• Published 9th Jun 2014
  • 3,466 Views, 42 Comments

Long Live The King - Morpheus Sandman



To restore their family heritage. Pitch and Sabre have one mission in mind. To rehabilitate their forefather. The master of darks arts, Sombra.

  • ...
10
 42
 3,466

Into The Dark Of The Night

It was apparent that if Triumphant Roar and his small group were going to rescue a empire full of little ponies they would need every available space available on the train to house those said ponies. Thus, everything that wasn’t essentially to the running of the train was thrown out, seats and all. Only one set of seats had been kept in the train, for some reason or another.

Four ponies spectated apprehensively from their seats, one dragon holding on to the back of one, as another two ponies in the train cart verbally jousted. The seated four were rather thankful, they at least being the only ones who were able to have somewhere comfortable to ride while travelling, as the rest of the train was bare bones empty. That didn’t, however, stop them from expressing their disdain at their mutual friend who hovered overhead who hadn’t acquired a seat.

“Magic, shmagic, I say.” Rainbow Dash declared, hooves crossed, showing as much disinterest in Roar’s explanation of the plan to rescue the crystal ponies and avoid Sombra’s dark magic.

“This is for everyone’s benefit Lady Dash. Entering the Crystal Empire will be dangerous and filled with magic that can affect you.” Roar said calmly.

Rainbow rolled her hoof in front of herself. “Yeah, yeah. I’ll deal with that when or if it happens.”

Rarity tsked. “If what the captain has to say is true about dark magic we should be very careful Rainbow Dash.”

“Yeah yeah. I just don’t get the whole magic thing. Impassive mood-altering persuasion,” she air-quoted. “The hay is that suppose to mean?” Rainbow said.

Roar tired, having just explained the procedures for rescue operation for the second time since the train left from Canterlot. “You looked confused or maybe that’s just your normal face.” Roar said.

Rainbow turned to glare at Roar. Fluttershy wilted in her seat next to Pinkie Pie. Pinkie crept in-between the two ponies.

“Think of it like this Dashie. Magic is magic! Think of a rainbow until you get a rainbow.” Pinkie said.

Rainbow started at her dumbfounded. “Hmm, I suppose that makes more sense.”

Roar rolled his eyes and made his leave of the cart.

“No Shining Armour.” Rainbow retorted, flicking her mane.

“Simmer down Rainbow. This isn't thar sorta situation you go just runnin’ into.” Applejack said.

Rarity agreed.

“Oh! Snow. Do you think we’re nearly there?” Fluttershy said. Drawing everyone’s attention she whimpered and concealed herself behind her long curtain like pink mane.

The train carts door opened and a mare in guard uniform slipped in and approached the group.

“We’ll be arriving to the Crystal Empire shortly. Captain Roar has asked that you all remain inside the train until the station is cleared.”

“Thank you dear.” Rarity said. The guard nodded and left the cart.

Fluttershy peered through the window. Half of the moon was clear in the sky. Composing itself like a beacon beaming over the Crystal Empire.

The cart swayed as the train wheels started to screech to a halt.


The Element Bearers were given the ok to exit the train. One by one they got and stretched their aching limbs. They checked their saddlebags out and adjusted their scarfs.

Rainbow noticed two ponies were seated on the chilly wooden platform against the small station building, two helmets lying nearby. One of Roar’s guards were keeping an eye on them.

Applejack flinched. “Hey, they going to be alright? They lookin’ out of it of sorts.” She said to one of the nearby guards standing by.

Rarity looked at them with concern.

Rainbow landed in front of them and waved her hoof back and forth. “Looks like the lights are on but nopony's home.”

“Rainbow stop that.” Fluttershy said, gently pushing Rainbow’s hoof down.

“We’re moving out!” Roar bellowed from across the platform.

Spike tapped Fluttershy on the shoulder from where he was sitting on her. “We should follow too.”

Applejack adjusted her stetson and nodded. “Let's go.”

The group followed behind Roar who lead the way. Throughout the dark snowy landscape guards were positioned as waypoints and pointed the way to the next pony. Though not heavily snowing the night made it challenging to see further ahead. The empire was clearly ahead of them.

They trotted briskly from one guard to the next across the tundra from the train station to where they could see two arching crystal pillars which made one of four weather wards around the empire.

“What are waiting for now?” Rainbow whined.

“Checking the ward, like the captain fella explained on the trip over?” Applejack threw Rainbow a pointed look.

A unicorn came over to Roar and shook his head.

Roar turned to the group. “The entrance is being guarded, so we’re heading around it for now. Follow me.” Roar said as he made to turn and walk again. The unicorn had ran off again to inform the others.

Coming up to the shield that encompassed the empire the small group came up to another unicorn who was in deep concentration.

“How’s it look?” Roar asked.

Turning their attention to the captain she shrugged her shoulders.

Roar scrutinised the paper thin grey palette in front of him that composed the shield around the empire.

A rustling of shifting snow and leafy greens caught everyone’s attention. They turned to spot a blue pony creep out from behind a bush and began to run.

“Hey you there be careful!” Roar called out.

“Huh?” The blue unicorn said.

Everyone cringed awkwardly.

“Ooh, that doesn’t hurt does it, sugarcube?” Applejack asked, turning away with one eye firmly closed in case of disaster.

Trixie looked back at her flank. Noticing the slight discolouration from her front half and rear half she freaked out and jumped and fell into the snow.

Rainbow Dash glared from the shield to Trixie and then finally to Pinkie Pie who waved at her from the other side of the dome.

“Hey, it’s totally safe to go through.” Pinkie cheered.

Rainbow looked the odd mismatch of shifting grey goop in front of her and nonchalantly glided through it.

“Didn’t feel a thing.” She chuckled.

Applejack chuckled at the duo’s antics before turning her attention to Trixie. “Trixie, are you alright, sugarcube?”

She harrumphed. “Trixie’s fine. If you’ll excuse her now Trixie will be off.” She said, brushing herself off.

“Hold it.” Roar said stepping in front of Trixie who shrunk back under his larger figure, his piercing eyes on her. “You don’t look like you’re under the effect of the heart.”

Trixie guffawed. “No. The Great and Powerful Trixie was too good for it.” She said with flare.

Everyone sort of stared at her from that.

Trixie coughed and saw the expectant look that they were giving her. “Trixie is not going back there, she just got out!” She said.

“We could use an extra hoof to help ponies out to the train station.” Fluttershy said to her.

“There’s a train?” Trixie said.

Applejack’s ears flipped back. “Come on Trixie!” Applejack said. “We wouldn’t be asking if we couldn’t use an extra set of hooves.”

Trixie considered it for a moment as everyone waited with a few disgruntled expressions. “Fine, Trixie shall help,” she said, avoiding looking at anyone and she walked passed everyone.

“Captain Roar and his group will be taking care of helping the ponies with the ghastly headwear while we go door to door and get ponies to leave their homes for the train.” Rarity explained, skipping through the shield tentatively.

Trixie gulped passing through the magical field and joining alongside the group now being lead towards the centre of the empire by Pinkie and Rainbow.

Into the empire, crystal buildings nestled in clean lines left, right and centre.

“Ooh, so quiet. Do you think somepony is about to yell surprise like it’s a surprise party just for us?” Pinkie said.

Rainbow laughed.

Roar turned to them. “You all know what you’re doing. My group will handle the guards and ensure safe passage across the tundra.”

The mares and dragon nodded to the captain before his group quickly left them.

“Lets split up here. Trixie and Fluttershy with Spike, Rainbow and Pinkie, and Applejack and myself. Everyone has their signal for trouble?” Rarity asked,

Rarity's horn ignited, showing her cutie mark in the night sky. Fluttershy and Rainbow produced a flashlight from their saddlebags and it similarly showed their cutie mark in the sky.

“Aww. I didn’t bring my flashy-doohickey with me.” Pinkie said. Her mane deflated.

Rainbow laughed. “Don’t worry about it, here.” She passed her flashlight to her.

Pinkie caught the flashlight in the curl of her puffy mane. She oohed and cheered.

“First one to get a hundred ponies to the station wins.” Rainbow said.

“Ooh, what’s the prize?” Pinkie asked.

“Being awesome!” Rainbow said pumping her hoof.

Pinkie bounced energetically. “Hoo-yeah! Awesome!”

Applejack chuckled. “They’re like a couple fillies in a candy store.”

Rarity tittered behind her hoof. “Yes, and one works at that store.”

“Follow us Trixie. I know the safest place that we’re sure to be able to convince ponies without too much difficulty to come with us to the train station.” Fluttershy smiled warmly.

“Very well, lead the way.” Trixie said rolling her eyes.

With that said she followed alongside Fluttershy and Spike. They hiked out ready to help the citizens of the Crystal Empire.


In the Crystal Castle Sombra dewed while he paced the room back and forth. A roaring fire crackled behind him in the hearth of dark dining room.

“Where is she?” Sombra said, snapping at Sabre.

He flinched and said. “Umm...well...you see, that is well, a point of perspective, your Majesty.” Sabre then laughed nervously as he rubbed the back of his head.

“Get to the point!” Sombra demanded.

Sabre braced himself for what he felt was going to came, his eyes feeling as though they had shrunk to blind him for the actions that were about to take place. “She’s not coming.”

“WHAT!” Sombra bellowed. The room shaked from the volume of his outrage a few paintings tipped askew while vases bobbed jarringly along the fireplace mantelpiece.

Sombra tore from his position and flung himself out of the dining room and in the direction of Twilight’s bedroom. Sabre hurriedly followed out after him, trying his best to keep up.

Sombra came to Twilight’s door and raised a hoof to bang on it forcefully.

“I thought I asked you to come to dinner!” He yelled after a few powerful hits to the door.

“I am not hungry,” Twilight rebuked clearly from behind the door.

“It was not a suggestion!” he barked.

“I don’t care!” Twilight retorted.

Sabre finally managed to catch up to see Sombra glaring at the door to Twilight’s room. He slowed his pace wearly expanded and deflated his chest before approaching Sombra.

“Your Majesty?” Sabre said, trying hard not the choke on his hard breathing.

“You see what she’s like?” Sombra spun around to Sabre, trying hard to get his anger under control by keeping his teeth clamped together.

Sabre took a fast breath in and out finally collecting himself. “Try being nicer your Majesty, ask her politely.”

Sombra’s face tightened up as he turned back to face the adversity barrier in front of him, “I would very much appreciate it, if you would join me for dinner.”

“No thank you.” Twilight immediately replied.

Sombra pointed an accusing hoof at the door, raising both eyebrows at Sabre in mock surprise.

“Gently your majesty.” Sabre suggested moving both his fore hooves slowly in gestural in front of himself, almost as if trying to change the drift of a raging wind in the opposite direction.

Sombra clamped his teeth together again, trying his best to think gentle and polite. “It would give me great pleasure,” He alarmingly forced a large grin on his face that unsettled Sabre. “...To see you this evening for dinner Princess.” Sombra finished.

“I am not coming.”

Sombra was on fire at another denial of his request. His blood boiled like lava veins between harden rocks.

“Fine! Then starve!” He yelled as loud as he could at the door making it shake and creak. If a door could feel fear this old door would tremble.

He turned back to address Sabre, “If she doesn’t eat with me then she doesn’t eat at all.” Sombra punctuated by cutting the air in front of him with his hoof. He trotted briskly down the hallway.

Sabre let out a long, laboured breath.

“Oh dear...”

Behind the door Twilight let out of sigh of relief. Pitch gulped, perspiring.

“We’re almost done here.” She said, monitoring Pitch’s progress with enchanting the crystal floating in his magic.

“Connect both latency points and we’ll be close to finished.” Twilight said.

“Ok.” Pitch said focusing on the magical paradigm and connecting the two tiny sprites with a line of magic. They disappeared together on the surface of the crystal.

Twilight caught the crystal as Pitch heaved exhausted.

“Excellent.” Twilight said as she placed the crystal in Pitch’s saddlebag and secured the belt in the buckle.

“Now we’re set.”

Outside the room Pitch saw his cousin in an exemplary state that he was similarly experience.

“Come on, we’re going to find Sombra now and put end end to this.” Twilight said as she trotted by Sabre.

Pitch motioned his head to which Sabre breathed a deep sigh and picked himself up from the floor and followed behind Twilight.

They made their way through the long hallways of the castle. On their way to the dining room a flash a pink shot across a intersecting hallway. Twilight ran to the intersection and found herself looking into the throne room.

“Cadance?” Twilight gasped. She ran up to her, her hooves barely touching the floor.

“Oh, careful Twilight.” Cadance said sticking her hoof out. The ground before Twilight had given way to to reveal a dark descending staircase.

Twilight grimaced as she changed her course around the stairwell towards Cadance.

“What are you doing here? I mean, yeah, you’re here because it’s your empire but what are you doing here?” Twilight asked after hugging Cadance.

“Twilight, it’s good to see you, though the circumstance could probably be better.” Cadance said.

Pitch and Sabre walked into the throne and up to the two alicorns.

“Ah, Doctor Pitch and his assistant Sabre?” Cadance said as they approached. She was a little surprised to see two vaguely familiar faces that appeared to be not under the ill effect of the Crystal Heart.

“I haven’t just being sitting on my flank all this time. I’ve been keeping a close eye on the Crystal Heart.” Cadance said to Twilight.

“Come with me, we have to be quick. I’ve found a way to stop Sombra.” Cadance said as she rushed to the beginning of the stairs and started to trot down.

“Wait Cadance, we can’t come with you now. We’ve got something important we need to do first.” Twilight said and she mumbled, “because, uhh, we’re going to stop Sombra too.” It sounded more like a question than a statement.

Cadance paused and was silent for a moment. “Yes. Then we can help rehabilitate him once we’ve stopped him from ruining Equestria. Sounds easier enough.”

The mood in the room was optimistic.

“I helped Pitch here to enchant a crystal to block Sombra’s use of magic. I was originally thinking we could drain his magic reserves with it...but who knows how much he would realistically have. So stopping his magic seemed the more simpler and obvious choice.” Twilight said pointing at the saddlebag strapped to Pitch’s side.

Cadance thought on this and sighed. “Great minds think alike,” she said. “I’m going to supercharge the Crystal Heart with my magic. This should break the hold that Sombra’s dark magic has on them.”

“Is that...will that work?” Twilight said.

Cadance smiled, trotting back over to Twilight.

“"No one loves the crystal ponies, like the Princess of Love." Cadance said gentle smiling a winning grin. She tapped her horn on the black crystal that surrounded Twilight’s horn. The shiny rock crumbled away harmlessly. Cadance rubbed her cheek against Twilight’s as she returned back to the stairs.

“We’ll have to catch up for tea sometime when this is over.” Cadance said, going down to stairwell.

Twilight nodded and turned back to Pitch and Sabre when Cadance left her sight.

“Come on, we got a empire to save.” Twilight said, leading them out.


Sombra’s cape strained against his neck as he made his way back to the dining room.

He trotted to the dining table and pulled back the chair at the head of it. He dropped into the the pink cushions and his mass eased down into the chair.

“Maid! Chef!” He yelled. After a moment of silence he grumbled and got up and pushed opened the door to the kitchen.

Not a pony or sound stirred and all the tools and kitchenware were away or turned off, all clean and unused. Sombra closed his eyes and sent his thoughts upwards to the watch tower.

As he touched the Crystal Heart his eyes shot open and to the ceiling.

“Somethings changed.” He rushed out the room to find the nearest window.

He looked outside. The moonlight bounced off the crystals around the empire and illuminated it.The telltale sign of his spell in the night sky was still there. His breathing pitched. He looked around the structures.

“What is this?” He saw a pastel blue pegasus carrying another, more greyer, crystal pony in its arms, zipping down a main lane.

Sombra’s jaw hung tensely. More movement caught his eyes and he saw a small group of guards which were certainly not his own. As he hadn’t given any orders for patrols himself.

“Celestia’s royal guards are here?” Sombra said softly. Realisation dawning on him.

“Why didn’t the heart tell me?” Sombra teeth clenched accursedly. His form burst into smoke and rushed through the halls of the castle at break neck speeds, making his way through the throne room, down the stairs, through the door, and back up another spiralling staircase.

The smoke struck hard onto the marble floor. Sombra leaped out from the puddle on the ground. The puddle peeled from the floor finishing up with his tail.

“What are you doing?” Sombra yelled. He lowered himself close to the ground ready to pounce.

Cadance didn’t move from her position in front of the Crystal Heart. From the tip of her horn a small trail of pink smoke left.

“Helping.” She said firmly as the trail of light disappeared.

“You’re meddling in things you don’t understand. You’re going to ruin everything!” Sombra boomed, his ears twitched.

Cadance turned to face Sombra and lowered herself defensively. “You’re the one who doesn’t understand Sombra. I thought you may have reconsider what you’re doing when I gave you that emotional boost.”

Sombra’s lip quivered and he simmered quietly.

Cadance eased her body. “Can you feel it Sombra? The love in ponies hearts?”

Sombra growled, his chin almost touching the floor. “I cannot,” he said softly.

Cadance hummed contemplatively.

A crack reverberating around the room causing the two ponies ears to flick. A jagged cut formed on the outside of the Crystal Heart.

“What? No! What happened…?” Cadance stared at the heart in disbelief.

Sombra continued to simmer till he reached boiling point. “Just like the sisters.”

Cadance reacted in surprise, casting a barrier as Sombra struck out at her.


“Hey. Do you see that?” Pinkie Pie asked.

Rainbow Dash saluted to one of the guards and they took the small group of ponies from Pinkie and her. Rainbow looked up to the sky were the snow freely fell towards them.

“Isn’t the snow meant to be on the outside of the empire?” She asked.

“I know, right, and that other dark thingie is not there as well.” Pinkie pointed to the sky.

Rainbow lifted off with a beat of her wings with a concerned expression on her face. “Come on Pinks. We need to get the crystal ponies out yesterday. Before this snow does any trouble.”

“Roger dodger!” Pinkie chirped and they both ran back into the empire.

Rainbow raced on ahead and paused momentarily when she came across Rarity and Applejack.

“Come now, this way darlings.” Rarity sung, proudly leading a line of droopy crystal ponies. Applejack at the tail end was also encouraging them along in their despondent states.

“Wouldn’t you rather be somewhere nice and warm like, like Canterlot?” Applejack grinned. She wasn’t confident in her own conviction. She noticed Rainbow Dash flying towards them.

“Hey Applejack. Might want to hustle those crystal ponies. Something’s up and the snow is coming. I don’t think anypony wants to be here if it starts to get heavy,” Rainbow said as she stopped.

“Yeah, noticed.” Applejack looked on ahead seeing the snow drift lazily towards her. She tugged at her scarf.

Rainbow nodded. “I’m going to see if I can find Twilight.”

Before Applejack could suggest otherwise Rainbow had bolted off towards the castle.

Rainbow Dash darted straight towards the castle and elevated her body upwards towards the castle highest peak so she get the best view of the area. Surprised, Rainbow saw Cadance within the tower next to the Crystal Heart. Rainbow smiled triumphantly as she made a beeline towards her.

Cadance leant her horn on the Crystal Heart as it slowly glittered. She pulled away as the last remnant of her magic dropped from her horn and on the Crystal Heart. It stopped spinning for a moment then restarting again.

As Rainbow closed in on the tower she gasped and put on more speed as another pony entered the tower. The red-horned pony could be none other than Sombra.

“The crystal ponies are mine!” Sombra roared.

Rainbow Dash adjusted her sprint and aimed herself at Sombra. Just as she was about to impact him he dissipated into fog and went straight through him.

Sombra headbutted Cadance away from the heart and held it in between both hooves appraising it anxiously.

“No,” He said, voice trembling.

Turning Cadance was being helped to her feet by Rainbow.

“Come on Princess, let’s get out of here.” Rainbow said scooping one leg around her front two and taking off. She spread her wings and ran towards the sky.

“Wait, Rainbow!” Cadance urged as Rainbow dived out of the tower.

Sombra glowered. “This isn't happening.” He forgot about the retreating ponies as he examined the Crystal Heart further.

In the heart there was a single glowing mote of radiant light. A worm like thing orbited it.

Sombra’s mane swept behind him as he ran over to the tower’s edge. Cadance and Rainbow were gliding close to the ground. They made their way towards the station while it snowed quietly. Sombra growled at the snow.

Sombra growl deepened as his focused his spirit to disperse and become like air. His shadowy form plummeted from the tower and landed in the yard below where he took up his physical form again.

He grunted and was about to run until he heard the cracking of a wooden door open nearby.

“What are you two doing?” Sombra demanded, angry in his voice.

“Oh, your majesty?” Pitch squeaked almost having stepped outside, shooing Twilight whom was standing behind him and Sabre.

“You may want consider staying indoors for the moment.” Sombra said, tone turning more calmer. “‘Less you want to get caught up in what happens next.” He said before running off.

Pitch and Sabre watched as Sombra made tracks out the gate. Twilight stepped outside into the yard with them.

“We found him.” Sabre said.

“Let’s follow.” Twilight said.


Rainbow slapped the tips of her wings together to stop her momentum. She let go off Cadance so she could be on the ground. They watched curiously as a pony in the distance trotted towards them. Rainbow squinted her eyes and lifted a hoof to block out some of the snow.

“Who’s that?” She said.

Through the snow the pony’s hazy outline began to sharpen. Trotting through the snow, cape drifting slowly, Sombra made his way towards Rainbow. He then sprinted towards them.

Rainbow’s eyes narrowed and she pumped her wings to dash towards him. Her wings kicked back and lifted what snow was on the ground and blowing it up and into Sombra’s face.

Sombra, shaking the snow loose from his mane, paid her no mind as he muscled by her; his shoulder pushing her easily out of his way. He had his sights set on Cadance.

Just as Sombra believed he was going to capture Cadance another pony had jumped into his way - stopped in front of Cadance.

Sombra growled animalistically and launched himself fiercely towards the stallion. At the top of his arch Roar turned his back to Sombra, cocking both legs preparing to trigger them at the right moment to propel Sombra back.

With a clicking of bones Roar’s legs connected to Sombra’s barrel and he flew back over towards Rainbow.

“Hey red, dark and gruesome. Where’s Twilight? Give up my friend now!” Rainbow said to Sombra’s face. Emphasizing her point by beating one hoof into the other.

Satisfied with the distance, Roar, and much to Cadance’s discomfort, lifted her onto his back and hastened after the hoofprints in the snow towards the station.

Rainbow was glad to see the princess getting away and glared from her position just above Sombra. “That’s one Princess down. Now where’s the other?” She said to him.

Sombra’s eyes glowed dimly, ignoring the ache in his chest. He pulled away from the ground to his feet. He growled fiercely, teeth showing, a head space away from Rainbow’s.

Rainbow’s attention was caught in his eyes. She started to feel woozy and forced herself to close her eyes.

She shook her head, averting her face. “Oh no, no mind games with me buddy! I’m onto you.”

Rainbow lurched forwards, striking Sombra square on the shoulder. She backed off shaking her hoof with the other whilst blowing on it. “Ow, ow, ow. You’re way tense, you need to relax.”

Letting the mild ache in her hoof go Rainbow flew away from him. Sombra watched her go. There was a moment of silence between the two as they considered one another.

“If you don’t want talk, fine. We’ll do this the hard way.” Rainbow u-turned in the sky and speed towards Sombra.

Sombra narrowly missed being impact with the plucky pegasus by evaporating into smoke. He could feel the inside of his body reverberating an agitated sensation.

“There!” Rainbow spotted Sombra reform back into himself. She changed her course back around to centre on him again. She speed through him once more.

Rainbow skidded into the snow and pivoted back around to where Sombra rematerializing as himself. He glared at her through slitted eyes.

“That’s it, stay right there so I can squish you!” Rainbow stomped the ground twice and catapulted towards Sombra at break-neck speeds.

As before, Rainbow went through his misty black form another time. She dexterously pivoted her body around. Readying to catch him when he remade himself. She dived with her hooves straight out towards the smog. Again, she went straight through it.

Sombra’s true form emerged as the smoke seemed to snap to his body and disappear.

“Hey, come on, what gives? You can’t be doing that all the time! Fight me!” Demanded Rainbow Dash showing no less braver from when she started at Sombra. She stood on her hind legs and jabbed the air.

He smirked at her, the chill biting his tongue. Sombra turned to face Rainbow head on, lowering his stance. Rainbow had a small grin on her face as she followed suite, relishing in the adrenaline coursing through her. The snow breezed back and forth around them. Sombra took off first, kicking a large hole in the snow. Rainbow leaned forward, putting in all her might to charging, forehooves outstretched, at him.

A sharp snap, like lightning cracked, echoed. Sombra’s horn glowed a ghostly red. Rainbow was a few feet away from him, panting heavily. Their strikes had left a small oval of cleared snow.

Rainbow Dash didn’t hear the desperate voices that called out to her. She could only make out odd blotches of colours on the ground below her before falling into a heap on the ground.

Pinkie emerged and jumped down just next to Rainbow’s head. Applejack also appeared and stood in front of them to guard them from Sombra if he decided to make a move on her passed out friend.

As if a call had been sent out, Rarity, Fluttershy with Spike and Trixie also emerged from the surrounding buildings, joining next to Applejack.

Trixie flinched a few steps backwards when Sombra observed her.

“So that thar’s the Sombra fella?” Applejack’s ear flicked back towards Trixie.

Trixie hummed meekly.

Applejack tapped her hoof digging through a thin layer of soft snow to find a solid platform to brace herself on.

“He don’t look so tough. That was just a lucky shot with Rainbow. Let's see if’n you can handle an earth pony.” Applejack grinned eagerly.

Sombra gave her little regard.

The voice of yet another pony and sound of rushing more hoofsteps approached the group and caused everyone to look their way.

“Wait!” Twilight called out.

Twilight rushed out in front of her friends. The aura of Sombra’s eyes grew denser.

“Twilight!” Her friends cheered as they attached themselves to her where they could in a shared hug.

“Hi, long time no see.” Twilight smiled at her friends holding her. She then turned to Rainbow on the ground. “How’s Rainbow doing there?”

“Uhh…” Fluttershy began.

“Uhh...I’m fine.” Rainbow finished as she got up from the ground holding a hoof groggily to her head. “Anypony catch the number on that wagon?”

Fluttershy pulled out a bandaid and applied it to the top of Rainbow’s muzzle.

Sombra eyes turned into pinpricks as a jolly laughter joined the gossiping ponies. Across from the two groups facing one another a large serpentine formed sagged lazily on top of a house's roof.

“The gang’s back together again!” Discord said jovially. Popcorn spilled from the bucket as he leaned back to continue his uproar while munching on the buttery treat.

“Discord!” The larger group chorused.

“Ladies!” he threw his arms out openingly. “Are we reconsidering that hug right now are we?”

“What are you doing here?” Twilight shouted to him from the street.

“Well, my dear friend Twilight…” Discord started to say before a mass of congealed smoke rammed into his face.

He fell from his perch on the building and landed into the snow below. He picked himself up and brushed small patches of snow off his shoulders.

“How rude.” He said turning his face up at Sombra as his physical form reappeared.

“As I was saying before being interrupted.” Discord pointedly looked at Sombra then towards Twilight’s group. “I just couldn't help myself! My draq-sense(™) were tingling and I had to just come and check out what was going to happen here for myself.”

Sombra’s hoof gripped his necklace in a shaky grasp as the rest of him tensed.

Discord waiting patiently by, his arms folded behind his back and a large smile on his face. His talon arm unfolded back out and pointed to the snowy night sky. “That little number around the empire was just for me now, wasn’t it? A very clever piece of magic if I do say so myself.” His arm folded back again while still facing Twilight. “But the only way you could of done any of that is that you have something that belongs to me.”

Discord lion paw flipped out from behind his back and radiated with light and picked Sombra up from around his barrel. Sombra drifted over to him.

Sombra struggled desperately trying to pull back. “Great tartarus! Back abomination!” He yelled.

“Who me? Why, you’re too kind.” Discord said.

Twilight’s face lit up from Sombra to Discord. She kept an eye on both characters.

“Discord, what are you doing here?” Twilight asked.

Discord ignored the question instead holding Sombra in the magically grasp of his paw his other taloned limb precisely dipped into Sombra’s fur to pull back out a crystal necklace.

Discord’s lips pursed. “Ooh, what’s that there?” He asked cooing.

“My. Now isn't this an old sock.” Discord said with lidded eyes. He cupped a collection of the crystals in his taloned appendage to inspect them.

“Oh my.” Discord voiced deepened. “Heh, that’s quite the trinket you have there.” He gaze, half-lidded, shifted from the necklace to Sombra eyes. “Mr. Almighty King himself if I do recall correctly.”

Discord pulled at the necklace, it digging into the back of Sombra’s neck. Sombra yelled as his horn glowed and he burst into smoke.

Discord coughed, spluttered, and spat. “Ew, hope I didn’t accidentally ingest any of him.” He said brushing away trails of the dark smoke from himself.

“Hmm, if you want to play with it then by all means. I mean, I can’t do anything with it.” Discord said with a dismissive tone as he dusted his fur with a brush, ensuring he was free from Sombra particles.

Sombra’s stance lowered to the ground staring up at the tall creature.

Discord tsked and explained as if it were a matter of fact. His limbs moved animatedly as he talked. “I said I can’t do anything with it. Chaos magic you know. Tends to do it’s own thing once it’s off its leash to be all the chaos it can be, you know. A pity really, all that energy could of been useful. I’ll let you hold onto for now old boy, maybe you’ll do something interesting with it, hmm yes?”


As the ponies squarely focused on the draconequus two other ponies waiting nearby. Across the street, between two buildings, they were crouched quietly waiting and trying not to deviate their attention from their target. Pitch shuffled closely next to Sabre.

“Do you think Sombra is distracted enough?” Pitch whispered.

Sabre simple nodded.

Both ponies watched closely as Sombra yelled at the ponies and draconequus.

“Okay, wish me luck cousin.” Pitch said and sprinted out with the crystal floating next to him


Sombra stared at the draconequus before sputtering. “What...you…? You’re the reason this is happening! You can’t even undo what you’ve done?” Sombra voiced raised as he talked.

Discord raised both his shoulders before he turned to Twilight’s voice.

“Discord.” Twilight said, her tone warning.

Sombra’s ear flicked and he bent his neck awkwardly as he caught the flying crystal in his magical grasp and wrenched it out of Pitch’s. A bead of sweat permeated Sombra’s brow as he turned his head to Pitch.

“Now, add another problem - even you two are against me.” Sombra said.

“What? No.” Twilight said. She stepped forward away from her group.

Sombra’s horn sparked and Sabre was dragged out from the other side of the street surrounded by Sombra’s magical signature.

“Huh?” Sombra’s eyes widened. Feeling a heavy tug on the crystal in his magic field.

With a moment of distraction Twilight jumped into the air using her weight to take hold of the crystal and push it towards Sombra’s horn.

“Don’t do it!” Sombra’s eye opened widely not able to hold Twilight back.

The crystal flicked and twirled out his magical field and was pierced by Sombra’s red horn. Pitch flinched when the crystal loudly snapped around it.

Sombra balked. “Betrayers, traitors, everywhere!” His teeth showed and he tried to remove the crystal with a hoof that was half way embedded down his horn.

He changed his attention from the crystal to Twilight. Twilight gulped. Sombra glared.

Rainbow snorted trying to conceal her laughter. The crystal on his horn on display and looked amusing to her.

Applejack and Rarity flanked opposite sides next to Twilight.

“The crystal ponies are safe now Sombra.” Applejack said.

“Yes, I suggest you turn tail and leave while we clean up this further mess of yours.” Rarity said.

“Yes, but what about the Crystal Heart?” Sombra said, snarling back at them.

Sombra’s throat rumbled with a low growl. Looking for the fear in the eyes of the ponies around him: Twilight, Pitch and Sabre. He didn’t bother looking at the abomination of creature parts that had taken an invisible seat nearby.

Sombra turned his mind to the Crystal Heart trying to make out a great detail that was growing. Ponies, or more important, a magical presence, was leaving the Crystal Empire. Sombra focused on his breathing, small wispy breaths puffed from his nose, as his felt the heart shifting.

“Did you do this? All of you?” He said, his lips bent in angry.

A pair of shades appeared over Discord’s eyes. “Oh, this going to be good.” He said, reclining back in the air and kicking one leg over the other.

Realization dawned over Sombra, the crystal around his horn had severed the intimate connection he had with the Crystal Heart. It was alone a top of the tower with nothing to mitigate the magic throughout the empire.

“No.” Sombra said.

Everyone’s attention followed where Discord was looking - the castle’s watch tower. Like a lighthouse a blinding burst of light showered out from the tower.

Away from the empire Cadance stood on the train platform with glistening eyes.

Discord turned his attention raptly to Sombra. Sombra also turned to Discord.

“Now what is going to happen to you I wonder?” Discord chuckled softly, taking a slurp out a drink container that just appeared.

Sombra jerked as The crystal necklace around him sparked. Jagged laces of lightning whipped forth from around his neck. He tried to hold back the energy from escaping the unstable shards of crystal by holding his hoof up against the streams. Trying to press them back into the crystal necklace. Though they just drifted past them unheeded.

“Did you plan this?” Sombra said, grabbing uselessly at another lance of light.

“I just make it up as I go along.” Discord said and sucked on the straw.

Sombra stared upwardly towards the castle’s watch tower.

“The heart?” Twilight said softly, her shoulders sagged sadly for some reason, a small trail of water combing through her cheek.

“The heart.” Sombra said angrily. He turned.

“Damn you abomination, to tartarus with you all. Now you’ve gone and done it, you’ve shattered the Crystal Heart.” Sombra spat.

“Oops.” Discord said. He wasn’t really sure how he was meant to feel in these one off situations.

“What happened?” Fluttershy asked to Discord.

Discord scratched his chin and hummed. “I would have a guess at hmm, too much of a good thing can be bad? I’m not sure on the details, the balance of things hasn’t ever really been my spiel.”

“That darn alicorn overloaded the heart with magic in wasn’t ready for!” Sombra yelled. “The heart was fine with dark magic inside it, but then that darn alicorn had to go and introduce light into it.” His face contorted. “...And then you cut me off from the heart!” He tapped the crystal around his horn hard. “Do you understand the consequences for doing so? They do not mix well together, light and chaotic energy!” He continued to blurt out.

“You think you know but you don’t. You’re trying to help, but you can’t. You think you know the way but it leads to real ruin.”

Sombra’s breathing repeatedly shuddered. He lurched back away from the spikes of magic. A rip and tear appeared in the sky.

Discord floated over. Clicking his talons together a large zipper appeared over the gateway and then drew over the opening.

“You need to be more careful with such things. Who knows what’ll happen.” Discord chided.

“I don’t need this from you abomination!” Sombra snarled.

Everyone stepped back from the electrified pony.

“Discord what’s happening?” Twilight yelled.

Discord thought about it for a moment and rubbed the top of talons under his chin.

Sombra’s eye twitched and a crystal snapped sharply into a dusty sprinkling of glittering light. His body shuddered. The fur on Twilight’s back stood on end and Sombra’s head sprung backwards. Nothing but green ether spilling from his eyes.

The tendrils of magic that spiked and rattled around Sombra curled into itself in a knot above him. The light launched into the sky leaving Sombra bear.

“Not what I would've done but I suppose then I’m in the professional league.” Discord said watching the sky with a bored expression.

Everyone else's silent attention was back on Sombra, his eyes deep with a full green mist. He faced the sky and with burst of magic from his horn the crystal trapped on it shattered apart. He breathed through clenched teeth, not blinking.

Twilight’s mane blew around her face. Her friends looked around anxious.

“Uh, I don’t how to tell you guys this but the weather's looks like is about to turn any second now.” Rainbow eyed the increasing size and density of the snow that was falling from the clouds.

“Doesn’t look like the only thing that’s taking and turn for the worst.” Rarity said, preparing to run.

Sombra’s mane was unkempt and his fur jagged; his eyes glowed green. His nose in the air took a large sniff. His mane and tail appeared larger than him. His defining pony form phased in and out from body to shadow.

“Get out.” Sombra said, a predatory gleam across his lips.

The groups didn’t move.

“I said get out! Get out of my home!” He reared up onto his back legs, kicking his forelegs at them.

“Now!” He boomed.

With a click of his talon Discord vanished from his spot.

Tears ran down Twilight’s face. “Let's go!” She said and everyone ran.

Sombra’s lips twitched uncontrollably as he tried to focus his vision on the heart. He couldn’t see it but something within him told him it was broken into millions of tiny pieces.


A snow storm pelted blindly against Twilight's side hard and fast, quickly building a layer of snow thick enough that they had to force their way through it.

“Where’s the train, we should be able to seek cover there until the storm dies down at least.” Twilight tried in vain to block out the snow hitting her face. She ensured to keep her wings firmly against her body so they didn’t unbalance her in the wind.

Twilight squinted, trying to make out the forms of friends in the storm.

“Hey, girls?” She yelled.

A pony walked into her.

“Trixie?”

“Ah-huh, Sparkle!” Trixie stepped back. “Trixie can not see a hoof in front of herself. What’s going on here? It was fine until just a moment ago!” She said loudly.

“Are we there yet?” Pitch asked around Trixie’s tail. Behind him Sabre was similarly holding Pitch’s tail in his mouth.

“I’m not sure. We’ll figure it out once we’re out this storm. Here take my tail.” Twilight said, turning to smack Trixie in the face with her tail. Trixie gritted her teeth around the fine hairs.

The pony train pushed on.


The storm stopped and the small group looked around wildly blinking.

“What the?” Twilight paused her advance as the storm stopped with not a flake in the sky.

They found themselves in small clearing surrounded by trees heavy with snow. A gurgling rumble echoed around them. A set of blue, sapphire like eyes opened in the snow.

“Tundra wolves!” Pitch gasped dropping Trixie’s tail and suddenly running past Sabre. With Pitch’s tail in his mouth Sabre was pulled along after him.

“Quick into the trees.” Pitched called out. He and Sabre quickly scaled up the closest tree with expert precision and speed.

Trixie was fast behind them and scrambled at the tree base. Her head turned and she gasped as she saw twins eyes ahead of Twilight coming forward to reveal a towering wolf that almost blended in with the snow itself.

“Oh joy, an alpha.” Pitch sarcastically said nervously his horn lighting up to yank Trixie up from the ground to his branch.

“Twilight?” Sabre said, pointing her out to Trixie and Pitch.

Twilight stood still, wings expanded out instinctively to enlarge her presence to be intimidating. She hadn’t been quick enough to get up a tree as the wolves cornered her in a circle.

“Sparkle, here!” Trixie called out as she snapped off a branch of the tree and threw it down to her. Twilight however wasn’t paying enough attention to catch the branch as it landed in the snow next to her. She wasn’t paying any more attention of the large wolf a few metres in front of her. She was caught in the predator’s hungry eyes.

Just as the the alpha wolf was about to leap at Twilight a large blur of darkness drilled the fierce creature aside. Tumbling onto top of it Sombra stood snarling down at the wolf. Twilight blinked.

The other wolves turned from the small pony to help their leader. Wolf after wolf jumped at the stallion and pushed him off of the large alpha with their paws and heads running into him.

A stray few however had their attention on Twilight. Another group kept a steady guard watching the three ponies in the tree together.

Twilight ran off as fast as she dared without exhausting herself immediately. A howl in the distance made Twilight turn her head suddenly. She could hear fast and approaching movement throughout the woods surrounding her. Suddenly the large alpha wolf jumped out in front of her, blocking her path.

Twilight turned to run the other way but was again blocked by another few, smaller tundra wolves, each snarly hungrily at her. She screamed and headed to the side of them, into the thicket of the forest. Branches clawed and tried to pull her back from her advance. The wolves were behind her now, but the larger one was nowhere to be seen. Twilight didn’t like that, it boded grim.

As Twilight made a break through the forest she was about to past by the large girth of a impressive tree. The giant wolf made itself known to her then. The wolf snapped at her legs forcing her to back up and into the tree. She was surrounded now as the tundra wolves all came to surround her at the base of the tree. Each one was catching their breath and savouring the meal to come.

Twilight let her magic pull a loose branch from the tree. Planning to wield the wooden branch loosely in her telekinetic group like a makeshift sword to defend herself against the wolves.

One wolf saw a chance as the branch levitated down towards the pony and jumped at her. However a smooth flowing movement cracked the branch across the face of the wolf. Frantically, Twilight swung the branch in front of her to create some distance between herself and the wolves. They slowly snuck in on her as her mind started to race with growing panic.

The wolves knew it was time to attack. Three leapt at her, one by one. Twilight managed to swat the first away from her in mid-air with her branch. The second however managed to sink its teeth into the branch and forcefully pulled her to the ground. The third latched its teeth just onto the rear of her tail.

The wolf tugged her down to the ground stretching the pony out and into a position of vulnerability - the large tundra wolf decided the hunt was at end. It quickly jumped out, mouth wide and seeking the soft flesh of the pony's neck – a ensured meal.

Just as Twilight thought her demise upon her. A loud whoosh came into the foray and threw the leading wolf out into forest. The dark shadowy presence quickly shrank in on itself to materialized a very pony-like creature. Twilight eye’s were wide with shock and disbelief, it was Sombra. He quickly took the wolf at the front of the branch with his magic. Using as much strength as he could to quickly levitate it and haul it back out at the other wolves.

The wolf gnawing and mashing at Twilight’s tail, quickly trained his concentration onto Sombra and jumped to re-clasped it jaws around another more fleshy object. The unbreakable stone like teeth quickly easily pierced the back of Sombra. He growled as he swung himself around stoutly and threw off the eager creature from his back.

It was now or never. All the smaller wolves charged at the strong pony to bring him down quickly. Two dove and shoved him into the ground as the others quickly moved in to snap at him. With a loud roar he kicked out to knock away the wolves. He then reached out with magic to drag the two offending wolves away from his face. He hurled them back at their comrades. The wolves reformed in front of Sombra and he stood protectively in front of Twilight as she laid there still in shock. A loud mashing of trees and snow presenting the large alpha wolf coming back into the attack. It raced out, jumping over it’s lesser kind and charged savagely at Sombra.

The wolf ran chest first into Sombra, to knock him to the ground. Purposefully, Sombra grabbed a hold of the wolves shoulders as he geared towards the ground. Pressing one rear leg into its chest he heaved with all his might to launch the wolf over his shoulders. The alpha wolf smashed up against a tree, rattling the snow from the branches.

Sombra’s horn sparked like a match and trail of flame blazed across the snow. The wolves howled desperately and scattered away in fearful fright of the blaze. A howl from one of them signalled a retreat from this hunt and they speed away. The alpha saw the magical fire and also chased after its comrades.

Trixie, Pitch, and Sabre came to Twilight and picked her up out the snow.

Everyone stared at the irregular mass that was Sombra. His form diminishing back to normal. His breath shuddered from exhaustion and cold.

Sombra breathed heavily as he watched warily as the tundra wolves ran away. Twilight still couldn’t believe her eyes. Sombra had rescued her. He lidded eyes meet hers for a brief moment just as he grunted and pasted out into the snow.

The others shared expressions of concern looking over Twilight as she stared out into the forest.

“This is no good.” Pitch said looking around the trees. “If I’m not mistaken, we’re at the foot of the Crystal Mountain.” He said and hummed. “We’ve somehow been turned around during the storm. It’ll take us a while to get back across towards the station.”

Twilight quizzically looked at him, remembering to breath.

“We’re on the other side of where the train station would be?” Trixie said.

Twilight nodded her head. “If that’s the case...we’re heading back to the castle then.”

Trixie gawked at her wanting clearly to be away from all the bad situations the Crystal Empire had caused her. Trixie reevaluated her priorities watching Twilight struggle to pick up Sombra.

“What are you doing?” Trixie said, in slight disbelief.

“I’m not leaving him here like this.” Twilight said.

“Help me.” Twilight motioned for Pitch and Sabre. She then began to hoist him onto their backs. Trixie came over and helped pick him up and over the two stallions.

“Got him?” Twilight asked.

Pitch and Sabre nodded.

“Alright, together now, right and then left.” Pitch instructed verbally till he and Sabre had a smooth forward momentum pattern working together. They made their way out of the forest and unto the empty tundra towards the crystal castle. The night sky filled with a few stray white clouds.