• Published 10th Apr 2012
  • 4,880 Views, 63 Comments

Reconstruction - MasterZero



A realistic take on the human world and Equestria colliding into one world.

  • ...
9
 63
 4,880

Storm of War

Within the walls of the United Nations, humanity argued among itself. The humans were filled with anger and a thirst for vengeance, and while many could have mistaken it for malevolence, the truth of the matter was that humanity was scared and simply seeking justice. Many cities laid in flames as they argued, and each ambassador fought and argued that their own people needed to be saved.

"There are dragons in my country!"


"Ambassador-"


"Our cities are being destroyed!"


"Ambassador-"


"This is an act of war; I demand to see the ones responsible!"


"Ambassador-"


"Where did these things come from?"


"Ambassadors, please! May I have your attention?!" The American Ambassador shouted, standing up and raising her hands into the air. The assembly began to calm down, and when it was ready, she continued, "You are all rightfully upset, and I can understand your desire for answers and retribution. Now then, may I please introduce to you the President of the United States of America."


The uproar returned as the President walked into the assembly, standing by the ambassador for his country. He held up his hands and waited for the people to calm down.


"My friends, I know my presence here is unexpected, and to some of you, unwanted. But I have good reason to be here. The recent attacks and appearances of these strange characters have caused much destruction and death, and I am sorry for all the lives that have been lost. These creatures are not of Earth, as some of you may believe. As insane as it may be to say, these creatures are from another world, one parallel to our own. Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce you to Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, and the ambassadors of the parallel world."


Once again, stronger than ever before, the assembly roared with shock, rage, and confusion. The doors opened and a small herd of creatures walked out, the most normal of them being a donkey, an American buffalo, a zebra, a mule, and a cow. Other creatures included alicorns, a griffon, a minotaur, and finally a unicorn.


"What are those things?!"


"What are they doing here?!"


"Mr. President, you have no right to bring these creatures here!"


"It’s because of them, my people are dying!"


"Everyone, please, I understand your outrage, but they have a right to speak for themselves!"


"That is not your right to decide, American!"


"Ambassadors!" Princess Celestia's voice echoed throughout the assembly, and everyone turned to her, stopping from the loud boom. She looked at them, before continuing. "We did not choose to bring our creatures here. We did not choose to have them rampage throughout your lands. My heart aches for every lost life. I do not know how, but it seems our universes, once parallel to each other, have crossed, and my people and yours have become spread out among this amalgam of our worlds."


The humans listened to the princess finish, before one of them spoke. "Four million. Four million dead in my country! My people are being slaughtered! A blizzard, one more powerful than any we've ever seen is destroying everything!" The Ambassador of Russia stood up and looked at the Princess and his colleagues. "Not only that, some sort of disease is affecting my people. Hatred and betrayal are widespread. Citizen attacking citizen; mother abandoning child; and comrade killing comrade. Are you telling me your creatures are doing this?!"


Celestia felt her heart ache at the thought of what could be doing such a thing. "Windigos. Yes, I'm sorry. Those creatures are native to our world."


"A giant bear is destroying my capitol- a being that dwarfs many of our buildings and easily slaughters our military. This monster is native to your world?"


"An Ursa Major. Yes."


A commotion was beginning to take root as many of the humans glared at the otherworldly creatures. Princess Celestia was about to speak when her sister cut her off.


"My sister said it herself. We are sorry for the lost lives your countries have suffered. We want you all to know that you have our full support. We wish to do everything in our power to help you. We can advise your armies in strategies to lure and capture the beasts. We can help heal the wounded. We want to help."


It was this that caused one of the leaders from the Pony world to speak. "My people are stretched thin, princesses. We did not agree to give any support to these creatures," the donkey whispered.


"We owe it to them."


"You do. My people are lost and scattered. They need a leader."


"Then go if you so wish, but see how many allies you have when you need them," Celestia replied, looking at the smaller creature. He growled at her, gritting his teeth, before a human spoke.


"You said capture." The human ambassador of Japan stood up and continued to speak, "My country is being destroyed by dragons. Capturing them is not an option, at least not without sacrificing my people to do so. I will not let any more of my people die! I do not want them captured; I want them slaughtered! I cannot let my people die anymore!"


"Are you saying we put the animals of your world's lives before our people? I do not know how things worked in your country, Princess Celestia, but I will not sacrifice the lives of innocent men and women- of children! Not to save the lives of your people, or the lives of dumb monsters!"


The minotaur ambassador slammed his hoof into the ground, and the ambassador of Germany stepped back in shock. "My people are strong! Stronger than any race! If you sacrifice your people to help my own, I swear you will have the strongest of warriors by your side!"


"I will not let innocents die for some animal!"


"Animal?!"


"SILENCE!" Luna's voice roared, silencing both parties.


"Thank you, Luna," Celestia nodded, before looking at the humans. "When I said capture, I was simply speaking of the best case scenario. Do not mistake my words as an insult. If I have to make the choice between the lives of human citizens and soldiers, and the life of an animal, I will save the humans. I will understand if any of your armies have to make that choice."


There was still lingering doubt and anger towards the new creatures, but the many nations of humanity seemed to have settled down. Now there was another matter to talk about.


"Do you have any sort of residence? If your people are scattered like ours, do they have any homes?"


"Our ponies do have homes, but much like your world, pieces of my world are gone entirely. A large percent of our population is lost."


The President stood back up and began to speak. "My country is already constructing camps for the natives of the other world. I cannot and will not order any of you to do the same. Any of you that have the natives of the Princess' world are welcome to send them to America, where they will be given safe refuge."


"How expected. America giving safe refuge to the victims of tragedy."


"Ambassador, is there something the matter?" The President turned to look at the Ambassador of Nigeria


"Mr. President, how do we know there isn't some ulterior motive to all this?"


"What are you implying? That I planned all this?!"


"No, no. But here you are, showing yourself off as the hero- another Berlin Airlift or Operation Tomodachi."


"A publicity stunt? These are people's lives!"


"Exactly! You're putting your resources to helping these creatures, sacrificing what could be used to save lives, and you expect us all to play along! And if we don't, we're the bad guys, while you get to play the savior and gain the favor of all these mystical creatures!"


"The Ambassador of Nigeria has a point," Rwanada's ambassador added. "How do we know you will not simply capture the beasts and keep them in case of war? How do we know you will not simply rerelease them upon our homes and nations?!"


"And what of your allies, Mr. President?" The Ambassador of the United Kingdom inquired. "Do you just intend to abandon us?"


"Ambassadors, trust in me that I will not let people die to help our new allies, but they are victims just like us. It is the right thing to do."


The Assembly seemed to finally allow the subject to die, and it moved onto other matters of importance. As they discussed their next course of action, and what could be done with the new...immigrants, Celestia looked at the President and mouthed off the words, 'Thank you.'


The President gave a simple nod, before the assembly devolved back into a shouting contest. Celestia sighed as she heard some of her fellow guests join in. It seems politics is a constant in all dimensions.


--------------------------------

And so the Princesses offered advisers to every country they could, ponies that could communicate with the beasts and animals of their world. One of them in particular was the Element of Kindness, Fluttershy. She was one of the first of the ponies to find a true friend in the realm of man.


Fluttershy, Twilight, and Princess Celestia walked down the hall of the military base, before they stopped within a large room. They saw several humans walking into and out of the room, all doing their job as best as they could. Twilight noticed her pegasus friend was shaking and gave a supportive smile.


"Fluttershy, don't worry. Everything's going to be okay. Everyone's been really nice to us. You don't have to be afraid," the unicorn assured.


"I just don't see why I have to be one of the advisers," the mare whimpered, seeing a pair of humans staring at her, before talking to each other, with her no doubt being the center of said conversation.


"No one knows more about animals than you do! No one can get animals to trust others better than you. The Princesses are giving animal advisers to several nations, and you're the best out of each of them," Twilight smiled. "I have faith in you."


Her friend's words touched the pegasus, and she smiled at the unicorn. "Thanks, Twilight. I needed that."


"Girls," Celestia called them to attention as the door opened and a human colt walked in. Fluttershy felt her knees buckle at the sight of him. He was towering above even Celestia, and his clothes seemed to struggle to contain his muscles. His skin was riddled with scars that went under his green camo outfit, and the only hair he had on his head was a greying flat top.


Fluttershy whimpered at the sight of the strong, intimidating general. He walked towards the group and seemed visibly distraught by the sight of the strange, otherworldly creatures. There was a quiet, rather awkward moment within the group of four, before he saluted them.


"Princess Celestia, Ambassador Twilight." The general turned his head to the pegasus and gave a nod. "And you must be my adviser, Fluttershy. It’s an honor. I'm General Fallon."


"H-h-hi," she replied, avoiding eye contact with the towering figure.


"You'll have to forgive Fluttershy. She's...timid," Twilight explained.


"Given the circumstance, I don't blame her. Miss Fluttershy, are you fit for duty? If you don't feel able, I could see another adviser," the old human offered, speaking with surprising sincerity and kindness. The soft words helped the pegasus relax a bit, and a nod from the Princess helped her again.


"N-no, sir. I'm fine."


"Alright. In that case, we have a mission briefing to get to. Princess, Ambassador." General Fallon saluted the two once more, and Twilight awkwardly gave the same motion. The General's blue eyes turned to Fluttershy and the young mare and human soon left the room, on their way to a briefing with the other generals and advisers.


--------------------------------


Before Fluttershy could realize, she was exiting a military armored vehicle, beholding a horrible sight. A family of manticores was attacking the city of Detroit. The pride of lions was tearing apart the area, and was quickly making a path of destruction to the next.


She shuddered in horror at the sight of several dead bodies behind the terrorizing beasts- no doubt humans that had gotten in the way of the beasts. Wrecks of cars, debris, and the such polluted the streets, and people scream and ran in fear, or tried to fight the animals, only to be met with a swift death. On a closer inspection, Fluttershy saw that there were also manticore bodies on the street, dead, with blood leaking out of them, though it seemed like only one body for every six or seven humans killed.


A line of soldiers were attempting to tranquilize the beasts, but they were resistant to the drugs. If anything, they were only being held back by the darts. To the shock of the troops, the eldest of the monster shot the bard at the end of his tail, impaling one of the soldiers.


"Medic!" Another cried, running to his friend as he began to bleed from his wound.


"Fluttershy." The pegasus looked at General Fallon as the two stood behind a barricade the army had made. "None of the nonlethal weaponry is taking these beasts down- the alpha male leading them especially. I need you to calm them down, if possible, or find some way for us to bring them down peacefully, or else we will terminate them.... Fluttershy?"


General Fallon saw the pegasus was already flying over to the family of manticores. "Hold your fire," he ordered all of the troops, before motioning for them to trade their weapons for the more lethal variety.


"Stop!" She pleaded, and the family froze in place. The leader moved closer to her, growling with his teeth bare. It exhaled in front of her, and Fluttershy could feel the hot air touch her fur. She stood brave before it. "Calm down. I know you're scared, but please, you have to calm down," she pleaded, talking with a surprising firmness, while still showing the male that she did not mean to harm him. "They're just protecting themselves," she explained as the manticore's eyes traveled to the human soldiers.


The beast turned away from the pegasus and looked at the dead bodies of his family. Its brow shifted, and a look of melancholy formed on his face. One of them was a cub...


"I understand. But you can't terrorize all of these innocent people for what happened to your family. I'm sorry for your loss, but don't make another father mourn the loss of his children."


The father manticore stared at the mare, before giving a roar to his family. They obeyed, relenting, and letting their bodies relax. Fluttershy turned to General Fallon and gave a smile, before looking at the manticore once more.


"Now then, will you be so kind as to go with the nice gentlecolts? We'll put you somewhere safe, and take good care of you until we can find a nice forest to put you in."


The monster glared at her, before looking at his pride. He gave a growl at them, before looking once more at the pegasus and nodding.


"He's agreed to go peaceful."


General Fallon let out a sigh of relief and smiled. "Thank you, Fluttershy. Alright, let's get the cages and transport ready, move it, people!" He ordered the soldiers.


From the sidelines, a civilian that was being tended to by a medic suddenly stood up. "What?! You're just going to let it go?! That son of a bitch killed my wife!"


Fallon looked at the outraged human and tried to talk some sense to him, walking forward. "Sir, please, calm down."


"No, you're letting a killer go! What the hell is wrong with you?!" He screamed, pushing the medic back as hatred and fury boiled in his blood. "My family should be avenged! Everyone those monsters killed should be!"


General Fallon stepped back as a young man placed a hand on his father's shoulder and tried calming him down. It seemed to have worked, for now, and the angry widower looked away as the animals were brought into cages.


General Fallon sighed as Fluttershy flew over, asking if he was okay. His eyes wandered to the injured residents of Detroit. "I'm fine, but we better move fast." The general noticed the dirty glares many of the citizens gave the soldiers and pegasus, "A lot of people aren't happy that these creatures go on without a scratch." The old man looked directly at Fluttershy now as they walked back to the transports. "I apologize, Fluttershy. I hope all this doesn't make you think badly of humanity."


"Oh, no. I love my friends; they're like a family to me. If anyone ever hurt them, I...I just don't know what I'd do!" The pegasus shuddered as she remembered how she acted when Twilight needed her to go after Rainbow Dash. When they had been turned into broken reflections of their own elements. She was so angry... "I'm sorry our animals have caused you so many problems."


"It’s not your fault," Fallon assured. "I don't blame you. Come on, we need to get these manticores to the holding area," he ordered, before placing a hand on Fluttershy's mane. He patted it gently, hoping he wasn't over stepping his boundaries. She seemed to react positively to it as the two friends walked back into their transport.

--------------------------------

Friendships and bonds of brotherhood were already forming between human and pony. Both sides had their heroes willing to look past the shell of their counterpart and see that, humanity and ponies were more alike than they thought. Sadly, for every hero, there was an antithesis. But let me ask you this. What does it take to make someone a true monster?

The earth pony's eyes shot open as he fought for air, finding his throat being squeezed by a metal collar. He was trapped. No light. It was a dark, cold room. "H-hello?" He struggled to find an exit to the prison cell. There was none to be found. As he searched for a way out, he felt the room become hotter and hotter. "H-hello?! Please, help me! Where am I?!" He screamed, beads of sweat pouring down his fur.


The human scientist watching the pony burn wrote on his notes. He noted the temperature the pony began to feel sweat at, how long until the pony seemed to black out at, and how long it took the pony to die.


"How is it?" Another human asked, walking up from behind.


"Well enough. Have you found what caliber of bullet is optimal for piercing their hide?"


"Yes, sir, for each of the three subspecies. We're currently trying to find the one best for piercing minotaurs."


"Good. When you're done, there is a list of drugs and circumstances I want you to give the unicorns while they use their 'magic.' Find out how they react to each stimulates."


"Yes, sir."


The new scientist walked out of the room, leaving the other alone in the room, staring at the burned husk of the pony. He placed his notepad onto the table in front of him and rubbed his brow as he sighed. "God forgive us for what we do..." He then placed a finger on a red button and spoke into a microphone. "Bring in the next test subject."