• Published 4th Jul 2014
  • 1,457 Views, 30 Comments

I, Dragon - Psychomaniac



Princess Celestia has asked for a representative from our kind to establish a relationship between our kingdoms and species.

  • ...
4
 30
 1,457

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I wake up to the sound of distant splashing. First things first, I do some fishing. I catch a few big ones and enjoy my breakfast. Now to address the goings on around me. I move away from the sound and investigate my surroundings. I spot a log in an unoccupied area of the lake and swim under it.

Changing my form, I poke my head above the water and scan my surroundings. I am clear of the area where the activities are taking place. I see multiple families playing in and near the shore of the lake. While this is not uncommon for a nice summer day like today, I cannot help but feel a bit put out with this invasion of my “home.”

It takes a moment to crush that thought. I must remember I am a guest in these lands. While collecting myself, I didn't notice my log had started to drift towards the crowded beach.

I hear a whistle. “Hey buddy! You okay out there?” I hear somepony ask.

My eyes widen and I quickly dive beneath the surface. I had hoped to integrate myself gradually into this village. Now it seems I must meet a few of the locals a bit sooner than I planned. I spend a few minutes collecting myself when I realize something important.

I have been underwater for over three minutes.

Ponies cannot breathe underwater.

I hear splashing above my head and shake my head in frustration. It seems I have several would be saviors above me. I swim towards shore and casually step out onto the beach unnoticed. Several onlookers with concerned looks are staring out across the lake at the group of ponies circling my log. A few dive under but obviously come up without finding me.

I make my way over to one of the locals. “Is everything alright?” I ask.

“There was a colt with a blue mane on that log. He went under and hasn't come back up,” she replies.

“Oh. Any other features that you noticed?” I ask, grinning.

She looks at me and says “Yea, his coat looked light yellow in color and…” She goes wide eyed and stares at me. I fly out to the searchers and land on the log, laughing the whole way. Some of the searchers tell me to help them find me.

I reply “Why? Am I lost?”

I now have everypony’s attention.

The group stare up at me and start groaning. They turn back and swim to shore and I fly after them. Play resumes now that the crisis has been resolved. I take off and fly back towards Ponyville. Down below, I notice a pink mare waving at me. I circle around and land next to her.

“Hi!” Well. She sounds chipper.

“Hello,” I reply.

“Are you new here? You must be new here! I know everyone in this town and I don’t know you so since I don’t know you you must be new and since you’re new I can meet you for the first time! Isn’t this exciting?! Ohmygosh I gotta get started on the preparations! Oh! And you’re young! So you must have family here that’s new too! WOW! I haven’t gotten to greet an entire family before! Where is your family?”

I retract my previous statement. There is a pony who can live underwater. She is standing before me. She doesn’t seem to need to breath at all. I am pretty sure she can live wherever she wants.

Wait, didn’t she ask me something?

Oh, yes, my family.

“I haven’t seen my parents in years. I am sure they are well though. Are you okay?”

I notice her mane starting to deflate from its puffy, curled state to a straighter, longer look that appears sadder somehow.

“You haven’t seen you parents in YEARS? But, but…”

I shake my head. “It’s just our way. Upon entering juvenile age we are expected to make our own way in the world. We do gather from time to time but it’s very infrequent,” I state.

“Hmmm… Okay!” She immediately perks right back up, her mane springing back to its previous bounciness. “Oh! I’m Pinkie Pie! What’s your name?”

“I ahh, I don’t have a name at this time.” I say, scratching the back of my head. She looks at me with awe.

“Could I… Can I give you a name?” she asks, a bit more timidly then I would have thought she was capable of.

“I guess?”

She gasps loudly. Well. It seems she does need to breath after all. Or maybe she is just doing it for dramatic effect.

“SPARKY! Sparky Sparky Sparky Sparky, SPARKY! I am gonna call you Sparky cause Sparky is your name cause that’s what I named you! Sparky!” She laughs and throws her hooves around me. I have no idea how, but somehow I am knocked backwards. I really think if she had a mind to, she could have picked me up and squeezed the life out of me. As it was, it was everything I could do to not fall on her. I don’t know what would have happened. This bundle of pink energy seemed content to just strangle me for the time being though. In my panic, I allow my form to slip.

“Whoa! You’re HUGE!” Her hooves slip from around my now much larger neck and she laughs with glee.

I look down at her. She looks up at me, grinning so wide her face must hold another dimension just to contain it.

I shift my form back and just stare at her. “How long have you known?”

“Since I saw you in the lake. That was an awesome prank by the way. You really pulled it off back there. What’s your secret?”

I smile at her. “Being able to breath underwater helps. It was my revenge for them invading my space. I’m glad somepony got a laugh out of it at least.”

“HA!”

“So, why Sparky?” I ask.

“I dunno, it just seems right. You look like a Sparky. And now you are a Sparky! I’m glad you’re a Sparky!”

“It’s a good fit, Pinkie Pie,” I remark. I turn towards a tree and jolt it with a small bolt from my mouth. The bolt of lightning dissipates against the trunk of the tree without causing any real damage.

“Wow! Neato! Can you do that again?”

“Well, I can only do that a few times a day. When I do it while maintaining a different shape, It drains me even faster. I am trying to get to know everypony slowly and it’s best if I can keep this form for as long as possible.”

“So who already knows you’re here? Oh! Lemme guess! Does Twilight know?”

“She was the first pony I met actually,” I reply.

“Well, if Twi knows, that must mean Spike knows too! What did you think of him? Ohhh, and what did he think of YOU?! You must be the first dragon he’s met that wasn’t a total bully! Didja like him? Huh? Huh? Didja?”

“We got along great Pinkie. I met him just before I met Twilight. He will grow into a fine dragon one day. I will actually be teaching him a few things while I am here.”

“Cool! Will you teach him to ROAR?!”

Whoa. Where did that come from? I start looking around for the manticore or hydra that must have stumbled upon us, but it’s just me and Pinkie. I turn back to her.

“Something wrong, Sparky?”

“Well, I just heard you make a sound any dragon would be proud to make. Well. I gotta fly. Nice meeting you, Pinkie.”

“You too, Sparky. See ya later!”

She then bounces off towards town, leaving me alone with my thoughts. I take back to the air. I drift along with the wind currents for a bit before landing back at the tree castle. On the door, I see a sign.

I have stepped away for a while to take care of a few errands. I will probably be gone for the rest of the day. To the new visitor to our town, please stay out of trouble. If you like, you can go meet your main caretaker in a cottage near the Everfree Forest. You will be looking for a yellow pegasus named Fluttershy. She can be very nervous meeting somepony for the first time, but I believe you two will get along great.”

Twilight Sparkle

Well, it seems I have my first assignment. This should be fun.

I fly around until I spot a lone cottage by the Everfree Forest. I see nopony around so I decide to relax and see if I can do this meeting in my natural form. I lay down near a small bridge over a brook. I close my eyes and before I know it, I’m asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I awaken a little while later and look around. The first thing I see is the yellow pegasus I was told to find. She utters a quiet “Eep!” then runs into her home and slams the door. Funny thing, I have never heard a door slam so quietly.

At least she wasn’t screaming in outright terror.

I let out a yawn and stretch my back, then take up my pegasus form. I walk over to her door and knock.

“Umm, go away, if you don’t mind. Please?” she gently requests.

“That’s fine. I will be out here when you are ready to talk.” I go back to my spot and lay down again.

I don’t change back this time. A few hours later, I see her peek out of her door. I make no move and neither does she. Noticing the number of animals around, I try something.

Now for a bit of knowledge on polymorphing. My ability to take other forms can include any animal ranging in size from a regular dog to a minotaur. I can even assume the form of a certain bipedal, mostly hairless member of the great ape family. However, they have not been seen in millennia, and I have no desire to reintroduce them to this society. I am sure wherever they now reside, they have no interest in our activities, and I shall extend the same courtesy to these ponies.

Somewhere in town, a mint green unicorn sniffs at a seemingly lost opportunity.

I change my form to a young bear. She widens her eyes and lets out a barely audible gasp. I chuckle, which in this form sounds like rapid grunting. I try another. This time a very large tortoise native to my home country. She throws open the door and is on me in seconds.

“I have never seen such a big tortoise before. Can they really get this big?” she asks.

I resume my pegasus form and nod. “Where I come from they are rare but can be found on an island far off the coast. The sea turtles grow even bigger.” I answer.

“What about that first form I found you in?” she asks.

“No, that is actually me.” I relax to my original state and stand before her. She gasps and backs away slowly.

I immediately lower myself to her eye level. “I promise I won’t hurt you. I was told to come here by Princess Twilight Sparkle. You were to be assigned as my caretaker while I reside here. If this is a problem, I can leave.”

“Twilight sent you here? Oh. Umm, it’s just a lot to take in. I will be okay. I just, umm…”

“Fluttershy! I’m sorry! I meant to come here sooner!” I stand and look down the road and see Twilight running towards us. Behind her is a familiar blue pegasus.

“Hello Rainbow Dash. I see you are moving better since last night. Were you stuck on that cloud for long?” I ask.

She glares at me and growls. She lowers herself down, looking like she is ready to pounce. I just stand there grinning at her, my mouth full of large white daggers.

“You didn't have to shock me like that!” she exclaims. I just shrug and look at her.

“My siblings and I would often play catch with ball lightning. I caught your bolt so thought you would like to try to catch mine. My aim was a bit off, though. It’s funny, I never missed before. At least it struck your cloud. Next time you want to play, just let me know. I would be more than happy to give you another jolt.”

“That’s enough, you two,” the resident princess says.

“(S)he started it!” Rainbow Dash and I exclaim together.

“Enough! Both of you! I just… Gah!” Twilight is looking pretty upset now. Better back off. I sit back on my haunches. Rainbow still looks like she is at a simmer, but doesn't look like she is ready to jump at me anymore.

“Alright, you…” Twilight begins, pointing a hoof at me.

“Sparky” I interrupt.

“Come again?”

“Just call me Sparky. Somepony came up with it a little while ago. It fits and I kinda like it, so Sparky shall be my name while I reside here.”

“Alright, Sparky. Who came up with that anyway?” Twilight asks.

“Pinkie Pie did!” shouts Pinkie Pie as she jumps out from behind me. I swear, she wasn’t there a moment ago. “I got to name him because he let me! I never got to name somepony before! Or somedragon in this case. It was incredimazing! I mean awesocool! I mean fantabulriffic! I mean SQUEE!”

Whoa, now that was adorable. I have no idea what that sound was, but I will do anything I can to get ponies everywhere to make it.

“Yea, it is pretty neat to name one. I remember naming Spike. Alright. So, Sparky. What was I gonna say?”

“Are you freaking kidding me?!” chimes in Rainbow Dash. “So we’re just gonna let this dragon waltz around OUR Ponyville like he owns the place? Well there’s no way buster! All dragons are bad news. Plain and simple.”

“I see. So Spike is…” Twilight deadpans.

“I… Uhhh… I mean… That is…” Rainbow stutters

“It helps to take your hoof out of your mouth when you speak,” I comment.

“Stop, Sparky,” Twilight commands.

“I’m afraid I can’t this time, Princess. This needs to be said.” I get up and walk over to Rainbow Dash. To her credit, she doesn’t back away from me, despite me being in my true form. If anything, she readies herself to possibly attack. When I am about one of my lengths away from her, I stop and sit down again.

“I am not here to cause trouble. I was requested to come here so our respective species can learn from each other and possibly forge a relationship between our kingdoms. It was left up to me whether I wanted to come here. I chose to come here, far from my home, from the seas I love, to help establish this relationship.

“I am here until I am dismissed. I am free to leave at any time I choose should I so desire. After all, you could sooner move a mountain then force a dragon to do something against his will.”

Fluttershy meeps behind me. I turn my head to look at her and see she is blushing profusely. I shake my head and turn back to Rainbow.

“I can’t wait to hear your stories from before my arrival. It would seem all of you have had quite a few adventures. In the mean time, I am not going anywhere. I will do my best to not cause trouble. I may have a mischievous streak as wide as I am, but none of my pranks will have a lasting effect.”

Of course now is when my stomach would choose to make its presence known. A loud rumble sounds forth from my abdomen, causing a lot of the local fauna to poke their head up and look at me. Several dart off while the rest remain still, hoping I will overlook them for my next meal. A quick glance at the sun confirms it has been many hours since I last ate, which had been light anyway. I can pack away a few hundred pounds of food on any given day. Even more when using my polymorph skill. I get up and turn away from Rainbow Dash.

I walk back over to Fluttershy and calmly sit down again. “The animals here are under your protection, correct?” I inquire.

“Umm, yes. I cannot have you eating the local animals, If you don’t mind,” she replies.

“Okay then. What about the local rivers and lakes? I have already eaten a few fish, but I think if I were to eat my fill, the local population would soon be wiped out. I doubt this is acceptable for either of us.”

“OHH No! You are not cleaning us out buddy! No way, no how!” I hear from behind me.

Ignoring the outburst, I calmly wait for Fluttershy’s reply.

“A few fish are fine, but yes, please try to limit yourself. No more than 5 adult fish per day?”

“Alright, agreed. I don’t suppose there is a place to get seaweed around here? Kelp is one of my favorites.”

“Some of the local restaurants import it from the coast. I can talk to them about who their suppliers are,” Twilight states. “What about gemstones? I know Spike loves them. What about you, Sparky?”

“OOOOOooooooo. I could make him sapphire cupcakes like I do with Spike! In fact, I’m gonna go get started!” Wow, from what I know of Pinkie Pie, she was remarkably quiet this whole time. She bounces down the road back towards town.

“Huh. Well, yes. Amber and sapphires are among my favorites. They restore quite a bit of my magic too.”

“Well then. That settles your dietary intake at least for now. How are your accommodations?

“Funny story about that actually.” I proceed to tell her about my morning prior to reading her note. Thankfully, both Fluttershy and Twilight laugh at my antics. Behind me, I hear a frustrated grunt. Rainbow looks less than pleased.

“I’m outta here,” she states. She takes off straight up in a maneuver I could only dream of pulling off. I haven’t flown that well since I was a lot younger and smaller. Even my pegasus form would have a difficult time accelerating straight up like that, and that’s only if I change my true mass.

“Wow, that was pretty impressive,” I remark.

“Nah, that’s just Rainbow being Rainbow. She is actually in the Wonderbolts Reserves for now, but someday she will no doubt join their active duty roster,” Twilight informs me. “She has actually performed a stunt long thought impossible. Breaking the sound barrier is one thing, but being able to pour out enough of your magical energy to actually create a Sonic Rainboom is no small task. She can pretty much do it at will now.”

“A Sonic Rainboom? Wow. I never would have believed a pegasus could pull it off. I myself haven’t done one in the better part of a century. I am much too large now, of course. I can get in the air just fine still, but I am long past the age when I could perform those kind of stunts.”

“You were able to do stunts?” asks Fluttershy.

“Oh yes. All young dragons have an incredible amount of magic and wing area for their size. As we get older and larger, our ability to fly diminishes. The ancient wyrms almost never fly if they can avoid it. Fortunately, as we age, we are better able to ride thermals and glide.” I extend my wings. “As you can see, I still have a pretty decent wing to mass ratio. I will still fly as well as I do for another 5 or 6 centuries, then it will become a steady decline of ability. But enough of that! FOOD!”

“Oh! Right!” exclaims Twilight. She leads us back into town as I assume my pegasus form. It’s tiring, but I can maintain it for the time being as long as I don’t overexert myself. It will be nice to get some food in my belly at last.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She takes us to a seafood restaurant that is enjoyed by the local pegasi. The first thing I notice are the chairs. They will present a problem. I cannot adjust my weight at this time, and if I sit in one, it does not stand a chance of holding me. Fortunately, I have a solution.

“Twilight, I have a problem. I think it might be an easy fix for you, but it’s kinda embarrassing.”

“What’s wrong, Sparky?” She asks. She sits down and stares at me, expecting me to take my place at the table.

“What do you think will happen if I were to plant my 15 ton rear end onto this chair?” I ask back at her, grinning. They say it’s bad form to answer a question with another question, but I just couldn't resist.

She gawks at me, realizing my problem. She chuckles, then laughs at me. She then directs my attention to the other patrons. “Sitting in a chair is optional here. You can even request a pillow if you want. Some pegasi bring in a small cloud to sit on. It’s one of the reasons I selected this restaurant. Please, have a seat.

Sheepishly, I move the far too weak chair aside, and take a seat on the floor. Given my tough “skin,” I have no need for a pillow. I see other ponies sitting on the bare floor as well. I pick up the menu and gawk at the prices.

“I should have brought my hoard. This place is outrageous!”

Twilight chuckles. “Actually, I get a discount due to being royalty. I have to force them to take my bits as it is. I guess I shouldn't be surprised but it’s always embarrassing. I’m just not used to being a royal still.”

“You mean you weren't born into royalty?” I inquire.

“Oh, no, my immediate family are minor nobles, and my older brother is a prince by marriage, but until recently, I was a normal unicorn. I was granted my wings just a few months ago when I finished an ancient spell which created new magic. It was sort of like a test from my mentor, Princess Celestia.”

“Oh, Twilight, normal is not the way any of us girls would have described you,” remarks Fluttershy. “Your talents have always been extraordinary.”

“Thanks, Fluttershy. Anyway, don’t worry about the prices. My weekly stipend is more than I can usually spend anyway. I do set some aside in case of emergencies, which by the way, happen far more frequently around here then you would realize, but a good deal of what I receive goes to local charities and to rebuilding our library. The loss of all those books…” A tear escapes her eye at this.

“The loss of knowledge is never a good thing. If I ever have need to go to my hoard, I have some old tomes with whom I could part. It’s always been my belief that knowledge is always to be shared, never hoarded. I have been looking for a reason to pass them on. I believe I have found a worthy place for them.”

“Oh thankyou thankyou thankyou!” I am now being all but smothered by a very happy alicorn. I had guessed she would be happy with my donation, but this? I could get used to this. We dragons are usually solitary creatures until we take a mate, and even then it would just be the pair that stays together. Even offspring would leave the nest after a mere quarter century. It’s not uncommon to visit your elders, but it is usually long and far between, and the visits themselves are never long enough but at the same time too long. For ponies to get along as well as they do is something from which we dragons could learn much. Complete strangers with no familial bond working side by side to benefit a community. We have much to learn indeed.

The waiter comes and takes our orders. Twilight gawks as I order basically the whole menu. I would try to hold back, but I am famished and my magic reserves are dwindling. I devour the shrimp appetizers when both Twilight and Fluttershy both decline to partake in any. Our first courses arrive (my own being decidedly larger) and we tuck in. I manage to keep pace with both Fluttershy and Twilight, and somehow not make a complete mess of myself or the surrounding area.

“I did agree to pay this time, however next time, I think you should buy, Sparky,” deadpans Twilight. I do see a hint of amusement on her face, so I don’t feel too bad about my overindulgence.

“Actually, that brings up something I have been meaning to talk to you about anyway. I would like to earn my way around here. I do have a decent range of skills so finding work shouldn't be too much of a problem. I would prefer to be out of the way though. If I overexert my magic, I form may falter and it may lead to a shock should anyone be around when and if that happens.”

“You could, umm, help me with my animals, if you like I mean,” offers Fluttershy.

“I would love to help you, Fluttershy, but I don’t believe they would like my assistance. They will always see me as a very large predator. I may earn their trust with time, however, it cannot be rushed and I need something sooner rather than later. I thank you for the offer though.

Our second course arrives, once again my own several times larger than my two companions’ respective orders. As we continue eating, Twilight divulges her plan.

“I actually was visiting Applejack prior to going to Fluttershy’s cottage and finding you there. I asked her if she was needing an extra hoof on the farm. She agreed, although she is skeptical about taking on a pegasus. I informed her you would be far stronger than most pegasi, but I have not told her of your true nature as of yet. I thought we might go there after we finish dining.”

“That sounds ideal. I look forward to meeting her then. And next time we dine here, it would be my honor to treat.” I state. We continue our meal with stories from their past. I am intrigued with Fluttershy’s story of staring down an elder red dragon and getting him to pack up and move for his Great Nap. I am surprised the dragon chose to nest in Equestria at all. They usually prefer a more temperate climate. From what I know of the weather here, even with the control the pegasi maintain, a snowy winter is still preferred. Still, I am glad he chose to move without much fuss.

We soon finish our meal, and leave for Sweet Apple Acres. It will be nice to earn my keep while I stay here. I probably shouldn't have gotten complacent though. This visit would be anything but smooth.

Author's Note:

I added a few tongue-in-cheek references in here. It was a real joy to have some fun with Pinkie here. Her enthusiasm and energy are going to be a pleasure to write. I find one rule to writing Pinkie is, it has to be fun. If you are smiling while writing her part of the conversation, you are doing it right. I will be getting to the next chapter soon, but this will be written at my pace as I can. Until then, thank you for your time. As always, I welcome critics and comments.