• Published 2nd May 2012
  • 2,587 Views, 57 Comments

On a wing and a rainbow - Killbles



Will Rainbow Dash's dream of joining the Wonderbolts come true? Will she discover something more?

  • ...
5
 57
 2,587

Revelations

Chapter 10: Revelations

"There's no doubt Ms. Dash, you're pregnant." The doctor said

"Wha-" Rainbow stuttered

"It's also a certainty that Soarin hates you and will leave you when he finds out." The doctor said as he morphed into a laughing shadow. Soarin stepped out from behind him with Spitfire wrapped around him locked in a passionate kiss. They broke apart to laugh at her. The trio melted and reformed into a nightmarish figure of Not-Silver cackling madly.

"It's just me and you Dashie. Just me and you." He cart wheeled away insanely, the doctor's clinic transformed into a hellish landscape. Unable to take any more, Dash screamed out in terror.

Rainbow awoke, eyes wide with fear. She whimpered quietly and shuddered involuntarily. "Just a dream, just a dream." She reassured herself quietly. Nearly two months had passed since her traumatic affair with Not-Silver. Due to her injuries she had been unable to fly for nearly a month and had missed performing in a show. Her inability to fly had compounded her somewhat frayed state of mind and made her more irritable than normal. Despite having healed physically, she still occasionally had nightmares of the events that had happened at the Gala. She pulled herself out of the puffy cloud bed, careful not to disturb the sleeping form of Soarin next to her. Despite her experience, Soarin and Dash's relationship had blossomed and now that the Wonderbolts show season had ended, the two had found more time to spend together. She snuck outside onto one of the many balconies on her house and lay down. She let the chilly night wind ruffle her mane and clear her head. Rubbing her temples gently, she took a deep breath and sighed. She tried to remove the image of her torturer from her mind and stared at the moon.

"He's still up there you know. He won't hurt you again" Soarin said, his voice tired yet with a hint of concern.

"I know. Doesn't make it any easier though." She said, turning to see him standing in the doorway.

"You had another bad dream?" he asked. He padded over next to Rainbow and lay his head on top of hers.

"Yeah." She said quietly

"What about?" he asked gently.

"You don't want to know."

Not wishing to push her further, he lapsed into silence.

Comforted by his presence, Rainbow Dash fell asleep, her gentle breathing lifting Soarin's head up and down. Gently slinging her over his back, Soarin carried her back inside.


Blazing sunlight awoke Rainbow Dash. Blinking rapidly to clear her vision, she peered around her brightly lit room. The bed next to her was empty; Soarin had obviously already woken up. Yawning loudly, she headed downstairs into the living area. A small plate of breakfast sat on the table. A small messily written note was written next to it.

Heading back to my place in Canterlot today,

Made you breakfast

Might be back tonight.

Love

Soarin

She read the note quickly, her eyes kept returning to the word love. She rolled the foreign word around in her head a bit.

"Love" she said to the empty room. "Love." She repeated, as if seeing how to word sounded. The room offered no answers to her so she sat down, munching thoughtfully. Contemplating for a moment she asked. "What is love?"

Again the room offered no response. Shrugging, she wolfed down the last of the meal and cleared the meal away. Despite the fact that she was normally a fairly messy pony, Soarin's surprisingly good cleanliness had started rubbing off on her. Deciding to not mope around her house all day, the cyan Pegasus flapped her wings a few times and headed towards Ponyville.


"Heya Rainbow! What brings you this way?" Pinkie Pie asked cheerfully as Rainbow Dash entered Sugarcube Corner.

"Just looking for something to do. No clouds to clear, No new stunts to practice. Nothing. Please tell me you have something for me to do."

Pinkie leapt gleefully into the air. "Of course I do Dashie! I just love doing things with my friends!"

Pinkie bounced through into the Kitchen and started throwing ingredients in a carefree manner. Incredibly, despite her carelessness, not a single item was dropped or spilt. Rainbow yelped out in surprise as she ducked a large bag of flour flying across the room. "Mind watching where you are throwing stuff Pinkie?"

"I'm always watching Dashie!"

"What if I hadn't ducked?" Rainbow asked annoyed

"Then you'd have gotten a bag of flour to the face silly!" Pinkie giggled.

Huffing in annoyance, Rainbow pulled over a large mixing bowl and started clumsily combining ingredients in accordance to a recipe in front of her. The room was quiet except for Pinkie quietly humming a mad tune to herself.

"Pinkie" Rainbow finally asked.

"Oh questions! I love questions. Do I have to guess the question? I love guessing. Except for when I have to gue-."

"Pinkie you're doing it again." Dash interrupted

"Doing what? Rambling"

"You think?" Rainbow asked sarcastically.

"I don't know!" the pink pony replied gleefully. "Anyway what did you want to know?" Her eyes gleamed with excitement.

"What is love?"

Pinkie visibly stiffened. A blank stare came across her.

"Uhh, Pinkie?" Rainbow asked, confused by her friends lack of response.

"Baby don't hurt me." Pinkie burst out.

"Don't hurt me?" Rainbow replied, confused.

"NO MORE!" Pinkie yelled. Inexplicably, speakers descended from the ceiling and a deep bass started pumping.

Rainbow covered her face with her hoof as Pinkie launched into her musical number. Groaning in resignation, she backed out of the kitchen and out onto the road.

"Ok she's crazy." Rainbow said to nopony in particular.


Dash leafed through a book aimlessly, she had moved to the library after leaving Pinkie to her musical number. The faint sounds of loud music indicated the pink party pony had probably made a party out of the occasion. She looked up as a loud crash rang out. A frustrated groan came from the resident librarian as she investigated the cause of the disturbance. Rainbow watched on with lazy interest as the so called 'Cutie-mark Crusaders' were chased out of the library by a displeased Twilight. Slamming the door behind her Twilight turned to the slightly amused Rainbow-maned mare.

"Those girls really need to learn what peace and quiet means." She said, her eye twitching slightly.

Rainbow resisted the urge to laugh; she didn't think Twilight would appreciate it much. Regaining her composure, Twilight meandered over to her friend, pulled a cushion out and sat down.

"So what's new?" she asked casually.

"Well I learnt never to ask Pinkie 'What is love'" Rainbow remarked dryly. She turned another page.

"Now why would you be asking her that?" Twilight asked coyly.

Mentally slapping herself Rainbow tried to dodge the question.

"Umm… No reason."

"You're a terrible liar Rainbow Dash" Twilight remarked smugly.

Dash glowered for a moment before realising she wouldn't get out of it now. She was backed up against a metaphorical wall. She explained to Twilight the note Soarin had left for her this morning.

"I'm just not sure what this means. Does he love me? Do I love him? Where will this go from here?" Rainbow groaned, covering her head with her hooves

Twilight scratched her chin thoughtfully for a moment. "Well I think you'll have to find that out for yourself. As you can probably guess I'm not the pony to talk to about this stuff. But where this will go… I would guess a few more plot twists and then mayb-" she cut herself off.

"What, go on." Rainbow said, hoping her fried would provide some insight.

"I can't." Twilight said, her eyes took on a look as if she was staring at some unseen observer.

"Why?"

"You know… I'd be breaking…" she gestured in the air. "The wall."

Rainbow cocked an eye in confusion. "You've been spending too much time around Pinkie haven't you?"

"Ee-yup" Twilight responded, burying her face in the cushion.

"What should I do Twi?" Rainbow asked

"I don't know" The librarian responded, her voice muffled by the colourful cushion. "Go ask Rarity, she's better at this stuff than me."

"Yeah! I'll do that." Dash said. In her excitement, she tossed the book away and bolted out an open window.

A flash of flame erupted from the window and a loud yell followed her.

"BOOKS ARE NOT FOR THROWING!"


"Well darling, I think you have one option." Ponyville's resident fashionista said. She attacked one of her mannequins viciously with a needle and several bolts of cloth.

"And what would that be?" she asked impatiently. Rarity had deliberately stalled and tried to worm as much information of out Rainbow about Soarin. Much to Rarity's annoyance, Dash had managed to keep most of the details to herself.

"Well Rainbow, the only thing you can do is to find your stallion and ask him."

Rainbow pulled a face of disapproval. "You mean to tell me that's all you can say? I waited all that time for that?"

A small smile touched rarity's mouth. "But of course. What else did you expect?"

"I don't even- What- ergh." Dash grumbled. She turned around and left the boutique, her feelings still not resolved.


Rainbow flew towards Canterlot as fast as she could manage. Her head was full of her friend's voices.

'Baby don't hurt me'

'You'll have to find that out for yourself'

'Find your stallion and ask him'

'Baby don't hurt me'

'You'll have to find that out for yourself'

'Find your stallion and ask hi'

"Get. Out. Of. My. Head! I need to think!" she fumed to herself. A little part of her mind reminded her how ridiculous it was for her to get so worked up over one word but she quashed the thought. She asked herself the question over and over. 'How do I feel about Soarin?' Despite her best attempt, she couldn't figure it out. She liked him for sure, but whether she could truly say that she… loved the Wonderbolt was a different story. She mulled it over. Without him, she would be dead. 'Come to think of it, we have now both saved each other.' Pushing the thought aside, she focused on deciphering her feelings. She liked his smile, his personality, she felt… different when he was around. A previously unheard voice suddenly asked 'Could you live without him?'

'Of course I could' she thought back 'But… I would hate to live without him now.'

She angled towards the much closer city. She guessed she would be able to find Soarin at his own dwelling at this time of day.

A sudden moment of clarity struck her. 'I would hate to live without him, but I'd love to live with him.' She thought. 'I love to have him around… He… Completes me?' she thought, her mind straying into sappy territory. A single tear ran down her cheek. "I… love… Soarin…" she said disbelievingly.

She flew towards Soarin's house, the words spilling from her like a mantra. She felt alive more alive than she had ever felt before. A wave of excitement permeated from her. Landing roughly on the front steps, she burst through the front door.

"Soarin, I lo-."

The words fell out of her mouth as she took in the sight before her.

In front of her, Soarin was pinned underneath Spitfire, the pair locked in a deep kiss.