• Published 29th May 2012
  • 1,186 Views, 11 Comments

The Art Of The Kill - Canon Fodder



Twilight and Applejack return in this thrilling sequel to battle against a league of top assassins.

  • ...
 11
 1,186

Prologue / Chapter 1: Premarital Jitters

Prologue... [Recalling from "Equestria Is Not Enough". To my readers who have not read my previous fic, this is the sequel to "Equestria Is Not Enough". If you wish to refrain from unfortunate spoilers, turn back and read my other fic. But if you already have or do not wish to, then so be it and read (This is why I have prepared the prologue). But you may find the loose ends of this story to come easier if you have read the other story...Enjoy.]

A couple years back, the land of Equestria had just come out of their darkest era since Discord. A dangerous legacy that was on the verge of becoming a reignited war between the Griffins of the Nydeabaen Kingdom, and ponies of Equestria.

The psychotic plan was unveiled by the insanity that was, Nova Sparks. A ruthless and powerful pony who, with his league of banished outcasts, took the land of Equestria for their own in a rebellious and hostile take over of Celestia's power.

After his rise to power, he announced himself as the new dictator of Equestria and vowed to rule with an iron hoof. Along with his No.2 and No.3 stallions, Bradshaw Buckingham and Comet, he commanded an army of burly canines and brainwashed ponies. Soon after his plans for project: meteor were revealed, Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash must bring harmony and hope back to their land once more.

They also learn the magic that Nova used was unlike any magic they had ever seen. A dark magic produced by a special meteorite that hit the planet centuries ago, manarite. With his technology and manarite mine, Sparks became nearly untouchable, and unmatchable in terms of magic.

In a matter of days, the land was Nova's to control, and all seemed hopeless. But after discovering that the elements of harmony could prevail, the trio embarked on a quest to free their captured comrades, Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and Spike from the clutches of Nova Sparks.

After Nova left the kingdom on "Business", Comet was left in control, and quickly failed as Applejack rescued her family and many other captured ponies...except the ones she was hoping for. And after Twilight delivered a passionate speech of a counter-rebellion to the city of Canterlot, it was written.

Along with a new team of freedom fighters, Twilight, AJ, and Dash were on their way to the canyon to end Nova's reign once and for all. But time was of the essence as they learned that Nova's missile known as meteor was to be launching soon and they were forced to hurry.

Nova explained the meaning of his scheme and everypony learned his missile was meant to spark a violent war between their neighboring mountain kingdom, Nydeabaen, home of the Griffons. As both of their armies would dwindle in sizes, Nova's psychotic mind conjured a counter-assault later on to enslave the mountains and excavate precious ores from inside the mountains. This plot scared the girls and they were motivated to prevail, or all was lost.

While being imprisoned for a such a long time, Pinkie Pie vowed to silence over the death of her former ruler, Fluttershy was left puzzled with her surroundings of a dark dank dungeon inside the manarite caverns. Meanwhile, afraid it may be his last chance, Spike came to terms with his feelings for Rarity and revealed to her that he had loved her since the day they met. Now with death facing them, they must pray something will liberate them.

But as the love story goes on, it is interrupted and Nova later demands the execution of Spike the dragon. Then, Bradshaw Buckingham forced a brainwashed Rarity to do the honors. But to Spike's amazement, Rarity broke free of the trance and the both of them managed to escape and finally reunite with their companions, Applejack, Twilight, and Rainbow.

A massive assault unfolded within the mines and the small number of freedom fighters tried to push through the wall of elite forces and various miners. Then later, Rainbow manages to destroy Nova's machinery and break their way into the secret development lab for the missile.

Another brawl ensued with more at stake. To all of the freedom fighter's dismay, the missile was fired and the only hope of stopping it was in mid-air. So Rainbow was sent to fetch it while being chased by the possessed Wonderbolts.

While the conflicts were beginning to boil down, Big Macintosh got into the fight of his life with the stallion who burned down his precious home, Bradshaw. Then when his sister Applejack arrived to help, Big Mac had lost the battle and died next to her with a fatal wound. This unleashed a violent lust for revenge inside the country pony and she was face to face with her biggest fight.

Twilight Sparkle in the meantime had learned Trixie was working with Nova all along and is eventually confronted by her, claiming it was she who had slandered and ruined her life and planned on paying the cost with Twilight's life. But the sympathetic Unicorn tried to talk it out of her.

Dash on the other hoof, finally caught up to the bomb and disabled it along with the revitalized Wonderbolts who promised to reward the brave Pegasus with an honorary membership into the Wonderbolts. The prize at first filled Rainbow with utter glee, but she knew there were more important matters at hoof and must return to the mines. The Wonderbolts followed.

After fighting a handicapped fight with an injured leg, Applejack managed to fight off the southern steed and avenged her brother. Following a brief, emotional moment, AJ came along to Twilight's aide, but was forced to remain out of the conflict as Trixie seemed threatening.

But words eventually calmed the disturbed spirit of the blue mare as she broke down and apologized for her massive ego and treasonous ways of working with Sparks.

Now with Applejack gone to get the other girls, Sparkle confronted Nova one last time and soon found herself in a magical battle and nearly lost until her friends return to rekindle her spirits. And with a friendship powered confidence, the girls used the elements to render Nova's magic useless and blasted him and his magic away.

Sparks' army and empire is defeated and the girls inform Spike to lead the freedom fighters back home as they must quickly disable the missile before anypony else gets to it. But learning that it will take much more effort, the girls decided to take it back to Ponyville in safe keeping...But they are met with their own doomsday.

In the dark sky of Equestria, Nova's airship known as the Supernova was doomed to crash into Ponyville, vaporizing the town, and even Canterlot. But Rainbow Dash's everlasting loyalty shows full force as she decided to take her own life, and was lost inside the ship with Nova as she flew the bomb up to the ship and activated it after a hard fought fight with the vindictive Nova Sparks.

Rainbow's motive was to die and let live and she would be forever remembered for it while she and many other victims of Nova's reign would be honored on a plaque in the town of Ponyville. Declaring closure to a dark chapter and beginning anew. A better life, in Equestria.

Many inner conflicts were resolved; Princess Luna has returned from her forced exile due to Nova's magic, Pinkie Pie is made co-owner of Sugar Cube Corner, Fluttershy came out of her shell of shyness (somewhat), Rarity and Spike announced their marriage, Applejack returned to family life on her new ranch, and Twilight returned to her studies of friendship as she did before Nova had came along. All was fine, Sparks was gone. Rainbow Dash had made the ultimate sacrifice...For Equestria...

Chapter 1 Premarital Jitters

It has been a full two years since the events of Nova Sparks' rebellion took place, and Equestria has never flourished better. With a new era of peace and greater outlook on life, Equestrians are more closer as a civilization. Ponies could honestly say that the incidents a couple years ago never happened and anypony would believe them. With the exception of the still highly respected Princess Celestia. But shortly after the memorial of the honored in what was now known around Equestria as "Victims of the Novan Regime", Princess Luna was inaugurated as her successor.

She later announced and rewarded Twilight Sparkle and Applejack with the high honor of being official members on her Royal Guard. During the times outside her duties, Twilight resumed her studies of friendship as often as she could. Though most of the pressure leaned on Applejack. She still had an entire ranch to maintain, and with Big Macintosh gone, it wasn't easy. But Applebloom was getting older and every Apple family member got their fair share of work at her age. Lately though, all the talk around Ponyville was about the upcoming marriage of Spike and Rarity. An event that they have dreamed about for the longest time, and now finally ready to tie the knot. Away in New Buck City, Rarity and Twilight scampered around in search of Rarity's perfect dress.

"Oooh How does this one look, Twilight?" Rarity asked cheerfully.

The purple pony bobbed her head slowly, "...Looks good Rarity..."

Rarity frowned, "Darling, are you falling asleep?"

Trying to deny it, Twilight shot up abruptly, "No! I'm still awake. I'm just...trying to sufficate a fly with my eye."

Her awkward tone did nothing, "Oh Please Twilight Sparkle, face it. You were nodding off on me."

"Well we have been looking at dresses for five hours, it gets a little mundane after a while." Sparkle said yawning.

The elegant mare nodded nervously, "Well I guess I have been getting a little carried away..."

Twilight cocked an eyebrow, "A little?"

She slammed her hooves down, "Oh Alright I've gone off the rails."

"Couldn't you have just Oh I don't know, DESIGNED your own dress? You forget you design dresses for a living right?" The exhausted mare pointed out.

Rarity nodded while she flicked through more gowns on the rack, "Yes I know but this is New Buck City! Somewhere in this vast city is the dress for me. I won't rest until I find it."

Twilight paused for a moment then facehooved, "You know it took Spike five minutes to pick out his suit right?"

"Oh Trust me Darling. Your gonna be the exact same way when you have your wedding." Rarity chuckled. "Although it's too bad Fluttershy couldn't make it. I mean not to offend you, Twilight, but your not exactly the most fashionably knowledged in Equestria."

"No offense taken." Sparkle smiled happily. "I agree with you 100%."

The white mare flicked through the last few gowns on the rack, then gave up, "Oh Goodness...There's nothing here! Time to hit the next store."

Twilight's eye began to twitch, "Sssssuuuuuure. Let's go to ANOTHER store."

"Oh Calm down." Rarity laughed, "I only want to check one more today. That's all."

With a concealed sigh of relief, Twilight smiled, "Well let's get to it. My hooves are getting sore."

-----

"Oh I just can't decide on what to wear!" Rarity hollered, trotting through the crowded streets.

Twilight gazed around the flashy city and stared at all the wedding billboards, "Hmmm Any of these seem any good to you?"

She shook her head cheerlessly and unimpressed, "Oh Goodness No. We've tried all these shops...I can't believe it's been 5 hours and we STILL haven't found anything!"

Suddenly somepony overheard her predicament and approached her with a solution, "Hello! Forgive me but I overheard your trying to find a wedding dress?"

Sparkle and Rarity nodded happily, "Why yes we are! Can you help us?" Asked Twilight eagerly.

The civilian smiled and pointed to one of the newest billboards, "I think you girls should try Majestic's Jewels. They got tonnes of fancy stuff in there...Although I hope your planning on spending a lot."

"At this point, we'll take anything." Twilight laughed.

Rarity agreed, "Yes yes yes yes YES. Anything will do...Wait, I've never heard of Majestic's Jewels before."

"That's because they just opened yesterday. They've only got two other shops. Actually I heard they might be trying to get one in Canterlot City too." Said the local.

The girls didn't care, they were in a hurry, "Well well, thank you for the help. Happy shopping!" Rarity thanked as they galloped off across the busy streets.

Shortly after, nearly getting hit by a speeding stage coach, the girls burst into the store and immediately took admiration to the abundance of beautiful gowns and jewelry, despite the enormous prices. They approached the clerk's desk to ask for assistance, "Excuse me, could we get some help please?" Rarity asked gallantly.

"Welcome to Majestic's Jewels. How can I help you?" The clerk greeted.

Rarity smiled at the handsome stallion, "Hellooooo. Me and my friend here were wondering if you could help moi find a perfect wedding gown?"

The stallion chuckled and nodded, "Why of course. Miss?"

"Rarity." She smiled.

The clerk exited his booth, "Ah Miss Rarity...Come along you two. I'll introduce you to Mr. Silver. He's the expert on this sort of thing."

-----

He lead the girls through the department store and brought them to an upstairs compartment. They stopped next to an office door and the clerk knocked. A voice was heard from the inside, "Who is it?"

"Ahem...It's me! We have a couple customers here looking for a wedding dress." He called.

Then suddenly the door opened and a white-grey, unicorn stallion dressed in a suit stepped through with a welcoming smile on his face. His mane was blonde and his tail was medium length with measuring tape around his neck, "Ah I'll take it from here...Good afternoon ladies, I am Sterling Silver. Vice President of the Majestic's Jewels franchise. Also tailor extraordinaire."

"Hello Mr. Silver." Twilight greeted cheerfully, "I'm just warning you now, this is a very picky mare to deal with."

Sterling stared at her for a moment, "My friend, I have never met a challenge I haven't conquered. Come along."

He lead them down the halls and came to long rack filled with wedding gowns of all kinds. Then there was a small stage where Sterling placed Rarity for a moment and looked at her. He got her to turn at some moments and fix poses. Twilight was confused, "What are you doing?"

"Examining." He answered, falling back into his work.

After a tedious five minutes of awkward poses. Silver paused them and disappeared into the wall of dresses, "Where is he going?" Twilight asked.

Rarity shrugged, then no sooner as he left them, he reappeared holding an elegant dress that was Rarity's exact measurements and decorated with diamonds and amethysts. She instantly fell in love with the dress and her eyes sparkled with envy. Sterling smiled, "Personally, I think this dress will do."

"...I...must, HAVE IT!" Rarity beamed with ecstasy.

She flashed into the dressing booth and later reappeared with a perfect fit with colors that matched perfectly, "I don't believe it...It's absolutely marvelous! Oh I'll take it!"

"Hang on!" a skeptical Twilight cut in, "Just exactly how much will this dress cost?"

Sterling reached over at one of Rarity's legs and revealed the price tag, "1,400 bits. Not including the fitting examination I just gave you. This is also our floor model, so we have to ship in another. So there's the order fee, delivery fee. Oh As well as taxes."

The sound of cash registers tolled inside Twilight's head and her jaw dropped, "This dress is going to cost more than most of the wedding arrangements!"

Rarity began to frown, "Oh But Twilight it's so...Me! I simply must have it."

Silver chuckled and shook his head, "Oh It's actually much more convenient than you are assuming. We have an easy-pay program which is perfect for ponies who are not as...Financially blessed as some others are. You can pay this off in lump sums with the minimum being 100 bits a month."

"Hmmm, Well that doesn't sound too bad I guess." Sparkle thought, "Alright, if Rarity says it's fine, then I do too. Ring us up."

-----

Soon, back at the clerk's desk, Sterling wrote down the information and checked through a folder, "Alright, Now that we've got your mailing address and other credentials written down, there is a down payment of 200 bits. After that, I'll have you sign this contract and you can expect your dress in about four days. Does this meet your satisfaction, Miss Rarity?"

She nodded graciously, "No problem at all, Mr. Silver. I thank you very much."

"Please...It was a pleasure, have a wonderful day." He joyfully grinned back.

With her magic, Rarity levitated the feather and signed her name on the contract and trotted out the door with Twilight Sparkle at her side, wearing a gleeful expression of excitement.

Sterling concealed the document into a folder and placed it underneath the counter in a drawer, then smiled even harder as he turned to the clerk, "Meet me in my office after hours. We have a wedding to discuss."

He grinned wittily, "But of course, Mr. Silver. I'd be glad to."

-----

That evening, back in Ponyville, Spike emerged from the library and made his way down to the Town Hall, where he could notice the decorations laid out and positioned around the building, symbolizing the rapidly arriving wedding. He stumbled around the moonlit night, admiring the regal arch, white streamers, and pink and violet roses that were all placed to represent the purity and happiness of the wedding. He sighed.

Then out of the corner of his eye, he noticed somepony trotting towards him. Spike turned around and waved, "Hiya, Applejack. What are you doing in Ponyville this late at night?"

The farm pony giggled, "Just had to deliver a crate of apples. Never mind me. Better question is, what're are YOU doin here, Spike? The weddin's not till next week. Aren't ya a little early?"

The purple dragon laughed nervously, "Yeah I know. I just wanted to come down and see how the preparations were coming along. You and the girls didn't have to do all this for us. I would've been fine with something simple."

Applejack raised a brow and smirked, "Ya know yer marryin Rarity right? With her, it's anythin BUT simple."

With a self-inflicted smack to the head, Spike laughed, "Right."

"You alright Spike? You seem a little ummm, nervous." AJ asked with concern as she noticed his legs quivering.

"Well wouldn't you be too?" He questioned back anxiously, "Me and her will be with each other for the rest of our lives. It's a huge step! I just don't know if I'm ready for it."

"...Sit down sugar cube. It's about time we had a little talk, you and I." Applejack suggested.

They walked over to a park bench and plopped down, and gazed up at the stars. AJ continued, "Now haven't ya'll been together fer over a couple years now? Boy howdy, you two were engaged for a whole year. You see each other everyday and spend nearly every waking moment when ya'll can. How can ya possibly think that yer not ready?"

The puzzled dragon lowered his head into his claws, "It's not the same, AJ. This is marriage. I'll be moving in and like I said, We'll have the rest of our lives together, and I'm afraid to fail her. Family life seems way too difficult."

"This comin from the dragon that practically killed himself liking her?" Applejack joked, attempting to heighten his spirits.

"But what if I DO mess up? I can't turn back time." Spike sighed.

Applejack knew he was depressed, and tried to give him some confidence, "Listen here, anypony, well any dragon in yer case, that can handle the responsibilities of maintaining a library, and show such devotion to their fiancee, I'm sure, will make one great husband...It's natural to feel nervous Spike, and if you don't think Rarity is feelin the same way right now, yer dead wrong."

The dragon nodded slowly, then gazed up at the stars with a smile, "I wonder what Rainbow would say..."

AJ placed her hoof around Spike, "Believe me, she'd tell you to go fer it. Everythin's goin to be fine Spike. Everypony is nervous about weddins. Ya got nothin to worry about. Rarity is a very understandin pony...Most of the time anyway."

Spike laughed and stood up and stretched, "Yeah I see where your getting at. I guess if she feels the same I do, we'll be fine."

"I know you'll be, hun." She winked with a healing smile.

He continued to nod then wrapped his arms around her, "Thanks a lot Applejack, you're a good friend."

"Ah Shucks, simmer down now. Yer embarrassin me." She blushed.

"Well I better get back to the library and clean up." He suddenly said eagerly, "I got a telegram from Twilight and they'll be back from the city tomorrow morning."

"Good night, Spike." AJ chuckled, "I'll see ya'll tomorrow."

"See ya!" Spike waved.

-----

Later that night, aboard the train bound to Ponyville, Twilight was sleeping soundly away in her and Rarity's booth while Rarity herself remained awake, staring up at the moon and humming away to a song. She eventually began to tune louder as she drifted off into her mind, which soon awakened Twilight. Sparkle peeped down from her bunk and noticed Rarity still humming the tune. She rubbed her eyes and checked the clock. Twilight yawned as she turned back down to her puzzling friend, "R-R-Rarity? It's 3 in the morning...What's up?"

Not noticing, Rarity jumped from surprise and briefly laughed it off, "Oh Twilight. I'm terribly sorry. I couldn't sleep so I decided to watch the stars."

"Your doing a lot of humming too." She added wearily.

"Oops Hehe, My apologizes. I'm just thinking about a few things." She muttered as she ascended from her bunk and placed her hoof on the window.

Twilight nodded and stretched back in her bed, "Oh I see. What about?"

Rarity turned back at her with sparkling eyes of worry and wrapped her robe around herself then sat back down next to the chilly window and peered across the night sky, "Do you think I'm ready for this, Twilight?"

"Mmmm Ready for what?" She asked after a long yawn.

"This marriage." Rarity replied as she removed and played with the diamond earrings Spike had proposed with in her hooves.

Twilight Sparkle sat up and glanced below at her with a positive grin, "Well personally, I think you two have given enough time to be with each other for me to answer yes. But in the end, it's you, yourself that has to decide...I think you'd make a wonderful wife, Rarity. You two are perfect for each other. I've never seen a happier couple."

Again her bubbly eyes glistered among the moonlight as she looked up, "Are you sure? Because do tend to notice how I act sometimes. I'm not sure if my Spike will like living with me. I can be very moody and not even try."

"Your going to be fine." Twilight assured, "These premarital jitters are completely natural. You two have practically spent almost every day together anyway. Trust me, your going to be so excited in the next few days, you won't be able to wait to get married."

"Oh I suppose your right." Rarity smiled thankfully.

Twilight smiled back then fell back into her covers, "Besides you already signed a contract and put the down payment on that dress. That's not something you want to just throw away."

Rarity suddenly perked up with joy, "Oh I nearly forgot about the dress! Can't you imagine me in it?"

"I don't have to." Sparkle answered quickly, "You pranced around the store for half an hour before we got to order it."

"Oh I can't wait for next week to get here." The eager bride hopped gleefully.

Twilight laughed, "See what I meant? You two are going to make the perfect married couple. Have you two decided on where your going for the honeymoon?"

Rarity sat down on her bunk then placed her hoof on her chin, "Well were either going to take a scenic tour in a stagecoach for a few days, or spend a week in Canterlot. We simply cannot choose. We may have to draw it out of a hat. But what ever my Spiky Wikey wants, it's fine with me."

With another extended yawn, Twilight smiled down at her, "Those sound like lovely ideas...Now why don't you go back to bed. We have to get up early."

She gladly nodded, "But of course. Thank you, Twilight. It's good to have such an intelligent friend like you around......Twilight?"

Rarity stood up to check on her, then realized she had already fallen asleep. With a subtle burst of laughter, Rarity winked at her friend then went back to bed with a greatly relieved mind and a boost of confidence for the wedding. As she went to close her eyes, she looked out at the moon one last time and sighed happily, "Good night, my Darling Spike...See you in the morning."

[...To be continued]