• Published 12th Apr 2012
  • 1,693 Views, 93 Comments

My Little Wendigo: Mutilation is Fun - Gothic_Novel



A work in progress. A zombie-like illness has overtaken Equestria, and only a few remain unchanged.

  • ...
10
 93
 1,693

Chapter 9

Time itself was left to drown in molasses. Seconds stretched into minutes as the lethal sphere burrowed its way ravenously through Applejack's shoulder. A telltale mixture of blood and saliva fled from her mouth in a loud, wordless cry. She stumbled backward from the shock and force of the blow, simultaneously numb and at the very peak of agony. The guard rail connected with her back, but she scarcely noticed as she was sent plummeting headlong into the acrid pit of her own constructed Hell.

The seconds that had become minutes now stretched into hours. How long had she been falling? It felt to Applejack as if she had been airborne since time immemorial. The air hissing in her ears like some dreadful serpent was overshadowed only by the harsh ringing of the shot that had sent her careening into this aerial Purgatory. Despite the seeming length of her drawn-out descent, its ending still was sudden. The breath was wrestled from her lungs by the trodden earthen floor, her blood coaxed out of hiding by the teeth of her victims that bit with a venom beyond any mortal poison. For these shattered vessels had once been her friends and innocent neighbors, and they injected her now with the guilt of their untimely murders.

As the viscous fiend of memory stole repellently into her consciousness, a figure from above barred the meager light access to her face. With the sight of what was, only days before, her little sister staring without seeing into her very moral core, Applejack was struck with the full impact of her actions whilst enslaved by a mind gone horribly mad. The depravity that had hurt so many finally dissipated from her mind like a fading miasma, leaving a residue of sorrow, shame, and paralyzing regret.

"Oh," she whispered hoarsely.

It was the last word ever spoken by the Element of Honesty.
____________________________________________________________________________________

The survivors stood in a daze, entirely stunned by the events of the past few minutes. Fluttershy sank to her knees, struck dumb by what she had just done. She was only vaguely aware of Derpy swooping down to the floor below to rescue her captive daughter. Tears spilling down her face, she could only stare at the barbaric instrument that lay in her quivering hooves. Some small, alien part of her felt pride at the bold way in which she had protected her friends- no, her family- from danger, but every other cell from her mane to tail screamed of the horrible cost. The only thought she could even hope to form was the same single word, over and over again. Why?

Her gaze lifted slowly as a hesitant shadow fell upon her. Big Macintosh stood awkwardly before her, visibly shaken by the ordeal. He glanced nervously at the Hooves pair, then motioned for the rifle, which Fluttershy relinquished immediately. She couldn't stand the sight of it any more.

Big Macintosh swallowed anxiously and licked his lips. His eyes burned with the total anguish of a pony who has lost everything he ever loved, and still must lose more. "Y-ya'll should get out of here," he stammered anxiously. "Ah'll... be there shortly."

There were simply no more tears left to spring to Fluttershy's eyes as she realized the broken stallion's gruesome intentions. She nodded somberly, then motioned to Derpy, who clutched Dinky tightly as they descended to the ground below.

There was another loud crack from within the barn.
________________________________________________________________________

Big Macintosh tromped solemnly down the ladder, trembling. He had left the rifle in the barn, unwilling to touch it any longer. He shuffled his way to his friends silently, head lowered, eyes distant. Derpy nuzzled his side sympathetically.

"...A-are you all right?" Fluttershy asked, too exhausted to cry anymore.

Big Macintosh sighed. "Nnnope... But pity won't help us none right now." He stretched stiffly. "We should get some sleep, rest up. We'll figure things out in the-"

His suggestion was cut off by an eerie, ghoulish howling. Attracted by the noise, a group of roughly a dozen wendigos materialized from behind the barn. Their eyes had the same blank, dulled look as the rest, and drool hung in strands between their teeth as they approached the survivors by listening for their heartbeats.

"Celestia banish these freaks... Get behind me!" Big Macintosh roared. The mares and filly did as he said.

Suddenly, a bright flash of violet light cloaked the entire valley, rending the sound barrier with a tremendous noise.

The effect on the wendigos was even more astonishing.