• Published 2nd May 2012
  • 2,587 Views, 57 Comments

On a wing and a rainbow - Killbles



Will Rainbow Dash's dream of joining the Wonderbolts come true? Will she discover something more?

  • ...
5
 57
 2,587

Night Flight and fight

"Hi" Said Soarin, a goofy grin spreading to his face

Rainbow's mouth fell open in surprise. Soarin landed softly on the cloud and sat next to Rainbow. "What?" he asked at her surprised look.

"How… Why… How did you find me? Why are you here?" he gushed.

Soarin rolled his eyes. The moonlight reflected off his brilliant green eyes beautifully. Rainbow noticed he wasn't wearing his Wonderbolt uniform either. Although taken aback at his sudden appearance, she was curious to see what he looked like without his uniform. His pale blue coat contrasted with his navy mane and a winged lightning bolt was emblazoned on his flank. He was well toned and rather handsome without the flight suit. Rainbow blushed slightly as the thought registered in her head.

"I had the day off today, so I decided I'd heck how you were coming along." Soarin said "When I found out you'd been released, I found one of your friends, Applejack I think, and asked if she had seen you around. Kind of let me on a wild goose chase after you for most of the day." He grinned. "At least I got a fantastic apple pie out of it."

"So how did you find me here?"

"Followed the rainbow trail" he remarked simply.

They sat in silence for a few moments, enjoying the spectacular view from the cloud. The countryside was tinted a faint blue and being a fairly clear night, they could see for kilometres around. A faint cluster of lights in the distance marked Ponyville. To their right in the distance was the city of Canterlot perched on the side of a mountain.

"Sorry for yelling out like that before" Rainbow said quietly

"That's alright, I'm fairly sure you weren't talking to me anyway". Soarin flashed a knowing smile.

Rainbow shivered slightly, it wasn't a cold night, but the wind chill had driven the temperature down. It briefly occurred to her that it would be warmer on the ground, but she didn't feel like leaving the cloud. Noticing her discomfort, Soarin wriggled cup against her and draped a wing over her. Although she appreciated the gesture, her body enjoyed it a little too much. Her wings suddenly sprung out with an audible 'pomf'.

"Aw hell" she moaned, a massive blush spreading over her face. Soarin started snickering next to her. She rounded on him. "What's so funny? This is embarrassing!"

"Umm… nothing… Just… your face... when your wings…." he said, trying to control his mirth. He failed and a massive burst of laughter erupted from him. He started rolling around the cloud in hysterics. It was incredibly contagious for moments later, Rainbow's anger had vanished and she was laughing with him. When they had managed to regain their composures they found themselves staring into each other's eyes. They remained that way for several minutes, neither wanting to break eye contact. Slowly, ever so slowly, she drew a little closer to Soarin. He moved a little closer. She moved a little closer. Their nuzzles were mere centimetres apart. She could feel his warm breath wash over her face. He smelt of fresh rain and ionised air, a strange but wonderful combination that appealed to Dash.

Is they drew slightly closer a thought suddenly ran through her head "Omigosh Omigosh Omigosh Omigosh Omigosh Omigosh Omigosh Soarin is about to kiss me!"

She closed her eyes and leaned forward slightly. 'Any moment now…'

A loud crash startled both of them and sent both of them scrambling to their feet. The tender moment ruined, Soarin shook his head as if he was breaking out of a dream. They looked around. The once clear night sky was now full of dark thunderheads. A bolt of lightning nearby caused another loud crack of thunder, making them both jump slightly. Rainbow sighed in disappointment. 'So close..!' she thought to herself sadly.

"Come on we should get going" Soarin said, breaking her out of her reverie. "I'll fly you home"

The flight was magical for Rainbow. While they were making best speed to get away from the encroaching storm, neither party wanted the flight to end. They seemed to almost dance across the sky, flowing in and out of various manoeuvres and pull off easy stunts on account of Rainbow's injury. It was a disappointment when they arrived at Rainbow's cloud home. They landed softly on the cloud base, kicking up small tufts of the fluffy cloud. As Rainbow walked towards the door with Soarin she said "Thanks for tonight, it was amazing, to say the least. Pity about that storm…" A small smile graced her lips. Soarin returned the smile before leaning over and nuzzling Rainbow softly. "The pleasure was all mine Rainbow."

They stood there together for a moment before Soarin broke contact.

"I should go." He said quietly. As he turned to leave, Rainbow put a hoof on his shoulder.

"Please don't. Stay. Please." She said in barely a whisper.

"I…I can't. It's complicated. I'm sorry. Goodnight Rainbow." He suddenly looked sad. Incredibly sad.

With that, He took off with a gentle wing beat which seemed to tug at Dash's heartstrings.

"Why…" She said. But Soarin couldn't hear her. He was too far away; he was a pale blue speck rapidly receding into the dark night. A distant flash of lightning light up the sky brilliantly and then he was gone. A single tear ran down Dash's cheek. "Why…" She said again, even softer. She slumped to the cloud and just stared off into the night. A drop of rain fell on her face and ran down her cheek and mixed with the tear. She didn't notice. The downpour began in earnest and soaked her through. She stayed there for nearly half an hour before she went inside. She lay down on her bed and listened to the storm rolling over her. She tried to sleep but her mind kept returning to the mournful face Soarin had before he left. It was a face wracked with guilt and pain. It did little to comfort her as she slipped into her dreams.

As Soarin flew through the sky back towards Canterlot his mind was racing. He could feel that he was developing some feelings for Rainbow. Feelings he wasn't supposed to have. He swore to himself quietly. 'Let's just see how this pans out, eh?' he thought. The rest of the flight passed quickly. He was too deep in his own thoughts to notice the passage of time.

When he arrived at his own cloud dwelling above Canterlot he was surprised to find a yellow Pegasus inside. "Um… Spitfire, what are you doing here?"

She looked up from a book she was reading and glared at him. "What? Can't I visit a friend?" She quickly changed the topic. "Besides, where have you been?"

Soarin suddenly wished he was somewhere else. "That's not your business." He said nervously.

"Oh really now?" She said, throwing the book away in a manner that would have caused any librarian to go on a murderous rampage. She advanced on Soarin. "Isn't it?" she said menacingly.

"No it's not." Said Soarin bluntly.

She drew closer, Soarin backed away nervously. She pounced on Soarin, pinning him underneath her. "You wouldn't happen to have been with that arrogant little foal Rainbow Dash would you?" she asked devilishly.

Soarin stuck a hoof in his mouth so he wouldn't talk.

"Ohhhh, you were!" she guessed. "I don't know what you see in her. She's an egotistic try hard. Why did you think I never let her into the Wonderbolts before? She's a good enough flier…" She laughed "Only when her friends are falling to their deaths."

Soarin growled and tried to get out from underneath her.

"Ohh, getting a bit feisty are we? Why don't you use some of that spunk on me?" She said suggestively, lowering herself onto him.

"No!" yelled Soarin. "I've told you before, I'm not interested!" he shoved her off him roughly. He was starting to shake now which was never a good sign. Spitfire adopted a hurt look. "Really Soarin? You sure about that?" She threw herself at him again but he jumped out of the way and she was sent sprawling to the floor. Soarin picked her up roughly and deposited her outside. "I don't want to hurt you Spitfire. Leave before I do something I'll regret."

"You'll regret this Soarin." She said venomously. "Just you wait. Little Dashie isn't the perfect mare for you. You'll see. Then you'll come crawling back to me. Like you always do." She jabbed Soarin in the chest for emphasis before flying off in a flash of yellow.

Soarin shook his head silently and trotted back inside. He lay down on the floor with a sigh. "This will be fun." He muttered sarcastically. He was too tired to bother moving to his bed. Like his Rainbow maned friend back in Ponyville, sleep didn't come easily for the troubled flyer.