• Published 9th Apr 2012
  • 1,118 Views, 8 Comments

Before Equestria - Fluttershyfan



The pegasus, unicorn, and Earth pony tribes have a long way to go to live in harmony.

  • ...
 8
 1,118

Part I, Chapter II: The Pegasus War

The pegasus clans, Commander Hurricane knew, had never failed to rally behind the strongest of their breed as sole and sovereign ruler. The battle to come would, in all likelihood, decide just who that strongest pegasus was. Hurricane was eager for the fighting to commence—he was tired of this state of uncertainty, of being just one amongst several challengers for the leadership of an entire tribe.

Today, either victory or death would end that infuriating existence. Hurricane would earn what he knew to be his birthright, or he would perish by his greatest enemy's hooves.

"You've picked an excellent battlefield, Commander Hurricane," complimented Master Trueheart, a young, earnest stallion who led King Platinum's Celestial Guard. The unicorns had come to support Hurricane as a show of faith in their new alliance, and, though the pegasus doubted his allies' military prowess, he appreciated the gesture.

"I do believe I have, Trueheart," replied the winged warlord frankly. “Dream Valley is one of the best natural defensive positions in all of Ponyland.”

The unicorn nodded. Stepping forward, one of Hurricane‘s subordinates, a blue pegasus named Torrent, added: "Garland and Alouette may have superior numbers, but they will have to concentrate them within the valley’s walls, forcing them to advance along a narrow front.”

“As long as we restrict them vertically, as well, the valley will act as a potent force multiplier for our legions,” concluded Starstrike, the lone mare among Hurricane’s senior officers. Her eyes burned with a passion for battle that Hurricane had often been told that his own possessed, but that he had seen in few others, even amongst pegasi.

“Of course,” the commander agreed, nodding in turn to each of the three ponies that had gathered for this tactical conference. “Torrent, you will lead three legions on the left flank. Starstrike, you shall take the two legions on the right. I shall command the remaining three legions in the center.”

“And the Celestial Guard?” inquired Trueheart, cocking his head.

Commander Hurricane smiled devilishly, gesturing with a contemptuous hoof towards the advancing forces of Generals Garland and Alouette. “Our enemies do not know of your arrival, Trueheart. I believe we’ll give them a rather nasty surprise...”