• Published 10th Apr 2012
  • 4,880 Views, 63 Comments

Reconstruction - MasterZero



A realistic take on the human world and Equestria colliding into one world.

  • ...
9
 63
 4,880

Winds of Change

"Some say God made all of us, and always meant for us to come together. Others say it was a freak accident. Scientists talk about our dimensions crossing over each other and melding into one, all out of chance....No matter how it happened or why, our story begins in the city of Manhattan...."

The metropolis was filled with noise and activity, but not in the traditional sense. The smell of smoke spread throughout the city and people screamed in terror as their homes were destroyed by a giant beast. Its four long, scaled necks moved through the air with a grace and elegance man could never have imagined from such a giant, and it struck with a rage that laid the city to waste.

But the hydra was not the only stranger within the city. A few hapless souls met their doom as they were distracted by the sight of several pegasus in the air.

"Where are we?" A pegasus asked, seeing a large sign with a hairless, malformed monkey on it. The large billboard was quickly destroyed as one of the hydra's heads smashed the building, making it join the ruins and debris around it.

"It looks like Manehattan, but -whoa!" The female pegasus was pushed out of the way of the hydra's snapping jaw as a rainbow streak saved her life.

"Watch it, Western Wind! Dumbbell, Hoops! Keep distracting the Hydra's heads! We have to make sure the other ponies get somewhere safe!" Rainbow Dash ordered, glaring at two of her fillyhood bullies. The duo screamed in terror as the jaws snapped at them. The blue pegasus groaned and continued to order her fellow pegasi, before she heard a scream.

Rainbow Dash turned her eyes to the unfamiliar streets below, and she saw a mysterious creature on the ground. The tall, lanky creature was trapped under several pieces of rubble, and judging by her mane and clothes, was female. Creatures like her ran by, when suddenly one stopped. Judging by its mane, it was a he and the strange colt (Rainbow Dash wondered if she could call the creature that...) attempted to lift the rubble off of the filly.

“They were very much like us in a way. Legs. Eyes. A nose. A tongue. A body, soul, mind, and heart.”

The hydra gave little thought to the new, strange animals and unknowingly raised a foot above them. By the time she was free, the gigantic foot was about to crush them both. A rainbow blur shot down, though, saving both of the aliens. They held onto their savior before she dropped them both off down the street.

"Run!" She ordered them, before flying back towards the four-headed titan.

The heads roared, only for one to be stunned by a hoof to the chin. The other three laughed at the young head's misfortune, before another was hit. The heads glared at the challenger as the others shook themselves back to focus. They all struck forward, intending to attack the rainbow maned speedster, only to stop as the eight eyes saw black, metal animals fly over to attack.

Rainbow Dash followed their gaze and quickly flew out of the way as several rockets were fired, hitting the multiheaded monster. The rockets did not explode, but instead leaked out a white gas. The pegasi fled as black helicopters flew above them, firing down on the orange scaled beast. Rainbow Dash saw darts pierce the hydra's thick hide. She also saw Hoops lagging behind the others, coughing and plummeting to the ground due to the white gas.

She quickly flew over, stopping only in shock of the white gas. Her lungs felt like they were being filled with red, hot lava. Her eyes experienced a pain that resembled knives impaling them. She coughed and hacked, spit dribbling down her lips as she struggled to keep moving. Her trip was made no easier as loud screams rang through her ears as one of the helicopters was hit by the flailing hydra heads, crashing into a nearby building. She barely reached the falling colt, carrying him out of the white, gas dungeon.

Other pegasi grabbed the hysterical Hoops as Rainbow Dash was held in the hooves of her fellow fliers. When her eyesight finally returned to her and she was able to stop coughing, she saw an army on their way. Metal carriages rode towards them; jeeps armed with miniguns rode down the paved road, opening fire upon the reptile. More rockets and tranquilizer darts assaulted the monster, piercing through its scales and making it cry out in pain.

The several dozen pegasi landed on the ground as the hydra fought the black helicopters and cars. A car was picked up by one of the heads, and Rainbow Dash closed her eyes as she saw the colt inside scream in horror, before the hydra closed its jaw. Another two copters were hit by the heads and sent to the ground, before the giant lizard tumbled to the ground, crashing onto yet another building.

The pegasi watched as a portion of helicopters landed, and inside of them they could see more of the bizarre colts and mares. They saw the doors slide open, and the passengers walk out, holding guns in their hands.

------------------------------------------

“A united strike between the American Air Force and the American Army had been called in to protect and evacuate the innocents and to stop the hydra. The attack was led by Master Sergeant Jane Wilson, with orders from her superiors to bring in the hydra alive.”

Two humans walked out of the landed copter; a man and woman. The other copters opened up and the people inside stepped out as they looked at the ponies. The ground forces soon joined them, with one man in particular running over to Master Sergeant Wilson and the man next to her, Staff Sergeant Luke Akins.

“Sir!” He quickly saluted before Enlisted Medic Tim Lopez pointed back to the wreckage the attack left. “Three Jolly Green Giants have been grounded, and we have pair of destroyed jeeps. We have multiple injured soldiers.”

“Have an onsite hospital set up and do what you can for them,” Wilson commanded.

The man nodded and was about to leave when the Staff Sergeant noticed something. “Sir, they seem to have injured,” he stated, motioning towards injured pegasi who could no longer fly, had some form of noticeable injuries on them, or who had been caught in the gas attack.

“Can you help them, Lopez?” Master Sergeant Wilson inquired.

“I’m a medic, ma’am. I’m trained for humans. Not winged horses. Maybe we should ask someone if they have any experience on a farm or something, better than nothing, all things considered,” the medic said.

“E-excuse me?”

The soldiers turned to see another one of the horse creatures, save this one lacked wings. Instead, she resembled a normal horse, if significantly smaller. She was white, with a pink mane in a bun, and a matching tail. She wore a nurse cap on her head, with a red cross on it, and a matching insignia on the side of her body. As she walked out of her hiding spot, two dozen ponies like her, some having a horn on their heads, followed, which brought the number of pastel-colored horses to over sixty.

“I…couldn’t help but overhear. You have injured? I’m Nurse Redheart, and I have some experience with helping sick patients. If I could help in any way, I would be happy to….”

“Master Sergeant?” The Medic looked at his commanding officer, who simply nodded in response.

“Keep an eye on her,” she whispered. The doctor nodded and motioned for Nurse Redheart to follow him.

“…If you can, I can help you with your injured when we’re done.”

“Thank you, that would be very helpful, Mister…?”

“Lopez. Tim Lopez.”

“How do you know our language?” Jane asked.

“How do you know ours?” Another pony asked, pointing an accusing hoof at the humans. “What are you things anyway?” The colt added.

“Do you have a leader? We would like to talk to him,” Master Sergeant quickly interrupted, holding her hands up passively.

The ponies were silent, before Rainbow Dash stepped forward, the affects of the gases finally wearing down enough for her to operate. “I’m the leader. Now I got three simple questions for you: I want to know who you are, where we are, and how do we get back to Ponyville?”

“…Ponyville?” Luke repeated, looking at his superior officer for answers. She merely shook her head in confusion.

“You’re in Manhattan, in the state of New York, one of fifty that belong to the United States of America. My name is Master Sergeant Wilson. Now, I don’t know anything about any Ponyville, but I do know that just a few hours ago, all of you, and that overgrown iguana back there appeared in this city. I don’t know how or why, but I know that if either of us wants answers, it would be in our best interests to work together, or at least tolerate one another.”

Rainbow Dash stared at the young woman, before a smile tugged at her lips. “Alright, Wilson. What did you have in mind?”

------------------------------------------

When they appeared, many of us were afraid of them, or worst, hated them for whatever reason. But each side had its heroes. Those willing to trust this strange, new species that had appeared before them.

“Octy!” A white pony embraced and nuzzled her face into the neck of her friend. The light grey pony nuzzled her head into Vinyl’s neck, before the two released one another. Despite being each other’s musical opposite, the two were thankful to see anypony they knew who wasn't hurt or worse. “I thought you were dead! When the hydra started stomping around, I thought-”

“I know, Vinyl. I know. It’s good to see you again, too.”

The two smiled at one another and nuzzled each other in relief of finding one another, when Octavia noticed Nurse Redheart, and one of the strange, tan skinned bipeds walking around and helping ponies. She pulled away from Vinyl and the two saw many of the injured bipeds being carried to what looked like a hospital by other bipeds, no doubt injured by the attack.

“Octy?”

------------------------------------------

“What do you think they’re going to do with these talking horse things?” A soldier asked. His partner simply shrugged his shoulders as he did his job and led the patrol, making sure everything was going alright. The two stopped at the sound of hooves touching the pavement. They turned to the source to find a light grey pony, with a black mane and purple eyes staring at them. Behind her was a white pony, with an electric blue, short mane, and purple tinted glasses over her eyes. Both talking ponies had a musical note on their flanks.

“Can we help you, ma’am?” The older soldier questioned, as his younger partner seemed far more confused and disturbed.

“My name is Octavia. This is where the injured are being tended to, correct? I was wondering if it was possible I could enter and play them a song?”

“WHAT?!” The white pony shouted.

“You…want to play them a song?”

“That is correct, yes. I can understand if you reject me; I simply wish for everypo…everyone inside to know that I am sorry for what has happened and I wish to do everything I can to make their time healing as pleasant as possible. Vinyl, bring it over please.”

The disc jockey shook off her shock and used her horn to lift up a box, bringing it over to the three. She laid it on the ground and Octavia opened it, revealing her cello.

“You play the cello?”

“I do.”

“How? You don’t have fingers.”

“May I see?” The older soldier gently took the instrument into his hands as the grey pony gave her blessing. He examined it and the bow in his hands, before placing both back in the box. The craftsmanship, he noticed, was beyond stunning. “Alright. Come on. Stay here, kid.”

“No arguments from me, man.”

“Come along, Vinyl.”

The white unicorn followed, glancing at the black weapon in the hands of the young creature. She followed her earth pony compatriot, deep into the human structure, seeing a multitude of injured victims. They filled the rooms and nearly filled the hallways, making it so that the three had to be careful where they stepped so as not to further injure some poor soul. When they reached a spot that had enough room and was deep enough into the building, Octavia began to play.

The sound of groans, moans, and crying was replaced. The atmosphere of pain and heartbreak was slowly chipped away, revealing the sounds of music behind it. The music sang of tragedy, but also strength. It spoke of overcoming adversity, to stand above it, to stand united. It begged for forgiveness and it prayed for a happy ending.

When the song ended, no one knew what to do. On one hand, it was truly beautiful song, done by one, single musician. On the other, it was being played by a talking pony.

The first sound to shatter the silence like a well placed bullet was Vinyl. The unicorn had always tried to keep her love of classical music a secret kept between her and her best friend, but Octavia deserved this. The sound of her hooves hitting the ground was soon met by a soldier clapping his hands. Soon, more and more people began to join in, thanking the cellist.

Octavia blushed and gave a polite bow to everypo…everyone. As the applause faded, and a sense of comfort was felt in the hospital, the grey pony noticed someone wasn’t as relaxed or happy as everyone else was.

A child version of the other creatures glared at her with her brown eyes. Small, with a black mane, and wearing a blue dress on her body. Octavia gave a sheepish smile, before the girl turned away angrily. Vinyl noticed this and asked aloud.

“What’s with her?”

“Vinyl…Vinyl, look,” Octavia whispered, pointing to the room the girl entered. The two saw a larger, older, colt version of her tied to various machines on his bed. He was silent, and it was only now that they could hear the high pitched beep one of the machines gave, showing a flat line.

“A lot of people were hurt during that hydra’s attack. A lot more weren’t as lucky. Causalities are ranging in the thousands.” The old guard looked at the two as they looked at him. “People think somehow your kind is connected to all of this. That you brought that hydra here.”

“That’s a load of flying feathers! We just appeared in the middle of your city! We didn’t bring that monster here!” Vinyl argued.

“Do you believe that, sir?” Octavia inquired, placing a hoof on her friend’s shoulder to try and calm her down.

“I don’t like believing in anything without proof. But some monster tears apart the town, and at the same moment, a race of talking animals appears? You can see why some people are jumping to conclusions.”

“I see. Well, thank you for giving us the benefit of the doubt.”

The three were about to leave the hospital, when suddenly they heard what sounded like laughter and party favors. They saw confetti fall out of a doorway and onto the ground. The three walked over and inside the room they saw an equal number of patients, lying in bed, strapped to machines, and laughing at the wacky antics of a pink pony.

While her eccentric behavior was causing other humans to become discontent, those that believed the new intelligent race was to blame for the attack, many desired an escape from their gloomy reality, even if it was from one that was suspected for bringing a monster to town.

She danced and sang for the patients, making them laugh and smile. One of them, a grown man, even tried singing along. Before the ponies came along, the atmosphere was depressing and only crying and groans of pain were heard. Now, people seemed more optimistic, many of the patients were quiet now, resting or at peace.

“May I ask what your name is, sir?” Octavia asked, looking at the soldier.

“Private First Class Knipp.”

“Yeesh, and I thought Octavia Philharmonica was a silly name,” Vinyl laughed as the three began their trek to exiting the hospital.

------------------------------------------

And as the people and ponies attempted to understand one another, the leaders of the nation they had appeared in were attempting to figure out the situation and save as many people they could, only beginning to learn of the magnitude of the crisis.

In Washington DC, capital of the American Republic, and home to the President of the United States, a meeting was being held by the nation’s leader, his Cabinet, and the General of the Army. The room was in an uproar, with many of the members arguing with each other as the President and Vice President tried keeping the peace.

“Sir, all of Los Angeles is gone! We can’t reach Topeka or Houston. Also, satellite imagery shows all of Florida and Hawaii gone!” the Secretary of Interior shouted.

“Sir, we simply do not have enough soldiers or transportation for the entire nation. We’ve gotten word of anarchy in massive population centers, and we’re also getting word of giant monster attacks in Manhattan, Seattle, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, and Atlanta! Our forces are too thin!” The Secretary of Defense argued.

“Damn it, we have to try! We have to save as many people as we can! I don’t care if dragons come down from the sky; our duty is to protect the American people!” The President roared.

“There are not enough hospitals for the injured! Our death toll is already over a million!” The Secretary of Health and Human Services cried, slamming his hand onto the table in a rage.

“Sir, we need to find out what caused those cities to vanish and what brought those monsters here! We need to find them and make them pay for every one of those lives!” The Secretary of Homeland Security declared, raising her fist into the air. “Not to mention all the lives that vanished with the cities and the states they lived in!”

“Our resources are low as it is,” the Secretary of Agriculture added.

“Our nation has never seen this amount of property damage! Hospitals are overcrowded, and thousands of homes are either gone or have been destroyed!” The Secretary of Housing and Urban Development exclaimed.

“Mr. President, we’re getting reports from the United Kingdom, Moscow, Canada, Paris, Mexico City, Buenos Aires, and Cairo! All are victims of similar incidents. Entire cities and land masses are gone, and there are reports of giant monsters tearing apart population centers,” the Secretary of State explained.

As the arguments flew, a young, female guard walked into the meeting room and whispered into the president’s ear. “Sir, there’s someone outside who wants to talk to you.”

“What?! We’re in a meeting right now! I don’t have time for this!”

“Sir, it’s very important you listen to her! She said-”

The guard was interrupted by the sound of the doors opening and a bright light blinding the officials. When it faded away into a warm glow, the president was shocked by what he saw before him.

Three horse-like creatures, two of which had a horn and a pair of wings, their only difference being color and a one being slightly bigger than the other. Beside them was a smaller, purple unicorn, who seemed curious yet suspicious of him and his assembly.

“Mr. President, I take it? My name is Princess Celestia. I believe we have something we need to talk about.”