• Published 16th Jul 2014
  • 2,546 Views, 140 Comments

Angel Wings - SeasonTheWiccan



Angel Wings is your typical unicorn, at least that's what Ponyville thinks...but in truth, she hasn't told them everything about herself.

  • ...
6
 140
 2,546

Late Night Rescue

Angel sat on the couch in her living room the next morning drinking her hot cocoa thinking about what the doctor said she should do. She had to break her own rule and allow other ponies into her life, but the problem was that she was so out of practice in making friends that she wasn't sure she could do it. How could she approach anypony when she'd already built up walls around her? What would she say? What would she do? Would they even allow her into their lives? She finished off her cocoa and went to the kitchen to wash it, as she did, she looked out the window to see that the summer's sun was shining bright, no clouds in the sky at all; it was a nice day out. She dried and put the mug away and sat at the table with her head in her hooves for another half hour before she finally decided to stop sulking and thinking and go out and make an attempt to make some friends. As soon as the decision was made, she walked over to the door, opened it and walked out with a deep breath. She then closed the door behind her with her magic with a little struggle; she'd been noticing that it took her longer than usual to lift certain objects and close doors, because as the days went by, her magic was wearing down.

She then walked through the town nervously, all eyes glued on her as she walked by the citizens of Ponyville. She just wanted to shrink and not be the center of attention, she knew that there was probably a lot of gossip going around about her, she didn't know what they were and she honestly didn't want to know. She then spotted two ponies conversing with each other and weren't staring at her, one was a mint green unicorn with a green and white mane and a harp for a cutie mark and the other was an earth pony who was a very light shade of yellow with a pink and blue mane and tail with 3 pieces of wrapped candy for a cutie mark. They looked friendly enough, so Angel gulped and walked up to them.

Angel cleared her throat and the two ponies stopped their conversation to look at the newcomer, Angel then got nervous, "Umm...h-hi! I'm Angel Wings."

"Um, hello, I'm Bon Bon and this is Lyra Heartstrings."

"Hey, aren't you the pony who's been stuck in her house for the past month?" asked Lyra.

Angel cringed, "Um...I..."

Bon Bon harshly nudged Lyra, Angel could only say, "It...was nice meeting you!"

Angel then darted away, close to crying, 'I never should've come here!' she thought to herself.

As she left, Bon Bon glared at Lyra, "What did I say?" asked Lyra.

Bon Bon could only face hoof.

Angel soon grew tired of running and stopped in front of a tree converted into a house, she then saw the sign that read: 'Golden Oaks Library,' this lifted her spirits a little and she entered. The inside amazed her! It was as if somepony had carved a library inside the tree! The shelves were a part of the tree, the stairs, to the Celestia dang place! Angel shook herself out of her awe stricken state to look at the books they had, and was surprised to find some books that she'd never heard of before but sounded interesting. She also found some books that she'd seen before but never sounded that interesting to her, but looking at them now, she thought she'd might as well give them a look. She found one on Magical History, her favorite subject as a filly, she was immediately uplifted and dove right into the book. Reading about Starswirl the Bearded and other magical masters brought back so many memories, both good and bad but mostly good. The private lessons with her parents, because of her condition, she had to be homeschooled while in the hospital. Her parents had given up so much for her, their time, their energy, and their lives just to make sure she stayed alive. It was then, in the middle of the library, that Angel felt her first deep pang of homesickness. She missed the city, she missed Rose Red, and most of all, she missed her parents. With this homesickness, she began to cry on the book.

Twilight Sparkle was studying herself upstairs when she thought she heard someone sniffling on the first level, she closed her book and went downstairs expecting Spike to be there maybe with a cold, but what she saw was heartbreaking. Angel Wings was there but she wasn't jumpy or nervous or anything, she was crying. For what reason, it was unknown to Twilight. She walked over to Angel with a look of sympathy and levitated a tissue to the sobbing unicorn. Angel saw the tissue out of the corner of her eye and looked up to see Twilight with a look of genuine sympathy, Angel smiled and took the tissue gratefully, Twilight then offered her hoof to pull her up; which Angel took. Once on all four hooves, Angel dried her tears and threw the tissue away. Twilight put an arm around Angel and said, "Feeling better?"

Angel took a deep breath, "Much. Thank you."

Twilight smiled warmly at her, "Would you like some tea?"

Angel looked at her confusedly, "There's tea allowed in a library?"

Twilight laughed as she led Angel to the kitchen upstairs, "There is if the pony who lives here offers it."

Angel's eyes went wide, "You...LIVE...here?"

"I do, Princess Celestia assigned me to live here to study friendship."

"You know Princess Celestia?"

"I'm her student."

"Wow! So, I'm guessing you're from Canterlot then?"

"I am, I was born and raised there."

As Twilight brewed the tea, Angel couldn't help but ask more questions, "So...how long have you been here?"

"I was here a few months before you came actually,"

"Do you miss your family?"

Twilight brought the tea kettle and two teacups to the table where Angel was sitting, "Everyday, I try to visit when I can...I just can't find the time, we're both a long way from home, you and I."

"I'll say..."

Twilight poured the tea and gave the filled cup to Angel, who levitated two sugar cubes into her cup and sipped it.

"So...why were you crying earlier?" Twilight asked.

Angel hesitated before answering, "Homesickness...I was homeschooled and that was my favorite subject that I was reading."

Twilight listened intently, "So it reminded you of your parents?"

Angel nodded, "Yeah."

"Why not visit them if you're feeling so homesick?"

"I...um...well..."

"What?"

Angel said the first thing that came to mind, "I left because of a fight we had and I said I would never come back...so I can't."

'Why did I just say that?!'

"Oh...well...I know it's none of my business, but, I think you should at least reconcile with your parents. It's not doing you any good."

"I don't think I can...some REALLY bad things were said that neither of us will be able to take back."

"No parent can just up and stop loving their foal though."

Angel could only watch her hoof draw circles on the floor for 10 seconds thinking about the lie that she just told possibly her only ally when she heard Twilight gasp.

"Angel! Your nose!"

Angel's head shot up, "What? What's wrong?"

"Your nose! It's bleeding!"

"Are you serious?!"

"Yes!"

'Oh PLEASE not now!'

"Stay right there, I'll be right back with some tissues."

Twilight then ran down the stairs and was back within half a minute with a wad of tissues; using her magic, she brought it to Angel's nose. Angel took over by pressing her hoof on it and tipping her head forward.

"It must've been from all the crying," Twilight suggested.

"Yeah."

'If you only knew.'

After a few minutes, the bleeding stopped and Angel relaxed, she couldn't have Twilight know just yet. Angel removed the tissues from her nose and threw them away, Twilight then asked, "Angel, I was wondering if you would want to...never mind."

"What?"

"You're going to say 'no.'"

Angel cringed, she'd definitely made a mark for herself, being the secluded mare with a secret. The twist was that nopony knew she HAD a secret.

"What is it you're offering?"

"I...well...I was wondering if you'd be interested in going to Open Mike night with me and my friends at Sugar Cube Corner. I understand if you're busy and you don't have to say yes but..."

"Sure."

"I just don't think anypony should be forced into...wait, what?"

"I'd love to."

Twilight stared at her aghast, what suddenly brought this on?

"You're sure?"

Angel looked at her confused, "Yeeeaaahhh...."

"O-kay...we'll meet you there around 6:30 then, that's a half hour before it starts."

"Deal! I'll meet you there!"

Twilight nodded and waved as Angel left.



Later that night the Mane 6 were sitting at a round table covered with a white tablecloth, Twilight had already explained that Angel was coming and warned everyone to not intimidate her.

"Oooooh! A new friend!! I can't wait to get to know her and be one of her besties and we can have sleepovers and tell scary stories and..."

"Pinkie, calm down! The key is NOT to scare her away!" Rainbow said in an attempt to calm her down.

"Got it! I'll just be chill...calm..."

"Good idea."

"Now who is this pony?" asked Rarity.

"She's the new unicorn that moved here 3 weeks ago, she's wasn't exactly sociable."

"Oh! You're talking about dear Angel Wings! Such a pretty unicorn, too bad she's been locked up in her charming little house though. What could she possibly be doing in there that nopony should know about?"

"Well, I'm not even sure of what it could be...but she'll tell us when she's ready I guess."

Fluttershy then silently spoke, "What time is she supposed to meet us?"

"6:30...why?"

"Oh...um...Twilight...it's 6:20."

"What?!" Pinkie exclaimed. "Did she make a Pinkie Promise to be here? I will find her if she made a Pinkie Promise and intends to break it!"

"Pinkie...1...she did not make a Pinkie Promise, she doesn't even know what that is! And 2...there's probably a perfectly logical explanation why she's - "

"Here!" came Angel's voice from behind them.

"Angel! Glad you made it!" Twilight exclaimed.

She then saw the others she had also met and two others she hadn't met before since she'd been here. A butter yellow pegasus with a rosy pink mane who just waved at her shyly and a drop dead gorgeous white unicorn with a perfectly styled purple mane and tail. Angel was actually a bit self conscious to be in her presence right now, back in Manehattan, all the stallions would be fawning over her and not paying any attention to Angel.

"Umm...hi?" Angel said shyly.

"Hello Angel Wings! I don't believe we've met, I'm Rarity and this is Fluttershy."

'Fitting for both names!'

"Hi."

She sat down in the empty seat between Twilight and Fluttershy as Mr. Cake stepped up onto the makeshift stage.

"Good evening everypony, we have a great line of acts for you tonight...but...there is one spot open. So anypony who would like to perform tonight please - "

"ANGEL WINGS WOULD LIKE TO SING!!" Pinkie shouted at the top of her lungs.

Angel blushed and hid her face as the others either groaned or face hoofed.

"A-angel Wings! Well! THIS is certainly a surprise! Would you like to come up first?"

Still hiding her face, she felt as if she wanted to dissolve into the floor, it wasn't that she had a terrible singing voice that she was scared to go on stage. She didn't like the fact that she was put on the spot for it, she would've refused but then she would've been forced by the audience anyway.

"Ummm...sure...yeah..."

Angel began to get up when she was stopped by Twilight, "You don't have to do this."

"I know but I'll be forced by the rest of the audience, I have no choice."

She then continued to the stage when Twilight asked Pinkie in whisper, "Why'd you do that?"

"You said she's wasn't really social! I thought it would make her more social!"

"Pinkie, we're trying to do this gradually!"

"Ooooh! Sorry!"

As Angel stepped onto the stage, she could hear the whispers from everypony in the audience; it made her want to faint. Mr. Cake then gave her the microphone, which she levitated with her magic with ease since it was lighter than a door.

"So what are you going to sing for us?" asked Mr. Cake.

"I...uhh..." she stammered, until she saw one pony in the audience. Big Mac. And for some reason she felt a lot calmer looking at him, like every burden she carried was gone. She then took her eyes off of him and answered, "Only Hope please."

Mr. Cake nodded then nodded to a small purple and green dragon at a piano, "Fillies and Gentlecolts! Ms. Angel Wings!"

Only the Mane 6, Big Mac, Derpy and Dinky applauded. The dragon then started playing the opening notes, Angel gulped and began,

"There's a song that's inside of my soul

It's the one that I've tried to write over and over again

I'm awake in the infinite cold

But you sing to me over and over again."

Angel began to grow more confident as the first verse went by and she went into the chorus,

"So I lay my head back down

And I lift my hooves and pray

To be only yours I pray, to be only yours I know now, you're my only hope."

Spike played the brief instrumental as Angel looked at the Mane 6, their jaws were to the ground in amazement as was the rest of the audience. That was enough for Angel to feel more comfortable on stage,

"Sing to me the song of the stars

Of your galaxy you dancing and laughing and laughing again

When it feels like my dreams are so far...sing to me of the plans that you have for me over again

So I lay my head back down. And I lift my hooves and pray

To be only yours I pray, to be only yours I know now, you're my only hope."

She then heard a violin from one of the contestants, she looked to see a grey earth pony eyes gently closed as she played. Angel smiled as she continued,

"I give you my destiny

I'm giving you all of me

I want your symphony

Singing in all that I am

At the top of my lungs!

I'm giving it back!

So I lay my head back down

And I lift my hooves and pray

To be only yours I pray, to be only yours I pray to be only yours, I pray to be only yours I know now, you're my only hope."

Angel then gently closed her eyes and hummed until the song was over and the last notes on the piano were played. She heard the applause and opened her eyes with a smile, Twilight and the others were applauding wildly while Big Mac stood there dumbstruck! He thought she sang like a bird! A foreign bird that he'd never heard of before, but once you heard it's singing, you didn't know how to describe it. Her voice was velvet smooth and flawless, someway, somehow, he would have to ask her out. But his shoulders dropped, after that performance and the amount of stallions in the audience and in the wings seeing her beauty that she was clearly unconscious about, she'd probably be getting plenty of knocks on her door for offers. She'd never turn her head for a simple farm pony, he'd have to do something extravagant to get next to the likes of her, which he didn't have the expenses or time for.

After Angel sat down the show went on, the acts of singing and dance routines and stand up comedy were very impressive, but it was clear that Angel stole the entire show. But, Angel's attention was on a group of 6 stallions two tables away from her, they were drinking cider and pointing at her with plotting smiles and one of the stallions who was a golden color with a brown mane was even winking at her. To make clear that she wasn't interested, she turned her head away from them and didn't look at them again. Once the show was over, it was 9 PM and dark out, Angel began to get up and said, "Thank you for inviting me Twilight, I would like to hang out with you guys again, even though the beginning of the night didn't exactly...go according to plan."

Twilight looked genuinely embarrassed, "Angel, I am truly sorry about that..."

"It's no problem, at least I have the town won over!"

Twilight giggled.

"So, you'd like to be in our company?" Rarity asked.

"Yes."

"Phew! THAT'S a relief! Good thing Pinkie didn't scare you off!" teased Rainbow.

"Sorry, but you're not getting rid of me THAT easily."

They all laughed together at her joke.

"Well, it's getting late, I'd better head home."

"Do ya want one of us ta cum witcha? Ponyville can be perty dangerous at night," Applejack asked with a hint of concern.

"I'll be fine, besides, if I do run into something I don't want you to be involved as well. Plus, I'm from Manehattan, I know how to get myself out of a sticky situation."

"Well, as long as you know what you're doing..." Fluttershy said slowly.

"I do, trust me."

"Well, alright, how about breakfast here tomorrow?" Twilight suggested.

"Sounds great."

"Well, good night then."

"'Night."

Angel went through the crowd to get to the door, she was halfway there when she tripped over somepony's hoof. She fell to the floor and heard a deep voice say, "Sorry, ya okay there?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," she answered while trying to get up.

"Here let me help ya there."

She felt a hoof take hers and pull her up, she looked into the face of the stallion who helped her and blushed when she saw Big Mac.

'I'm blushing...WHY. AM. I. BLUSHING?!?!? We only talked like, what? Twice?! I shouldn't be blushing!'

"T-thanks, um...good evening to you."

Big Mac was stunned that he was speaking in full sentences now, he only spoke that way with his family and select members of Ponyville. It had been that way since his parents died, but right now, was it him just showing hospitality or something else? But something he did know was that his face was hot, did everypony see his expression right now?

"Big Maaaaaaac...." he heard his sister call.

He saw her and her friends, all with knowing expressions on their faces. Well, that answered his question. Meanwhile, the stallions that were two tables away from Angel and the Mane 6 passed by them and went out the door.

For some bizarre reason, Angel found it difficult to navigate Ponyville in the dark. She was taking an hour trying to get back home, she even began silently talking to herself, "Okay Angel, just breathe, nothing has happened to you yet...knock on wood."

She was then looking at a store called 'Carousel Boutique,' she knew better than to bother somepony for directions so she pressed on and hoped for the best. She entered the town limits and turned down every street with no luck, it was now 11 and Angel was now inwardly FREAKING out. She then heard hoofsteps coming towards her, she looked up and saw a figure coming toward her through the mist, she relaxed at the fact could ask somepony for directions without interrupting anypony's sleep.

But then the single figure turned into three, they were the stallions from Sugar Cube Corner. Not wanting to take a risk, she turned around and walked away hoping to shake them off, she walked for a half hour with them still on her trail when she thought she finally lost them but then she heard them behind her again and turned a corner and skidded to a stop. The place she ended up at had no other exits, she was in an alleyway where the end was blocked off by the other 3 stallions, she finally realized that she was being herded. She gulped and tried to think of a way to escape as the stallion said in a drunken voice, "Hey we saw you at Open Mike!"

The others then joined as they closed in on her, one giving her a cat whistle, and the others saying, "Hey beautiful, where ya going?"

"Hey where're you going?"

"Come with us baby!"

"We'll show you a good time."

They were now circled around her, "Huh? You want a piece of me?"

Angel was trying to pull every piece of self defense out of the deepest part of her mind in her panic; trying to think and panicking don't exactly mix well.

'Okay, hooves apart, hoof thrust upward...hopefully, breaking his nose or putting it into his brain...hoof to the groin...SHUT UP!!'

It was when one of the stallions started rubbing her back with their hoof that she gave them a warning, "Don't touch me!"

She said it in a voice that was supposed to sound strong and fearless, but it sounded like a kitten trying to be a lion.

"C'mon, you know you like this baby!" he said as he continued.

She then spun around and said forcefully, "I said don't touch me!"

She then punched him in the face sending him backwards as the others grabbed her and began pulling her to the ground, "Let me go! Get off of me!" she shouted.

She shouted, cried and called, hoping that they would do so; when they didn't, she felt that she was doomed now. And it was when she was close to giving up that she heard a familiar voice, "Get off of her, or answer to me."

Angel looked up and saw Big Mac.

'How in the name of Tartarus?'

Gradually they got off of her but one of them challenged him, "Oh, and what're YOU gonna do farm boy?"

Big Mac just replied simply, "Go home Caramel, yer drunk."

"No way Mac, what're you gonna do huh? Buck an apple tree over my head?"

The others laughed drunkenly, meanwhile, Big Mac was clearly losing his patience. He grabbed Caramel by his hair and said through gritted teeth, "Now listen here, go home and ya can keep yer job at Sweet Apple Acres and Ah'd better not catch ya doin' sumthin' like this again...if you do, you. Are. SACKED. Got it?"

"Got it," he said with genuine fear in his voice.

He then let him go, thinking Caramel got of easy, Big Mac then kicked him in the groin and said calmly while Caramel howled in pain, "Yeah and I hope they're dead," he then turned to Angel, "C'mon, let's getcha home Angel."

Angel then got up and sprinted to Big Mac who gave an evil glare to Angel's assaulters as they left. When they were out of hearing distance from them, Big Mac asked the million dollar question.

"Angel, answer this, 'cuz Ah'm just curious...Are ya ASKIN' for a death sentence?"

"Look, I had everything PERFECTLY under control."

"Oh! Ah could SEE that as they pinned ya down!"

"Excuse me Mr. Macintosh, but I didn't exactly ASK to be saved."

"Well excuse me fer not askin'! Mah apologies MA'AM! Ah mean, NORMALLY you ASK before ya save somepony's life! MAH BAD MA'AM!"

"Are you mocking me?"

"No, Ah'm statin' what ya just said, THIS is mockin'...Ah'm Angel Wings! Ah stay in mah house all the time 'cuz Ah think Ah'm better than everypony else just 'cuz Ah'm a stuck up Manehattan pony! And when Ah go out Ah'm just askin' to be the damsel in distress!"

Angel was now boiling mad.

"THAT ma'am...is mockin.'"

"So you think you have me all figured out huh? I'm stuck up?"

"Well Ah..."

"That I think I'm better than everypony else?"

"That's just the r-"

"That I'm just BEGGING to be the cliche damsel in distress?!"

"Uhh..."

Big Mac was now looking very nervous, he just ticked off the mare that he had a crush on, 'You rock Mac. Woo hoo.' he thought to himself in a dull sarcastic manner.

"Well let me tell you THIS Mr. Macintosh, I'm not one who is stuck up first off. I actually loved volunteering back in Manehattan, anywhere I could, in my spare time...that's what I did. Secondly, I don't view myself as being superior to anypony! If I did, I would've insulted you the from the first moment I saw you! And thirdly, I'm not one to be classified as a damsel in distress sir. I've taken goons bigger than them in Manehattan."

"Oh yeah? What'd ya do? Lecture 'em ta death?"

"Watch it Big Mac! Or one day you might find a pear in your sister's mouth!"

"You. Wouldn't. Dare!!"

"Try me!"

That pacified Big Mac for that moment until he saw her home; they walked in an angry silence the entire way there. Once there, Angel sighed in relief and walked up to the door and was about to take the key from under the welcome mat when Big Mac cleared his throat. Angel rolled her eyes and unlocked her house as he continued, "Anything ya would like ta say? Starts with a 'T,' ends with a 'U.'"

Angel opened the door and stepped inside, she then thought of a response to frazzle him a bit she turned around and said to his face, "Alright, if it's a thank you that you want...here it is...Thank you Mr. Macintosh for saving my flank. NOW GOOD NIGHT TO YOU SIR!"

She then slammed the door with such force that the only word to escape Big Mac's mouth was, "Ouch."

Big Mac turned and headed home, wishing he could take the words he said back, he now knew that he blew it. He just blew all chances of possibly dating her.

Author's Note:

Song that Angel sings in this chapter: Only Hope by Mandy Moore