• Published 29th May 2012
  • 1,186 Views, 11 Comments

The Art Of The Kill - Canon Fodder



Twilight and Applejack return in this thrilling sequel to battle against a league of top assassins.

  • ...
 11
 1,186

Chapter 6: Intuitive Espionage

Chapter 6 Intuitive Espionage

It was almost dusk and Con Mane and the girls were fitting into their stealth gear for the siege on top of a secluded cliff on the outskirts of Lochrest. The royal guards pulling the chariot waited for Con to give them their leave. He retrieved his saddlebag from the back of it and threw over two watched, "Take these, they'll come in handy in a pinch."

"What are they? Besides a watch." Applejack asked dangling it with her hoof.

The spy used his magic and fixed the watch on her hoof to explain it's abilities, "It has three functions; an intermediate powered laser beam, good for cutting through wires and creating openings inside of metals. Second, a decoder. Capable of getting pass any security system or bypassing any and all password systems. Third, an identifier. All you have to do is fill in some of the traits of somepony you're looking for, then it will search the database to find a match. This watch has saved my life from time to time and I doubt it won't do the same for you two."

"Great!" Twilight replied happily, "Everypony ready?"

Equipped and dressed, they were prepared. Each of them dressed in a black hooded stealth suit and equipped with everything they'd need in their saddlebags. Con Mane nodded as he heard some commotion in the short distance, "I believe so...Give me a moment, I'm going to climb over that hill there and see how tight security is."

Quickly and quietly, Mane glided over the ice and snowy terrain with his stomach almost touching the ground and peered down form the top of the hill. There he stared down into the city of griffons and found guards at every corner. He groaned and thought to himself, "If we keep going around the boundaries of the city we should have no problem making it to the compound no later than an hour."

He scurried back and found the girls stirring up a conversation. Without delay he trotted over to the guards and alerted them to go. As he watched the chariot disappear around a corner, Mane padded the girls on the back to get their attention, "Alright ladies, listen up."

The stallion withdrew a map of Lochrest from his saddlebag and discussed the plan, "Where to first?" AJ asked almost whispering.

Con glided his hoof over the map as he explained, "We're going to travel around the perimeter of the city until we make it to this corner right here. From there we'll climb this building and go over the roof tops until we finally make it to what they call the Red Square. That's where the Hall of the Mountain Kings is located. More than likely it'll take us about forty-five minutes to trot around. I mean the Square isn't too far away when we get to this point here."

"Sounds good." Twilight Sparkle grinned, "Let's get going."

Con Mane folded the map back up and returned it to his saddlebag then lead them up the hill, "I almost forgot. Watch out for aerial forces. The griffons are right in the middle of an election and they will not tolerate outsiders."

-----

"General, your views on our economy is simply farfetched. You do not realize the true validity of the relationship between our governments. Our comrades are suffering and you are suggesting to open the trades with the Equestrians? If our civilization elects you another term, it may be the end of the mighty griffon empire as we know it!"

"That's quite enough, comrade Milova. Your response?" The debate moderator turned to a half-built middle-aged griffon with a military uniform over a shirt and tie.

Glide took a moment to peer around at his fellow candidates and smirked at his main rival, Talon Milova. The half-lion fixed his podium then cleared his throat, "Comrades the Union has been through a terrible resession as of late but for nearly fifty years we have been sent an abundance of letters from Equestrian Royal Family. All wanting to close our century long silence. I see no downfall from approving this. This can decrease exporting costs and flourish the international market. Not to mention unite our two kingdoms once and for all. I find this typical silent treatment childish! Equestria posts no threat to us. They are land folk, we are mountain folk. Comrades, I have been a Mountain King for twelve years and I have watched this economy suffer and suffer into a depression. Comrade Milova is suggesting to raise the taxes and close military posts in other regions of war. Not only is that a very dangerous option, it is economic suicide! I repeat, opening the import and exports to Equestria will break barriers and bring forth a recovery within a matter of two years or less..."

After a long pause the Hall exploded with cheers and applauding from other griffons. Georgi saluted with a smile full of pride and even noticed the Supreme King of Nydeabaen himself was nodding his head in agreement.

-----

Following the debate the candidates departed and went their separate ways. General Glide began making his way to his office when he was met with Milova crossing a four way intersection in the hallway. They stared at each other briefly then shook claws, "Great show out there tonight, General. You put an impression on King Clawfeld."

Glide chuckled as he continued to focus on his competitor's eyes. He knew Talon was losing in the polls and was trying to get on his good side. To please his opponent he went along with it, "Thank you, comrade. I'll say that these debates can bring out the worst in men. But it brings out the best in politicians. I know there are nine seats available but only one PM. I'm sure I'll see you on the council. Just don't count on making Prime Minister, Dr. Milova."

"Count your blessings, Georgi." Milova warned with a cocky smirk, "This election is far from over."

With that they concluded shaking claws once more and went their own ways. As he watched his opposition go around a corner, General Glide shook his head, "Common deceiver..."

-----

"Alright girls, we're just about there." Con Mane whispered.

The girls carefully crouched down and the three of them peeked over the hill to find soldiers marching up and down the street and an alley ways just ahead of them. They sat for five minutes pondering up an approach until Twilight finally noticed an entry point, "Look down there. The soldiers are coming from that street, and it looks like there's no more after this little rush. That should give us one quick minute to get across."

"Are you sure?" Applejack questioned critically, "This could end really badly if this all goes wrong."

"Oh Don't fret, Applejack. Twilight knows what she's talking about."

Sparkle grinned, "Thanks, Rarity..."

The trio looked puzzled for a moment. They turned around and shock spread over their faces when they found Rarity right behind them. Applejack crouched down next to her, "How in the hay did you get here?!"

"And WHAT are you doing here?" Twilight added.

"Calm down!" she whispered loudly, "I just HAD to come."

Twilight shook her head with worry, "You shouldn't be here. It's too dangerous!"

Annoyed and angry, Rarity forced her down and covered her mouth over, "Now listen to me! All of you! Spike is my husband. I want to find out personally WHO was behind the attack. Before you left, I got my possessions packed and climbed into the back of the chariot under the blanket. I jumped off as they went around that corner and have been following you three for the past hour. I'll also add that there is absolutely nothing that will change my mind. I'm not leaving. This ruffian that hurt my Spiky is still out there and I won't rest until he or she is dealt with...Any objections?"

As she was ranting, Rarity had held up AJ by the coller and she was breathing heavily. Twilight and Applejack were slightly intimidated by her intense passion for vengeance. Rarity assumed they were fine with her there after an awkward pause. Then suddenly Mane whistled over and waved them to come up, "Ladies let's get going. We have an opening."

Without hesitation the girls including Rarity picked themselves up and climbed over the steep hump of the hill. Con Mane looked back and forth one more time to assure nopony was coming then counted down, "Alright on three. One...Two, Three!"

All four ponies slid stealth-like down the snow drift then galloped across the street as fast as they could. They ducked into the alley shortly after, exhausted. Applejack pressed her hoof against her chest. Her heart was about to leap out of her body, "Boy howdy! That was nerve rackin."

Then unexpectedly, Mane wrapped his hoof around AJ's shoulder and laughed panting, "Believe me my dear. This is nothing. First timer?"

"Get yer hooves off me!" she coiled back angrily.

"No need to snap back at me like that." He defended with a dashing grin.

Twilight Sparkle and Rarity waved ahead, "Never mind that! We have to get going."

"Agreed." Con nodded as he approached a nearby ladder, "Up here. We'll be able to see the hall from there."

As they began ascending, Applejack noticed something, "Hey is it just me or is this thing made of marble?"

"Every building in this kingdom is made of marble rock." Twilight answered up ahead, "The griffons are famous for their artistic skills with sculptures and architectural structures."

Soon after they had all made it to the top of the building they were scaling, they found Twilight's analysis true. As vast as the city of Lochrest was, every single figure around was made of marble. Everything looked the same except some structures that were taller than others. The four ponies trotted across the roof and jumped to the next, and soon they noticed something a little off in the distance. Standing portentously in all of it's glory was a statue of a griffon placed atop the roof of the building that was the Hall of the Mountain Kings. Twilight pointed to it, "That's where we'll find the General."

"Looks like we're finally gonna get some answers." Applejack acknowledged eagerly.

"Let's get going then!" Rarity whispered impatiently as she ran and jumped another roof.

The others swiftly followed behind her in hopes of soon getting to the bottom of the investigation. They bounded over thirty rooftops to eventually reach their goal. It had taken them nearly twenty minutes due to breaks along the way. All four of them, especially Rarity felt dragged out when they arrived at the Red Square, "My poor hooves are absolutely exhausted. This is no way for a lady such as myself to be going on like this."

"Oh Pipe down, Rarity." AJ snapped, annoyed and agitated, "Ya didn't have to come with us y'know."

The white Unicorn snickered, "Well aren't we fussy? Angry that I got here before you did?"

"Nooo I'm jus not in the darn mood to be puttin up with yer foalish attitude!" Applejack whispered loudly.

To prevent breaking their cover, Twilight stepped in, "Girls. Stop it. This is no way to be acting right now. I know we're all a little on edge right now but that doesn't give us reason to jump down our friend's throats."

"Alright, alright, I'm sorry. Your right, Twi." Applejack frown with humiliation.

Rarity agreed and let her ears sink back, "I am too. My apologizes, Applejack. I should know better."

Again, Con Mane spoke up from the commotion, "Girls over here, there's another ladder."

Hastily they scurried over and met with their charming ally, "Ok what's next?" Rarity pondered.

"Alright here's the plan. Once the coast is clear, we're going to slide pass the security and enter the building from behind. From there our maps will not help us. We'll have to find Glide ourselves. He should have an office in there, somewhere...Come on, let's go."

Very quickly, Con and the girls climbed down and made their way across to the building as they seen six guards walk around a corner. The spies moved ahead and glued themselves to the wall and began sliding across it until they arrived at the corner where they watched the six griffons pass. Twilight and Mane peeked their heads over and found the six guards waiting outside the backdoor. Two of them were striking up a conversation while another three relaxed. The remaining one was smoking a pipe. Suddenly it began to snow...fast. It turned the sky brown and made lights around the city brighten as it reflected and illuminated off the falling snowflakes. It caused Con to smile as he reached into his saddlebag, "Perfect."

"What's perfect?" Twilight asked curiously.

The spy didn't reply as he retrieved a small black ball from his bag. He moved Twilight aside to focus on the guards. Then with keen smirk, Mane threw the ball and retreated back around the corner. Sparkle grabbed him by the shoulders and whispered loudly, "Are you crazy? Your going to get us--"

"Quiet!" the stallion interrupted, covering her mouth.

The four carefully peeped around the corner and seen the ball roll up to them. It managed to tap one of the guard's talons as he was doubting his pipe. Then he picked it up and notified his colleagues. They spoke a foreign language that Mane and the girls couldn't translate. Then as the six guards were examining the ball, it created pours in itself and released a gas that took each of them by surprise. After inhaling the substance they dropped the ball and reached for their weapons. But as they looked around their vision became blurry and shortly after, all of them fell to the ground unconscious. The girls' jaws dropped. Con laughed with a witty response, "Well who ever smelt it...fell from it. Let's go ladies...After you, Ms. Applejack."

AJ huffed as she went ahead of him. They approached the guards. Twilight having an idea, spoke up, "Take their uniforms."

"But won't the griffons notice anyways? We ARE ponies after all." Applejack pointed out.

"Well just turn and face the wall when someone walks by, they won't notice the difference." Sparkle suggested.

Con Mane agreed, "Hurry up, the gas is only good for a half hour."

So Mane and the girls took the coats and hats of the guards and placed it on themselves. Then they opened the back door and entered in through the Hall. The girls were astonished with the inside of the building. That rough, cold, marble exterior contained a beautiful, hard wood floor with artwork, red walls, majestic flags, and portraits of old kings. It was a palace for the Mountain Kings.

The four tried to act normal as they marched down the long halls. Con Mane was having no trouble, but the girls were scared they'd be captured. Rarity's hooves shook, Applejack sweat uncontrollably, and Twilight's teeth jittered. Moments later, they walked pass a series of columns that followed into a massive court room...with griffon folk everywhere. Mane whispered to the girls as he pointed to a balcony on the second level, "You see that there? That's the throne of the Supreme King. Ponies say that he does not tolerate well with espionage so we better be careful."

Then Applejack looked around and noticed around twenty podiums set up on stage, "What're those for?"

"I told you there was an election in progress." Con reiterated, "There are only nine seats available and twenty griffons want one. Georgi Glide is in the middle of defending his own. He's been a Mountain King since his late-twenties--"

His explanation was interrupted by Twilight who pointed ahead of them, "Look guys, a directory!"

-----

Meanwhile, General Glide was finishing up some paperwork in his office when suddenly there was a knock at his door. He looked up out of surprise and put his pen down. He sipped his coffee then removed his glasses as he rose from his seat. In case it was a journalist, he looked in a mirror and fixed his feathers and straightened his tie, "Hold on one minute!"

The griffon took a deep breath and opened the door. His political nature relaxed as he smiled happily at an unanticipated guest, "Colonel Spektor!"

The two middle-aged griffons chuckled as they hugged one another. Glide stepped out of his office to speak with his friend. The Colonel was more wise and more feeble looking, but around the same age and physique. He acknowledged the King, "Please Georgi, stop with this Colonel nonsense. You're like family to me. Call me Nikolai, please."

The General laughed back, "Ok. ok, you got it. Let's go for a little walk."

-----

"So comrade, do you expect to defend your seat this year?" The Colonel asked as they walked through the tunneling hallways.

Glide nodded with confidence, "Easily, Nikolai...If I were running for regular seat."

Spektor stared at him for a moment, "Are you implying what I your implying?"

"If that means Prime Minister, then yes!" he smirked, laughing through his smiling teeth.

"Well it's about time." Nikolai added, "You've been on this council for years...Is Milova running?"

He gave a lengthy nod, "Ohhhh Yes. That feather brain has been trying to throw me off for years. I respect him as a candidate, but his beliefs for what's right for this kingdom is absolutely preposterous. He's jealous. But I'm not worried in the slightest. The polls are favoring me right now and do not intend to lose to this libertarian."

"I heard you were suggesting to grant the end of silence between our government and Equestria's." The older griffon acknowledged.

Georgi nodded, "I am...Nikolai, this plan will make our economy great again. Nydeabaen has been declining for the last ten years. I'm sick of what the former Prime Minister is putting us through. It doesn't surprise me why I am beating him in the polls as well."

Nikolai laughed and put his arm around his long-time friend's, "There will be celebrations in the street when you win, comrade. You'll be a bigger political leader than the last PM. Maybe even bigger than Joseph Talon."

"I might not be bigger." He replied, "But I sure will be a lot more respectable than he ever was."

Colonel Spektor chuckled along as he pointed ahead, "Well it looks like this is where we part ways, comrade. I'll let you get back to your work."

"Very good. When will you be back in Lochrest?" Glide questioned curiously.

He waited to answer the question until they reached the door, "I'll be in for the next couple weeks, comrade. Military convention!"

"Splendid!" he shouted surprised and happy, "After I finish my work, how about I pick you up from your hotel and we go downtown and have a night on the town huh? Like old times."

"A couple of old time vets like us are gonna shake up the city." Nikolai laughed back hard, "I'd love to. Here's my hotel card."

He took the card from his pocket and handed it to his friend, "Thank you, Nikolai. See you in a couple hours."

The Colonel waved as he walked away, "Good-bye for now, comrade, and good luck!"

General Glide chuckled yet again as he opened his office door. He stepped through and flicked on the lights to turn around and hang his jacket on the hook. Then he remembered...He never turned the lights off. Carefully and slowly, the General shut the door and turned around meeting with Rarity in the adjacent corner, Con Mane standing next to a bookshelf, and Twilight and AJ behind the desk. Georgi began to quiver and he spoke in a very stern voice, "What is the meaning of this intrusion? Who are you?"

"Never mind who we are." Rarity replied hastily, "We've got to have a little chat, General."

[...To be continued.]


'

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment