• Published 29th May 2012
  • 1,189 Views, 11 Comments

The Art Of The Kill - Canon Fodder



Twilight and Applejack return in this thrilling sequel to battle against a league of top assassins.

  • ...
 11
 1,189

Chapter 4: The Wedding Day

Chapter 4 The Wedding Day

As the clock ticked on, Spike walked back and forth about the library nervously and on edge. The moment he'd finally waited for. His and Rarity's wedding. Everything before Sunday didn't matter anymore. This was the day it was all going down, and Spike could nearly feel his lunch coming up. The sweat poured like a faucet and he found himself spraying on cologne every ten minutes to take the smell from his tuxedo. It was a whole twenty minutes before he would go down to meet with his bride. But the seconds felt like minutes, and the minutes felt like hours.

Finally, he forced himself to sit down and drop his head into the palms of his claws. He was excited and scared at the same time. Meanwhile, walking in from another room was Navy Blue. The Pegasus couldn't help but laugh, "I'm assuming your not taking this waiting well?"

"Yeah." Spike laughed nervously with a shaky voice, "Believe me, your going to feel this way, some day."

"I hope not." Navy chuckled again.

This was irritating the tense dragon, "Hey are you here to be my best man or crack jokes?"

With a dashing smile, Blue sat down beside him and wrapped his hoof around the Groom's shoulder, "Spike, take it easy. I'm just trying to ease you down. I'm sure everything will be fine."

"Your not the one getting married." Spike explained, "You don't know what I'm going through."

Navy nodded, "Your right, I don't know. But I do know that pacing around a room for the next twenty minutes won't ease the stress. I'm sure Rarity is feeling the exact same way right this minute."

"No way." The dragon denied, sighing, "I know Rarity, and this is the day she has been waiting for, her entire life."

The blue Pegasus stared at him for a moment, interested, "You know...The way your acting now, you remind of Fluttershy on our first date. Except at least your talking and not making high-pitch noises that only a mouse could decipher."

"What's your point?" Asked Spike, irritated and anxious.

He shrugged, "I'm just making a comparison. I may not know a lot of the thoughts running through your head right now but for as long as I've known you, you've never been this difficult to talk to. Tell me this, what is changing in your lives that's so traumatic?"

Spike's scales stuck up as the question was asked, "Your joking right? EVERYTHING CHANGES!"

"Like what?" Navy questioned back with no tone.

Then suddenly there was a spark that went off in Spike's mind and he sat dumbfounded, "Like uhhhh...I'll be moving in with her and uhhhh. We'll be spending the rest of our lives together."

"You see?" Navy Blue said grinning, "You may be moving in but everything else will be the same day in and day out routine. Except you'll be sleeping in the same house of course. You two were already spending hours and hours together anyway. There's nothing really changing except the big thing."

"The big thing?" The dragon repeated.

Blue looked into his eyes and placed his hoof on his shoulder to boost his confidence, "You two will become one...spiritually. United in love, for life. She'll guide you and you'll guide her. When one is ill, the other shall care for that one. You see what I'm getting at? With love that is as strong as your's, the two of you will be invincible as long as the love is balanced equally. It's called unity, and you two have it. Don't think of this night as the end of a chapter. Think of it as the beginning of a new chapter."

"You sounded extremely cheesy there...But I think I get the picture." Spike said as he rose and laughed, "Your right. What am I getting worked up for?"

"Exactly!" the Pegasus clopped, "You've got nothing to worry about, so let's just chill out here for the next few minutes. Just think, once you get pass the ceremony, it goes up from there."

Spike happily nodded and felt energetic, "Oh Yeah, I can't wait. This is going to be great...I almost forgot!"

He suddenly flashed around and darted up the stairs. Navy shouted up at him, "What is it Spike?"

"I have to get Rarity's neck brace. I can't believe I nearly forgot that." He called back down.

Then Blue turned around momentarily to gaze at the clock, "Well hurry up! Mr. Cake will be here soon!"

-----

Meanwhile at the Boutique, Twilight Sparkle and other girls ran frantically around Rarity, fixing her dress and fiddling with her veil. Surprisingly, She too, was nervous and antsy about the fast approaching event. As Twilight tied her dress in the back, Pinkie and Fluttershy examined her mane while Applejack kept the time. Rarity tapped her hoof impatiently, "Are you three nearly finished? I'm getting bored just standing here..."

"You want it to be perfect don't you?" Twilight questioned from behind.

"Yeah!" Pinkie Pie added, "This is the biggest day of your life!"

The Bride moaned, "Oh Please, don't remind me. I've done nothing but worry up to this point and it's beginning to become unbarable. I feel like my heart is going to jump out of my chest."

"Yer gonna do fine, Sugar Cube." AJ assured confidently.

"Oh Your just saying that to calm me down. Well it's not going to work!" Rarity shouted angrily.

Fluttershy was startled from her abrupt reaction. Then Rarity closed her eyes, sighed, then laughed, "Oh I'm sorry, girls. I just can't believe this is all happening. I'm not angry with anything, I'm just a little on edge."

"A LITTLE!" they all shouted loudly.

"Alright, alright, I've been quite rude." She corrected, "But you understand don't you?"

Twilight laughed, "Oh Rarity, of course we do, and you have every right to be acting like this. You'll feel a lot better when the vows are done and over with."

Rarity giggled, "Yeah your probably right. Fluttershy dear, roll that floor mirror over here. I want to see what I look like."

"Of course." The timid one answered as she pushed the mirror.

The three mares backed away as Rarity looked at herself in the mirror, and what she saw, was everything she could ever ask for on her wedding day. She stood proudly and gallantly in her glass horseshoes, showing off her fabulous wedding dress and her diamond earrings perched around her lobes with the veil over her head, covering her carefully prepared mane. She forced herself not to cry as it would cause damage to her make up. Not to mention that she was at a loss for words and couldn't figure out anything else to say when she turned back around and shrugged with an ecstatic look glued to her face, "...It's perfect!"

Following was an immediate five different screams and cheers within the room which made the fur of Opal stand on edge as she hissed angrily. Then among the early celebration, there was a knock at the door and the four others crowded around the Bride. Pinkie Pie called out, "Spike, if that's you then you can't come in! It's bad luck for the Groom to see the Bride before the ceremony..."

"It's me...Rarity's father." The voice assured after a brief chuckle, "It's time."

"Oh Ok!" she replied back.

As the door slowly opened, the girls left one by one with Rarity for last. But before she could make it pass the door, her father lead her back in and shut the door to take a look at her daughter with a proud smile, "Look at this...My little girl's having a wedding. You look beautiful, sweetie."

Filled with joy, Rarity bounced and embraced him, "Oh Thank you, Father!"

With his hoof, Rarity's father lifted her veil to see her face, "Your gonna make a terrific wife, I just know it."

"You really think so?" She asked hastily.

"100 percent." He smiled confidently. Then he stroked her cheek and kissed her, "I've always been scared of the day I'd have to give you away, but I know Spike will take good care of you. Just remember one thing."

The white mare sniffled and looked up at him, "Yes? What is it?"

"You, will always be my little girl." Then he placed her veil back over her face and opened the door, "It's time to go, Rarity."

She briefly giggled then slowly began to walk out of the Boutique. Then as her father followed behind her, he shut the door, then shed a tear. Symbolizing both sadness and happiness, but mostly happiness. Then side by side, they trotted down the moonlit road together as they could hear the commotion of the crowd down at the Town Square. Then what would follow, would be the longest walk of Rarity's life.

-----

Among the Town Square sat nearly all of Ponyville's citizens facing the white arch where a still somewhat nervous Spike stood atop the stage next to his best man, Navy Blue, and Doctor Whooves, who would be presiding over the wedding. There was still much talk as there was still no arrival of the Bride-to-be.

The Town Square was illuminated with lanterns and candles placed everywhere, but what gave the entire ceremony it's radiance and beauty was the full moon hanging dominantly over the sky, beaming it's blue aura over the land of Equestria. An orchestra was performing until Rarity's arrival and to Spike, the classical music could last forever. Every note was like it's own symphony as his heart wanted to leap from his chest and go to Rarity's. He was more anxious now than nervous. But his instrumental focus was soon broken as a mighty bull horn sounded, signalling the ceremony to begin. Then the music stopped momentarily and everypony quieted down.

At last, the wedding music began to tune and everypony turned in their seats to see the three Bridesmaids slowly march down the walkway, wearing their each personalized dress fashioned by Rarity herself. Soon, all three were walking between the rows of seats. First Twilight, Pinkie Pie, then Fluttershy. They were finally arriving at the alter and Spike began to sweat again, and of course he noticed this. But to his relief, Navy retrieved the hankerchief from his suit pocket and handed it over to Spike, "Thanks." He whispered.

Then next to take the walk was the Mare of Honor, Applejack, who was being accompanied from behind by the flower filly's, Applebloom, and Scootaloo. Although they sort of over done it with their excited nature. Then they were followed by the chosen ring-bearer, Sweetie Belle who levitated the small red fabric pillow with the two diamond rings placed neatly side by side in the center. Spike felt like these entrances were taking forever and began tapping his foot on the ground. Navy Blue nudged him, "Take it easy." He said through his smile.

"I'm trying." The dragon spoke back.

At last another loud, more majestic trumpet call was sounded, then Octavia took over the music with others. A pianist, and violinist. Spike stared across the long walkway and seen his soon-to-be wife slowly walking with her father and her head down as she levitated the bouquet of flowers. Each step made their hearts race and Rarity could see Spike through the veil, she was becoming happier and happier with every inch closer to one another. As she looked around, she noticed her mother was crying joyous tears then shifted her eyes back towards her father's and noticed he had been sobbing softly as well. Then up ahead she noticed Sweetie Belle with a cheerful glow of pride and glee. Looking to her left, the Bride took admiration to her maids and smiled through the veil when she seen Applejack at the end of the line.

Then last but not least, Rarity looked face to face with Spike as she and her father finally made it to the alter after the long, painful, yet thrilling trot down the rows of seats. Before Rarity's father let go, he took his daughter's hoof and kiss it once more before he shook with Spike. Now the Bride and Groom were next to each other and as the father sat down, Spike took pride in slowly lifting the veil over her face. Then the walking was finally done with as they smiled to one another, soon turning to the Doctor who wanted to begin.

He raised his hoof in the air to get the attention of the crowd, then began, "Fillies and Gentlecolts, we are gathered here today to bring these two star-crossed lovers together as one supernova, twinkling in the sky of life. Miss Rarity, and Spike the dragon. Now before I proceed, if anypony has any objection to why these two should not be wed-locked, speak now or forever hold your peace..."

There was nothing and the Doctor continued, "As part of the ceremony, the Bride and Groom have decided to present their own vows. Spike, if you could go first..."

"Gladly." He said softly, "I, Spike, do swear to love and respect my lovely wife with all my heart and stand by her always, even in the face of death, in the threat of war, rain or shine, I will always love her. I will make time for her whenever possible and will never doubt our love, even if the world was to come crashing down. That is all."

Whooves nodded, "Thank you, Mr. Spike. Rarity?"

After a short deep breath, Rarity began with a gentle giggle, "I, Rarity, do promise to love and honor my husband for as long as we both shall live and thrive in this wild thing we call life. Like you said darling, even if the world should come crashing down on us, we will have each other till the very end. We're on an all time high, we'll take all that's gone before...Doing so much more than falling love. Because we have all the time in the world...That is all."

Doctor Whooves nodded again then extended his hoof to Sweetie Belle, "May we have the rings please?"

The little filly marched gracefully to the front and presented the rings. Spike went first. Then as he took the ring and placed it on her horn, he was asked, "Do you, Spike, take Rarity to be your lawfully wedded wife, to love and to cherish, for rich or for poor, in sickness and in health, for better or worse till death do you part?"

Spike stared into Rarity's eyes and teared in one eye, proudly, and firmly answered, "I do."

Rarity smiled back as the Doctor repeated the line, "And do you, Rarity, take Spike to be your lawfully wedded husband, to love and to cherish, for rich or for poor, in sickness and in health, for better or worse till death do you part?"

She too, placed the ring on his claw then giggled happily as she said, "I do!"

Applejack and the Bridesmaids began short hops of joy following the short statement, then finally, Doctor Whooves went on to conclude the ritual of marriage, "Then by the power vested in me, by the high order of Princess Luna and with the spirit of Celestia as my witness, I now pronounce you both, husband and wife!...Spike, you may kiss your Bride."

Then the moment they've been waiting for, Spike leaned in to kiss Rarity and as they locked lips, the outro to the wedding music was performed and the crowd of ponies cheered and applauded the spectacular event. When they separated, Rarity looked back at her crying friends, every one of them was proud. Then she turned back around and bobbed her head towards the walkway, "Shall we get this party started, my dear?"

"Let's get do it, sweetheart." Spike smiled back as he wrapped his arm around her.

Then suddenly he pulled back as he remembered, "I almost forgot...This is for you."

Spike retrieved the box from behind Navy Blue and slid it over. Rarity was confused, "Oh My! What is this?"

"Open it." He insisted excitedly.

As she levitated the lid off, Rarity dropped it on sight of the 32 carat gold neck brace, garnished with dozens of tiny jewels. Her jaw dropped and Spike decided to fasten it on himself, "Allow me, Rarity."

Rarity was bewildered and flung her hooves around Spike as soon it was one, "Oh My goodness...I can't believe you could be so thoughtful. It's wonderful, darling...I love you, Spike."

"I love you, Rarity." He said back passionately, "Let's go."

To the side, Applejack, Twilight, Pinkie, and Fluttershy came together, "I can't believe how well this went tonight." Twilight said, shocked.

"I know." AJ reacted, "But ya'll gotta be happy fer em. They're gonna make a lovely couple."

"You bet!" Pinkie Pie bounced energetically.

Then as a joke, Twilight laughed as she nudged Fluttershy, "Hey, when do you think Navy Blue is going to propose?"

Fluttershy giggled back, "Oh Twilight, I don't think we're that far into it yet. Besides, he's away at work a lot and I wouldn't want to tie up his schedule. For now, let's just enjoy this wedding."

Everypony continued to clop and shout their congratulations as the newlyweds waved to the crowd. The music had changed to a much more lively action and Spike took Rarity by the hoof, "May I have this dance?"

"Of course!" she answered laughing.

Spike lead his new wife down from the stage when suddenly,

*Crack!*

The loud blast immediately silenced the entire area, then what followed were horrified gasps and outcries of horror as everypony stared down below the stage. Spike was down and not moving. Rarity fell into him and panicked, "SPIKE! SPIKE! SOMEPONY HELP!"

An abundance of ponies rushed around his body quickly which was soon halted by Twilight and the girls, "Everypony! Get back! Spike! Spike wake up!"

"Somepony get a doctor!" Pinkie Pie cried out.

There was much worry about the crowd as most of them did not yet realize what had happened. Rarity was hysterical and pleaded to the heavens as she cried horrifically, "Please don't be gone! Wake up, Spike! WAKE UP! PLEASE!"

Navy Blue rushed over and embraced the sobbing Fluttershy. Among the worried crowd, Nurse Redheart broke through and checked him over, "Don't worry. Let me see him. Somepony go get some help. I'm gonna need some assistance here!"

In the middle of the commotion, Twilight and the rest of the girls prayed for the dragon's well being. Then, Applejack heard something from the bushes behind her. She curiously and quickly turned around to see something dart away and flash onto the road, "HEY! GET BACK HERE!"

"What is it, AJ?" Twilight asked worriedly.

Applejack swiftly removed her dress and fixed her hat, "Ya'll stay here to make sure Spike is ok..."

"Why?" She questioned again.

"I think I just seen the pony who just did that." Then before Sparkle could say anything else, Applejack galloped off to chase down the hooded figure that was running a good pace through the dark of the night.

As she got closer, the wind was blowing against her and the assassin got faster, kicking some rocks back to throw her off but it didn't even make her stir. Then Applejack pushed forward and got side to side with the assailant. Angrily, she swerved into the side of the suspect and tried to knock it down, "Yer not gettin away! I'm demandin that you stop."

Then the hooded pony looked at her. AJ could just barely see the smirk that shined off the moonlight. Then it looked up ahead and ran faster towards a nearby coach on the side of the road. Then AJ too, looked ahead and see two more hooded ponies waiting for their associate. It was at this point when Applejack realized, this was an assassin. To prevent escape, she swiftly bit the cloak and tried pulling back. Then out of despiration, the criminal slowed down and leaned into her. Among the darkness, they could not know which one of them stumbled as they crashed and rolled around on the ground, flailing at one another. Applejack got a couple of good shots in but the short combat did not last as the assassin retrieved a concealed knife and sliced her leg. AJ hollered as the assailant sprang to escape but she didn't let it get the last laugh as she leaped from the ground grabbed on to the cloak. Although to her dismay, the cloak ripped and she painfully scrapped the ground as she looked ahead on the ground and seen the suspect jump into the back of the coach with the two others.

Then as quick as the encounter was, they were gone and Applejack felt pitiful. She sat up in the middle of the lonely, moonlit road and began to sob into her hooves. She cried for Spike, and pleaded that he was alright. But she wouldn't know until she trotted back. In pain, Applejack picked herself up and began to make the long trail back, but before she got too far, she remembered that she had ripped part of the cloak. She turned back and took it with her as it could possibly be used to find out who the attacker was and why they targeted Spike.

[...To be continued]