• Published 9th Apr 2012
  • 1,118 Views, 8 Comments

Before Equestria - Fluttershyfan



The pegasus, unicorn, and Earth pony tribes have a long way to go to live in harmony.

  • ...
 8
 1,118

Part II, Chapter I: Of Royalty and Revolution

“Father, please,” cried Princess Platinum, her cheeks stained with glimmering blue tears, “you’re going to live. It’s too soon for you to die, father—there’s so much that I’m not ready for...”

The dying king gave a soft, mournful chuckle, wiping the tears from his daughter’s face with a trembling hoof. “Yes, dear, forbid me to die,” he groaned. “I’ll obey. I—will try.”

Looking from her father to the small crowd of unicorns gathered to pay the dying monarch their final respects, Platinum raised herself to her hooves and patted her father tenderly on the head. “I know it’s no use, father, but—but I can’t imagine my life without you. I still have so much to learn.” Carefully, she ran her hoof across his ivory mane. It was rough and curly, like dense wool—she remembered it felt much the same years ago, when she was only a filly.

“Your grandfather died when I was hardly more than a foal,” explained King Platinum. His voice was hoarse, and hardly audible. “I am happy—to have been here for you as long as I have. But now—it’s my time. You will learn for yourself what it means to rule Unicornia.”

“Y-yes, father,” Platinum replied, her lower lip quivering. It was all she could do to refrain from blubbering.

“Take my hoof,” her father requested, and the princess immediately clasped it tight against her chest. “Take—my love. Go, with my blessing—you rule over Unicornia now. Be fair—be just. Do all you can to preserve our newfound—our newfound harmony with the pegasi and the Earth ponies.”

“I will,” promised Platinum, bowing her head so that nopony could see the bitter tears form into rivers upon her cheeks. “Of course I will.”

Her father nodded. “Of course you will,” he repeated. Looking at the ornately-decorated ceiling of his bedchamber, the king closed his eyes for the final time. “I’ll go on—to something better. Live long, dear. Rule justly. Be—the great queen which I know you to be...”