• Published 9th Jun 2014
  • 3,466 Views, 42 Comments

Long Live The King - Morpheus Sandman



To restore their family heritage. Pitch and Sabre have one mission in mind. To rehabilitate their forefather. The master of darks arts, Sombra.

  • ...
10
 42
 3,466

Magic In Magic Out

The snow had settled in a slow drifting daze in front of Trixie’s eyes as she inspected halfheartedly outside the kingdom's borders for any activities. She sighed. The storm had cleared up and left a low lying bog. It was like they were in a eerie floating castle in the beautifully quiet night sky.

Trixie turned around only to grimace at the display taking place in the lounge room. She wondered idly why she had came back with them and not opted to travel to the train station by herself. She remembered the long trek to the castle had worn her out considerably.

To one side of the room Pitch and Sabre were nervously standing behind a couch. To the other side Sombra sat in a chair. Sitting close to him Twilight twisted water out of a cloth and into a pan. A small fire crackled behind her. Sombra’s mouth was open as his tongue inched towards his foreleg.

Twilight eyes meet him strangely. “Sombra, that’s not how you clean a wound,” Twilight said giving a stern look. She directed the wash cloth to his would.

Sombra pulled his leg away above his head and as far away from the cloth as possible. His tongue slid back into his mouth, snorting softly. Twilight followed after his leg and with a few swift moves manage to corner Sombra’s leg onto the chair’s arm. She pressed the hot cloth to his wound.

He roared unexpectedly with Twilight’s mane flying back from the force. Pitch and Sabre dived under the couch. Trixie’s ears turned back as they stung from the ringing.

“Ah! That hurts!” Sombra yelled.

“Oh really, what a pony.” Trixie said rolling her eyes.

Sombra grunted while Twilight regarded Trixie with an abolishing expression which would feel in place on a parent disciplining their child.

Trixie coughed weakly. “Heh, sorry,” she muttered. Deeming if she was to continue to survive then moving behind the couch with Pitch and Sabre would be the safest place to be. They shared her sentiment.

“It wouldn’t hurt so badly if you didn’t move so much.” Twilight said to Sombra.

“Well I wouldn’t have got hurt if you hadn’t meddled in my affairs and broken the Crystal Heart.” Sombra said back pushing his muzzle inches in front of hers.

Twilight fell silent and her face knitted together in quiet contemplation. She didn’t flinch as his red eyes remained unmoving and bore into hers.

“And I wouldn’t have had to resort to that if you let ponies help you.” Twilight said firmly, crossing her forehooves.

They didn’t shout but the tension in the room made Trixie, Pitch and Sabre a shuddering huddle under the couch, wondering at what point their ears would stop ringing and when everyone would just start to get along.

Sombra raised a hoof to object. His jaw opened but no rebuttal came from it.

“Now, try to stay still. This may hurt a little,” Twilight said firmly.

She dabbed the wound softly before applying the whole cloth over it. Sombra’s face retorted from the boiling sensation that exploded in his leg all the way up to his shoulder.

“There.” Twilight said as she continued to knead the cloth slowly back and forth.

Sombra didn’t reply and looked away. He snorted louder this time focusing on the wall made of crystal. He didn’t feel like looking at anypony at this time.

Twilight soaked the cloth in the boiled water, squeezing out the excess and returned to cleaning his wound. Three jagged lines hid under his long fur on his lower leg.

“I forgot to mention - thank you for saving my life.” Twilight said softy.

Sombra fortunately held back a grumbled response. He didn’t want to make any sounds to any ponies at this time. Twilight looked from her work to the one the side of his face. His eye flicked back quickly to the wall. She sat the wet cloth to one side and picked up another to tie around his wound.

“You’re welcome.” Sombra said clearly.

Three sighs of relief came from the couch and they relaxed.

Despite her reservations Twilight felt like asking. “What happened back there?” she asked softly while paying attention to the large wound. Sombra looked passed Twilight who tilted her head into his line of sight. He wasn’t looking menacing.

“Can you feel any latent magic around you?” He asked.

“Now that I think about it, no I can’t.” Twilight said after of moment of consideration, realization followed quickly afterwards. “What! Where in Equestria are we?”

Twilight had forgone using her magic since exhausting herself during the encounter with the wolves. Three pairs of ears perked and they crept out from underneath the couch to a more comfortable, and social norm, positions on top of it. Twilight tried to ignite her horn but nothing came to.

“No. We’re no longer in Equestria. We’re in the heart dimension. Where there is no magic.” Sombra said watching Twilight’s futile efforts. She tapped her horn to ensure it was still there.

“We’re inside the Crystal Heart?” Trixie gawked. She turned to Pitch and Sabre as if for confirmation. Though they looked equally awestruck.

“The same thing happened to the crystal ponies after the sisters defeated me. Though this is the first time I’ve been here.” Sombra explained.

Twilight looked to the two crystal ponies on the couch wordlessly.

“So, how do we get out?” Twilight asked Sombra.

“The Crystal Heart would have to be restored,” he said.

“W-what...wouldn’t that mean then…” Trixie stuttered shooting chance gazes at Pitch and Sabre. They didn’t notice as they paid attention to Sombra.

“It took a thousand years for a doldrum kingdom of docile, apathetic ponies to restore the heart. With five ponies with varying emotions,” Sombra looked to be thinking. “It’ll take much longer.”

The following enduring silence was thick enough it could be cut with a knife. The only noise was the crackle, snap, and pop from the fireplace.

“Though it’s probably better to stay here for now. The fallout that’s Equestria is going through won't be a pleasant one.” Sombra said absentmindedly turning to lean his head on his good hoof.

This perked everyone’s attention. “What do you mean?” Twilight frowned.

Instead of answering Sombra took the necklace off that was hidden underneath his shaggy coat and held it out towards Twilight. The crystals around his necklace were clear and transparent.

“They’re empty. The destruction of the heart and the release of its energy broke the containers.” Sombra said.

“Then the magic inside them...is gone?” Pitch said.

“If ever I was to lose control - the chaotic magic would take over. While I was still consciously able to do so I channelled the energy of the crystals towards the weather. The Frozen North weather has always been somewhat unpredictable. I’d hope that the chaotic energy would seize the chance to make it even more uncertain. Equestria is probable experience an ice age at this time.” Sombra said.

Twilight’s head cocked to the side slightly.

“You knowingly did that?” She asked.

Sombra grunted. “With that much chaotic energy inside of me, it would control me, and nothing would stop it from using me to control the Crystal Heart to strengthen its power. To which end would mean the ruin and torment of Equestria. At least this way, unleashed and unable to use the heart ponies have a chance to defend themselves against it.”

The fire gentle crackled in the hearth. Sabre noticed that one crystal was different from the rest; a faint bluish tint to it.

“What’s with that one?” Sabre asked.

Sombra rolled his shoulders. “A little hope, joy and...” he said shifting in the chair looking at the crystal tentatively. “...Love is in this one. With this I planned to kickstart the heart after filtrating the chaos. Though now, restoring the heart on this level, here,” he barely looked around the room. “It's barely anything on the scale that’s required to make much of a difference.” Sombra said voice low.

“No,” he breathed. “In order to restore the Crystal Heart now it’s going to need a lot more hope, joy and love than what is in this crystal.” He said gloomily.

Twilight saw Trixie in a different state of mind from the two stallions sitting next to her. Trixie’s jaw loosened her cheeks tinted red. Twilight observed Sombra as he relaxed in the chair. He sat there in front of her, looking to one side away from the other three. With an almost carefree smile his body slouched in the chair. He was either in deep contemplation or just blank, Twilight considered. Sombra slowly tilted his hoof and the necklace fell and hit the floor.

“It’s useless now,” he said, slumping in the chair and further rested his chin in the fur of his chest.

Twilight didn’t like his showy disinterest in the matter. Pitch and Sabre looked at him with concern. Trixie wondered how she had got dragged into this mess.

Twilight bent forward and picked the necklace up off of the floor. It was like it had been pre-offered to her the way Sombra had dumped it in between them. The crystals tapped against one another in Twilight’s grasp. There was a moment of peace in Twilight’s analytical mind, breathing in and out, and she smiled.

“Well there’s only one thing for it.” Twilight announced. “We’re going to restore the Crystal Heart - together!” She said, all eyes turned to her.

“Excuse me, if I don’t leap for joy,” Sombra said, his breathe pushing his hairy chest fur out of the way of his mouth.

“You implied it yourself. I’m not going to sit around and wait for this to all blow over by itself.” Twilight said pushing herself up as she stretched her cramped back legs. She considered the necklace in one hoof and pulled it over her head and passed her smaller muzzle. Sombra watched her go.

“It’s been a day. I’m going to rest.” Twilight sighed aiming for the door out of the room.

Trixie took that as a chance to leave the room and followed Twilight. At the door Twilight turned around.

“Pitch, Sabre, try to keep Sombra from being a grump.” Twilight said before leaving.

Sombra snorted and his fur annoyingly tickled his nose enough that he straightened up back on the chair and he rested his head on his hoof again.

“You majesty…” Pitch wondered quietly, worried.

“We should give him a moment.” Sabre said, patting Pitch’s shoulder reassuringly.

Sabre waited easily relaxing on the couch while Pitch contemplated the situation they were now in. The tails of fire in the hearth swayed back and forth unawares. After what he felt was long enough Pitch hopped off the couch and Sabre followed. Sombra growled softly. Pitch and Sabre stood in front of his chair and blocked his view of the dancing fire.

“Excuse us, your majesty, may we bend your ear for a moment?” Pitch asked. “Have you thought that both of you getting closer together could help heal the heart?”

“Of course I have.” Sombra growled slowly and unmoving. His shoulders shook with quick flinch and he slammed the chair arm with a hoof aggravatedly which made Pitch and Sabre also flinch.

Sombra smarted and looked sullened and he went quiet. “Forgive me.”

The cousin’s tensions eased.

Sombra was lost in thought. “What a fascinating mare...if a bit funny.” He said softly.

“Ah, so you’ve noticed.” Pitch’s face brightened and raised his eyebrows, grinning cheekily. Sombra brow flinched forgetting how close the ponies were.

“You fall in love with her and she with you, the heart is made whole again and we’ll be free in no time.” Pitch said.

Sombra glared at him abolishing at his what he said his eyes though Pitch didn’t notice.

Sabre guessed at what had not been said. “It’s not that easy. These things take time.” Sabre said tapping his shoulder for his attention. Pitch sagged.

“Do you think there’s a chance…” he caught a glimpse of his shadow across the wall in the flickering fireplace. Sombra grunted. “And look at me.” He launched out of the chair and touched his curved red horn and laughed. “A mare like that could never learn to care for me.”

Sabre quietly approached and squeezed Sombra’s shoulder reassuringly. “You are more than what you seem Sombra.” Sabre said. “We know so,” nodding his head back towards Pitch. “...and we haven’t known you for all that long really.”

“I don’t know.” Sombra averted his eyes. “How would I even in approach her?”

Sabre, with a glint in his eye, turned to Pitch who then slapped his hooves together officiously.

“Well…” Pitch tapped his hooves contemplatively then approached on Sombra’s other side. “Straightened up for one. Slouching is neither healthy nor visually attractive. Be a gentlecolt - smile and be presentable. Don’t forget a smile is both welcoming and attractive. A smile shows you like her company. Everyone loves a smile.”

Sombra stared glumly.

“Let's see the smile.” Sabre asked encouragingly waving a hoof around his own face that showed a simple carefree smile.

Sombra pulled his lips apart to show a month full of teeth. They grimaced. He pulled them back.

Sabre pretended to scratch his chin while talking under his voice. “Needs work,” he deadpanned.

“Yes, you don’t want to frighten the poor mare.” Pitch said out loud. Sombra grunted while Sabre shook his head.

Pitch continued unabated. “Try to impress her with your rigour wit or your more prudent strategicness.”

Sombra nodded along.

Sabre shook his head at Pitch. “Be gentle like looking after a baby ewe,” he added.

Sombra’s switched to Sabre with a brow raised thoughtfully.

“Showering her with confidence,” Pitch said.

Sombra turned back to Pitch with a look of confusion.

Sabre tapped Pitch’s shoulder. “But be genuinely sincere,” Sabre added.

Sombra growled as his ears flicked back.

“And above all. Don’t try to control everything yourself! Ask for help!” The cousins both said together.

Sombra yelled. Pitch and Sabre were left awkwardly as Sombra made to leave the room.

Before Sombra left he adjusted his skewed cape properly back across his back. “You two look famished you should see if eating food is a requirement of this world. Then rest for the night as well. It has been a day.” Sombra said glumly as he trotted out of the lounge room.

“Ah, was it something I said?” Pitch asked worriedly.

“Hmm probable,” Sabre droned.

“You’re both still here, good,” Trixie said as she came back into the room and over to them.

“Is there anywhere in this world where Trixie can eat something? She’s completely famished.” She asked. Her stomach had queued a hungry grumble and sounded loudly at that perfect moment. Trixie ahammed politely.

“Now, where is the kitchen?” She asked.

“It’s a good thing we’re heading there right now then.” Pitch said.

They took Trixie to the castle kitchen where Pitch and Sabre scampered about looking for what food items were available. Pantry and cupboards were stocked full of kitchenware.

“I think they’re starting to like one another.” Pitch said excitedly slapping a cupboard of teacups closed.

“Huh? Sparkle and that brute? They’re barely even friends.” Trixie scoffed in astonishment. She watched as they festively moved about the kitchen liked they owned the place.

“She’s right. She only dressed his wound after all.” Sabre drolled as he passed fruits out of the pantry and onto a plate.

“But she was gentle and kind and the look in his eyes…” Pitch said excitedly, dreamily looking away.

Sabre patted his shoulder to calm his excitement. “You always get way too excited about things.”

Pitch turned his head. “No I don’t.”

Trixie’s raised her brow. “What are you two up to?”

They both stopped their search and paid attention to Trixie.

“Two powerful unicorns, well, one an alicorn - together? They could heal the heart so much more than we all could alone.” Pitch said.

“Quicker would be nice. Trixie doesn’t find it appealing for her to spend all her youthful beauty here without others to admire it.” Trixie said.

“Excellent. We agree then,” Pitch’s teeth showed off.

“Trixie will help but only to leave here. She will help Sparkle but she won’t have anything to do with that thing,” She said cautiously.

Sabre nodded. “If you could it’ll speed things up. We’ll attend to Sombra,” He said.

Sabre placed a large platter of fruits on the table. Trixie salivated hungrily. She took an apple and bite into it.


Where Sombra was being drawn away to he wasn’t quite sure. Walls and walls passed him by as he watched his hooves carry him through the dimly lit castle. Sombra swayed on his hooves as he stopped in front of the Crystal Heart. Sombra lifted his head slowly looking through the heart as it slowly twirled in it’s place in the watch tower.

It was whole but it didn’t quite look like the original Crystal Heart, a hint of yellow glowed around it. Glittering light fell in spirals from the heart like sand gently falling to the floor, gathering for a moment before vanishing.

Sombra’s head jerked. His eyes felt dried so he turned his head back to his hooves to watch the beads of sand jump across the floor and past him before disappearing.

While he watched the mesmerizing flow with interest a faint pinkish mote jumped from the heart and landed on the floor. The mote danced back and forth, almost excitedly, Sombra thought, noticing it immediately.

Sombra offered the front of his hoof to the small entity and it jumped onto it. He brought his leg up and the mote continued to bounce up and down. Sombra just stared not even bothering wondering if it was going to do anything else. It’s energetic movement was enough entertainment to keep him from clearly making any of his own thoughts.

“Is this on?” A wispy voice said.

“Ah...it’s you?” Sombra said dully concluding it could be only one pony.

“Ah, is that you Sombra?” Cadance asked desperately.

“Yes.”

“It sounds as though you are taking this fairly hard,” the mote said. The small pinkish creature turned into a smooth gelatin like pony with no defining features.

“Kingdom in ruin. Heart destroyed. Equestria is now iced over I imagine. Sure, I’m taking it well,” Sombra said. The pony mote, sans wings and horn, was quiet for a moment.

“I’m really sorry. I messed up…” The pony’s head wilted.

“Maybe we all did.” Sombra said.

“Yeah…” Cadance said softly.

“How is the heart?” Sombra asked.

“Broken - it’s not great...but it could be a lot worse too. I’m not sure what I can do this side of things. I came back to watch over the shards of the heart while it recovered from the damage.” Cadance said, not missing a beat.

“How is that exactly?” Sombra asked after a hard moment had passed. Though he was curious what had transpired after the Crystal Heart transported him inside of it he wasn’t sure if he wanted to know the truth.

“The storm of chaos made it all the way to Canterlot before being stopped by the princesses.” The little pony made of light flickered and the voice garbled.

Sombra’s face screwed up tighter than the cork of a wine bottle. Angry vitality warmed his blood as he held back a bigger growl. His face softened when saw the flow of sand ripple across the floor and that cooled his mind moderately.

Sombra growled low. “The abomination? What is that doing?”

“I’m not so sure. I think Discord is considering helping out.” Cadance said.

Sombra snorted derisively.

“I’m guessing that Twilight and the others are with you?” Cadance asked

“Yes, they are here.”

“I wanted to talk more to you Sombra,” Cadance said urgently. “Heart to heart. I can only project myself like this for a short while though.” She said softly. “The Crystal Heart can not be fixed this side; it’s not responding to any of my attempts. It needs to be done where you are now.”

Sombra was aware of this. Sombra wilted under the heart’s glow, focusing on his breathing and the specks of light that bounced along the floor.

“Both yourself and Twilight are powerful magic users. The magic that lies deep within you, combined, I believe could restore the heart more sooner. All you need to do is work together and believe in the light and love within you. Only when you truly care can it the Crystal heart be restored. You need to care for others for more than just a means to an end.”

Sombra contemplated his past, looking at the faux Crystal Heart in front of him. The suffering he had caused others was all meant to protect the heart. He had partitioned some part of himself off, long ago, from caring about the hurt that others went through for his scheme. Now however, with chaotic rampant, there were limited options left. Some of the sandy light meet his hooves but he didn’t feel anything there.

“Who could ever care for a beast?” Sombra said gloomily. He had never considered what others thought of him until he reflected on his past doings.

“They can be your friends, if you want them to be. No pony is without love or care in this world. You don’t have to be a super pony and handle this all by yourself. I’m positive they can prove that to you.” Cadance said confidently.

Sombra felt like lying down, his chest heavy with concern. The pink pony mote faded away. Sombra was left with his thoughts for the remainder of the night. The longest night he ever experienced.