• Published 9th Jun 2014
  • 3,465 Views, 42 Comments

Long Live The King - Morpheus Sandman



To restore their family heritage. Pitch and Sabre have one mission in mind. To rehabilitate their forefather. The master of darks arts, Sombra.

  • ...
10
 42
 3,465

Snow Day

In the heart dimension the morning broke like it would normally if it were Equestria. The only thing missing was the morning song of the birds.

“So why are we outside again?” Trixie asked, trotting alongside Twilight, her hooves crunching in and out of the snow. She looked up at the pale blue morning sky.

“Outside is less gloomy,” Twilight explained. “Being in the natural world environment is good for the body, good for the soul.” Twilight explained confidently as if she had read it from a book. She closed her eyes to appreciate and breath in the still surroundings. A deep breath caused her to choke and cough. She patted her chest to clear away the fit.

“What are we doing Sparkle?” Trixie shook her head and grumbled agitatedly.

“Increasing our friendship potential.” Twilight cheered, turning to face Trixie. “Hope and joy are needed to restore the Crystal Heart. So!” She emphasized enthusiastically. “I know we’ve had our differences in the past but right now we need to be a lot more hopeful and joyful towards one another. Emotions shared are emotions doubled!” Twilight said, she then gasped. “Or maybe even tripled! I never considered studying of how magic is tied into our emotions and, being in the Crystal Empire, how those affect the Crystal Heart,” She rambled on.

“Right.” Trixie interjected as Twilight stopped to breathed. Trixie shuffled in the snow a little weary of her excitement for whatever she had planned.

“So what are you hopes Trixie?” Twilight asked expectantly with large pleading eyes.

Trixie was stunned for a moment having just been put on the spot. The smile of Twilight’s face seemed genuine even if a there was a screw loose somewhere.

“I hope to make it out this alive.” Trixie deadpanned.

“Good, striving to survive. A very hopeful attribute.” Twilight said and without missing a beat asked. “What’s your most joyful memory?”

A hoof meet Trixie’s lips and she contemplated this. “Well, it was possible the time Trixie received her cutie mark.”

“Ah, a classical joyful moment.” Twilight nodded.

Trixie was becoming more wary of Twilight’s unflinching happy dial.

“Go on.” Twilight said.

Yet Trixie was quite happy to reveal in herself. “Well uh...it was like a moment in time when everything made sense. Trixie knew her purpose in life, what direction she would take. The path opened up and laid bare before her. To bring wonderment to little fillies and colts was my destiny.” Trixie said, her explanatory tone building up with excitement as she talked about herself.

Twilight’s smile got bigger. She pulled the crystal necklace away from her neck to see if it had changed in any manner. She frowned scrupulously at it. The crystal didn’t look much different than before. She shook it experimentally while her ear flicked over it. Maybe it sounded different?

“Sparkle it’s not a toy!” Trixie said worriedly. As though Twilight might accidentally break it and with it Trixie’s hope of potentially getting back home sooner rather than later.

“Hmm, maybe we’re not doing this right,” Twilight said staring at the crystal thoughtfully. “I’ll ask Doctor Pitch, he knows about crystals,” Twilight called out suddenly.

Twilight rushed off and kicked a layer of snow across Trixie’s hooves. Trixie grumbled as the cool sensation of snow engulfed her legs. She picked up the snow into a ball and threw it at Twilight’s head.

“Hey careful, the snow is still cold here.” Trixie said.

The snowy projectile impacted the back of Twilight’s head.

“Hey, what was that for?” Twilight called over her shoulder as she brushed out the snow from the back of her mane.

“Umm-nah-umm.” Trixie spluttered. “Trixie deemed it necessary to create joy...and stuff.”

The seconds ticked by before Twilight’s face brightened. “That’s brilliant Trixie. A friendly, comradely building exercise like a snow fight is just the thing to build up some positive emotions and experience.”

Twilight leered competitively at Trixie, stamping the ground and readying to take off. The determined expression on Twilight made Trixie backpedaled worriedly.

“W-wait, Twilight! Trixie doesn’t rough house.” Trixie turned her body.

Twilight took off with Trixie turning to run away from the crazy mare.

“Twilight!” Trixie cried. Twilight gleefully chased Trixie across the snowed yard.

Trixie rounded behind one of the few trees spotted around the yard.

“Don’t you dare Twilight Sparkle!” Trixie yelled out.

Twilight chuckled as she scooped a hoof full of snow and flung it towards the tree. It struck Trixie true in the forehead.

“One point for team Sparkle.” Twilight cheered with a hoof pump.

“W-what. We’re keeping score. Well fine!” Trixie grumbled, following Twilight’s suite and scooping up a small snowball of her own. She threw her leg back and took careful aim at Twilight’s face.

“Dodge this. Trixie’s Snowball Special!” Trixie’s snowball catapulted and arced straight across Twilight’s head.

“You gotta do better than that Trixie if you want to beat me.” Twilight said cheerfully and ran for Trixie. Trixie muttered incoherently and ran around the tree with Twilight hot on her tail.

From the castle Pitch and Sabre exited to the garden patio. They stopped to rest on the porch stone railing, looking out with amusement to where Twilight and Trixie were having youthful tomfoolery.

“Well I can taste it and feel it in my stomach,” Sabre said and took another crisp bite of his apple. The cousins had discovered in the kitchen that the taking of food, followed by the eating of said food, would in turn make said food reappear where they took it from.

“She’s really enthusiastic, huh?” Sabre said. The gleeful expression of Twilight and the horror of Trixie’s as she was pummelled by another snowball to the side of the face made Sabre grin.

“What’s eating you?” Sabre asked while Pitch stared off into the distance.

“It’s just, the trouble we’ve caused.” Pitch said after a moment. Sabre took another bite of his apple.

“It’s bad, yeah.” Sabre drolled. “But it could be worse.” He showed a small smile.

“How?” Pitch said angrily, not to Sabre, but at the situation.

“Could be snowing.” Sabre said, taking another bite of his apple. Pitch looked up to the clear morning sky.

“It’s no worse than the situation we were in before. If anything I’d say it was an improvement.” Sabre said.

Pitch gave him an incredulous look before his ears flicked back over towards the castle.The sound of hoof steps on stone made them turn to Sombra approaching them. He joined them with his hooves crossed over the railing. He saw the two mares running out on the patio. If Pitch and Sabre had to guess, by the bags under his eyes, he hadn’t slept that night.

“So, nice day today.” Sombra said, hoping he sounded normal.

“Uh, yes, your majesty. Nice day it is. Today.” Pitch said with a forced grin. He turned to Sabre who pushed his shoulder and made small twitching nods at Sombra.

“What?” Pitch said raspily to Sabre in a hushed tone.

“Talk to him,” Sabre said and continued to press his shoulder lightly.

Pitch shook his head before his attention went back to Sombra. “What are your plans today your majesty?” Pitch asked.

They heard the low throaty grumble of Sombra thinking out loud. “I have one. You two should join them over their in their game.”

Processing new information Pitch’s ears stood on ends. “Huh?” He replied.

“I’m still in the same situation as before. The Crystal Heart needs to be restored. Last night, I did some thinking…”

Pitch leant in closer as Sabre almost fell over him to get closer himself. Sombra watched them wearily and leant away from their overbearing, childlike expectancy.

“I’m willing to give friendship a try.” Sombra said.

Pitch and Sabre smiled before chuckling. “Then we will be with you to that end.” Pitch said.

Sombra nodded to them and rested a hoof on his bandaged wound.

“This is the first time anypony has gone to such lengths to help me.” Sombra said. “I haven’t felt like this for a long time,” He gingerly ran a hoof over his bandaged leg.

“Hmm you should do something special for her.” Pitch suggested with a eyebrow raised hopefully.

“Huh, who?” Sombra asked quickly.

“Twilight.” Sabre added.

“You need to show her you not out of touch with the social norms.” Pitch said.

Sabre flicked his tail at him.

“I-I mean, gratitude. Show your gratitude by graciously accepting Twilight’s help with the heart and then do something special for her in return.” Pitch said.

“But what?” Sombra asked.

Pitch and Sabre shared a look of amazed bewilderment. Their expressions turned happy and amused at the thought of being helpful to Sombra.

“There’s the usual, flowers, chocolates, cupcakes, muffins…” Pitch said, listing things off as he thought.

Sabre pressed his hoof into Pitch’s shoulder. “No, no…” Sabre said. “...It has to be something special, something that captures her interest.”

“But I don’t really know anything about her.” Sombra realised.

Pitch and Sabre winced as they looked at one another then over the yard towards the blue unicorn, Trixie who admirable yelled away as Twilight chased her. She was prancing away from Twilight as she occasionally scooped up some snow to wildly throw, miss, and run away again.

“Sabre.” Pitch said with a sense of command.

“On it.” Sabre saluted and walked off.

He made good time in approaching the two unicorns as their frivolities ended as Trixie flopped to the ground.

“I won.” Twilight said proudly.

Trixie snorted. “Cheated more likely. How’s a pony meant to keep up with an alicorn?”

“I’m not sure. But I was having fun.” Twilight laughed.

“Well, Trixie wasn’t.” She said getting up and limped past Twilight. Trixie grunted with pain as she hopped over to a nearby bench, swiping away the snow before sitting down. She rubbed her sore leg and looked to Sabre as he stopped in front of them.

“Trixie? Could perchance my cousin and I request a mare’s assistance in the kitchen?” Sabre asked hopefully not sounding too strained. He sounded much the same as he always did.

Trixie harrumphed then her hoof bent to her chest for her theatrics to ensue. “Can you not tell that Trixie is exhausted. She is not all the pony she could be right now.” She looked up to Sabre with haunting eyes.

Sabre’s expression remained unchanged.

She sighed and gave in. “Trixie’s job is never done. Fine she shall help but she expects recompense.” She stood back up easily and followed Sabre.

With no one else noticing Sabre gave a oddly surreptitious wink to Sombra which he wasn’t sure how to react to. Twilight noticed the two ponies out on the porch and made her way over to them as Trixie and Sabre left her.

“Where are they going?” Twilight asked from below on the patio as she continued up the small flight of stairs and onto the porch.

“Diner preparations.” Sombra said, giving Twilight his best smile as she rounded near him. It had the unintended effect of making Twilight flinch a little seeing his canine teeth.

“All three of them? Now?” Twilight said watching as Pitch disappeared around the corner of the castle after the other two.

“Umm, yes. For posterity I’m sure.” Sombra said.

Twilight looked at him oddly and joined Sombra on the railing with her hooves crossed.

Sombra rubbed his neck before resting.“This is hard for me to say,” Sombra’s mouth was closed as he licked his teeth anxiously. Twilight twisted her head to him and he turned to meet her. He didn’t look Twilight directly in the eye.

“I wanted to apologise for this happening. I never intended for all this to drag out so long. By ignoring the crystal ponies to try and fix the heart I put them in danger.”

Twilight stood for a while, looking into Sombra’s eyes as they meet.

“What?” Sombra asked, turning his head away from her stare.

“Just wow. I don’t know - I don’t think you need to apologise to me Sombra.” Twilight said before she added. “Though you did kidnap me and are holding me as a prisoner.”

“That too.” Sombra said softly.

“I feel as though it’s me that should be apologising. If it weren’t for me, we probably wouldn't be in this predicament we’re in now.” Twilight avoided looking him directly in the eyes.

“I don’t think what you did was the best. Nor ignoring those who wanted to help...even if the princesses were a little more forward with their help.” Twilight mumbled that last part then sighed. “We might as well be in another world now due to my mistake. I didn’t think about what my action would have on the heart when I rushed to help the crystal ponies.” She turned to face Sombra. “Nor did I ask the one pony who probably knew what would happen. Add another mistake. We’ve both made hills into mountains.” Twilight said.

“Big ones.” Sombra said, a small smile on his lips.

“Yeah.”

After a lull in the conversation they looked out into the patio together looking at the still snow, the quiet trees, and the rather ambivalent environment. Twilight turned back to meet Sombra.

“So. Would you like some help?” Twilight asked.

Sombra paused to breath.

“I am willing,” he said determinedly. “Do you want help?”

Twilight paused to breath.

“I don’t want to be here any longer then needed. If I can help, then I will,” she said.

“You’re hopeful.” Sombra commented on Twilight’s confident tone.

“I’m like to think I am overly optimistic.” Twilight said. Sombra chuckled at that.

“Besides, this place is really eerie. Have you noticed there’s no little creatures around. You’d think there’d be a bird or squirrel scampering about in the yard. It’s like something out of a horror or mystery novel.” Twilight observed.

Sombra slowly inspected the place. He worried unsurely about what he was going to do now. Or how he was going to go about it exactly.

Sombra saw the dark coat of Pitch against the snow as his head poked out from around the corner. He held up a book and pointed at it. Sombra grumbled internally.

“I want to show you something....” Sombra almost um-ed and ah-ed as he dragged the last word out. He pushed off of the railing and headed back into the castle.

“Something?” Twilight mimicked him, following shortly after him.

“Something... special,” Sombra finished, hoping that would be enough till he could figure out what that something was.

“Oh, what is it?”

“It’s a surprise.” Sombra said hiding his wit.

Twilight looked at him skeptically. Sombra lead the way through the castle hallway and corridors. It didn’t take too long for him to find the red and golden hall runner that would lead him to his desired destination on the north part of the castle. They came to a slow stop at the doorway. Twilight looked up the banner that hung above it.

Sombra was about to open the doors when he had an idea and turned to Twilight. “You have to close your eyes for it.” He said.

Twilight looked at him disbelievingly. “I don’t get it.”

“It’s a surprise. It’s meant to be unexpected.” Sombra grinned.

Twilight closed her eyes. Sombra’s waved his hoof in front of Twilight, looking for any noticeable reaction. Pleased, he quietly opened the door then took one of Twilight’s hooves in his and gently tugged her forward into the shadowy library.

“Not yet.” Sombra said seeing after seeing Twilight’s mouth twitch. “Stay here for just a moment.”

Sombra’s tiptoed eagerly across the library. The long curtains drapes were pulled aside with little effort. Each pull of the curtain a new light shined. As he opened up the curtains to let the sunlight in he lifted away the dark interior of the library. Twilight instinctively moved her head towards the light that warmed her face. Sombra pulled each curtain open to its fullest and covered the room in warmly inviting sunlight.

“Can I open them now?” Twilight said, sensing Sombra coming back.

“Yes. Open your eyes.”

So Twilight opened her eyes and they lit up like stars at night. Twilight's gaze swept across the library taking in the pleasant visual of knowledge with a small half smile all the while.

The library was a large open room. Every conceivable wall shelved books. The outer walls extended so high that they were divided into three levels with spiralling stairs joining them together. The tiles of the floor were smoothed to a shine. Hearths spotted around the room with sitting areas and mantelpieces decorated the library. The most impressive display of two manticores statues on the second level of the inner walls, staring across at one another. Flat crystal discs on swivelable daises bounced the light around the room.

Twilight short giggles turned into outright laughter. She wiped the happy tears out of her eyes. Seeing Sombra’s confusion she said.

“I’m getting the impression you have a thing for stairs.” Twilight said, a small smile played on her lips teasingly.

Sombra looked at her flatly.

“Heh, sorry. I’ve been here before. It’s still amazing as ever. I’ve never seen so many books in one place before, not even Canterlot’s royal library is this impressive.” Twilight said spinning around the room.

Sombra stood awkwardly looking everywhere but Twilight.

“So, no other catch, no plans within plans or cryptic speeches?” Twilight stopped spinning.

“Not this time,” Sombra said and sagged, looking at the floor. He relaxed when he looked back to see Twilight’s smile. “If we’re to be here awhile you should know you can come here whenever you want.”

Twilight smiled. “Thank you for showing me the library. Honestly, with the changed looked to the kingdom I imagined the layout would of changed as well.”

Sombra shook his head with a light chuckle. “That wouldn’t of been economically viable, much less have any practical use to have changed anything.”

“Then why change it at all?” Twilight asked.

“Increase the gloom, increase the dank, dark emotions for the heart.” Sombra said playfully.

Twilight nodded. “Well I guess while we’re stuck here. Would you like to read together?” Twilight said trotted over to a nearby bookshelf. She screed top to bottom, left to right, of the bookshelf and picked out a few books of interest.

As Twilight’s hooves heaved with books Sombra walked over and held out his hoof. Wordlessly she passed half of what she held to him.

“It’ll be warmer in the sitting lounge.” Sombra said and Twilight agreed. While a amazing library in of itself the space leant itself to be rather chilly.

They trotted back, Sombra keeping up with Twilight’s eager steps.

Sombra passed several logs into the fireplace and on the ashes of the previous night. He grabbed a hoof full of twigs and branches from the wooden bin next the the fireplace and threw them in. From the mantelpiece he grabbed a piece of flint and a metal scraping tool to strike the fire. It took three strikes against the flint and that was enough for it to get it started. Sombra blew on the fire steadily till he was satisfied it would take.

Twilight had laid down on the rug and waited as Sombra settled down opposite her.

“So, I picked out a few interesting titles here that you might be interested in.” Twilight said. Six books were turned so Sombra could read the covers.

He openly glared at them, forcing the words on the covers to deciphered themselves for him. When he felt his eyes drying he slid one book away from Twilight.

“Oh-ho-ho, no. You don’t want to read that one!” Twilight said briskly, the purple of her cheeks flushed red. She quickly slid the book back and into her embrace. Sombra was not only lost for how to read but what to say.

“That one’s more for me than anyone else.” She turned to look at her wings resting at her sides.

Sombra took the book next to the one that Twilight now held protectively. He cracked open the book and pretended to be reading. The jumbled symbols making no sense to him, cursing his long time stuck in the prison.

Twilight didn’t so much pick up the discomfort from Sombra’s expression but was able to tell when someone wasn’t in the throes of reading. Though seeing somepony like Sombra, who seemed to be having trouble reading, was strange for Twilight. Surely he could read, she wondered.

“Are you ok Sombra? You look troubled.” Twilight asked, peeking up at him from her book.

“Fine,” Sombra said.

“Doesn’t sound fine to me,” Twilight said looking across at Sombra who willed himself not to look up from the pages.

She steadily got up from her place on the rug and rounded up next to Sombra, a few inches away from touching sides. Sombra didn’t turn from looking inside the book.

Twilight waited patiently.

“Twilight…” Sombra said shyly. “Could you...teach...me?”

“The great strategist never learned to read?” Twilight asked, a bit teasingly with some real talk.

“That was a long time ago now.” Sombra said sadly.

Twilight quickly amended herself, not expecting that answer and hummed, finding that interesting.

“I could teach you if you like.” Twilight said softly not sure if prison life for Sombra was a tender subject or not and would be inadvertently brought up.

Sombra softened his shoulders. “I’d appreciate that.” He said, turning to face her.

“I was able to teach a baby dragon to read when I was eight. I’m sure I can handle you.” Twilight said encouragingly.

A few hours spent and Twilight made a course for Sombra to identify letter forms. Hoping, that, deep in the recesses of his mind, he’d be able to pick up what he had lost. They had gone through the whole alphabet.

“You’re doing fairly well after only after a few hours,” Twilight said. “I don’t think you're totally unable to read. You just need some refreshing in that department.”

“Hm, remember which was S and Z face will take some time.” Sombra said.

“Shapely S and ziggy Z.” Twilight punctuated animatedly.

Sombra gave her a new look.

“Something from my friend Pinkie; it means amazing, apparently - but also talks too much and tends to be abnormally strange.” Twilight said with a wily smile.

“Your friend sounds abnormally strange.” Sombra grinned. He got up to poke the fire with the iron poker hanging under the mantlepiece.

“That’s Pinkie to a T.” Twilight said.

“That’s an old phrase I didn’t believe I’d ever hear.” Sombra said after he chuckled. He came back over and settled back down next to Twilight.

She giggled. “Yes, the strangeness of Pinkie can be infectious at times. Even in this dimension.” Twilight’s eyes opened and she looked around the room energetically.

“What is it?”

“I was just thinking, Pinkie has a knack for always showing up at the most unexpected times.” Twilight’s eyes squinted scrupulously.

“There is a chance there are other ponies here.” Sombra contemplated. “If she or any other pony didn’t make it out of the hearts radius when it transported ponies here.” Sombra stood back up again. “I should go look.”

Twilight stood up next to him. “I’ll give a hoof. We should get the others to lend one as well.”

To that end Sombra and Twilight ended up in the royal dining room. Sombra was about to head through the kitchen door when Trixie burst out in front of him.

“How rude. Trixie was only trying to lend a hoof.” She muttered before noticed that other ponies were in the room with her.

“Oh...hi?” Trixie said weakly.

Pitch saw Sombra through the open door and came to the threshold. “Five minutes your majesty. If you all would like to take a seat.” His look warned Trixie. “We shall serve just after that.”

Sombra grunted and with a nod went to the head of the table. Twilight trotted to the lower end. Trixie waited and watched. Twilight pointed to the seat next to her. Trixie nodded her thanks and sat down a little more weary that she was about to dine with a princess and a king. Albeit, Twilight’s princesshood hadn’t been an issue before.

“I think this is right by royal precedence. This being their home and us as guests.” Twilight said to Trixie.

Pitch rolled out a trolley with bowls on top. Sabre went to stand behind the chair next to the Sombra. Pitch ahammed and pointed to the seat next to Trixie. Before Sabre moved Sombra said there was no need.

He smiled good-naturedly. “I’ve never known much of seating precedence. So seat wherever you like.”

Pitch served as host and rolled the trolley from one end to the other, first serving the lower end and came back to the other to do the same.

“You got kicked out of the kitchen over oats?” Twilight tried not to grin.

Trixie bit her tongue as Sabre tried not to laugh.

“Honey and cinnamon oats.” Sabre chimed in monotonously.

Twilight shook her head. The cutlery on the table bounced as Sombra’s head buried into the soft and warm honeyed oats. Trixie dropped her spoon and gawked before snickered behind her hoof.

Pitch coughed to get Sombra’s attention. Sombra drenched muzzle appeared above the bowl. Pitch looked at him pleadingly. Sombra followed his gaze down to a silver spoon left unattended next to the bowl.

Sombra blinked at the foreign object in front of him. From the way he handled the spoon one would think he never handle one before. Taking it crudely in one hoof he dug out a full spoon of oats. He lifted the spoon above his lowered head and let the contents slip off of it into his mouth.

Pitch rolled his eyes shaking his head disdainfully. He turned to Sabre and the other three unicorns turned to the earth pony at the table for sagely advice and saving grace.

He calmly brought up his hooves next to his bowl and waited for everyone else to follow suit. Sabre gently moved in so that the bowl was pressed gently into his fetlocks and brought it up off the table. Everyone followed. Sabre leant his head tilting his hooves to slurp the oats with minimal noise and mess. The unicorns followed his actions just after him.


Following the diner they gathered together outside the castle courtyard. Where they would head out and look for other ponies that may be around.

“Pitch and Sabre you can help them scout the kingdom. We’ll meet back at the gate here as the sun sets.” Sombra said. He turned tail, his cape flapping in the air, and walked off.

Twilight and Pitch headed away from the gate with Trixie and Sabre heading off in another direction.

“We should mark a perimetre so we don’t go over where we’ve already been,” Pitch suggested.

“We should also start outside and work our way inwards, that way we finish at the gate without having to walk all the way back.” Twilight said.

They nodded their arguments as they trotted along.

“So how are you and your cousin holding up?” Twilight asked.

“Sabre can handle almost any situation that comes his way. His acceptable of change. He’s a very easy going. With the flow sort of pony.” Pitch said.

“And yourself?” Twilight asked.

Pitch sighed. “If you’re asking - I don’t regret being associated with helping with Sombra’s plans. Sabre and I knew what we were getting into. I only regret we’re not strong enough to fulfil the means in a more proper way.” He sighed louder. “That’s something we’re going to have to carry the rest of our lives.”

Twilight placed a hoof on Pitch’s shoulder. “He is an intimidating pony at first, mean and coarse.” Twilight tittered at the memory. “And a little unrefined.” She talked seriously again. “Considering what’s happening here and in Equestria, he’s in a situation where he’s unsure of himself.” She hummed. “We all sort of are.”

“Add to the fact he’s probably not used to be around others,” Twilight's face winced. “But we also need to show him that it’s not just because of the Crystal Heart that we’re doing this.” Twilight said.

“He’s going to need somepony he can trust and confide in. You and Sabre have been with him the longest. I’m sure with enough time he’ll open up to you both a lot more.” Twilight said.

“We’ll be there for each other.” Pitch smiled determinedly. Twilight agreed.


Sabre and Trixie trotted silently. It wasn’t long since they departed the others that Trixie eyed him angrily and harrumphed.

“You’re strange.” Sabre drolled.

“Says you!” Trixie said hotly.


Across the kingdom Sombra marched determinedly in and out of every building, home, and orifice he could find. He searched in basements, cupboards, attics, and alleyways, but didn’t sense any other pony all the while.

The sun was to setting as Sombra made his way back to the courtyard.

He came to an intersection of roads, an opened gathering area where a fountain was. It wasn’t functioning however. Three sculptures stood up on their hind legs, with one leg thrusted upwards as the other tucked in for counterbalance, their backs facing one another, and heads held back. It was a vaguely interesting sculpture of three ponies. They looked like they might have been dancing together.

Across the road behind the statues was a clothes store. Mannequins stood in the window with winter cloaks draped on them. Sombra almost turned away till he spotted to one side one of the cloak was of purple. Sombra tolerated the cold more than most but the others would need time to adjust. He stepped into the store and took the cloaks, laying them over his back to carry. He left quickly back to the gate.

Trixie and Sabre were the first back to the gate and watched out for the others return. Trixie eyed Sombra wearily as he approached them. He took the top most cloak and held it out to her. She looked from the cloak to Sombra unsurely.

“It’s a winter cloak. Take it.” He said. So she did. He passed another to Sabre. Twilight and Pitch approached.

“How did you go. Find anything?” Twilight asked.

“No.” Trixie harrumphed swinging the cloak around her withers and trotted off towards the castle.

Twilight questioned Sabre with a raised brow. She worried for Trixie. He scratched his chin and shrugged.

Sombra came up to Twilight with a dark purple coat lined in white ewe wool.

“Is that for me? Thank you, it’s beautiful.” Twilight said. Her hoof brushed his as she took it from him. Sombra smiled gently and finished passing out the cloaks with Pitch as the last recipient.

“We can try again when there’s more light. There’s still a whole kingdom left to search.” Sombra said.

“I’ll prepare some diner.” Sabre said where everyone unwittingly followed him back when he went to the castle.

As a professional assistant Sabre was used to serving simple meals to Pitch late into the night as he enraptured himself in his studies. The increase in mouths didn’t worry him. A quick and easy vegetable stew and fruit side dish was tonight’s main course.

All five ponies huddled at one end of the table at both sides of Sombra. A fire crackled to one side of the room. Their cloaks removed as the fire warmed them. There was a faintest depressing air after failing the task for the day.

“We have to speed this up somehow. We need to search the rest of the kingdom as quickly as possible. The more ponies that can help the quicker the heart can be restored.” Twilight said.

“Agreed.” Sombra nodded.

No one else said anything. Trixie twirled a spoon in her bowl.

The glum expressions wasn’t missed by Twilight so she said. “Come on everypony. Cheer up. We’ve barely started. Have some hope.”

Trixie’s jaw worked around. “How do we do that?” She said with listless sarcasm.

“We renew it.” She stated confidently. “If my research on friendship is any indication then a level of hope can be achieved by setting effective goals and then achieving them. Bodies can catch feelings as easily as fire catches. If we renew the fire of hope in own hearts that warmth can spread to each other.”

“Like a sponge soaking up water?” Sabre said.

“Yeah, like that.” Twilight said.

“Sounds...easy enough Trixie supposes.” Trixie said slowly. “Yes, Trixie’s supposes a sponge will came in handy to soak up the big pile of snow Equestria is buried under,” She said slumping back in her seat.

The change in mood shifted everyone awkwardly.

Sombra tried to put some of their fears at ease seeing their downtrodden gaze after Trixie’s remark. “From what I’ve been told Equestria isn't in a total state of disrepair,” he said.

“How do you know?” Twilight asked, ears turned towards him.

“I spoke with Cadenza.” Sombra said.

“You spoke with Cadance?” Twilight asked.

“Yes. She was able to project herself through the heart.” Sombra paraphrased partly what he and Cadance had talked about to the table.

“Wow, that’s amazing when you think about it,” Twilight gushed bringing a hoof to her lips in thought. “We’re stuck inside the Crystal Heart yet communications from outside can still get to us.”

“For the moment it seems.” Sombra said.

“Do you think we can try to communicate with her again?” Twilight asked.

“No.” Sombra said sternly. “We should leave the heart be.”

Twilight considered that would probably be best. The remaining dinner time went by in companionable silence. After everyone had departed their own way after dinner though Twilight’s thoughts came back to her.

“I wonder.” Twilight’s fetlock rubbed under her chin. “If Cadance can project herself into this dimension she might even be able to send some magic to help us out as well.” Twilight hummed. She trotted off to head to the throne room. The stairwell into the abyss was already opened. She grumbled looking down it and the anticipating trek down.

At the end of the stairs in the small dark area Twilight was meet with a single wooden door which awaited to the next, much longer staircase.She placed her hoof to the door handle. It quickly slammed open and the dark void inside took all her senses away from her.

When they returned she was back home in Ponyville. She looked around in confusion.

Outside a rumbling could be heard. The room quaked and items leapt up off the floor, tables, and shelves. Twilight ran for the window and looked out.

Bulging with muscular red arms, solid obsidian chest and ashen coat body a large centaur stood above the treeline. In between his two horns that curved upward from the side of his head, a blazing ball of fire burnt brightly. He threw the ball towards her.

Panicked Twilight tried to cast a teleportation and was almost not quick enough. Her eyes squinted and she swiftly tried to recollect her sensed. She noted the creature in front of her and took a fevered glance behind her. Her home was destroyed behind her.

Before her mind could contemplate a giant hoof stomped near her causing her to take notice.

“Once I have your magic. This world is mine little alicorn.”

The large fist snatched her from the ground. He squeezed her tight as she struggled to break free. Twilight desperately tried not to scream. The centaur Tirek opened his mouth. Twilight gasped trying to pull herself of his giant grip.

Twilight’s horn forced forward and she screamed as her her magic was sucked out and into the gigantic centaur's maw from it. Twilight struggled with great effort to regain control and tried not to scream.

“Somepony...help!” Twilight screamed out.

She opened her bleary eyes to shadows and panicked. Worried that she was going to pass out. Just as centaur's mouth was closing, draining the final bit of her magic, a red cloak pulled across her face.

Twilight gasped finding herself in the embrace of Sombra. His cape pulled from him and mostly around Twilight. He held her with his head close to hers. Twilight’s breathe shuddered as she recollected herself and Sombra opened his eyes.

“So real…” She choked steadying herself with her head against Sombra’s feeling like her magic had really been drained by the experience.

“I’m sorry. I wasn’t thinking you would go to the heart by yourself.” Sombra said.

Twilight was about to talk but Sombra beat her to the answer. “Everything that was a part of the Crystal Empire is also replicated here at the time when the heart took it.”

“So right now Cadance would be…” Twilight said, smacking her dried lips together.

“She’d be sitting outside in the Frozen North.” Sombra said, watching Twilight’s expression carefully.

“I’m…” she shuddered and tears streamed down her face.

Sombra hummed a unknown calming diddy.

Twilight chuckled feeling the soft vibration against her forehead. “Are you humming?”

Sombra grunted affirmatively. Twilight leaned her head back up and Sombra’s cape fall from her back. She rubbed the tears off of her cheeks.

“If you want to see to the heart I’ll have to open the door.” Sombra said.

Twilight smiled shyly, still feeling a layer of wetness on her lower eyelids. When Sombra’s hoof touched the door it slammed open. The luminescence of the crystal above shifted in tonal colours. The jet-black mesh moved and shifted in front of them.

Seeing Twilight frown Sombra said. “This is merrily a cosmetic thing, to intimidate those not brave enough to step through it.”

The chill of the substance Twilight still found unsettling as they stepped through it.

As they ascended the pearlescent staircase of the watch tower Sombra and Twilight walked up side by side.

“Know that any trap that I’ve made is only a fleeting visual, like a dream. It can not physically harm you.” Sombra said.

“It felt real. I swear I could even really hear what was being said. I remember it so well, as if it actually happened,” Twilight said, her eyes drifted around the steps in front of her.

“Admittedly, one of my better spells.” Sombra said. “I am rather protective of the Crystal Heart after all.”

Twilight nodded warily at that fact and they continued their trek upwards.

Twilight gasped as they emerged from the top of the spiralling stairwell. “The heart is whole?” The heart still emanated with an sand hourglass like quality to it. She lifted her hoof up to avoid any of the straying particles from touching her.

“It’s not the real heart and it’s not whole, not yet.” Sombra shook his head tiredly.

No sooner that they had arrived a pink dot jumped out of the Crystal Heart. It landed on the floor and was there for a brief moment before Sombra picked it up.

“Sombra!” Cadance called urgently.

“Cadance?” Twilight said.

“Twilight? It’s good to hear from you and not much later.” Cadance said and the sphere transfigured into a basic pony shape, albeit no tail and mane.

“What’s wrong Cadance?” Twilight asked.

“It’s Celestia and Luna.” She said and stopped before she said despairingly. “They’re not going to be able to hold back the storm of chaos.”

“W-What? How long?” Twilight said.

“A fortnight to a month at the most.” Cadance said. “They have a plan but they haven’t mentioned what...”

The pink pony mote crumbled away.

“Cadance!” Twilight said.

Sombra’s hoof dropped back the floor as his eyes drooped.

Twilight sagged. “What can we do?”

“Hope,” he said and turned to leave. “Come.”

Twilight followed not wanting to be left alone and trotted with no whimsy in her steps. The walk back to the throne room was long, hard, and quiet. Sombra stepped closely to Twilight sensing her discomfort and pressed his side to Twilight’s. She looked back down the stairs into it’s dark crevasse.

“I’m sorry…” Twilight whispered.

“Don’t be. This is not all your fault.” Sombra interjected. “Come. The heart and Equestria will keep for another night.”

Sombra walked ahead, Twilight to his flank, and matched his speed to hers. He lead her to the sitting lounge. Twilight sat easily down on the rug in front of the hearth and Sombra started a fire. As it began to burn he went over to a nearby table that was settled by various kitchen items. He poured a pitcher of water into a rustic kettle, marred black on the bottom. He grabbed the fire poker under the mantlepiece and use it to move the kettle onto the small flames.

“The others will have to be told about that door as well.” Twilight said.

“Pitch and Sabre are aware it. Only the show pony doesn’t know.” Sombra said.

“Trixie,” Twilight said and sniffled, with a gentle yet somehow reprimanding smile. “Her name is Trixie. How did you she was a show pony.”

Sombra grunted as half of his lips pulled up. He twirled hoof in front of him and then flicked his head back with it in a theatrically over-the-top way.

Twilight giggled. “Yes, that sort of gives it a way.”

Two faces watched eagerly from outside the room.

“Do you think it’s working Sabre?” Pitch said. He didn’t see Sabre shrug.

“What are you two doing.” Trixie hushly said, seeing the sly position the two ponies were in at the door. She poked her head in the doorway as well.

Sombra brought over a book and opened it up. One half Twilight took and Sombra held the other as they read together. Twilight doing most of the reading and helping Sombra to do so.


“What’s up with them?” Trixie whispered coarsely.

“Blossoming love,” Sabre drolled.

Trixie snickered. The three ponies bolted against the wall as Sombra and Twilight turned their way. Sabre kicked Pitch lightly in the fetlocks and motioned him down the hallway. Trixie followed after the two.

“The innate magic of an alicorn and the considerable power of Sombra, a match made in Tartarus it may seem. Though I believe he can be benevolent where the heart is concerned.” Pitch said.

“It’s probable the only thing he’s benevolent about.” Trixie said stoutly.

“Trixie that’s mean.” Sabre said.

Trixie flustered. “W-well...he’s more mean.” She bawled and then walked off.

Pitch grimaced. “Can’t blame here at this point.” he whispered. “She’s working through it but Sombra still has wrongs he’s to answer to.”

“She’s may even jealous of Sombra and Twilight getting closer.” Sabre began walking again. “Or she might have feelings for me but is not sure how to go about admitting it.” Sabre drolled.

“Ah-huh. What?” Pitch said evenly then laughed. “So now I’m playing matchmaker for two ponies? When did this happen?”

“It must be my natural charm.” Sabre droned.