• Published 30th Oct 2011
  • 3,298 Views, 23 Comments

Gaming Bender - Eclipse



The ponies discover why some Humans are lazy...

  • ...
5
 23
 3,298

What are these 'Video Games'?

Rarity was just working as usual, working in complete and utter silence; being that Sweetie Belle was off on a school field trip. She found it much easier to concentrate now that her rather annoying little sister was gone; but she found herself calling into the empty room forgetting Sweetie wasn’t inside of them. Though her sister annoyed the hell out of her, she was still her little sister; and she loved her very much, no matter how Rarity reacted to what Sweetie did, she envied her little sister’s adventurous little mind. She couldn’t help but smile at the thoughts that her sister was happier than she was; that’s how she liked it. Sweetie was still young; Rarity did everything in her power to give Sweetie whatever she wanted, but Rarity was under a lot of stress from work. Sweetie Belle was not making it any easier on Rarity either; her constant antics in trying to find her special talent drove Rarity up the wall, but she appreciated that her little sister was making herself known.

Rarity sighed having just finished an order and now had nothing to do; she’d remembered that she’d seen an advertisement on her T.V. for video games. She didn’t really know much about video games, she thought they were just for colts and air-headed stallions to get out of work and going outside. But she did hear that they were a nice little thing to have to curb your boredom; though she didn’t know about them she decided to go out to the local electronic store, a small family owned business at the edge of Ponyville. Nopony ever really went there except stallions, and Rarity was embarrassed that she was actually thinking about going into that store, let alone purchasing something from that store. Rarity shook her head, “What in Equestria am I thinking? Stooping to such a low level for simple—Forget it, I’m getting those games; can’t believe I’m saying this but this boredom is dreadfully unbearable.”

Rarity sighed as she turned off her light to the boutique, and casually left; getting spotted by the charismatic pink mare named Pinkie Pie. “Hey! Rarity, you haven’t come out of that boutique for a while! I thought you like went poof or something, like ‘I’m just doing a dre—‘ POOF!” Rarity giggled at the random pink mare as she continued her crazy, random rant. “Oh, oh! Or you got eaten by zombies! Like on Foalout where those ghouls come out and attack you; THEN EAT YOU!” Rarity jolted back as Pinkie demonstrated it eating her flesh. “But you’re okay, so apparently NONE of that happened; and that makes this rant seem quite redundant now. I never knew I knew big words like that! I surprise myself sometimes; anyways, where ya’ goin Rar’?” Pinkie asked getting increasingly close to Rarity making her feel uncomfortable.

Rarity let out a nervous chuckle, “Oh n-nowhere, j-just going out to get some extra fabric. Yes! Extra fabric, that’s my story, and I’m sticking with it!” Rarity said her voice changing pitch nervously as Pinkie looked at her puzzled. Rarity sighed, “Okay, don’t tell anypony, but I’m going to the electronics store; I’m going to buy some video games to curb my boredom while Sweetie Belle is on that field trip. It’s embarrassing, so don’t tell ANYPONY WHATSOEVER.” Rarity said her voice stern and prissy as always; as if she was commanding an army of prissy zombies to invade the world or something.

Pinkie gasped, “YOU’RE FINALLY JOINING US! YES YES YES YES! WE KNEW THIS DAY WOULD COME SOON! OH WE’RE SOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU RARITY!” Pinkie said hugging Rarity tightly, getting a baffled look from the white unicorn. “When you buy it, get Modern Warmare! And Modern Warmare 2, and Portal! You’d absolutely looove Portal! Half-Life is pretty fun, but that’s a computer game; get Foalout 3! Oh oh, and New Haygas; I love that one! I mod weapons then I kill everypony in the New Lunar Republic, and the Celetials. I don’t like either side in that game; they’re all a buncha meanies! There’s a Celestia that’s just so corrupt and mean! So I snipe her everytime! I snipe Luna too, but sometimes it’s fun go hoof to hoof in combat with her! But their troops are such a bitch to defeat; so I find it easier to snipe her from a distance.” Pinkie was getting overly excited into this game, so Rarity cut her off the nicest way she knew how.

“Pinkie dear, please calm down. It’s just a game okay, no need to work yourself up telling me every little detail about it. I’ll find out on my own I suppose, the game does sound pretty interesting; I’ll give it a look just because you want me to.” Rarity sighed as Pinkie hugged her tightly once more, Rarity letting a small grunt of surprise. “Okay dear, and what you said earlier; who exactly did you mean by we knew you would join us?” Rarity asked getting a smile from Pinkie.

“Me, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Apple Bloom, Caramel, Big Macintosh, Mayor, sometimes Luna, sometimes Celestia, but Celestia and Luna are such campers! They always say, ‘It’s not camping if you’re using sniper rifles,’ but yes it is! You’re still not moving and that makes you a camper! I can’t play on the same screen as Caramel, he’s a screen watcher; I can tell because I found a glitch that makes you invisible, and he still found me! I mean come on! And in Haylo when he kept finding me on split screen I quit playing split screen with him; but damn is he good on a seperate screen too! He’s always quick scoping me, knifing me, he’s not even camping like at all! I was surprised he beat me with a 8:3 kill to death ratio! I had a 5:9 kill ratio, he’s one hell of an online player; I just got Foal Ops, I buy new games and tell everypony if it’s worth buying or not. Not sure when I became the official tester of the group, but if I don’t like it; I guess they think they won’t like it either. If you want a game you’ll enjoy, you might want to start with Modern Warmare and Modern Warmare 2; those are tons of fun, plus you can play online with us! Won’t that just be absolutely fantastorific!” Rarity was lost, she hadn’t understood much of the terms that Pinkie used in that sentence.

“I’m sorry Pinkie dear, I do not really understand anything you’re saying; what kind of random lingo are you using this time dear?” Rarity asked as Applejack started trotting up beside them, after seeing Pinkie bouncing around happier than usual. “Oh hello Applejack dearie, how are you today?” Rarity asked the orange mare as she approached the two.

“Aw nothin’ just been buckin’ apples all darned day; mah poor back hooves are killin’ meh! Ah was just comin’ over here ‘cause Pink seemed happier than usual.” Applejack said turning to Pinkie who still had a game bag poking out of her saddlepacks. “OMG! YOU GOT IT! Woooowee! Ah’d never think you’d actually snag a copy! That there’s tha most anticipated game in all of Equestria! Pink, ya gotta tell us if it’s good or not! I’ve gotta get a copy then, Ah’ve been waitin’ for that there game for a couple a months now; oh when you’re not palyin’, ya think I can borrow it. Or maybe I can come over and me and ya’ can play split screen; I wanna see what the killstreaks are on this one! This one’s the sequel to ‘Equestria at War’ right?” Applejack asked Pinkie, Rarity still looking utterly lost as the two mares kept talking; their mouths spouting out words and phrases she didn’t quite understand.

Rarity interrupted once again, “Girls, I’m sorry but I’m absolutely lost; I have no idea what in the world you two are talking about. I would expect this type of hype from Pinkie; but you Applejack?! That goes against everything I know about you! Would you two girls be so kind to explain just what you girls are talking about?” Pinkie and Applejack giggled at Rarity making Rarity blush that the two were laughing at her; which didn’t exactly make her feel too good about herself.

Pinkie gasped again, a sudden realization rushing back into her head, “Applejack! Rarity is going out to buy a console; Isn’t that great Applejack! She’s finally going to join us after sooo long we’ve waited for her to! I mean you can clearly tell I’m excited! I mean I’ve only awaited the day Rarity joined us; next we convert Twilight! She should be pretty easy, I’m pretty sure she’d like Foalout; perhaps Oblivion, because there’s all of this magical stuff on there!” Pinkie was bouncing again to be stopped by Applejack putting her hoof on her shoulder as Pinkie’s bouncing came to a halt. “Oh, right; I need to go home and check the status of Ponycraft, see how the other users are doing. I just updated the creepers to where if you hit them they’ll follow you and explode! Doesn’t that sound so superfantastorific!” Pinkie said bouncing off giddily, giggling as she made her way back to Sugarcube Corner, leaving Applejack and a lost Rarity in her wake.

“Wow, I’m so confused right now I’m sure it’s not even funny anymore; Applejack darling, please would you explain to me what’s going on here?” Rarity asked getting a small chuckle from her calm and collected southern sounding friend

“Well Rar’, If you really are goin’ ta’ start video games; I think you’d really want to start soon. I ain’t gonna hold you back none, actually, I’m gonna rush you. Now you shoo, and go get yourself some; before I come back and drop kick the teeth out of yer mouth. Y’all have fun now!” Applejack said smugly leaving a slightly cringing Rarity on the ground smiling awkwardly, just wanting this day get over with; before something else random happens.

Rarity got up and wiped herself off; her mind was still processing the turn of events that had just unfolded, and eventually shook it off and headed to the electronic store, trying to avoid further delay by anypony. Unfortunately Rainbow Dash didn’t seem to care; she went up to Rarity anyways, making a face at her as she flew through the air over her until finally grounding herself next to Rarity.

“What’s up Rarity? Going out to buy some new make-up or something?” Rainbow Dash said jokingly as Rarity made her way past her; and Rainbow Dash followed suit shifting along with the white unicorn. “Hey! I ain’t done talkin’ to you yet! It’s totally uncool to ignore me like this Rarity! I know that you think I’m an arrogant prick, but come on!” Rainbow Dash kept following the annoyed unicorn until she finally gave Rainbow Dash a death stare. “Whoa, that’s somthin’ I haven’t seen before… Rarity, come on, I know you don’t like my attitude but this is no way to treat one of your friends man!” Dash snapped at her.

Rarity stopped and sighed, “Dear, it’s been a very long day; I’m just going out to purchase some… errr… entertainment for myself.” Rainbow Dash snickered as Rarity shot back. “NOT THAT KIND OF ENTERTAINMENT! WHY DO YOU HAVE SUCH A SICK MIND?” Rarity yelled at Rainbow Dash making her laugh harder than before. “Dash, you seriously must have mental problem; I still really encourage you to get checked out dear. Now if you would, I’ve got video games to purchase.” Rarity said, the very words she used sounding foreign even to her.

Rainbow Dash fell on her back and stopped laughing and just now stared blankly at the unicorn; who gave a puzzled stare straight back to her. “Video games? Wow Rarity, I’d never ever think I’d be hearin that you of all mares, would be going out to buy Video games!” Rainbow Dash got up and hugged Rarity tightly; she’d never thought she’d ever be so sick of hugs in her entire life. “You are learning to not be so prissy aren’t you! So, what game are you going to buy with it?” she asked calmly.

Rarity looked at Rainbow Dash as if she were now a whole different mare, “Well, Portal, Foalout 3 and New Haygas, Modern Warmare and Modern Warmare 2. I suppose I’ll pick up a copy of Foal Ops today also. There seems to be quite the hype surrounding that game; not sure what to really think yet though. I suppose once I actually get a glimpse of the selection they have, I’ll make my decision then; but for now can I please get to where I’m going before I really start to get pissed off?” she said as Rainbow dash pulled out a pad and pencil and began mouthwriting a note and gave it to Rarity.

“Those are our gamertags, don’t lose them Rarity; and if you get a copy of Foal Ops, I will envy you. One of the most demanded games out there right now. Good luck trying to get a copy; and if you do, let me borrow it. I wanna noob tube some sons of bitches!” She said laughing then flying off, leaving Rarity mystified by her gaming lingo, but just brushed it off and kept walking on.

Rarity was bombarded from above by a sudden hit knocking her sideways and a small voice coming moments later. “Oh, i-I’m sorry Rarity, I didn’t mean to bump into you. I’m just on my way to… ummm… The store…” Fluttershy said, her voice as meek and tiny as ever. “Please forgive my clumsiness, I-I’ll make it up to you somehow; on an unrelated note, what are you doing out in this part of the city. There’s really nothing out here you know…” she said lowly.

Rarity picked herself up, “I should be asking you the same question; this part of the town harbors some shady characters. I suppose you should come with me then; the best thing we can do is…” Without a moment’s hesitation
Fluttershy was right next to Rarity, almost touching her. “…Stick, together… Okay then dear. Now, where are you headed; I’ll be sure to get you there safely.” Rarity asked her voice as calm and collected as ever.

Fluttershy ducked down, “Um… I’ll go wherever you’re going…” Rarity shot a look at the shy yellow Pegasus, “I’m going to the electronics store, and Pinkie told me Foalout is pretty good. That and Battlefield, so I’m going to pick those up… I’m trying to also secure a copy of Foal Ops; I had it pre-ordered, I’m going to pick that up as well. I’m, um, going to try and see what killstreaks I can use; I also hear the shoties are actually old model weapons. I’m going to noob tube some ponies online; then use my killstreak to knock them down to size! I wonder if they have the predator missiles in this, if not, something at least remotely similar to it.” Rarity looked at Fluttershy confused that this shy Pegasus was using the same dialect of lingo that everypony else was. “Rainbow Dash is a major noob tuber; but hell is she good at it. Won a buncha matches like that; I’m good at knifing and quick-shot sniping. Celestia and Luna are campers, whenever they join; everypony else tends to leave the server. Though they are losing that habit; I don’t really feel like getting camped on by those two, it gets pretty aggravating after a while.”

Rarity stopped Fluttershy, “Dear, I have no idea what you’re talking about; now please can we get there so I can buy what I want and get out. I seriously have no idea the lingo; and I probably will never understand it anyways.” Rarity said getting a sheepish smile from Fluttershy.

“Oh sorry Rarity, I’m just excited is all; I’ve been waiting for this game since it was officially announced!” Fluttershy said, making Rarity roll her eyes and smile. “The lingo is just shortened words, and phrases we gamers use in the game; I guess we gamers basically made up a whole other language. This online gaming is huge though, there’s bound to always be at least a hundred ponies online; but try not to let winning get to your head too much. These ponies are pretty harsh, their words are meaningless; but cold as ice nonetheless.” She said as Rarity finally started understanding what she was saying.

“Aha, I think I get it now; alright, how’s about me and you play a match, When I get the system of course.” Rarity covered her mouth with her hoof, after just divulging what she was in this part of town for. “Well, I guess the cat’s out of the bag; I’m going to buy some games. I know it sounds pretty silly coming from me, but I’ve found with Sweetie gone; my life is dreadfully droll. So I’m looking to liven it up a little with some mental stimulation; wow, I can make things as fun as video games sound as boring as common homework. I really need a hobby; I really, really need to curb my boredom now, it’s eating away at my mind now. So can we please move on and continue contact another time?” Rarity said rubbing her head.

Fluttershy stopped, “Yeah I suppose without somepony around life can get pretty dull; but video games fixed me. Though now I’m addicted to the damn things and will play for hours at a time. I suppose that’s what you get though; you find something you like you get attached. Trust me, you’ll be having all night gaming benders in no time. But maybe tonight we can play Foal Ops; granted if either of us get a copy in the first place.” She said shyly then smiling. “Now let’s just pop on inside and see.” She said as she pushed the mare into the electronics store.
Shelves and shelves of electronics, the shelves overrun with mountains of games, computers, stereos and much more that Rarity hadn’t even heard of! This place had absolutely everything that a pony could ever really ask for, comfort. Fluttershy was approaching the counter, as the mare looked back at her with a smile. “Ah yes, Fluttershy; your preorder is in, is there anything else you want?” the mare asked calm and collectively with a smile plastered on her face.

“Um, yes, I’d like a copy of Battlefield and Foalout 3 and New Haygas; I’ve heard those games are pretty fun. I’ve heard the replay value on Foalout is amazing also; you could play through different times and never get bored, so many quests to do, so many possible outcomes to situations.” Fluttershy said getting a smile from the mare behind the counter once again.

“Very well, that will be approximately, ninety bits; would you like to use your card today ma’am?” the clerk asked as Fluttershy shook her head.

“No thank you, I’ll pay for these up front this time; I don’t want to rack up my bill to so high I could never pay it back.” Fluttershy gave the clerk the ninety bits and took the bag the clerk levitated to her and happily moved away and then pushed Rarity up to the counter. “Go on Rarity, remember, and just ask casually if you don’t want to ‘ruin your reputation’.”
The mare behind the counter smiled, “And what may I get you today ma’am? I’ve never seen you in here before, so you must be a newbie gamer; I’m, sure you’ll find the games quite to your liking. They provide hours of entertainment on those days where you just feel bored completely out of your mind; plus if you aren’t sure about a game, I can give you the gist of the game and my honest opinion on the game. Though opinion alone shouldn’t make up your mind; but I’m here to help you, all you have to do is ask me.” The mare said smiling once again.

Rarity gulped, “I would like a console please, and Foalout 3, New Haygas, Haylo, Foal Ops, Modern Warmare, Modern Warmare 2, Portal, and I’ve hear Half-life 2 is pretty good.” She said feeling rather awkward to be asking about all of these games; the worst part is she knew it was going to cost a fortune to get all of this. “And I want all new, I won’t take refurbished or used games! I deserve better than so!” Rarity said prissily getting a chuckle from the mare behind the counter again.

“Okay, okay. That all comes out to 346 bits; would you like to pay for that all up front, or would you rather start a charge account and we’ll charge it to that so you won’t have to worry about it? I’m sure we can work out some sort of payment plan that fits you.” The mare said her eyes sincere, the violet colour staring into her very soul.

Rarity took a breath, “I’ll set up an account I suppose, though I don’t see myself coming in very often; but I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to make an account anyways. I feel kind of weird buying these things though; you see I’m a pony of the highest kind! A unicorn with a taste in fashion! Which most of Ponyville, unfortunately lacks in. But my time will rise, perhaps on day.” Rarity said sighing.

The mare chuckled, “Alright name?”

Rarity looked up, “Rarity,” she said calmly.

The blue mare wrote down on a slip of paper, “Place of Residence?”

Rarity cleared her throat, “Carousel Boutique,” she replied

The blue mare continued writing and scanned a card and gave it to Rarity, “This is the charge and discount card. It will help us keep track of how much you owe, what you pre-order, and your buying habits so we can suggest games you may like.” The blue mare smiled again her smile was beautiful, white, and straight; giving compliment to her face perfectly.

“Thank you,” Rarity said grabbing the unnaturally heavy, even with her magic, bags that she struggled to levitate; having never really levitated more than a pound or two. “Have a nice day ma’am.” Rarity said leaving the shop with a giggling Fluttershy right next to her. “I suppose I’ll see you later then Fluttershy?” Rarity inquired softly as Fluttershy nodded and took off to the skies without notice.

Rarity unlocked her door and set down the bags, noticing a small headset coming out of the bag and a note that read, ‘Your friend seems nice, and you might need this to communicate with her online though. The Clerk~ Jesslyn.’ Rarity smiled and began setting up the system, and after putting in the information, she sat down in a chair in front of her T.V. “Well, I guess I’ll see what all the fuss is about…”