though I never shot a gun in my life. Hey we grew up in a stable, it’s not like we had enough room for a flow blown firing range. Even though we had an orchard… Oh you get it.

But with the slow firing rate of the Is-700, the smaller, more maneuverable, Tidus 11 has enough power with it’s bigger bullet to help if Scar and I ever got in sticky close quarter situations.

As I holstered the Tidus 11 in my saddlebags and slung the IS-700 across my back, I saw Scarlet decided to go with an IS-4 select-fire carbine with a low profile ACOG night scope, the gun was chambered in 5.56, damn not a bad choice at all.

When we grabbed all of the correct ammunition boxes and shoved them into our saddle bags, allowing our Pipbuck’s sorting spell to figure it all out for us, we turned to the paper-covered bulletin board to see what we could do to make caps.

I subconsciously scratched my scabbed shoulder with my left hoof as I read.

“Hunt feral ghouls in the near-by Deathtail woods, 20 caps per kill.” Nah, too low pay for too high risk, “Investigate Ironshod Firearms supply depot to northwest for missing guard 400 caps upon completion.” Hmm that doesn’t sound too bad, besides didn’t scarlet want to go there?” I turned to ask scarlet, just as her hoof roughly smacked mine away from my shoulder.

“Stop doing that! Jeez Middy what is up with you not wanting your wounds to heal properly?!” She screeched as I looked at my bloody hoof and shoulder.

“Oh wow… Okay we really need to find that medical facility after this, but before we head out, how do you feel about checking out that weapons depot to the north of town? They have an offer for 400 caps. It looks like some guard went missing there snd they want to know whats up.” I asked as I cringed from my shoulder, damn it was starting to sting again.

“Sounds good to me, but really Middy lets get you fixed up okay? I don’t want you bloody collapsing on me.” Scarlet replied with concern in her eyes.

Smiling warmly, I reached out a hoof and gently stroked her shoulder “I really appreciate your concern, c’mon lets go talk to Mrs. Grumpypants and see where we can find a doctor.”

Scarlet let out a small giggle and nodded as we turned and headed for the door, fully geared and confident to take on our task.

A small beep emitting from both our Pipbucks confirmed that the map updated, revealing the location to where the supply depot was. I made a mental note to check it out when we left town.

“Excuse me miss, but where could we find the nearest medical facility? Midnight really needs to patch himself up…” Scarlet asked in a small voice shyly, as the pissy mare looked up once again, releasing an annoyed sigh.

“Right across the street.” She replied flatly and then continued to type away at her terminal.

Oh, well that’s not too bad. Thanks. Cunt.

“Thanks ma’am we’ll be heading over to the facility to the north to investigate the lost guard.” I said as we turned around to head for the door.

“Wait.” I heard a quiet voice behind me call out.

Turning around once more, now very annoyed I nearly yelled,

“What?!”

“That guard that went missing… He’s a dear friend of mine, if you find him please bring him home for me okay?” The receptionist said, sadness splayed on her face as she looked at me pleadingly.

“If- if he’s no longer with us, he’ll be wearing a golden chained pocket watch. Could you please return that to me if... Worse comes to worse?” Tears started to well up in her eyes as her emotions caught up to her words.

I sighed and I felt my previous anger towards her melt away.

“We’ll try our best miss…?” I asked.

“Pumpkin spice.” She answered, this time genuinely.

“We’ll do everything we can to return him home, we promise.” Scarlet answered for me.

With one final nod we both turned around and headed out into the autumn night, leaving the receptionist to her own devices as I heard soft sobbing behind.

We quickly trotted across the street, dodging the occasional pony as we made our way to yet another similarly styled house, this time sporting a red cross on the sign above the door.

When we entered the room, it was similar in size, but far different in layout compared to the pub and the headquarters. The main room was comprised of a maze of curtains and beds as the sounds of moaning patients met our ears. Only two doctors were present, a light grey coated older stallion with a slightly darker mane and tail, and a dark green mare with periwrinkle mane and tail.

“Ah yet another patient has come to the good doctor my name is Broken Bone, how can I be of assistance today?” The old stallion greeted, his voice laced with a thick and sophisticated Braytish accent.

“I-”

“My friend Middy here could use some new bandages for his shoulder, as well as his right wing. Could you please help him out?” Scarlet butted in, explaining quickly with concern dripping in her voice.

Really? I can answer for myself once in a while Scar…

“Well of course! Here Middy, step onto a bed behind me and I’ll begin to examine your wounds.” Broken beckoned behind him.

“My name’s Midnight…” I sighed as I trotted behind Broken and took a seat on the old mattress.

Scarlet sat down at the foot of the bed, a knowing smile plastered on her face as she softly began to giggle to herself.

She did that on purpose! That little bitc-

“OW WHAT THE BUCK WHAT THAT FOR?!” I cried, feeling tears well in my eyes as Broken stretched my wing out without warning.

“Midnight why didn’t you splint your wing when you initially took the damage?” Broken asked, his face crooked with growing concern.

The doctor’s worried… oh shit…

“Uh, well the thought never really crossed my mind?” I cheekily answered.

“Penumbra grab a health potion for his laceration and a splint for his wing. It never set properly, so unless you want to have a crippled wing from here on out you’re gonna have to heal it the natural way.” Broken ordered as he gingerly felt around my joint.

With every hoof press I could feel the bone grindingly slightly and I winced as he put more pressure down.

“Got em’ doc.” The assistant returned with the items on her back.

“Here, I’m going to put the splint on first, otherwise the health potion will fuse the cartilage between your Ulna and Radiale bones in the wrong position.”

I have no idea what you just said I smiled and nodded.

“On three I’m going to snap it on okay?” Broken asked as he held the spring loaded splint up to my wing.

I nodded and closed my eyes preparing for the pain.

“One...”

“Four...

Wait, what the fu-

“GAH BUCK YOU!” I screamed as Broken snapped the splint down halfway between saying ‘four’ and whatever the hell he was gonna say.

“All done, now here drink up!” Broken cheerily shoved the deep red health potion into my mouth as I was crying out in pain, basically choking me with it’s… lemon… flavor?

Scarlet couldn’t contain the laughter building up within her as she probably saw my expressions change from worry to pain to confusion to surprise as I chugged down the lemony flavoured drink.

With Scarlet rolling on the ground, atop the uniform that was previously draped across her back, I spat out the bottle onto the bed and looked to my crazy itchy shoulder. I watched in both amazement and horror as the bullet induced cut mended before my eyes.

“Whoa. Thanks Broken!” I looked up to the smiling doctor with my own enthusiastic grin. I gently folded my wing, the spring assisted splint helping gently guide my wing back to a resting position against my side.

“Anything to help a pony in need! Now with the usage of facilities and my equipment, and the potion… that’ll be about 600 hundred caps.” Broken finished happily as he expectantly waited for the money.

Scarlet’s laughter on the ground abruptly ended with a snort, followed by,

“whaaaa…?”

I looked down to her our eyes bearing the same expression.

That’s bucking EXPENSIVE!

“Y- you’re kidding right?” I nervously asked, slowly getting off the bed and standing on all fours again.

“Nope, 600 caps, otherwise we’re going to have a bit of an issue won’t we?” Broken said, as he started to left his left foreleg, slowly flexing it. I suddenly realized his name might have more than one meaning.

“What if Scar and I give out an ‘I owe you’? We’re on a task that will give us a large sum of money, so we’ll be able to pay you off by later tonight.” I asked, feeling my confidence slipping as Broken bore his gaze right to my soul.

“Sounds fine by me! Just make sure you get it to me before tomorning!” He happily replied closing his eyes in mirth.

“Or else.” His expression dropped as he quickly stepped right up to my face, his angry glare simmering off his features inches from my own.

With that, he turned around and lightly chuckled to himself, followed by Penumbra who was shaking her head as they departed.

“What the buck was that all about?” I asked scar as I helped her to her legs again, she gratefully smiled as I did so, earning me my second gentle nuzzle to the cheek.

“I honestly don’t know, but I was worried sick your blinking wing wouldn’t set properly. I’m just happy you’re gonna be okay now.” She replied softly, pulling away from her nuzzle stopping just a hoof away from my face.

We were busy staring into each others eyes when a cough caught both of our attentions.

“I’m sorry t’ interupt yer uh… moment there, but this be a hospital, not a bedroom. Please if ye will?” Penumbra awkwardly cut us off, as she gestured towards the door.

Scarlet and I hastily apologized, both of us blushing madly as we quickly walked out once again into the night. The moon still shining at half wane the first quarter into the sky above.

Clearing my throat to cut the silence, I brought up my pipbuck and began to check the map for the location of the Ironshod Firearms supply depot.

Using the wheels on the sides of the device, I panned the screen from the little marker that read ‘Renaissance’ to the similar shaped marker reading ‘IS Military surplus distributary.’
“Well it looks like we have a good hour of travel time ahead of us, so we better get moving now.” I said, not making eye contact with Scarlet as I still felt the aftereffects of the passed awkwardness.

“Alright then, let’s load up our guns and head out.” Scarlet agreed, as she unslung her IS-4 and used her Pipbuck inventory sorter to locate her ammunition and three spare empty magazines.

I did the same, only this time having two magazines for my Tidus 11 and the IS-700 having a built in bullet well. I brought out the larger .308cal full metal jacketed rounds, and braced the rifle against my left foreleg, using my teeth to unhinge the bolt, and load 5 cartridges into the open well. I then closed the bolt again, chambering the round and hit the safety near the base of the bolt with my nose.

Propping the forty-five degree angled stock against my right shoulder, I held the gun by its firing bit protruding out of the left side. I carefully aimed down the bright green fiber optic sights to get used to how it felt.

“I hevth ner ideth hew tew useth dis thing.” I mumbled around the bit to Scarlet as I continued to aim at the wall.

“You’re kidding mate. Right?” Scarlet inquired, just finishing her loading of magazines and sliding one of them into the mag-well of the IS-4. As she looked up to me in bewilderment.

I released the bit and flung the rifle across my back, returning the boxes of .308 and grabbing the .45ACP and the two spare mags out of my saddlebags.

“Yeah, I actually have no clue… I know you line up the sights and bite down on the bit…?” I replied quietly, feeling pretty dumb from my lack of firearms education.

I started to load the smaller in length, bigger in diameter, pistol rounds into the magazines with my teeth and hooves. Seven rounds in each magazine.

“Oh my Luna, Middy, we are going to have a long conversation on our way there then. Theres more to shooting than just simple point and fire…” Scarlet sighed as she returned her carbine, similar in design to my own, with stock-angle and bit, to her back.

When I completed the magazine loading, I returned the spare ammunition and magazine to my saddlebags, sliding one of the mags into the Tidus 11 and engaging the safety underneath the rear of the slide.

“Well at least we’ll have something to do on our long trek there then, huh?” I grinned, any time spent alone with Scarlet, albeit educational for my naivety, was good time spent for me.

“Let’s get a moving then.” I announced, getting up to all fours and walking to the right of the hospital, the dead end of the street leading to grass and the rest of the prairie to the north, two watch towers on either side of us as we walked out of the town.

“Oi good luck out there! There’s been a rise in ghoul activity to the North East!” the guard in the right tower called out as we trotted out into the open field, bathed in the bright moonlight.

As we headed towards the forested edge, we quickly spotted a trail slightly off the the left and made for it. Scarlet began her lessons on bullet ballistics and flight dynamics as we trudged through the dead ankle high grass.

Listening along to Scarlet’s gentle voice and beautiful singsong accent, I looked up to the billions of stars above, briefly tuning out Scarlet as I thought to myself.

Mom would love to see this right now… Hay, maybe she’s up there, probably rubbing it in dad’s face that the stars were better than the blue sky.

I let out a chuckle as Scarlet angrily slapped my left side, demanding my attention to her lesson, she can be so cute when she’s mad. I nodded and let her continue, as we made our way to our first, and hopefully not last, encounter with what horrors the wasteland had to offer.

<><><>

“When you’re on a lower level than the target, make sure you aim below where you intend the bullet to strike because the angle with your sights will make the bullet lob up. So the bullet won’t hit level, and actually go in at an angle.” I explained to Midnight as we trudged along the forest.

The forest in these parts was relatively open, with the tree’s spaced out at least twenty hooves from each other. We have been traveling for roughly forty-five minutes following the trail to, what our pipbucks said, a small abandoned town where the supply depot was located.

The ground was covered in a soft layer of dead pine needles, dampening our hoof clops to soft crunching,

“Okay, but what if I’m above the target, like if I’m on a hill?” Midnight asked, as he peered ahead of us as we were approaching a group of boulders. Moonlight was leaking in through the cracks of the pine canopy above, providing ample light for us to follow the trail.

“Oh well that’s simple, you just aim above their head, the bullet will drop right on to-” I was cut off as a blood curdling choir of unequine roars filled the air behind us.

We both stopped and whipped around facing the boulders we just passed, just as three ghoulified ponies came charging around screaming in their horrendous voices.

“Shite! Middy kill them, kill them, oh Luna they’re so messed up!” I screamed reaching back back to unsling my IS-4.

I wasn’t moving fast enough, the lead ghoul pony was only a few hooves away and was galloping at it’s nearest target, toward me! I could see in stark detail as the ghoul approached, my rifle still only halfway off my back. It’s black beady eyes focused on me as it opened its mouth, cracked and sharp teeth at the ready to strike.

“GET DOWERN” Midnight commanded around the firing bit of the Tidus 11 in his mouth.

I crumpled my legs and let gravity drop me do-

*BOOM*

The .45cal round rocketed out of the barrel of the pistol, I saw my mane fly in front of my face as the bullet passed through the falling hairs. It penetrated clean through the skull of the ghoul and imbedded itself into the dirt behind it, sending a micro-sized mushroom cloud of pine needles into the air. Scarlet threads gently floated down around me.

Bloody nora that was close. I thought to myself, my rifle now laying across my chest as I lay on my back.

Midnight leaped over me as he dodged an uncoordinated strike from ghouly number two.

I took the firing bit of the IS-4 in my mouth, moving the fire selector switch with my tongue to the ‘automatic’ position, and bit down on the pressure plate. I felt the plate click as it released the hammer inside the upper receiver of the carbine.

The gun rattled in my mouth five times as it sent 5.56 calibre hell into the ghoul that was about to leap over me. It’s body shuddered as the surplus ball-ammunition struck at it’s ancient bones and tissue, killing it before it hit the ground, or in the case, me.

“Oof!” I grunted as the heavy ass bugger landed right on top of me, throwing my carbine off to the side.

Tears welled up in my eyes as the rotten stench reached my nose, I tried desperately to buck the long-dead, turned-ghoul, earth pony off of me, but the blasted corpse weighed at least double my own.

Midnight, who was galloping away with the last ghoul close behind, suddenly flared out his left wing, the broad feathers catching the wind of his momentum and spinning him around one hundred, eighty degrees. The moonlight seeping down caught on his feathers and they shimmered as the silky thin threads reflected the light.

Damn… I stared with wide eyes at the spectacle before me.

*BOOM*

The Tidus 11’s mighty roar echoed into the night, fading into a ‘crack’ then a low ‘hum’, as the sound waves were caught by the forest and surrounding distant mountains.

The ghoul that was trailing midnight before his maneuver, fell over into a bloody heap on the ground, the back of it’s skull ruptured from the immense kinetic energy of the pistol’s bullet.

I watched in stunned silence as Midnight holstered his pistol into his saddlebags and quickly began trotting over to me, stopping and heaving the dead ghoul off of my body. He then held out a hoof for me to take.

That was… incredible. The battle scene replayed in my mind as I blushed and took his hoof, mumbling out a small ‘thank you’, getting to fours.

“Th-thanks for the save mate…” I trailed off as I stared into Midnight’s eyes.

He flashed me a warm smile and nodded, “Anything for you Scar.”

We continued to stare into each others eyes, taking refuge in our gazes as the adrenaline calmed down within us.

This first battle we shared brought me back to the thoughts I had at the pub, this world was hell, and my only light in the darkness out here was Midnight. One of us could have died at any moment from those monsters, and we wouldn’t have even gotten a chance to say goodbye. No, I wasn't going to live my life in hesitation with the buck I knew I had feelings for. He and I only have one life and we sure as tartarus are gonna live it to the fullest. Together.

Buck trying to subtly let him know about my feelings. I thought angrily.

I felt now was a better time than never and did what anypony would do after being attacked and crumpled to the ground by a corpse.

I quickly leaned upwards, bracing one hoof against Midnight chest to help prop myself up, my right hoof hanging limply in the air. And kissed him.

Our muzzles met and I watched as his eyes widened in surprise from the sudden romantic gesture, then closed along with mine as he started to kiss me back.

Luna above he’s actually kissing me back! I thought to myself in surprised glee, butterflies dog fighting each other in my stomach.

Well no shite, he’s the one who originally loved you. My conscience retorted to itself.

Oh just let me have this moment okay?! I shut up my own mind.

I pressed forward harder into the kiss, moaning into Midnight’s mouth as I felt his tongue reach forward to my own and we began to wrestle each with other, his sharp fangs only adding to the excitement as I ran my tongue across them, on the brink of danger, but knowing his gentle nature would not allow me to get hurt.

We stood there in the middle of the forest, frosty wind lightly ruffling our manes and tails, lip locked in a passionate kiss for what felt like an eternity, before we finally separated for our much needed air. The vapor puffs from our panting were carried away together down wind as we stared lovingly into each other’s eyes.

“Blimey...” I muttered as I looked into his handsome golden eyes, the familiar action now feeling a thousand times more intimate and new than it ever had before.

“You smell bad.” Midnight sputtered, his brain probably still lost out beyond.

I quickly smacked my free right hoof against his shoulder.

Oh the nerve of this dense buck! I angrily glared at him as he processed what he just said. Yes, I may have just had a dead corpse collapse on me, but there were other times for those comments!

“Uh, gah, wha… I mean! You, that. Gah!” Midnight widened his eyes, his consciousness successfully landing at the Midnight Wind airport.

I sighed in annoyance as I was about to drop down to all fours again, but was stopped when Midnight reached out a hoof and caressed my cheek, bringing me to face him again.

“I’m sorry Scar, I have trouble speaking with you in situations like this. You’re just... Absolutely beautiful, everything about you, and especially so under the moonlight tonight.” Midnight spoke quietly.

I felt the blush on my cheeks grow deeper as he leaned down and softly kissed me on the lips once again. This one much shorter, though far more romantic, I wrapped my forelegs around his neck and enjoyed every second of it.

Finally parting for the second time, I let go and sat on my haunches, looking down to the ground frowning.

“I’m sorry about what I did at the Stable orchard, I know I must have shattered your heart into a bloody million pieces… I was scared and taken off guard. But after all of these events, I finally realized all I was doing was suppressing feelings I always had for you...” I spoke softly as Midnight sat down closely in front of me.

“It’s okay Scar, I knew I was probably pushing you too far too quickly with that, but I guess it all doesn’t matter now huh?” he chuckled as he tilted my head up with his left hoof and leaned his forehead against mine.

“I love you Middy.” I nearly whispered as I closed my eyes, resting my head against his.

“I love you too Scar.” Midnight quietly responded warmly.

Those five words said more than enough for my heart to stop as they sent a warm sensation throughout my entire body, the cold air failing to penetrate through this moment.

I leaned forward and pecked him on the lips once more, backing up and nuzzling his cheek with my own and let out a giggle.

“I guess I do smell pretty awful though huh? I’m sorry for rubbing it all over you like that.” I added in mirth as I backed away to spare him the stench.

“You know, considering I was rewarded a few kisses, I think it was well worth it.” Midnight grinned as he stood to all fours, helping me up as well.

“Let’s finish up with this bloody mission and head back to Renaissance, I think we deserve a break after this. And first date at the town, wouldn’t you agree?” I nonchalantly asked, shooting him a sly grin.

We slowly trotted away from the battle scene, bumping hips, as we walked over the shell casings and death surrounding our out-of-place romance. Celestia above it was bloody ironic.

I reached down and grabbed my discarded carbine in my mouth, slipping the sling around my neck and settling it once more across my back.

“Well Miss Rose, if you’d care for a night together I’ll gladly take you up on that offer. Though considering our situation, you’d have to stick by me all the time, date or not. Where else would you go hmm?” He teased at my lack of oversight.

“Oh come on, let’s just get this out of the way first, besides we owe that blasted Doctor six hundred caps.” I grumbled at his logic and I picked up my pace.

The forest rapidly cleared up as we approached the rocky base of one of the mountains that surrounded Transylvania in a ring. I could barely spot the twenty or so ruined pre-war homes of a small settlement ahead, the cracked asphalt road winding it’s way between the valleys of the nearby mountain.

Near the left side of the town, to the west, was a three story concrete building in decent repair. I could only assume that was the Ironshod distributary warehouse since there was an abandoned lot out front surrounded by a broken and rusted barbed wire fence.

The building had three visible garage openings on the wall that faced us, two of which were closed with enormous rusted steel-slatted doors, the last one on the right being open. A large powered chariot with a storage container on it’s back was parked before the opening, probably loading up it’s supplies when the bombs fell and radiation bathed the area.

We probably had fifteen or so minutes of trotting ahead of us, and the moon was just barely reaching it’s halfway point in the sky. But with Midnight next to me, no words were necessary to pass the time. I leaned into him and felt him hum happily as we trotted towards our destination.

* * *

“I don’t see a bloody thing Middy what the hay are you talking about?” Scarlet moaned as she squinted into the town.

From our position on a slight rise in the landscape, to the east of the town, we could see the whole thing, all twenty houses lining the asphalt road and round cul-de-sac that ran through it. We were currently perpendicular to the road on a grassy hill, and the Ironshod warehouse was directly in front of us, a well worn road connecting it to the main one right after the last house.

“I could have sworn I spotted movement down there. I didn’t get a good look at it, it definitely was moving.” I said with confidence as I also squinted to focus better.

The various pre-war houses were the generic Tidus 50s suburban two story houses. They had their dead little front lawns, tiny ass cracked little white picket fences and collapsed walls. Only about eight or so of the houses were still standing, all of which were covered in a variety of grotesque spray painted images of rape and murder.

I guess ponies still need to express their feelings through art, even after the fall of Equestria.

“Well, somepony’s definitely been here recently, walls don’t paint themselves!” I pointed out, turning my head to my right and focused on Scarlet who was shoulder to shoulder with me. We’ve been making a lot of physical contact with each other since that romantic moment we shared back in the forest, not that I’m complaining!

“Well mate those houses had a hundred years to get painted, anypony could have traveled in here between the bombings and now and just, eh, prettied up the place.” She shuddered looking at the graffiti.

I sighed and unslung my IS-700, this time we were being prepared to anything unlike the ambush before.

“Well let’s just be ready for anything okay Scar? I really don’t feel like knowing what the afterlife tastes like.” I spoke as I pulled the bolt half way to make sure I had a round in the chamber.

“Tastes… like?” Scarlet quizzically looked at me as she followed my actions with her carbine.

“Yeah, there’s obviously going to be food in the afterlife?” I responded in confusion.

Why would there not be? Seriously… I love food…

Scarlet continued to stare at me for a few seconds, slowly mouthing what I just said. Before shaking her head.

“Okay, whatever you say Middy, c’mon lets head on down to that cul-de-sac and follow the road to the warehouse.” She finished, letting her carbine sit in front of her, as she started to canter down the hill to our left.

I quickly followed suit behind her, my rifle bumping softly against my chest as it swung on its sling. I had a pretty good view of her ‘wares’ from back here so I didn’t mind the trot. She’s my marefriend now, I can think those thoughts!

When our hoof steps contacted the asphalt I once again heard the familiar clopping noise that was ever present in the Stable. I didn’t realize I missed the sensation of hard ground that much until now.

Looking around me, I saw that all the houses in the cul-de-sac were completely caved in, nothing but burned out wooden frames stood amongst the pile of rubble that comprised the foundations. The houses on the main road, however, were all standing.

Now that we were inside the settlement, I could clearly see the bloodstains and twisted bodies of dead ponies that decorated the sides of the standing houses, their torn limbs hanging on hooked chains and their heads shoved on pikes in the front lawns.

“I think I’m gonna be sick…” Scarlet moaned beside me as she turned her head away from the houses, burying her muzzle in my shoulder.

I couldn’t argue with her, the stench was… less than fantastic to say the least.

“I think we should check those houses out.” I said, holding my foreleg to my own muzzle.

“What?! Are you bloody daft Middy? Do you see what happened to those other ponies who wanted to ‘check out’ the houses?” Scarlet shrieked, lifting her head out of my left shoulder briefly to berate me.

“That’s exactly why we need to see what caused this, I don’t want to go past these houses and into the warehouse only to be flanked by whatever creature killed these ponies.” I said, steeling my nerves. We needed to approach this tactically if we wanted to live.

“Luna’s moon, Midnight if I didn’t love you I’d kill you for making me do this.” Scarlet moaned as she finally faced forward.

We trotted towards the first bloody mess of a house to our right, rusted out junk covered the front yard and organs of ponies decorated the edges of the roof. Not thinking of any better way to enter, I made my way to the front door.

“Are you sure this is a good idea? Why not look for back door or something?” Scarlet whispered, fear starting to come to the edges of her voice.

Always the skeptic that one, my plans are brilliant! They never failed.

“We’ll be fineee, when have my plans ever failed?” I winked as Scarlet roller her eyes.

I grabbed the door knob with my teeth. It tasted like dried blood and rust, which taste the same, so I really hoped it was just rust.

I opened the door nonchalantly and stepped in. I was greeted with the smell of alcohol and cigarette smoke. When my eyes adjusted to the flame-llantern lit room I just entered, I looked around me and saw five ponies sitting around a worn out poker table in the living room to my left. Each pony was wearing some form of celestia knows what for body armour, sporting leather jackets, cooking pots, and washboards. Every single one had ridiculous spikes sticking out somewhere just begging to poke somepony.

The ponies themselves were all Transylvanian, their coats dark colored and their manes help up in fugly mohawks and spikes. I saw there were three stallions and two mares, the mares were currently holding lewd positions on the gambling stallions as they all froze their activities and looked to me in unison.

Raiders. The words from Borealis echoed in my head as I spotted their crazy expressions, they were all armed with the shittiest cared for guns I have ever seen. SMGs and pistols were literally held together with bubblegum and duct-tape.

“Nope.” I spoke clearly to everypony in the room. And politely shut the door.

“What mate? What’s in there?” Scarlet asked behind me, probably confused as to why I opened the door and shut it right away so casually.

“RUN!” I yelled, freaking Scarlet out and causing her to yell because I was yelling.

We bolted back down the road and across the street, towards the first house on the cul-de-sac. I dove inside the wreckage, quickly followed by a very confused and frightened Scarlet. Our movements caused the ash around us to kick up and fall down atop us like snow, as I braced my IS-700 on a wooden beam and peered down the glowing sights, towards the door.

“What's going on? Was there a monster in there? Was the monster decorating a tree with guts? Oh Celestia, I really hope they’re not celebrating Hearths Warming Eve this early with guts. Actually I just really hope nopony would ever decorate a tree with guts.” Scarlet freaked out beside me, poking only her eyes over the beam next to my rifle, visibly shaking with fear.

“No Scar, theres no trees or monsters, though there are a lot of guts…” I trailed off thinking.

Shaking my head to focus I continued, “There are five raiders in that house, all are armed, though their guns have seen better days. Get your carbine up and lets take em’ by surprise when they come looking for us.”
Huh, for once I actually have decently solid plan.

Scarlet nodded and propped her IS-4 next to my rifle, her carbine barrel only reaching half the length of mine. She was still incredibly frightened, I could basically feel the nervousness radiate off of her, but she still held her gun steady. I saw as the ambidextrous fire selector switch turned to the ‘Semi’ position from right side of her gun.

The door to the raider cave opened and out stepped one of the bucks, donning a machine pistol of some sorts, he wore a leather jacket and was the one with the mohawked mane.

“C’mere li-tle pegafreak, I wanna show you how much of a good neighbor I am~” He sang into the darkness as the rest of his gang poured out, all armed with pistols and SMG’s.

I lined up the three glowing green dots of my night sights, the fiber optic at the tip of the barrel making up the center dot between the two that were on top of the bolt housing to the rear. I trained my barrel onto the head of what I presumed was the leader of the raiders.

“Oi, we don’t have all nig-” The leader didn’t get to finish his sentence as a .308 round promptly ruptured his head.

*KA-POW*

The rifle rocked in my teeth as I let go of the pressure plate, allowing it to reset. I then lowered the gun stock, using my right hoof the recycle the bolt, ejecting the spent casing and rechambering the next one below it from the internal magazine.

*BANG, BANG, BANG*

The steady shots of Scarlet’s IS-4 followed up in my absence, the constant slow fire suppressing the raiders as they quickly dove for cover behind the junk in their front yard.

I looked to my left as Scarlet calmly peered down her low power, illuminated scope, firing disciplined round after round. The brass casings ejected out of the open dust cover on the right of her carbine and spun in the air stopping when they lightly bounced into my side.

Confident my significant other would provide enough suppressive fire, I lifted my gun back up to the beam and searched for a target. The foreleg of one of the mares popped out behind a huge-ass steel rubbish bin she was taking cover behind. She blindly sprayed an automatic hail of lead towards our general direction, forcing Scarlet to take cover as the bullets struck the beam in front of her.

I held my ground and quickly lined the sights up to her hoof, biting down on the bit and rocketing the bullet into her foreleg. The large calibre rifle round ripped her foreleg right out of its socket and the raidess stood up screaming in pain, only to be silenced by one of Scarlet’s well placed bullets going through her throat. She then fell to the ground gurgling her her blood as she slowly died.

I repeated my process of recycling the bolt and brought the gun back up to face the raiders. The gang quickly learned from their fallen companion, however, and none seemed to risk shooting back at us again.

“Middy cover me, I’m going to fly over to the building to the left of their bloody position.” Scarlet said confidently as she replaced her near empty magazine with a fresh one, charging the bolt straight back, located beneath the scope.

“Okay, but don’t you dare die on me, you hear?” I nodded, a bit fearful she was putting herself in a more dangerous position.

“Don’t worry love, I’ll be back before dinner.” Scarlet smiled and took off towards the building, her flight was incredibly fast, faster than what I thought her leathery wings were capable of doing.

The sounds of her wings noisily flapping in the air, not being covered in feathers like mine, caught the attention of the raiders and the remaining three stood up and began to aim at her.

Not on my watch you bastards!

I snapped my sights on the nearest raider, the buck wearing cooking wear as armor. And bit down on the pressure plate, the bullet sparked off the cast iron pot on his chest, causing him to tumble over out of cover, but not kill him outright. The single shot was enough to force the other two raiders back into cover, but not before one of them fired a pistol round.

I heard Scarlet let out a yelp of pain as she roughly landed into the wreckage of the house just left of the raiders.

“Shit! Scarlet!” I yelled out, rapidly rechambering a round, and aiming at the head of the fallen buck. This time silencing him from this battle for good. I then quickly rechambered and fired twice more to suppress them before my gun clicked on an empty chamber.

Fuck! I don’t have time to reload this gun! I thought as I hastily slung the rifle accross my back and grabbed the Tidus 11 out of my saddle bags.

My ears flicked forward as I heard a seven round burst of automatic fire crack into the night, I quickly looked up, pistol in mouth as the two raiders pushed toward the house Scarlet was taking cover in. The last raider mare crumpled to the ground as the assault rifle bullets pierced right through her chest and embedded themselves against the wall of the raider hideout.

I leaped over the wooden beam before me, seizing the opportunity of the single remaining raider’s distraction to cross the road towards them as Scarlet let out another burst from her carbine. I fell behind cover of a rusted out chariot wheel well, Celestia knows why this thing was in the front yard.

I peeked around the corner and saw the last buck, this one wearing nothing at all, armed with a small caliber revolver. He was taking cover behind the collapsed wall of the house Scarlet was in, just in front and to Scarlet’s left. He was in an advantageous position, no way Scarlet would be able to react fast enough if were to charge her with that pistol.

I yelled out a battle cry as I leaped over the chariot wheel housing and rapidly bit down on the Tidus 11’s trigger bit. The raider whipped around only to be met with the remaining five round of lead slamming up his chest and finally his head. He unceremoniously crumpled to the ground, a pool of blood beginning to form around him.

I quickly hit the safety catch on my gun instinctively, even though it was unloaded and the slide was locked back in the ‘empty’ position, and returned it to my saddlebags. Galloping to where Scarlet took cover behind a similar fallen wooden beam.

“Shit Scarlet! Are you okay? I think I heard you get hit!” I yelled out in panic as I jumped over the beam, causing Scarlet to “eep” in surprise.

“I’m fine mate, don’t worry it’s nothing big.” Scarlet chuckled, though not without hissing in pain as she grabbed her left foreleg.

“Nothing big?! You just got fucking shot in the leg!” I yelled out in exasperation as I reached into Scarlet’s saddlebags and rummaged around, finally pulling out one of her six healing potions.

“Here drink this, it will still be sore and will itch a lot, but it’s gonna stop the bleeding.” I said, holding the healing potion in my mouth.

Scarlet leaned forward and grabbed it with both hooves, wincing in pain having to use her foreleg. She popped the cork off with her teeth and chugged it down, her face taking a sour look as the lemon flavor probably kicked in.

“Blegh that’s bloody awful…” Scarlet moaned as she set the empty bottle down.

“This is coming from the mare who loves those demon cakes?” I asked shooting a sly grin to her.

“Yeah, it is mate, those cakes are heavenly…” Scarlet trailed off as her looked down to her left foreleg, similar to how I did when I first used a healing potion on my shoulder.

“Bloody nora… that’s amazing.” She stared wide eyed as her leg sealed up, leaving nothing but a light pink spot behind where her fur was taken off by the bullet.

She then gingerly tested her foreleg by putting some weight on it.

“It’s not the best feeling right now, but I can still gallop and trot. I hope the pain goes away soon.” She muttered as she got up to all fours again.

“It will in about an hour or so, but Luna above, I’m so glad you’re okay Scar, I thought you might have gotten seriously wounded back there.” I said quickly pulling her in for a hug with my left foreleg.

“Middy you don’t have to worry about me all the time like this, I can handle myself in a battle, hay probably better than you can.” Scarlet giggled, though still returning the hug with enthusiasm.

I backed up and planted a gentle kiss on her lips, as we took a brief second to relish in our newfound relationship. If we kept fighting like this, and kissing each other after every battle I swore we were going to have sore mouths by the end of the day.

When we finally disconnected blushing brightly, we headed back towards the battlefield that just took place, and I began to nose my way around the dead bodies of the raiders.

“Middy what are you doing? That’s probably not really sanitary…” Scarlet scrunched up her muzzle in disgust as I used my mouth to pick up the revolver from the dead raider outside our current house.

“Wert kernd of reverver ers ders?” I asked as I held it off to the side, the barrel pointing down, allowing for Scarlet to inspect it.

“Naught point twenty two calibre, eight chambered cylinder, looks like a Nieghmington but it’s in such bad shape I can’t even tell… why?” she asked as she looked back up to me in confusion.

I placed the crappy piece of junk in my saddlebags and turned back to the next radier, this one being the female that got wrecked by Scarlet’s carbine.

“We’re only going to make four hundred caps on this mission, we need to somehow buttpull two hundred to meet ends with that damn doctor. If we collect these guns from the raiders, maybe Honey Bee will have mercy on us and give us a enough caps to finish up our debts.” I replied, shoving the dead raidess’s SMG into my saddlebags. It was so messed up, I doubted even Scarlet would know what kind it was.

As I continued to raid the raiders of their equipment, Scarlet fumbled around her with her Pipbuck in boredom, I swear she need constant entertainment to keep her from getting bored.

I felt my ears swivel back as I heard music clearly sing out into the night behind me, followed by a gleeful cheer from Scarlet. Smooth big bang jazz played out into the air, followed by the smooth voice of a stallion, singing about kicks to the head and mares.

“Hey middy! I found a radio station on my Pipbuck, who’da thought there would still be radio stations out here?” Scarlet cried out in joy from where she sat by the curb of the road.

I continued to listen to the sweet and low sounds of the stallions music as I finished up my foraging, and returned to my marefriend, sitting down to her right and catching my breath from cantering all over the front yard of the house collecting various things.

“I’m pretty sure every single one of my guns is empty…” I said lamely as I reached back and grabbed both my rifle and pistol, laying them out before me.

“I burned through two mags of ammunition, so I’m not too far behind” Scarlet sighed as we both began reloading the magazines and rifle.

When we finished up our reloading and rechambering, we got up to all fours and trotted down the road towards the intersection. I highly doubted anything else in this town wanted to kill us, otherwise they would have joined the battle or would have attacked while Scar and I were reloading.

When we passed the crooked stop sign, we hung a left and proceeded down the short side road that lead into the parking lot of the Ironshod warehouse. Passing abandoned security booths meant to police chariots entering and exiting the property, I noticed there was a terminal that was still powered within the one on the right side of the road.

“Hang on Scar, let’s check something out really quickly.” I called out and headed towards the small one room sized building.

“You know last time you said that, we almost got our arses blasted by some raiders, yet here I am following you again.” Scarlet sighed as she trotted in next to me, barely fitting us both into the same space.

I poked the ancient computer keyboard with a hoof, and surprisingly it booted up to where it last left off a hundred years ago. The green monochrome screen flashed to life and a series of commands came up into place.

Robronco Industries Terminal. Serial: 14B6A7
Command executable:
-Open main security gate.
-Unlock floorsafe.
-Contact police headquarters, Vanhoover detachment 14.

“Well considering the main gate doesn't exactly exist anymore.” I said looking out the window to the hinges of where it once stood.

“And I reallyyy doubt there are any police still on duty, we might as well go for the floor safe?” I offered as I used a hoof to guide the selection box down to the command and hit the “enter” key.

A soft ‘beep’, followed by the sounds of a lock disengaging came from behind us on the wall.

“Hey… that’s not a floorsafe, the computer lied to us.” Scarlet pouted as we turned around and looked towards the black box, with it’s tiny blue screen flashing “unlocked”

I opened it up and was surprised to find… a bobby pin and some bubble gum.

“Seriously? Who the buck locks up bubblegum and a single bucking boddy pin? Like, actually though.” I skeptically looked at the pathetic treasure.

“Hey you know, maybe it was meant for a mare such as myself to find because somepony oh so kindly gave me a manecut just below my right ear.” Scarlet sarcastically smirked as she reached in and placed the boddy pin in her mane, effectively keeping her bangs in place behind her ear again.

With a smile she turned to me.

“Well, what do you think? Does it work?” She asked.

“You look beautiful Scar.” I replied smiling, and nuzzling her muzzle with my own.

When we exited the claustrophobic room I turned around.

“We may as well take that bubble gum too, I mean, it probably has just as many preservatives as anything else in this wasteland. So it’s probably edible” I said, reaching in and taking the bubblegum in my hoof.

“Want a piece?” I offered to Scarlet, who nodded and took one as well promptly chewing on it.

I waited for just a moment, deep down hoping some crazy thing will happen to us from taking the special bubble gum from the safe. Hoping that since we spent so much time in that room, the bubble gum obviously had importance to what we were doing, or perhaps would change something in the future drastically altering our story. Nothing happened, it was just plain bubblegum.

Well that’s lame. I thought to myself as we made our way across the abandoned lot, and approached the big-ass chariot that was parked in front of the open warehouse bay.

When we rounded the abandoned vehicle, I took a peek inside the cargo container. It was relatively empty, save for a few pallets here in there. It looked like this place has been picked clean of all the goodies it once held.

“Alrighty, let’s head into the main warehouse and find our missing Rose Guard, right Rose?” I chuckled as I made the pun with Scarlet’s name. She, for her part just rolled her eyes and nodded.

We clambered up the steep cargo bay loading ramp and entered the huge interior of the warehouse, crates upon crates were stacked high above to the third floor, the stacks of boxes going at least a hundred hooves to the back of the room. To our left was a metal catwalk with stairs that lead up to what I assumed were the offices on the left side of the building.

My observations were short lived when I heard the cycling of a very familiar sounding bolt come from my left. It was the chambering of a .308 IS-700.

Quickly turning to our left, Scarlet and I widened our eyes in shock as we saw the familiar armour of a Renaissance Night Watch, ranked at Lieutenant hobble out of the shadows. His black combat armour severely scorched in certain places, revealing his scorched hide underneath the melted polymer and metal protection.

“Alright Honey Bee, I knew you’d come back to finish me of-” A youngish sounding male voice was cut off as the guard’s head passed into the overhanging flickering lights of the warehouse.

-“Midnight?! Scarlet?! What the buck are you two doing way out here?”

-“Lieutennant Dusk?!”

Both he and I yelled out in synchronization as he let his rifle drop to his chest.

“Want a piece of gum?” Scarlet happily asked as she looked between both my own and Lieutenant Dusk’s confused expressions.

Scarlet, this is why I love you sweetie.

* * *

“So let me get this straight, Honey Bee works for a group called the ‘Black Daylight’, and they’re trying to overthrow Renaissance’s government? Not only does that sound a bit cliche, but isn’t that just bucking hard to do?” I asked rhetorically to Dusk after her explained his predicament.

Him, Scarlet and I all sat in a circle around in the center of the monstrous warehouse of the Ironshod Firearms distribution centre. After downing three of our health potions, he regained the energy to began his explanation.

Apparently, that gun shop owner we met, Honey Bee, said he needed an armed escort to pillage this place, and so Aurora sent Dusk along with. Once they got here, Honey double crossed the Lieutenant and locked him in the offices, where he had to fend off waves of security drones and turrets.

Honey Bee probably thought his assassination was a success and quickly left back towards Renaissance, where he set up and waited to repeat the process with other officers in the Night Watch Corps.

“What seems odd to me, however, is the fact that Honey Bee explained to us in detail where to find this location.” Scarlet chimed in. “Why would he lead us here where he’s attempting his murders?”.

“That mi’lady, is something I do not know. Honey might have ulterior motives to making you two disappear. And I fear that the Black Daylight are about to attempt something on Renaissance.” Dusk replied.

Grr I still don’t like how ‘smooth’ he is with Scarlet, I know I shouldn’t be, but damn it! He still makes me jealous! I thought to myself.

I silently asserted my position by wrapping my left wing around Scarlet, who scooted closer and gratefully leaned in against my side.

The dark red bat-pony didn’t seem to notice, nor give a flying buck as he continued,

“Honey is just a hitstallion, and a poor one at that. Whatever might happen to Renaissance is probably happening from higher up. We know they have a headquarters in the nearby city of Vanhoover, so they might be planning their actions from there.”

“Okay but why try and take over the town?” I continued my investigation, ponies don’t simply wish to conquer land without a motive.

“Well the Black Daylight’s motto kind of goes like this: ‘See a bat? Make em’ splat.’ they believe bat-ponies are the most inferior and wicked of the races, as if we were created by Nightmare Moon herself. They think an ethnic cleansing should take place, that this world should be relieved of the ‘burden it carries to support the vile bats’. They don’t simply want to take over the town, they want all of Transylvania eradicated.” Dusk sighed.

He continued, “Honey went on some dramatic kind of monologue before he left me to die. He said the Black Daylight were currently sweeping through Transylvania, a few of our smaller sister towns have already fallen, and they plan on striking us next. We’re no way near the biggest settlement, but if they succeed, Luna knows how many other small settlements around us will also be slaughtered.”

“Blimey… That’s bloody awful…” Scarlet murmured as she leaned in closer to me, her lower lip quivering around her little fangs. She was terrified.

“Shit… but okay wait, Honey’s Transylvanian just like us! Why the fuck is he working with that crazy cult?” I asked almost angrily.

“Mate, some ponies will be willing to murder their own children if offered the right amount of caps. The Black Daylight probably needed an inside job, so they hired Transylvanians to execute their duties. I have a strong feeling that Honey Bee is simply going to die with the rest of us if the Black Daylight get far enough with their plans.” Dusk replied calmly, obviously he knew of this long before.

I sighed as I leaned my head against the top of Scarlet’s. This was definitely something I did not expect. The Daylight had to be stopped, but with little to no information of their motives, we were dead in the water.

“We need to double time it back to Renaissance, Captain Borealis needs to know of Honey Bee, and an interrogation needs to go underway. If Honey Bee escapes, we won’t ever know of an imminent attack. As we speak he’s probably in the process of attempting another assassination on a Night Watch Officer, further destabilizing the guard leaving us vulnerable to any kind of force.” Dusk spoke with revived vigor, standing to all four hooves, not without a grunt of pain.

“But we’re at least an hour away from the town.” Scarlet cut in.

“Honey Bee isn’t suspecting our return, nor do I believe an attack will happen soon, though time is off the essence, it is still within our hooves.” Dusk spoke with confidence. “Midnight and I aren’t able to fly, but if you fly ahead of us and inform Aurora, he might be able to apprehend Honey before another officer goes missing.” he said to Scarlet.

Scarlet shook her head vigorously

“No I can’t do that, you two are both severely hampered without your wings, not to mention you can barely bloody trot. What if you get attacked by a larger group of raider than we encountered? I’m staying with you two.” She asserted.

“But Scar, if we don’t convey the message soon, Honey might be able to sabotage the Night Watch too far, what if he succeeds an assassination of Borealis himself?” I tried to reason with her.

“NO! I’m not abandoning my first and only coltfriend to die out in the forests alone! I’d sooner take my own if I found out you were attacked and killed, unable to fly away or fight properly.” Tears welled up in the corners of her eyes as she stood up and nearly screamed, they began to drip down her muzzle and splash on the floor.

Shit. That really affected her. I can’t ask her to do something that affects her this much, it would tear her apart. I made a mental note to figure out why this was, later on.

“I- I’m sorry Scar, you’re right, I’d feel the same way in your position. You don’t have to fly off without us.” I apologized, taking a step forward and embracing my beloved marefriend in a hug.

“Then we should move out right now, we’ll have to canter the whole way back but I’m sure you two can handle it.” Dusk commanded, damn he would make a good lead- oh wait he’s a Lieutenant, duh.

“We can, but are you going to be okay? Those burns look pretty nasty.” I commented looking over his armour. Energy weapons were a true force to be reckoned with.

“Tis’ but a flesh wound. Let’s head out.” Dusk ordered, turning around and briskly cantering out of the warehouse. Scarlet and I in close tow as we headed back out and straight for the treeline across the streets and up the hill.

* * *

As we traveled the sparse forest our steady breaths gently slid past us as we cantered on through the night. The moon now on it’s last three fifths of the sky. I figured since we had a good fifteen minutes ahead of us at this rate, I may as well spark up a friendly conversation. Better late than never right?

“Sooo this mare Pumpkin Spice we met, she was really concerned about you, she said you were a dear friend of hers?” I asked, hoping to lighten the mood.

Dusk remained silent for a long moment, causing me to look up at Scarlet in confusion, her expression similar to my own. She was gliding not far above me, her legs too tired to continue long before. Her scarlet tail was swishing out behind her and I had an excellent view of her- Oh wow, lovely trees we have around these parts. Golly gee.

I just had to look up… Luna above, I need to get my mind out of the gutter. I mentally sighed as I righted my eyes back forwards, a heavy blush adorning my face.

“She’s my ex wife.” Dusk replied simply in monotone.

Okaaay touchy subject. I opened my mouth to apologize, but was stopped short by Scarlet’s sudden outburst,

“Omigosh! Middy! I lost my bow!” She cried out looking down to me in disdain.

“Wait you seriously realized that now? Not during any of the time between that ghoul attack and where we are currently?” I asked in bewilderment.

About twenty minutes ago we were ambushed by a group of five ghouls, it wasn’t nearly as bad as any of the other fights, actually winding up being downright easy. Somehow in the fray, Scarlet’s bow must have came loose and fallen off the top of her head.

“Yes I just noticed now! That bow was the last reminder I had of Stable 17. I know it just carried bad memories but it also represented a few good ones as well…” Scarlet spoke solemnly.

“Oh… I’m sorry Scar I didn’t realise. We can go back and look for it if you want?” I apoligised, shit I needed to be more empathetic.

“No, no it’s okay, we need to reach Renaissance. Besides I doubt we’ll ever find it again.” She replied, sadness dripping in her tone.

It probably reminded her of her mother… I concluded.

We neared the tree line leading to the open fields that Renaissance was located in. And I could clearly see the dim lights of the town from where we stood.

“Alright let’s pick up the pace, we’re almost there” Dusk grunted as he took off in a gallop across the field.

I complied following close behind, my legs were already damn sore from the long canter, and I doubted I could make it much further. But we had to reach the headquarters to give an early warning. Luna knows when the Black Daylight will begin to strike, for all we knew, they could have a sizable force on the ready.

Scarlet swiftly glided above as as we raced towards the headquarters straight ahead of us to the south.

Suddenly a bright flash engulfed the very building we were headed to, followed by a shockwave that flattened the grass before, us resonating within my bones as it passed over us.

“Holy fuck! What the hay was that?!” I skidded to a halt as Scarlet quickly landed beside me. Dusk tripped and rolled, getting back on his hooves and gawked at the building.

When the initial cloud of flames finished rising into the night, I could see the wreckage through the enferno that now engulfed the building. The entire left side of the building had collapsed and ponies were scattering from the site.

I spotted the telltale armor as Night Watch guards began rushing towards the building, guns at the ready and pails of water being handed down from one of the nearby wells. Just as the armed fire brigade was snuffing out the flames, all hell broke loose.

A roar of battle cries and hoof stomps rushed in from the forest to our right and behind us. All three of us whipped around to see a group, maybe sixty to eighty strong, gallop out into the open field and charge Renaissance.

The first thing I noticed: they were all earth ponies. Every single one of them clad in black combat armour trimmed with white lines. They all wore similar styled helmets, with some kind of respirator and visor combination sporting a solid metal cap. Every earth pony carried a battle-saddle mounted IS-16 Assault Rilfe, and engraved on their helmets was the depiction of a rising sun in golden trim.

Overhead, a salvo of rockets launched from the treeline and struck randomly into the town, killing innocent mares and stallions, little fillies and colts, as they were ripped apart by the high explosives.

I didn’t need Dusk to explain to me who these were. The group was headed right for us, and in only a few minutes, I knew they would be on top of us. We were stuck in the wide open between a cult that wanted no more but to murder every single one of our kind, and the last hope of survival too far away behind us to gallop in time.

A town that once glowed brightly when the festivities of the fair were at its peak before the bombings, was now litten up once again, not by happiness and mirth but with the flames of war.

The Black Daylight assault force had reached the border town of Transylvania: Renaissance.

x x x

Level up!
New perks added!
Midnight Wind:
“A Scarlet Flame”: With your newfound relationship with Scarlet Rose, you gain an extra 10AP whenever around her, as well as a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside. How adorable!

“Snipers? Pft I have Iron sights”: Whenever you use a precision rifle without a scope, you gain +10% to accuracy!

Scarlet Rose:
“A little light in your Midnight”: With your newfound relationship with Midnight Wind, you gain an extra 10AP whenever around him, as well as a butterfly reenactment of the Battle of the Bulge within your stomach. Thats so historical, good for you!

“Care for a Carbine?”: Your appreciation for short barreled assault rifles has not gone unnoticed! Your barrage of fire scares enemies into cover, and is 5% more accurate when using a carbine. But your rate of fire is reduced slightly due to your trigger discipline.