• Published 13th Apr 2012
  • 5,900 Views, 170 Comments

Role Reversal - TheGentlemanCreeper



A sequel to Freudian Slip. You helped Rarity face her demons and now it's her turn.

  • ...
16
 170
 5,900

Chapter 5

“Where’d she go where’d she go where’d she go...”

Sucking in air through your teeth, you try to force your eyes shut tighter and clamp your hooves down around your ears.

“Please please please please...”

“Come now, darling! Is that anyway to treat a lady in your present company?”

Your jaw tightens and you start to grind your teeth before screaming aloud. “YOU’RE NOT REAL! YOU’RE NOT HERE!”

“We’re as real as we need to be, boy.”

“GO AWAY! JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!” You slam your head back into the wall of your room and let out a long sob. “Just leave me alone...”

Letting out a long, haggard breath, you open your eyes and look around the room. “I’m... I’m still in Ponyville. I’m not here... I’m not ever going to be here.”

“You sure about that? How do you know you’re not hallucinating this? You still could be checked into the happy hotel, boy. You could be a drooling mess on the floor and you’d never-”

“No, no, no! No! She said help me, she said she’d be there... She would never let that happen.”

Falling over to your side, you stare off into the distance and count your breaths. “Rarity will be here. She’ll help me. I know it.”

Your doppelganger appears out of thin air and walks in front of you, leaning down so that you and him were eye to eye.

“And what makes you think that? What makes you think she hasn’t abandoned-”

“SHE WOULDN’T ABANDON ME!” you scream aloud. Shaking slightly, you feel hot tears run down your face. “S-She loves me... And I love her... Rarity w-wouldn’t do that. She promised.”

In the blink of an eye, your world shifts and you find yourself tied down to a bed that looked like the one you first woke up in.

“T...This isn’t real...” you groan out as you pull at your restraints. “I’m not here! I’m-”

“Medication time! Medication time!”

A familiar white unicorn walked through the door, wearing white scrubs and toting a tray of syringes. “Well hey there Fritz! How’s my favorite headcase doing?”

“Go away! You’re not real, you’re not the real Bones, yo-AAHHH!”

In one swift motion, he slams one of the needles into your shoulders and depresses the plunger. “We’ve had this conversation every day for the last ten years... You’re really here, Fritz. You really are.”

Closing your eyes again and gritting your teeth, you shut out every noise and start mumbling under your breath.

“I’m not here... I’m not here... She’ll help me... She’ll help me...”

“Going on about your imaginary girlfriend, huh? Well... Good luck with that. She wasn’t here the first day you said she’d be here, and she hasn’t come all these years later. Might as well just give up.”

“Shut up, shut up!”

You feel your eyes tear up again as the pony’s words dig into you. “Rarity will be here... She’ll help me.”

**************************************************************

He’s not getting any better...

But he’s not getting any worse.

Isn’t there anything else we can do for him?

I’ve given him sedatives to control the fits so he doesn’t hurt himself again, but other than that, I honestly don’t know without knowing what-

Doctor! There’s someone here to see you... A zebra. She says she needs to see you immediately.

Zecora?

You know her?

I do. She’s a friend of mine. I don’t know why she’s here, though...

...Send her in.

Zecora, why are you here? I mean... It’s not that I don’t want to see you it’s just-

News travels fast and I have heard, of the lovestruck mare with plans absurd.

I... Yes. It’s... It’s quite absurd... That... That bit-

Hold your tongue and listen well! I know what holds your loved one in this spell.

Wait, you do? How could you? I’ve run every blood test I could and I haven’t been able to find anything that could do this!

Dream Orchids plague his mind while poison joke leaves him blind... I must admit that the fault is mine. I gave the orchid to that swine.

Nurse Careheart... You gave this... ‘Dream Orchid’ to Nurse Careheart?

Why did you give it to her? You didn't know what she was using it for, did you?

She paid good money for the plant, telling that sleep she can't. On it’s own, the Orchid is tame, bringing sweet dreams for a pony to claim. I-

“SHE WOULDN’T ABANDON ME!”

...I thought you said h-he was sedated.

He is. Heavily, in fact. I... I don’t know how he’s talking.

Those would be the orchids making him see, a certain mare he thinks is absentee.

“S-She loves me... And I love her... Rarity w-wouldn’t do that. She promised.”

He...He’s crying.

I’m going to up the drip on his sedative... Rarity, keep an eye on him and call for the nurse if anything happens. Zecora, I don’t know anything about these orchids. I’m going to need you to tell me everything.

So then lead the way! Come now, your friend doesn’t have all day!

I don’t know if you can hear me... But I’m here, love. I’ll always be right here for you, no matter what.

**************************************************************

Looking up to the ceiling of the room again, you take a deep, labored breath and let it out slowly.

“Feels like there’s a weight on my chest...”

“And a weight on your mind... How about I mine your gray matter, darling?”

Glancing over to the side of your bed, you let out a tired sigh. “You’re not real. I don’t care what you have to say. You’re not Rarity.”

The white unicorn let out a giggle and placed a hoof on your chest, trailing it down slowly. “Ohh, come on, of course I’m real, darling.” The mare who looked like Rarity stared at you almost predatorily, a hungry smile on her face. “Just let it happen... No strings, no commitment. Just take me.”

You stare into her eyes, getting lost in them and smiling a bit. She looks so real... Like I could just reach out and touch her... As if on its own accord, your hoof just does that and starts to reach out for her. What if this is real? What if-

Your thoughts are cut short when your hoof rubs against her cheek and you don’t feel anything. No soft, warm feeling of her skin; nothing. If that wasn’t enough, the longer you stare into her eyes, the more obvious it became.

“Your eyes...” you mumble aloud, rolling back onto the bed.

“Yes, I know... They’re lovely, aren’t th-”

Throwing your head back and laughing like a madpony possessed, you look over to mare and cackled, catching her off guard and making her back up slowly. “They’re ugly! There’s no shine in them,” you scream out, still laughing out. “It’s like looking at some sort of doll that walks and talks... FACE IT! YOU’RE NOT HER AND YOU NEVER WILL BE!”

The Rarity look alike scowls and stomps over to the bed before lifting a hoof down and bringing it right down on your stomach, knocking the air out of you.

“Stop it! Just sto-”

Her hooves find themselves around your neck and start to squeeze the life out of you.

“Don’t ever tell me what to do,” she spits at you, her face not even an inch away from yours. “You’re nothing but a sniveling little wimp. You ca-”

**************************************************************

“-n do this... We’ll get through this together. So please, stop screaming... I’m here. I’ll always be here for you.”

Your eyes dart around the room, your mind having hard time processing where you were. “H...Hospital...” you finally mumble aloud. You try to take a breath, but it’s strained thanks to the Rarity look alike that was currently clinging to you and choking the air out of you.

“Let go of me, let go!” you scream out, putting your hooves on her chest and shoving her away. “Just leave me alone!”

Curling into a ball and burying your face into the covers, you half expect for her to lash out again. Sobbing aloud, you brace yourself. “Just leave me alone...”

Instead, you felt an uneasy hoof on your head that started running through your mane. “Darling? C-Can you hear me?”

You open your eyes slowly and look up to her. “Just go away...” you moan out as you hold your head. “I know you’re not re-”

You gasp out in surprise as you feel a pair of hooves grab onto your shoulders and yank you until you’re sitting upright and staring into Rarity’s eyes. “Look at me. I’m here. I’m right here with you.”

Blinking a few times, you gingerly reach out and run a hoof down Rarity’s cheek and she smiles at you, despite the tears.

Your mouth and throat go dry as you stare at her, part of you unable to accept it. “Please,” you half whisper, your eyes growing wet. “Please tell me you’re real.”

“I’m real, I’m real!” Rarity squeaks out before wrapping her hooves around you and hugging you tight. “I’m really here!”

You feel collapsing in her grip and cry into her shoulder. “Oh sweet sisters above, I never thought I’d see you again... H-How long have I been-”

“A little while. After the police brought you here, your doctor friend put you under... You’ve been asleep for about seven... eight hours.”

“It’s felt like days... Weeks, even.” You let out a little laugh and hold her even tighter. “So... What did Bones do to cure me?”

Rarity hooves run down your mane as she lets go of you before looking at you face to face. “D...Darling... He hasn’t done anything yet. He’s been talking to Zecora this entire time. To be honest, I don’t know how you’re awake right now.”

Your stomach sinks into your hooves as the realization hits you. “...Oh. W-Well... I think, uh, we should talk to him. Let him know I’m awake.”

“I’ll get the nurse, then.” Getting to her hooves slowly, lingering for a moment before letting you go and walking over to the dog. “I’ll be right back. I promise.”

You give her a weak smile and wave before curling up slightly. “I...I’m here. I’m actually here. That’s actually Rarity and-” Your gaze shifts to the IV in your foreleg and the drip bag it was hooked up. Instantly recognizing what was in it, you grab a hold of the tape and needle carefully and pull it out.

I don’t want to sleep again. Not now, not ever if I can help it...

Tossing it aside, you lean back slightly and let out a sigh of relief.

“Darling? I’m coming in with the nurse, okay?”

“It’s okay!” you call out, trying to put on a plastic smile.

The door opens and Rarity walks in slowly, the nurse on her heels. But not the nurse you were expecting.

“C...Careheart.” Your throat goes dry as Nurse Careheart looks to you with a wide grin before pulling out a pouch of bluish-green powder. “What are you doing here?”

She stops midstride and lets out a cackle that makes you stand up on the bed and back up away from her. “I’ve come to finish the job, what do you think I’m here to do?”

“GET HER OUT OF HERE!” you scream at the top of your lungs. “GET AWAY FROM ME YOU PSYCHOPATH!”

“Calm down, calm down!” Rarity cries out as she dives for you before you can make a break for the window. “You need to calm down, just listen to me!”

Your heart races a mile a minute as Rarity forces you to look at her. “Just listen. Nurse Careheart has been arrested and she’s being charged as we speak. She’s not here. That’s not her. That’s Nurse Redheart. Now say it.”

“I-”

“No, don’t even start. Repeat after me. ‘Nurse Careheart is not here. She’s not going to hurt me. There are three ponies in the room right now. Myself, Rarity, and Nurse Redheart.’ Now say it.”

Closing your eyes, you try catch your breath. “N-Nurse Careheart is not here... She’s no-not going to hurt me. There are... There are three ponies in the room right now! Myself, Rarity, and Nurse Redheart...”

“Just keep thinking that, okay darling?” Rarity coos into your ear as she reaches out, embracing you tightly. “And try to think of it like this... Would I really let Nurse Careheart into your room after what she did?”

It hits you and you nod slowly. “Y-You’re right... If she really would have tried to come in, you would have bucked her into next county...”

“Um, Rarity... Should I leave?”

You quickly whip around and find yourself staring not at Nurse Careheart, but Redheart.

“...I, uh... I...” you pant aloud, your heart pounding in your ears. Looking back and forth between Nurse Redheart and Rarity, you let out a laugh. “Kinda... Kinda silly now that I take stock of everything, huh? I mean... It’s silly. Thinking that... That Careheart was back here a-and...”

You don’t know whether it’s the stares both mares give you, just how real everything felt just a few moments ago, or the hoof Rarity puts on your back, but you can’t help but start sobbing out.

“It was so REAL...” you mumble out as you draw your legs into your chest. “I looked at her and she... she looked back. I talked and-”

“I heard the screaming!”

The door to your hospital room opens up and for a split second, you see your friend Bones before he changed right in front of you into the orderly from your nightmares.

He looks your way and flashes a devilish smile before turning to the zebra next to him, dressed in the same scrubs and wearing the same toothy grin.

The look on your face says it all and soon Rarity’s to her feet and galloping towards the door.

“Out, out, out, out!” she screams, pushing them through the doorway.

“Oh come on,” Bones says aloud. “We just want to play with him...”

“You can see him when he isn’t coming down from a panic attack! If you come in right now, you’re only going to make it worse!” Slamming the door, she turns around and lets out a heavy sigh. “Nurse Redheart? Can you please explain the situation to the doctor, please?”

“I’ll get right on that.” She shoots you a quick glance and a worried smile before disappearing out the door, leaving just you and Rarity in the room.

“It’s okay, darling. I’m here for you.” Rarity says before sitting down at the end of your bed. “How are you feeling?”

“I’m not gonna lie. I almost lost it there again...” Taking a deep breath, you move your back to the head of the bed. “I need to hear it again, Rarity... Please tell me this is real.”

Crawling towards you and wrapping her hooves around you, she rocks back and forth, whispering into your ear. “It’s real, darling... It’s all real. You’re here with me.”

You let out a sigh of relief and hug her back. “Thank you,” you half whisper before planting a kiss on her cheek. “You have no idea how that makes me feel to hear that...”

“I can gather a guess... But no, I don’t think I’ll ever know unless I experience it myself.” Adjusting herself, she brings her face to yours and looks into your eyes. “Or you tell me. Now darling... I want to help you. I really do. So when you’re feeling up for it, we’re going to sit down and we’re going to talk this all out and you will get better.”

All you can do is smile from ear to ear and lean in slowly, planting a kiss on her lips and making her gasp out in surprise. “I love you more than anything in the world right now... Wanna know why?”

“Why?” she asks with a little giggle before kissing back.

“Because... If anypony else walked into that room and said I’d get better, I wouldn’t believe them. So it means the world coming from you.”

Rarity gives you a smile and draws you in for a tight hug. “Get some rest, darling I-”

“No, no, no, no...” you say with a nervous laugh, shaking your head quickly. “I’m not going to sleep. Not after all those dreams and nightmares... I just...”

“We can talk about it if you want.”

You continue to shake your head and instead cuddle into Rarity, making her blush deeply. “I’d rather just lay here, if that’s okay...”

She goes quiet for a while and instead of saying anything, she starts running her hoof through your mane, making you smile.

This is real. This has to be real...

**************************************************************

“Come on... Come on...”

Tapping your hoof against the side of your bed again and again, you do your best to keep yourself calm. Calm down. Just calm down. She’ll be back any second now. She said she was going to just talk with Bones and be right back.

Glancing at the clock, you grind your teeth and tap a little faster. “Where is she?

As if right on cue, the door opens and you feel yourself calm down just a bit more. “So, what did Bones have to say?”

“Well...” Rarity says, glancing towards the floor. “There’s no bad news.”

“But?”

“But...” Letting out a heavy sigh, she sits down on the bed and takes your hoof. “But they don’t have a treatment. The only option on the table is to wait until this... Poison leaves your body.”

“Rarity, this thing will be the death of me!” you cry out. “I keep hallucinating things and it’s getting harder and harder to ignore them.”

Rarity leans forward, a concerned look on her face. “Are you seeing anything now?”

“No...” you say, shaking your head. “Not now. But I swear there was something on the ceiling around 20 minutes ago. But it didn’t scare me it just... The fact that I was seeing anything at all is the thing that really shakes me.”

“It must but hard... And Zecora said she was sending letters to her family back home to see if they had any idea what to do, but we must face the fact that, at the moment, we don’t have an easy way out for this.”

“Nothing’s ever easy, is it?” you say aloud as your run your hooves down your face. “Alright... Well... Let’s look at the positives, shall we? At least I’m not screaming anymore.” Letting out a dry laugh, you look down to the floor as you try to think of any other positives.

“Here’s another. I talked with the bank and they put a hold on the loan,” Rarity says with a small smile. “I had to chew out the bank manager and tell him it’d make quite a story about how they foreclosed on a stallion who was in the hospital and couldn’t work.”

“No, no, no, you didn’t...” you moan out in frustration. “Rarity, I-”

Rarity glares at you and utters a single, strong word. “Stop.”

Closing your mouth, she reaches out and grabs onto your shoulders.

“Don’t make any excuses, don’t make any promises. Don’t tell me how you’re fine and how you can still work. You don’t have to and I don’t want you to. All I want is for you to get better. Okay?”

You shake your head rub your brow. “I just... I just can’t stop thinking about how much of a let down this must be... I wanna do this to make you happy, and I feel like I’ve disappointed you if I-”

“You wanna know you make me happy?” Rarity asks sternly, her eyes starting to tear up. “By waking up and looking at me like everything is going to be okay after you’ve been dragged away, kicking and screaming to gods know where. And you know how else you can make me happy? Actually thinking about yourself right now and not me.”

By now, she was crying in earnest and before you can say a single word, she throws herself at you and hugs you tight. “I was s-so scared...” she whimpers aloud. “I was scared I’d never see you again when you were taken away and I was scared you wouldn’t be yourself when you woke up.”

Hugging back, you do your best to comfort her. “Well... I’m still worrying about you and I keep trying to do what I think will make you happy... Does that still sound like me?”

For a few moments, she’s dead silent and you feel a pang of worry your heart, but it soon disappears when she starts laughing into your shoulder. “Y-Yes...” she snickers aloud, wiping tears from her eyes. “Yes, that does sound like you...”

Breaking the embrace and getting to her hooves. “Well then,” Rarity says, straightening herself out and giving you a warm smile. “Are you hungry?”

The question alone is enough to make your stomach rumble aloud at you. “Ohhh yes... I’d love something to eat right now.”

Looking around the room for a quick second, she smiles when she sees the phone on the wall and trots up to it, pulling receiver off of its cradle and looking to you. “Are you in the mood for anything specific, darling? If you want, I can give your parents a call up. I’m sure they’d be happy to come by and drop off a home cooked Mecklesh meal.”

You smile for just a second before it quickly disappears. “Umm... It might not be the best idea for them to see me while I’m still... you know,” you say sheepishly. “The last thing I want to do is scare them if I have another... episode.”

Rarity nods slowly and bites her lip, looking lost and thought before her eyes widen and a smile appears on her face. “I know of this Misaki couple who moved in a few weeks ago and started their own little takeout restaurant. Pinkie was telling me about how she tried their ‘inari maki’ and how great it tasted. Would you mind if I ordered something from them?”

“Anything sounds good right now. But, yeah go ahead that-Wait, you said takeout? As in...” your voice grows a little quiet as you look to her, your cheeks growing red with embarrassment. “As in, you have to leave?

“Ohhh...” she says, her expression softening. “It’s alright... I don’t have to go out anywhere, I can just call up another place and have it deliv-”

“No, no, no. Rarity, I don’t want you to dance around me like glass or change anything you do just to make me feel better... Just place the order and go get it. I’ll just be here waiting for you.”

Rarity stares at you intently for a moment before letting a long breath. “Are.... Are you sure?”

You give her a single nod. She stares right back at you before letting out a sigh.

“Well... Alright.” She quickly starts to dial the phone and leans against the wall as you reclined back in your bed. “Hello, I’d like to place an order. Rarity. I’m sorry, but I don’t exactly have a menu in front of me, so- Ah, yes! Thank you. Mmhm.”

You simply look over to her as she continues to play and bite at her lip as she listens.

“Mmhm... Ohh wow, that sounds good... Well then, can I get two orders of that Sansai soba and... What was that first thing you said, again please? Ah! Yes, two orders of Kappamaki as well, please? Alright then, thank you very much.”

Rarity hangs up the phone and gives you a little smile before grabbing onto the doorknob. “I’ll be back in five minutes, ten at the most okay?”

You smile back and wave. “Okay. And thank you. For everything.” You blush when she blows you a kiss right before closing the door, leaving you with a smile and a warm feeling in your heart.

No sooner than she’s gone, the phone on the wall starts to ring. It rings a second time, a third, and by the fourth, you’re on your hooves and walking towards it. Maybe that Misaki restaurant is calling back for some reason... you think as you grab a hold of the receiver and bring it to your ear.

“Hello, this is-”

“I know who you are, you dummkopf.

Your throat goes dry and every fiber of your being screams at you to hang up, but you just can’t bring yourself to. Your own voice was coming from the phone.

This is NOT real... This is NOT real.

“What do you want?” you manage to squeak out.

For a while, the other side of the line is quiet but a shiver goes down your spine when you hear a low, deep laughter.

“You know... I think this is our best torture yet. Making you think you’re back with your beloved in Ponyville. It’s actually fun watching you blunder about, acting like everything’s schön und gut. Das ist ja schön und gut, aber... Come on. How long are you going to keep fooling yourself?”
[Translation: ...everything’s fine and dandy. That’s all well and good, but...]

“You’re lying! I know you’re lying, this is real and you’re not here I-”

“Umm... Are you alright in there?” you hear Nurse Redheart call from the other side of the door. “Do you want me to come in?”

Glancing around the room, you take a moment before hanging up the phone and walking towards the door and opening it slowly, only to find yourself staring face to face with Nurse Redheart. “I... I don’t know. I know I’m still, well... I’m just having a hard time getting everything straight in my head.”

“I’m not going to come in unless you truly want me to. So, if you need me for anything, you know where the call button is,” she says with a little nod. “And also... I just wanted you to know that we’re here for you. Me, the doctor, your friends, your family. We’re all here for you.”

“Thanks,” you say with a wide smile and a laugh. “Just gotta... Remember that I’m not in over my head and that I got ponies to lean on.”

Nurse Redheart gives you another smile and you smile back before shutting the door and taking a much needed breath. “Just gotta lay down... That’s all I need right now.”

Dragging your hooves over to the bed, you crawl in and sprawl out and stare up at the ceiling. “I don’t know if I can do this... At least now I see the temptation in psych meds... I’d do anything for a magic pill to make this all just go away...”

Bringing your hooves up to your face, you cover your eyes and try to relax, every muscle in your body still tensed since you answered the phone.

“Just gotta rest...”

**************************************************************

“Darling?”

Yelping aloud and flailing, you sit up quickly and look around the room. “I-What...”

“Darling, were you sleeping? Or did you not hear me the first time?”

Looking over to Rarity and the bag she held, the gears begin to turn and you manage a dry laugh. “I, uh... I guess I was. Did you just get back?”

“I did~” she says happily as she sets the bag down. “So eat up.”

Reaching into the bag, she pulls out two plastic bowls with covers and gives you one of them. “Sansai. Wild vegetable,” Rarity says as she opens her bowl and levitates a pair of chopsticks in the air. “It’s supposed to be good for you, or at least that’s Mrs. Itame said.”

“Mrs. Itame?” you ask as you fiddle around with chopsticks before setting them aside and bringing your lips to the bowl.

“I had a little chat with her while her husband was working on our order. She’s a very nice lady and I might just become a regular of hers.”

Swallowing a mouthful of broth and noodles, you let out a satisfied sigh and smile. “Well, next time you see her, tell her that her husband is quite the chef... This is really good.”

Rarity smiles back for a second, but it quickly fades and her eyes move towards the floor. “I... also talked with the doctor. He wants to keep you here overnight for observation. That’s not going to be a problem, is it?”

You hesitate for a moment and look down to your meal. “I... I don’t know. I honestly don’t. You won’t be here if I did, will you?”

“I already asked about that... I told him I could sleep in the waiting room and he-”

“No, no! You don’t have to do that for me, honest. I don’t want you messing up your back by sleeping in those chairs.”

“If you’ll let me finish,” she says in sharp tone. “He said that won’t be necessary. He’s moving you to the sleep lab to monitor your... umm... I think he said REM sleep patterns.”

You blink a few times in surprise and cock your head. “Did he say any idea why?”

“He said something along the lines of ‘thinking that your REM sleep might have something to do with the hallucinations’,” Rarity says as she sets her half empty bowl aside. “That means I won’t be in the same room as you. I’ll still be here in the hospital, but-”

“Rarity?”

She straightens herself slightly and looks into your eyes. “I’ve... I’ve been through a lot today. I really have. So go tell Bones to schedule the sleep test for another night.”

Rarity’s jaw drops slightly and her voice raises a level. “But darling! This is important, you can’t just reschedule.”

“I feel like a rope that’s just a few strands away from breaking. Rarity, I want to go home tonight and curl up in bed with you and just go to sleep and wake up with you holding me so I know everything’s alright. Is that so much to ask for?”

“I... Well...” A deep blush creeps up the mare’s face until she’s smiling from ear to ear. Leaning in for a quick kiss, she gets to her hooves and walks towards the door. “I’ll let him know. And hey, it might be good if he can go home and get a little sleep himself. He definitely needs it.”

“Yeah... Bones is a good friend, but he can overdo it sometimes.” In a snap decision, you get off of the bed and walk behind Rarity into the hall. “I want to come with you.”

She shoots you a nervous glance, but smiles and holds the door open for you. “Alright... Just remember, I’m here for you. Now... We’re just gonna walk down the hall and into the doctor’s office. He’s going to be sitting at his desk or have his nose buried a book and Zecora will be there with him. And they’re both trying to make you better.”

Taking a deep breath and standing in front of the door with Rarity, you repeat those words again and again in your head as you both walk in. Both the white stallion with the bags under his eyes and the yawning Zebra both look to you in surprise.

“Fritz! How are you feeling?”

You let out a sigh of relief and feel yourself start to smile. “I could be better, not gonna lie... But it’s good to see another friendly face.”

“So, I wanna get you in for a sleep study. I’ve been doing some research and some doctors are noticing a link between REM sleep and the mental condition. I-”

“Bones? I know. Rarity was telling me about how you want me to spend the night here and... Can we just do it tomorrow? I really, really just want to go home for now.”

The white unicorn opens his mouth to protest, but Zecora steps in and holds up a hoof before he can say a word.

“It’s easy to see he wants to leave with his love, this hospital he has grown sick of. Don’t you think it’s best to give him what he needs, while you rest and I search for new leads?”

“I’m fine, I’m fine. Really, I can-”

“Doctor?” Rarity says, stepping forward slightly. “Don’t you think you should get a good night’s sleep? You’ve been up for so long and you might not be thinking too clearly. Your judgement might be clouded.”

The white unicorn looks around at the three ponies just staring at him before letting out a sigh of defeat. “Welp... I know I when I’m beat. And you’re right. I really, really could use some sleep right now.” Getting to his hooves, he makes his way for the door and stops mid-stride before staring at you. “I wanna see you here tomorrow morning. No exceptions, no excuses. I’m not done, not by a long shot.”

“Sleep tight, Bones!” you call out as he makes his way down the hall.

“You should do the same, you two... I have a feeling there’s more to get through.” Zecora says as she follows him out. “Take care.”

Just as you watched the two make their leave, Rarity joins them and drags the tip of her tail underneath your chin. “Come on, dear. We’ll finish our dinner at home. And I think you’ll feel a bit better when you see what Sweetie Belle has made for you.”

Smiling bashfully, you follow her out the door and into the streets of Ponyville. “What did she make?”

“A get well card. She started making it when I told her you were in the hospital.”

“I’m sure it’s lovely,” you say with a little chuckle. You let out a long yawn and stumble mid-step before grumbling under your breath. “This isn’t going to be fun...”

“Something wrong?”

“Just... Not too optimistic about a good night’s sleep.”

“What do you mean?” Rarity asks, cocking her head at you. “Is it because of...”

“Yes and no. I’ll explain more when we get home.”

**************************************************************

“Ooooh... I am so full~” Rarity says with wide smile as she crawled into bed. “That soba was delicious! We really should order ou... Is something wrong?”

“I hate this feeling... I’m exhausted and want to sleep, but you know...” Stopping mid-sentence, you let out a long yawn before curling up under the sheets, lying on your side and looking over to Rarity. “I really just don’t want to sleep. Especially after all those nightmares.”

Reaching out and grabbing a hold of you, Rarity draws your face into her chest and plants a kiss on your forehead. “Even if you have those dreadful nightmares, I’ll be here. I’ll be here to let you know everything’s alright. Because I promised.”

You wrap your own hooves around Rarity’s midsection and squeeze her back, eliciting a giggle from her. “Good to know... I-”

You feel your whole body tense up as you hear a child laughing echo through the room.

Oh sweet princesses above... Now I’m hearing stuff from The Shining...

Rarity’s brow furrows as she looks around the room before taking a deep breath. “Sweetie Belle, is that you laughing?”

The laughing stops and you feel yourself start to laugh under your breath before dragging a hoof down your face. “Huh? Umm.. Yeah, why?” you hear Sweetie Belle yell back.

“Just try and be quieter, okay? We’re trying to get some sleep.”

“Will do!”

Turning back to you, Rarity nuzzles her cheek against yours. “Get some sleep, honey... You deserve it.”

Feeling yourself melt in her grasp, you lean forward and plant a little kiss on her cheek. “Love you.”

“Love you, too.”

Closing your eyes and letting out a long breath, you can’t help but beam.

Better to be here than hooked up to some machine... you think with a grin.

It isn’t long before you grow groggy and think less and less about what’s happened and instead drift off to sleep without a care in the world.