• Published 28th Jun 2014
  • 1,862 Views, 24 Comments

Tall Tales' Not-So-Secret Shipfic Folder - Tall Tales



A collection of bad fan fiction prompted by the Twilight Sparkle's Secret Shipfic Folder game.

  • ...
20
 24
 1,862

Common Burn [Trenderhoof, Rarity]

Rarity quickly decided Braeburn would be exactly the right stallion to go with in that he was basically a much louder, even more annoying version of Applejack, with the added benefit that he wasn’t Applejack.

— Sparks Fly

Afternoon tea was a usually relaxing affair, with delicious snacks and hot drinks. It was even better with pleasant company, which Rarity made a point in having. Sometimes, however, afternoon tea was not for relaxing but rather to provide an atmosphere of relaxation that made it easier to converse about difficult topics.

“You must get over Applejack, Trend,” Rarity said and took a dainty sip of vanilla jasmine tea, its complex aroma and delicate taste a soothing companion to their discussion.

“So you’ve told me.” Across from her, Trenderhoof levitated a fork containing a piece of apple scone into his mouth. He chewed, rolling it around his tongue to fully appreciate its full flavor before swallowing. “It’s not that easy. She was—is one of a kind.”

“I won’t argue with you on that. She’s my marefriend, after all, but it’s simply unhealthy for you to adore somepony who’s already in a relationship.”

Trenderhoof looked at her with exasparation. They've had this conversation several times before. “I know, and yet continue to feel the same. Surely you understand.”

“I do," Rarity said and put down her teacup. "That’s exactly why I’m not holding your infatuation on my marefriend against you. But please, Trend, try to move on. Perhaps see somepony new? ”

Trenderhoof shook his head. “I’ve tried. I’ve certainly felt attraction towards other ponies since then, but I remain fixated on her. It’s not fair to anypony when I begin to compare them to Applejack.”

Trenderhoof, Rarity had discovered, was a romantic. They both were, but Trenderhoof invested much more in the value of sentiment and not the ideal of romance. If he couldn’t give his whole attention to somepony, then he would rather not try.

Which was what made this so difficult.

Rarity mused and took another sip of tea. Vanilla and jasmine was such a delightful blend; both were fragrant and sweet, yet each had its own complexities. They were similar, but it was their subtle differences that set them apart.

An idea struck her.

“What if we’ve been going about this the wrong way?” Rarity said, putting down her cup of tea. “It’s not that you are fixated with Applejack in particular, it’s that you have a preference for her type. After all, you knew little about Applejack before you were smitten with her.”

Trenderhoof had always enjoyed anything that was uniquely different from himself and admitted as much. Rarity could certainly see the appeal in opposites, having succumbed to it herself, but Trenderhoof’s entire lifestyle was dedicated to finding things that were different. When faced with somepony so different, so opposite to himself, it was only reasonable that he develop an attraction.

“That does make sense,” Trenderhoof reluctantly agreed. “So you’re suggesting I try to find somepony like her? That’s exactly what I’ve avoided doing.”

“Which hasn’t been working,” Rarity said pointedly. “All I’m suggesting is that you have a preference for a certain kind of pony.”

“I suppose I could try, but I’ve never met a pony quite like her.”

An idea formed in Rarity’s mind. “I gather you haven’t been to Appleloosa then.”

“Appleloosa? No, I’ve never been there. It’s a recent settlement and I’ve mostly spent my time travelling to older places with more history.”

“Then I suggest you go. It’s a simple town, but I think you’ll find it charming.”

And there’s somepony there I’d like you to meet, Rarity thought to herself. If Applejack was opposite to Trenderhoof, then Braeburn was even more opposite, if such a thing were possible. The stallion was nice enough, but loud and unrestrained.

Trenderhoof made a show of thinking about her suggestion, snacking on another scone.

“I’ll take care of the arrangements,” Rarity offered when Trenderhoof seemed to be undecided. “You’ll have somepony to greet you and show you around town. You can think of it as a vacation.”

“Alright,” Trenderhoof finally said. “I suppose I couldn’t refuse and it would be nice to spend time somewhere I don’t have to write about.”

Rarity smiled, making a note to ask Applejack to send her cousin a letter. Afternoon tea was always so satisfying.

Author's Note:

Card: Nothing in Common; Perfect Anyway