• Published 23rd Jun 2014
  • 705 Views, 22 Comments

Altered Destiny - Admiral Q Ponyform



One's Choices can alter one's destiny. The question is what is important to you? One Unicorn mare will answer the question as she faces old and new threats.

  • ...
23
 22
 705

Chapter 2 What the Hay happened to me?

Night Hammer paused to take a break from plowing. She looked around the night and noted the emptiness. It had been a few days since the bulk of the Children had decided to follow Luna, believing her to be the Princess of the Night. But Night Hammer and a couple dozen others had stayed, believing Nightmare Moon was the true Princess of the Night, awaiting her return.

But she and the others were growing concerned. It had been days since they had last seen their Princess, and what search parties they had sent out hadn't found a trace of her around. They were all worried that they had made a mistake.

A shuffling sound brought her to attention, and she looked to where it was coming from. At first, she didn't see anything, but then she noticed something tall in the trees.

“Who goes there?” she commanded. The figure stepped out of the trees to reveal Nightmare Moon, battered, bruised, and limping.

“Your highness!” Night Hammer raced over to try and support the large alicorn. “Easy there, come on. I'll get you to the healer.” Nightmare Moon said nothing, and they walked to the compound. Nightmare Moon kept her head down throughout the walk. Several ponies saw them come in and rushed over, cheering. Nightmare Moon looked over them and was saddened.

“Is this all that's left?” she asked. Night Hammer nodded.

“The rest went with Luna to Equestria.” Nightmare Moon looked over the crowd, and a small smile came on her face.

“Thank you all for still trusting me. We have a hard road ahead of us, but we can do it. Return to your chores while I rest. Surviving a blast like that is no small feat, and I need to recover.” They bowed, and went about their chores with renewed vigour. Night Hammer lead the Princess to the healer's alcove. She laid down and let the young unicorn healer look her over.

“Cuts, bruises, strains, and a few magic burns, but not too bad, all things considered. Some ointment and bandages, coupled with rest, and you'll be fine, your Highness. Oh…your hair! It isn't starry anymore.”

“I know. My connection to the moon has been severed, and that is the result. It also means my power is diminished, so we have to act carefully. Especially with so few of us now. At least the enemy that was plaguing us for years is gone.”

“Thanks to you. Rest. I'll bring you some food and drink.” Nightmare Moon nodded and just laid there. Her thoughts were only interrupted by the food.

'Yes,' she thought as she ate. 'Planning will be everything now. But our main enemies believe me dead, and as long as they think that, it will be easy for us to act.’

Months Later

Star was about halfway home when she finally grew tired. She had just traveled three days worth in one day. What the hay had happened to her? Unpacking her kit, she noticed her tent was ripped in several places. Thanking Celestia that she was a unicorn, she used her magic and repaired the damage, then set it up and took out dinner. The apple cider helped calm her.

“What a freaking day. I nearly fall to my death a couple of times, I’m nearly crushed by a collapsing castle, then I’m attacked by strange bipedal ponies and that weird dream.” With a jaw-breaking yawn, Star cleaned up and headed into the tent, hoping for a good deal of rest after such a trying day.

She found herself in a pasture in the middle of a bright, sunny day. There was one oddity, though. A door stood near her and seemed to lead to nowhere. Curious, she approached the doors. They looked like the ones she had previously seen in that weird dream. When she got close, they opened on their own and she stepped inside.

She was in what looked like a comfy office. There was red trimming in the walls. There was a gold couch with a large painting of some strange thing, maybe some kind of ship flying among the stars. She scanned the room until her eyes fell on a creature matching the ones in her dream, looking at her in surprise. She saw it lean over a bit to look behind her, and she followed its gaze, seeing the landscape she had come from on the other side of the door.

“That wasn't there when I came earlier,” the creature, who was apparently a male, said.

“I just went to bed and woke up on that plain and saw the door, so don't look at me.”

“Why not? You're the first sentient pony to walk through those doors, so that is an occasion to remember.” The creature got up and walked to her and she noticed the uniform. It was what she had worn in the dream. Before she could think further on that, he held out a claw. “I think introductions are in order. I'm Paul Rasmussen Q, Marshal Admiral in the United Federation of Planets, and commanding officer of the United Space Ship Firefox.” She raised her hoof and smiled at him.

“The name's Star Wanderer, from the land of Equestria. Adventure is my thing.”

“What kind of adventure?”

“Finding lost magical artifacts.” Q snorted.

“I should have you meet a friend of mine. You two could probably chat for hours. Now then, let's see how you ended up on my ship, and how to get you back.”

Star gave a detailed report of her adventure, and the Admiral's eyes quirked at the dream she mentioned. “Well, that is interesting, and it seems to point to me being you rather then you being here. You experienced a memory of mine that I don't remember, and that would be one that I would remember. Losing a ship is never easy, and never forgotten. You have given me much to think on, young pony.” He got up, started walking, and when he got to the doors, they opened. The scenery outside was not the grassland from before but, the bridge of a starship.

“Miss Wanderer, would you like a tour of this fine ship?”

Star smiled at him. “Might as well, just a new kind of adventure.”

Q chuckled, and they both headed out to the bridge. To say the bridge crew was shocked would be an understatement.

“At ease, Jack. We have a guest on board right now. Everyone, this is Star Wanderer.” Star raised a hoof and said a meek “hi”. A male in a red uniform stammered, “How...why....? Just when I think I have seen everything…” The Admiral put a claw on his shoulder.

“Jack, whenever you are on the Firefox or the Enterprise, never think that. They will throw you a curve just to spite you. You still have the bridge, Jack, while I take our unexpected guest on a tour of the ship.”

Star followed Q to an elevator and began their tour.

He showed her the ship’s power plant, main lounge, school area and Battle Bridge. “Why do you have two bridges?” she asked.

“It's two-fold. One, should the main bridge be destroyed or rendered uninhabitable, this can function in its place. Two, there are times when this ship needs to go into combat. Thus, to protect the civilians on board, we evacuate them onto the saucer and split the ship. During such times, this is the lower section’s bridge.” She was about to comment when the whole ship shook.

“Bridge, what was that?” barked Q.

“Don't know, sir. Our sensors don't show a thing.” Q looked at Star.

“I think I might be waking up,” she said. He nodded.

“Okay, well, I'll take care of this end. You handle yours, and I'll see you when I see you.” The next moment, she was yawning, her tent illuminated by the sun. She yawned and stretched and felt relaxed. It seemed her body had truly rested while she was with the Admiral. Well, it was time to start her day.

After a breakfast and other bodily necessities, she packed up and kept heading for Ponyville at a good clip. A very good clip. She noticed the landscape go by and the constant slight breeze she had. She was not going to complain. The faster she got to Twilight, the quicker she could figure this stuff out. At least it was a nice day.

It was nearly sunset when Star got to Ponyville. 'Amazing,’ she thought. She went right to the castle and knocked on the large doors. A familiar baby dragon opened the door. “Hey Star, Twilight said you went out adventuring. I didn't think I would see you again for a few more days.”

“Something came up. I need to see Twilight. Where is she?”

“I'll give you one guess.” In unison, they both said “The library!” They both chuckled, and Star left Spike and headed to the library.

Twilight had worked hard making her new home comfortable and pleasant, rather than leaving it with the cold sharp look it had had when it formed. She did see an occasional guard too, at both Celestia's and her brother's insistence. Twilight was forced to have a platoon of Royal guards with her now. She had fought hard against it, but had lost, with a concession that they only guard the castle, not her.

Frankly, Star agreed with Celestia and Shining Armor. The castle was not Golden Oaks Library, and was too big for just Twilight and Spike. That, however, did not stop Twilight. She may have been a princess now, but in her mind she was still the town's librarian, and not even Celestia could dissuade her. Among the first things she had done in her new castle was order books to replace those lost in Golden Oaks and set up a new library in the castle. The highest number of guards was around during the library’s open hours to keep the public out of the castle’s private areas. But the Library was closed to the public at this hour, so the guard did a patrol of the castle. Star was able to open the doors to the library and look in.

The one thing this place had over old Golden Oaks was room. Star thought Twilight was trying to rival the Royal Library, and that was probably a good idea. If a disaster befell one, the other could be safe. She found her friend immersed in a book. Star also guessed she had had to do some royal duty beforehand, for Twilight was wearing her crown. Knowing her friend, she had probably forgotten about it. That was the downside of the non-Elemental crown. Twilight had less incentive to keep track of it than its predecessor, which had the Element of Magic imbedded in it.

Twilight was so engrossed in her reading, it was just too perfect to pass up. Star sneaked towards the purple alicorn.

Twilight was deep in study on a magic theory when someone yelled in her ear.

“HEY! SPARKS!”

“EEEEEEEAAAAAAAAA!” The next thing she knew, she was halfway to the ceiling and she heard loud laughter, a familiar laughter. Looking down, she saw her unicorn friend hugging her sides, still laughing hard.

“Star Wanderer, you are so going to get it when you least expect it!” The unicorn just brushed it off.

“Nah, you’ll forget in a week.”

“You just keep thinking that. So, that was a short trip for you. Was it a bust?”

“Not quite. I've got a doozy of a story to tell you.” Star went on about what had happened at the castle ruins and during her trip back. Twilight listened intently, tapping a hoof to her muzzle throughout it all as she absorbed what her friend said.

“So…you now have a being, or maybe a part of a being, in you, that you can only talk to while sleeping. And when you do, your abilities increase. Time for the lab.” Star had just enough time to shake her head before she was pulled behind the alicorn.

“Spike! Send a message to Princess Luna. I need her here as soon as possible!”

“Got it!” Star saw a flare of green behind her as she was led down to Twilight's new lab.

After the library, the lab was the second most completed section of the castle. Very little of Twilight's original lab was salvageable, but being Celestia's former student and an Equestrian princess, she managed to replace the equipment quickly. In no time, Star found herself strapped to a series of devices.

“Okay, Star. Lift those weights and move them around.” Star nodded and focused her magic. A gold glow appeared on her horn, then around the spheres, and they were lifted to various heights. She flew them around at various speeds before forming them in that weird star delta that the admiral wore. “Okay, that's enough.” Star put them back.

“So what did you find?” Star asked. Twilight looked at the graph.

“Well, your magical aura is different than the last time I measured it. It’s a tad stronger, but what's really interesting is the brain scans.” Twilight pointed to the readings. “It's faint, but noticeable. You have two brain patterns in your head.” Star just stared in stunned shock at the implications.

“Star? Star, you okay? I know it's a lot to take in.” Star looked to her friend in shock.

“A lot to take in? Twi, I have a bucking creature living in my head, doing Celestia-knows-what to my body!” Star felt a hoof on her shoulder.

“Hey, it will be okay. From the sounds of it, this Admiral seems like a nice guy, and he wants answers as much as you do.”

“How do you know, Twi? He may not mean to, but he could change who I am. No one can understand what this is like.”

“I wouldn't be so sure of that, young unicorn.” Both Twilight and Star looked over to see Princess Luna and a black unicorn looking a bit winded.

“Princess Luna! You got here fast. Thank you,” Twilight said.

“When a fellow Princess, especially one I owe so much, says to hurry, of course I come quickly. Plus, it was a good test on Nightshadow's teleporting abilities.”

“Gee, thanks!” the unicorn groaned, causing Luna to grin. Twilight was happy for the Night Princess. Taking Nightshadow as a student had done well for her. She was even more expressive and mischievous than before. She had become much like her older sister. She approached Star.

“Twilight Sparkle has spoken well of you, Star Wanderer, and I am charmed to meet you. Now, shall we meet this guest of yours?”