• Published 28th Oct 2011
  • 4,613 Views, 34 Comments

The Pudge - Justanotherbrony



Pinkie Pie returns to Ponyville after a long visit to her parents rock farm. Right away, her friends notice the effects that months of her m

  • ...
4
 34
 4,613

Chapter 3

It had been three weeks since Pinkie Pie had returned to Ponyville, and her welcoming home party had already been cemented as one of the greatest in the town’s history. Sugarcube Corner had been packed to the rafters with dozens of ponies wishing to welcome back Pinkie Pie, the prime party pony of ponyville, to her hometown. The party had everything required for a truly great celebration. There had been cake and streamers and balloons and party hats and pin the tail on the pony, and most importantly of all, friends. It had been one of the happiest nights of Pinkie’s life.

Dawn was breaking. Inside the apartment above Sugarcube Corner, Pinkie Pie lay sprawled out on her back upon her bed. She was fast asleep and snoring gently under the white and red polka dot sheets. The little wooden bed sagged under the weight of the pink pony as the great polka dotted mound of her belly rose and fell in sync with her snoring. Gummi the alligator was also asleep on the bed, curled up into a little ball of green scales over his owners rear legs. As the sun began to rise, a rooster crowed from towards Sweet Apple Acres, and then Pinkie Pie’s alarm clock sounded. The filly’s blue eyes sprang open.

‘’GOOOOOOD MOR-NING E-QUESTRIA!’’ the pink pony bellowed. She sat upright on the bed, which groaned as she shifted her weight. She silenced the buzzing clock, yawned loudly, stretched out her front hooves, then looked down at the still sleeping alligator at her rear hooves with a gushing smile. Gummi was just so cute when he was asleep she thought to herself. Pinkie gently nuzzled Gummi’s head to wake him up. ‘‘Wakey waky, alligaty!’’ she cooed gently. The alligator slowly woke. Just like his owner, he yawned and stretched himself out. Then, he blinked his trade mark blink, and hoped off the bed in order to find a ball of yarn to play with.

‘‘Did my little biddy widdy scaly baby sleep well?’’, asked Pinkie. ‘‘No scary wary nightmares I hope.’’ Pinkie slumped back into a more comfortable position, resting her hoofs behind her head. As she did so, she realised that her pillow was no where to be seen or felt. ‘‘Hey, where’s my pillow? Huh, that’s weird. Well, anyway, I had a wonderful dream last night. I dreamt that I was high up in the air and afloat on a fluffy cloud just like the time I went to Cloudsdale. And I was eating a big big delicious marshmallow. It was like, as big as an applecart! It was so big it took me hours and hours to eat it! It was soooo goood! Boy, just thinking about it makes me wish I was eating a marshmallow or two right now. Hey! Now there’s an idea!’’

Pinkie smiled at the brilliance of the plan that had just taken her. She reached out and opened the draw on her bedside cabinet, to reveal a massive open bag filled with plump, fluffy marshmallows of white, pink and blue. In few seconds, Pinkie Pie had completely devoured all of them. She chewed and smacked with content, but as she did so, she give a little hiccup. A single white feather popped out of seemly nowhere, and slowly drifted away from the bed. Pinkie looked at it with confusion at first, but then she just shrugged and carried on savouring the marshmallows.

Once she had finished with the marshmallows, she threw off the polka dot sheets and climbed out of bed. It creaked and groaned once more. Pinkie slipped on her green fluffy alligator themed slippers with the little golden bells on them, and threw her dressing gown over herself. She approached the standing mirror in the corner of the room, humming happily to herself as the little bells on her feet jingled. She picked up a hairbrush and began to groom her coat and mane, to little avail. Neither could ever be tamed, no matter what she did to them. After a while, she stopped humming and brushing. Looking at her reflection, her smile slowly faded away, and she sighed. ‘‘Boy, I sure am a big filly these days aren’t I Gummi? All those yummy cakes and things have really done a number on my flanks. I’ve so much of a pudge it’s a wonder that I can still budge!’’

She shook herself and pinched her cheeks to emphasise her plumpness. ‘‘Maybe I should start laying off the baked goods, before ponies start laughing at me and calling me Rolly Polly Olly or or, Ate All The Pie or just, plain old…Fatty. You know, because I’ve become such a big fat fatty.’’ Pinkie cast her gaze down at the floor. ‘‘And what would my friends think of me then? If I embarrass them all like that? Other ponies might start laughing at them too’’. Her voice began to fill with anxiety. ‘‘And what if my friends didn’t want to be my friends or come to my parties anymore, because I was embarrassing them all by being so fat and making other ponies laugh at them!’’ Pinkie begin to panic even more. ‘‘Oh no! OH NO! I can’t lose my friends! Without them, I’d be a no pony! A big, fat pudgey no pony who nobody likes and…and I…I …hey, wait a minute. What am I saying? My friends are better ponies than that! They’d never ditch me just because I was a pudgey pony!’’

Pinkie turned away from the mirror, and went back towards her bed. She sat down on it, resting her head in her front hoofs. In the corner of the room, Gummi had located a bright yellow yarn ball, and was now busy poking it. ‘‘Why, in these past few weeks, they haven’t even said a single thing about my pudgeiness at all! And they were all so so super happy to see me again when I got back from my parents! They threw me such an amazing party! The party to end all parties! And they loved all the presents I brought for them!’’ Pinkie Pie hiccupped again. Once more, a single white feather appeared out of nowhere. This time though, she didn’t even acknowledge it.

‘‘Twilight give me a heart felt welcoming home speech, and later in the week Fluttershy took me out on a picnic so we could catch up, and Dashie has a whole bunch of pranks she wants me to help her with and…and…’’ Pinkie Pie sighed and put a hoof on her head. ‘‘Oh Gummi, I did it again! I was thinking the worst of my friends, just like at my last birthday! Ergh, I said I would never, ever, ever do that again!’’ Pinkie Pie began to rub her eyes and sniff loudly, a sure sign that tears were on the way. Gummi the alligator stopped playing with the yarn. Sensing his mistress’s distress, he scuttled over to her and began to bite and snap at her tail affectionately. Pinkie stopped rubbing her eyes and smiled at her pet.

‘‘Thanks Gummi. You always know how to cheer me up.’’ she said, patting him on the head to signal her thanks. She jumped off her bed, which almost bounced away from her, and made her way towards the stairs. The little bells on her slippers jingled once more. Pinkie Pie went down the staircase and into the kitchen. The more she thought it over, the more it seemed to her as though her friends really didn’t care about her pudge. And if her friends didn’t care, then why should she care either? Clearly, they loved her no matter what size she was. And come to think of it, there was now more of her to love! Maybe she shouldn’t be in such a rush to lose the pudge after all. And even if some ponies did laugh at her, it was probably all in good fun. Heck, even if they were being mean, meanie meanie pants for real, that was nothing that a good party couldn’t fix!

Pinkie went to the fridge were the muffins were kept. She felt like having muffins for breakfast, and she had worked up quite an appetite fretting over her friends opinion of her. She licked her lips at the thought of the crumbly blueberry delights awaiting her in the fridge. But when she opened it, they were completely gone! All of them! Only a note was left on the empty, crumb strewn plate that once held them. She read it aloud.

‘‘I…raided…your…fridge. Signed, the Mad Muffin.’’ Pinkie suddenly gasped when the gravity of the situation hit her. ‘‘Oh my gosh…Mr and Mrs Cake! MR AND MRS CAKE! QUICK, WAKE UP! WAKE UP, WE’VE BEEN ROBBED!’’