• Published 26th Jun 2014
  • 4,101 Views, 103 Comments

Sunset's Locked-On Love - 00RaiserGundam



Realizing their feelings for each other was only just the beginning. Now, the newly crowned princess Sunset Shimmer, and Lockon Astros will have to travel together down a new path that neither one has taken before on their own; The path of love.

  • ...
23
 103
 4,101

The Best Night Ever (For Sure This Time)

Sunset Shimmer was beyond excited. Tonight was the night of the Grand Galloping Gala. She and all of her friends had been preparing for this night, and now it was just a few hours away.

Rarity had managed to use her persuasive charms to convince enough stallions in Ponyville to be able to pull two carriages all the way to Canterlot Castle. The Mane Six were riding together in one carriage wearing their original gala dresses while Sunset, Lightning Dust, Lyra Heartstrings, Minuette, Twinkleshine, and Lemon Hearts were riding in the other carriage, wearing the dresses that Rarity had recently made for them.

"Oh, this is so exciting!" Twinkleshine giggled with glee. "I can't believe I actually have a chance to go to THE Grand Galloping Gala!"

"Sunset, I need to thank you for my ticket." Lyra turned to her princess companion. "I never thought I would even live to see the Gala, let alone go to it."

"Same here." Minuette replied in honesty.

"Me too." Lemon Hearts added.

"Ditto." Lightning Dust pitched in.

"Oh girls," Sunset replied, "You don't really have to thank me. This gala would not mean a thing to me if I could not spend it with all of my friends."

"Or your special somepony." Lightning Dust added with a teasing smirk.

"Oh, stop it." Sunset responded coquettishly. "Besides, I made sure Moondancer had enough tickets to make that she and her special somepony will also be there."

"I just hope he's treating her right." Lemon Hearts said. "Because if he breaks her heart, I will personally make sure that he regrets it."

"Well, let's not let anything ruin our time together tonight." Sunset said to all of them. And they all heartily agreed.

Meanwhile, Prince Lockon Astros was getting ready in his own bedroom. He was wearing his best royal tuxedo. The entire ensemble was made from the finest fabric that Canterlot had to offer. Although, to be perfectly honest, Lockon thought the 'finest fabric' detail was a bit excessive. The shirt was white while his jacket was black with a matching bowtie. The jacket had the Canterlot royal insignia on it so that everypony would know that he was the adopted son of Princess Celestia, thus making him royalty as well.

'I can't wait to see Sunset in her dress.' He thought excitedly to himself. 'Knowing her, Rarity will have made her dress as well as those worn by all of her friends.'

Then he looked to the pocket on the right side of his jacket, where a faint lump of weight could only be felt by him.

'I just hope she accepts.' He thought to himself.

"My, my," said the voice of Princess Celestia as she walked in to check up on Lockon, "don't you look handsome?"

"Mom…" Lockon replied rather bashfully. "You're embarrassing me."

"Isn't it a mother's job to embarrass her own son?" Celestia replied wittingly.

"Whatever," Lockon replied with a smirk of his own, "just please don't embarrass me tonight. Otherwise I may just return the favor."

Celestia just chuckled at that joke and Lockon joined in.

"Either way," she continued, "I just wanted to let you know that Cadance and Shining Armor will also be attending the Gala."

"That's great to hear." Lockon replied. "Now all of my friends and family will be there."

"I am glad to see you so excited." His adoptive mother responded. "Anyway, the first guests will be arriving soon. See you there."

"You too, Mom." Lockon smiled at her before she turned around and left.

'Cadance is coming too?!' he inwardly panicked to himself. 'She could ruin my surprise. I just hope she doesn't find out before I make my move. And I already know exactly how and when I am going to do it.' And with that he trotted out of his room to enjoy the gala.

Sunset and company had just driven up to the castle gates. Spike opened up the doors to both carriages to allow both parties to exit.

"I can't believe we're here again." Twilight mentioned.

"You mean you guys are here again." Sunset corrected her. "You forget, Twilight, that this is a first for some of us."

"Of course, sorry." Twilight apologized with a sheepish smile.

"Hey, girls!" a familiar voice called to them. They all turned their heads to see a familiar couple walking towards them.

"Moondancer!" Sunset's group happily cheered and ran up to hug their friend.

True enough, Moondancer and Flash Sentry walked up to them to greet them in response. Flash was wearing a midnight blue suit with a matching necktie and a white shirt.

Moondancer looked equally gorgeous. She had on a silver dress with little specks of white patterned all over it to make it look like a beautiful and star-filled night sky.

"Girls, it's so good to see you again." Moondancer said before turning to Sunset. "I really must thank you again for the tickets you gave me, Sunset. Flash and I wouldn't even be here if it weren't for you."

"And not guarantee the presence of one of my best friends?" Sunset said. "Not a chance."

"So you're Flash Sentry." Lemon Hearts said as she walked around Flash.

"That's me." Flash responded.

"Let me just make one thing perfectly clear." Lemon Hearts continued before leaning to whisper into his ear. "Moondancer is one of my best friends and she told me about how well you have been treating her so far. So I will give you a chance."

"But," she continued, "if I ever find out that you have broken her heart in any way whatsoever, you are going to regret it. Have I made myself clear?"

"Crystal." Flash replied with a serious face, although he was a panicky nervous wreck on the inside.

"Good." Lemon Hearts responded.

"Hey Moondancer, you should meet the rest of our friends." Sunset told her and then led her towards the Mane Six.

"Twilight, Spike!" Moondancer exclaimed and ran over to greet them while giving each of them a hug which was eagerly returned. "I haven't seen you guys since our days in magic school together."

"It's good to see you too, Moondancer." Twilight replied with a sincere smile.

"And may I just say, you look absolutely gorgeous." Spike added with both hands in a thumbs-up position. "Flash is definitely lucky to be dating a mare like you."

"Oh, Spike, always the charmer." Moondancer thanked him as she nuzzled him before placing a light peck on his cheek. "You're so sweet." Spike just blushed at this.

Applejack then started walking down the path towards the castle before she looked back at us. "Come on, ya'll! We got a party to get to." She said in an excited tone before she continued walking.

And with that, everypony else started walking to catch up with her. At the main entrance to the castle were two unicorn royal guards. They were checking the tickets before anypony they entered. Sunset's party each gave their ticket and they were admitted inside.

They entered the lobby to see the room had a bunch of high-class ponies in fancy outfits wandering around and talking to each other. Sunset and Twilight then walked up to the long set of stairs and looked up to see Celestia standing at the very top of them. They then walked up to greet her.

Once Celestia noticed us, she smiled in delight. "Sunset, Twilight, I'm so glad you both could make it."

Sunset then smiled back. "It's nice to see you too, Princess. I've been looking forward to this gala for quite some time."

"I hope things go much more smoothly, Princess. We never got the chance to talk last time." Twilight said.

"Don't worry Twilight, there will be time for that." Celestia assured her. Then looked back down at her two students with a raised eye brow. "Where are all your friends? I hope they made it."

"Oh, don't worry Celestia; they're here along with us." Sunset assured her mentor. "I made sure that Twilight's friends got their tickets, and I gave the rest to Moondancer and her friends."

"That's good to hear." Celestia replied before noticing something else. "Oh, I do believe I see Lockon coming over."

Sunset and Twilight turned their heads toward the indicated direction, and sure enough Lockon Astros was walking up towards the two of them, dressed up in his best royal tuxedo.

When the two lovebirds saw each other, their minds went on appeal overload. Sunset nearly dropped her jaw, while Lockon actually did drop his and then immediately put it back into place using his own hoof.

"Wow, Sunset." He said to her while blushing slightly. "I thought you already looked gorgeous as you already are, even back when you were still a unicorn, but now I'm…I'm speechless. I can't even describe how beautiful you look right now."

"Why, thank you, Lockon." Sunset replied while blushing slightly herself as she looked back at him.

"I am overdressed?" He asked in slight worry and embarrassment.

"Actually, you look rather dashing." Sunset answered him with a confident grin on her face.

"He certainly does." came another voice. They all turned around to see a familiar royal couple approaching them from behind via the stairs.

"Cadance! Shining Armor!" Twilight exclaimed as she ran up to hug her B.B.B.F.F. and sister-in-law.

"Good to see you too, Twily." Shining Armor said while returning the hug.

"You certainly look handsome in that tuxedo, Lockon." Cadance cheekily complimented her adopted cousin in a teasing manner. "You look like quite the ladies' stallion."

"And I get this from the mare who's always been the hopeless romantic?" Lockon playfully countered.

"Touché." Cadance replied before getting an inquisitive look on her face which was then immediately replaced by an almost devious looking smirk. "Lockon, could I talk to you in private for a moment? This won't take long."

"Sure, Cadance." Lockon answered her before turning to the others. "If that's alright with you guys?"

"Not a problem." Shining Armor replied. Sunset and the others all nodded their heads in agreement.

Cadance and Lockon then went around a corner to a far off hall where no other ponies were.

"Ok, Lockon," Cadance began, "what kind of surprise do you have in store for a certain somepony?"

"I have no idea what you are talking about." Lockon denied.

"Oh really?" Cadance challenged before her horn started glowing. Lockon then felt the thing in the pocket of his tuxedo jacket being lifted out by magic.

"Hey!" Lockon loudly whispered before using a spell to cancel out Cadance's levitation spell. "Didn't Mom ever teach you anything about personal space or invasion of privacy?"

"I saw what that was." Cadance smirked. "I am not completely sure, but if I did not know any better, I say that was an e-"

But before she could even finish her sentence, Lockon had silenced her words by clamping her mouth shut with his magic.

"Close your mouth, Cadance." Lockon told her in a serious tone while keeping the magic aura keeping her mouth shut going. "I swear…if you screw this up for me…"

Cadance used the same spell cancelling spell that Lockon did on her earlier and managed to free her mouth from his magical grasp.

"No way…" She gasped almost breathlessly in happy excitement. "You're really going to do it, aren't you?!"

"Ok, you caught me." Lockon admitted. "But I am going to do it when the time is right, which shouldn't be too much longer. But more importantly, you cannot tell anypony about this. The only other pony who found out is Flash Sentry, and he already gave me his word that he would keep this a secret."

"Cadance," Lockon continued, "I want you to promise me that you will not tell anypony else about this. And I do not want you to "help" me either."

"Lockon…" Cadance began only for Lockon to interrupt her.

"I am serious, Cadance." He said. "If you tell Sunset, or anypony else about this, I will tell mother. I want you to Pinkie Promise me that you will keep this a secret until after I do it." Then he turned his head towards the nearby wall. "And that goes for you too, Discord."

The Spirit of Chaos then materialized out from behind the wall.

"How did you know I was there?" He asked in a dumbfounded manner.

"No matter how much or how hard you try Discord, you know full well that all alicorns can sense where you are." Lockon answered him before addressing Cadance as well. "Now, are you two gonna promise me or not?" he asked them in a stern manner.

"Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye." The Princess of Love and Spirit of Chaos chanted in unison while going through all the motions of a Pinkie Promise.

"Good." Lockon replied. "I am holding both of you to that Pinkie Promise until the end of tonight. But don't worry; it won't be long until it happens. Now, let's head back out there, Cadance. The others might be getting concerned."

And with that, the two alicorns went back to join their friends in the gala. By this time Moondancer, Lyra and the others had joined them.

"Moondancer." Lockon called to her before trotting over to her where Flash was by her side. "It's so good to see you again."

"Likewise, Lockon." Moondancer said as the two shared a friendly hug.

"Sup, Lockon." Flash said as the two hoof-bumped each other.

"Not much." Lockon replied. Then they all proceeded to the ballroom while Rainbow Dash and Lightning Dust went off to the VIP section to hang out with the Wonderbolts after being invited by Spitfire.

When they got to the ballroom, they all saw many famous and familiar faces. Among these included Fancypants, Fleur de Lis, and Photo Finish. Octavia was playing her cello up on stage along with the other musicians. Fancypants and Fleur de Lis greeted the whole group. They even got Photo Finish to accept a request for a group photo when the gala was over.

Suddenly the musicians had finished one song and were about to play a waltz tune that would accompany a dance by only one couple on the floor.

"Sunset," Lockon started as he held out a hoof towards her, "may I have this dance?"

"I would be delighted, Lockon." Sunset answered him as she took his hoof.

They then began walking out onto the dance floor together while everypony else cleared away to the outer edges to give them room. Rainbow Dash and Lightning Dust even came back from the VIP section when they noticed that the music had stopped.

Sunset and Lockon were now the center of attention in the entire ballroom. Then the musicians started playing a waltz in a six eight time signature, opening with flutes before a violin took over the melody.

As the royal lovebirds were dancing, they began talking to each other.

"You're quite the dancer, Lockon." Sunset told him.

"Thanks, you too." Lockon replied. "Though to be honest, I've never really danced like this with anypony before now."

"That's okay, Lockon." Sunset commented. "To tell you the truth, neither have I."

"Hey Sunset," Lockon continued, "Aunt Luna is going to be putting on a show with the stars tonight soon after this dance is over. Would you like to come and watch it with me? I know this tower that has a private balcony above the gardens where we will definitely have the best view."

"I would love to." Sunset answered just as the waltz came to an end. Everypony applauded the couple just as they were walking back towards their friends.

"Hey guys," Sunset said to the group, "do you all mind if Lockon and I go to this balcony above the gardens where we'll be watching Luna doing her show with the stars?

Rarity shook her head with a smile. "Not at all, dear. You go and have fun with Lockon. We'll be here when you get back."

Sunset gave her a thankful smile before they both headed towards the tower. "Wait! Why don't we go with them?" Pinkie Pie suggested.

Cadance turned her head to face her. "I think they want to have some time alone, Pinkie Pie…you know…alone, alone." She said clearly.

Pinkie Pie then got what she was saying. "Oooooh, got'cha." She said with a playful wink before she giggled. Cadance just smirked in amusement at Pinkie Pie before she, the rest of the Mane Six, and Lyra's group continued to watch the two lovebirds leave.

When they finally got to the balcony, they had a few minutes to spare before the show starts. Down in the gardens were some of the other guests sitting on cushions while looking up at the night sky; waiting for the show to start. They were all facing out off a cliff towards a very wide range that happened to include the Everfree forest.

This was the middle of Spring. And the night was clear. Then, Princess Luna flew out into the middle of the range, signaling the start of her show. Then, something amazing happened.

From deep within a certain cave located right in the middle of the Everfree Forest, the Ursa Minor that Twilight calmed down and prevented from destroying Ponyville, and its mother the true Ursa Major, emerged and started to move in sync with Luna as if she was leading them through a dance.

Sunset and Lockon were beyond amazed.

Then, three more beasts that were similar in appearance to the Ursas appeared. These were Leo, a red lion with a mane; Hydra, a yellow sea serpent with a fin at the tail end; and Draco, a green oriental style dragon that matched Hydra in size but also had noticeable yet somewhat vestigial legs on his body.

Soon, all five stellar beasts began to move in sync with Luna as she led them in a cosmic waltz through the balmy night sky.

For the big finale, Luna flew up until everypony could see her right in front of the moon. Then, all five cosmic beasts stood in a circle around her looking straight up at her, or looking down as was the case for Draco and Hydra. Then, magic flowed from all five beasts towards Luna, who then, after adding her own magic, shot a bright beam into the sky, creating a magnificent aurora which spread over all of Equestria.

While the aurora still shone, the stellar beasts then peacefully retired back to their respective lairs, thus signaling the end of the show. Everypony who was attending was stomping their hooves rapidly in applause.

"That was beautiful." Sunset said in sheer amazement.

"Indeed." Lockon agreed. "I have no idea how she pulled that off, but that was definitely one of the most spectacular shows I have ever seen in my life."

Soon the guests were starting to leave to go back inside. Sunset was about to head out until Lockon stopped her. "Err…Sunset, can I talk to you?"

"Sure, Lockon. What is it?" she asked as she sat back down.

"Sunset…" Lockon began, "we've been through a lot together. And I want you to know that you are the most important thing in my life."

Sunset was about to respond before Lockon raised a hoof and cut her off. "Hold on, I'm not done." He said.

"You helped me overcome my own personal demons fueled by my desires for revenge." He continued. "You prevented me from making what probably would have been the biggest mistake of my life. You helped me let go of my past and move on to the future. And now I realize that I can't live without you."

"Do you really mean that, Lockon?" Sunset asked with a sincere smile.

"Of course I do. Every single word." Lockon answered her before turning his head around and looking down at his tuxedo jacket pocket before looking back into her eyes. "I love you, Sunset. You're everything I've ever dreamed of, and…I've decided that I want to be with you for the rest of my life…so…that's why I want to ask you something."

Sunset then looked at him in confusion as he used his magic to fetch something from his right tuxedo jacket pocket. She slightly gasped upon seeing a small black box emerging from the jacket and landing in Lockon's right hoof.

Lockon then got down on one knee while holding the box out to Sunset. Using his left hoof, he pulled open the small lid of the box, revealing a small platinum ring with three clear and flawless diamonds going along it. Sunset was beyond speechless at this point.

"Sunset Shimmer…will you marry me?" Lockon asked with a hopeful smile.

"Oh, Lockon!" She exclaimed before wrapping her front legs and wings around him in a tight embrace.

"So is that a yes or a no?" Lockon asked out of cluelessness from the reaction he just got.

"It's yes, you big lug." Sunset answered in a joyful tone. "A big, fat 'of course I'll marry you.'"

Lockon then smiled greatly with joy before standing back up on all four hooves. Using his magic, he then grabbed the ring and pulled it out of the box, and then gently placed it on Sunset's horn.

They were overjoyed. Lockon tried to hold back from crying as Sunset leaped into his loving embrace. All the while, tears of joy were running down their faces.

Then, pulling their heads back, they gazed deeply into each other's loving eyes, before sharing a very long, deep, and passionate kiss of true love.

Soon after that, the gala was over and the guests were leaving. The only ones who were still there were the Mane Six, Spike, Princess Cadance, Shining Armor, Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Moondancer, Flash, Lyra, Minuette, Twinkleshine, Lemon Hearts and Discord.

They had just caught sight of Lockon and Sunset returning and trotting up to them when Rarity gasped loudly and overdramatically. Then she trotted over to them.

"Sunset, darling," Rarity began to ask while looking at the ring on Sunset's horn, "is this what I think it is?"

"You better believe it, Rarity." Sunset chuckled.

"You didn't." Moondancer and Flash said to Lockon in unison. He just smirked at them in reply.

"Oh, I am so happy for the both of you." Cadance wrapped the newly engaged couple into a hug.

"Me too!" Pinkie Pie said as she appeared right between the couple in the next instant. "When's the wedding? Where will it be? Do you want us to help? Do you want us t-"

"Easy there, Pinkie Pie." Sunset said as she put a hoof to Pinkie's mouth to cease the rambling. "We just got engaged. We still have a lot of planning to do."

"Indeed." Lockon agreed with his fiancé before turning to his adoptive mother. "Mom, would it be alright if Sunset spends the night here in the castle?"

"It is not a problem at all, son." Celestia replied with a wink after giving him an affectionate nuzzle.

"In that case," Sunset began, "Spike, can you watch my house and Shadow for me until I get back?"

"You got it." Spike answered her with a thumbs-up.

"Thanks little buddy." Sunset responded while ruffling his head spines.

Everypony bid their goodnights and goodbyes. As well as congratulate Sunset and Lockon on their engagement.

Then, Lockon escorted Sunset to his bedroom. Once the door was locked behind them, they took off their Gala outfits and placed them in the closet. Sunset took the ring off her horn and placed it on the wooden counter beside the bed.

Then, they both got into Lockon's bed together, where they started dreamily staring into each other's eyes as they thought about their future together.

"To think we're actually engaged." Sunset said in an excited tone.

"I know, I can't believe it either…I don't think I've ever been happier in my life than I am right now." Lockon said honestly with a sweet tone.

Sunset gave him a heartfelt smile. "Me neither."

Then, they shared a passionate kiss on the lips, before breaking it and smiling lovingly at each other. "Goodnight, Lockon…I love you." Sunset said before she closed her eyes to sleep.

"Goodnight, Sunset…I love you too." Lockon said before he did the same thing.

As they both closed their eyes and drifted off to sleep, they both had the exact same thought.

'Best…Night…Ever.'