• Published 14th Jun 2014
  • 1,214 Views, 19 Comments

Equestria Wars Episode VI: The Return of the Nightmare - sonicdash123



With the defeat of Malgus and his empire, Charming Thunder along with Starswirl the Bearded brought back the Crystal Knights. Now the essence of Nightmare Moon returns and posseses Charming Thunder and plots her revenge.

  • ...
30
 19
 1,214

Chapter 5: The Nightmare

That night, the guards stood watch at Ponyville as Princess Luna visited to see how the preparations for Nightmare Night were coming along. The guards then noticed a hooded figure heading their way. The figure had three sharp claws for his right hoof as he walked. The guard recognized the coat coloring on his other hoof as he said, "Charming Thunder?" The figure then levitated the guard and threw him sideways over the houses. The other guard got nervous and started to run away from him as the hooded figure walked along.

Luna observed as the citizens of Ponyville set up decorations alongside Star Swirl and Trixie. "This year might turn out better this time," Luna said to herself. "Without ponies thinking that I'm going to eat them." She then noticed a guard running towards her. "What's wrong?"

The guard took a few breaths and then started to explain, "Its your nephew. He's---ack." The guard was being chocked as he levitated in the air. He was then thrown backwards towards the figure and got stabbed by the beam of the lightsaber. The lightsaber deactivated as the citizens turned to notice what was going on and the stabbed guard fell to the ground. The crowd screamed for their lives as they rushed to their homes. Star Swirl and Trixie just stood as the figure walked towards Luna and stopped to turn to them and back at Luna. Some armored troopers arrived at the scene and pointed their blasters at him. The ground suddenly turned black as some figures rose from the ground. The figures looked similar to the soldiers but their armor is black. They then pointed their weapons at the white armored soldiers and blasted them.

"What the hey is goin' on here?" Applejack shouted as she and the rest of her friends arrived at the scene. They were shocked as they came face to face to the figure that has started to cause trouble. "And who in the hey are you?"

"Probably somepony who is looking for trouble," Rainbow Dash said as she flew fast towards the figure.

"No wait," Fluttershy said. But it was too late Rainbow Dash got grabbed by the throat by the clawed arm and got thrown back to the group.

"How did--?" The figure then used his clawed arm to lower his hood and revealed himself. Everyone gasped as they all recognized his face.

"Charming?" Twilight asked. Charming Thunder then turned to face Twilight and grinned.

"Charming?" the figure said. "My name is Nightmare. It is good to see you again, Luna."

"I see that you found a new host, Nightmare Moon," Luna said.

"You are correct. I must say, your nephew was a powerful host."

"What are you going to do now?" Fluttershy asked. "If you don't mind asking."

"For now, I am going to form an army of shadow troopers and have my revenge."

"That won't happen," Celestia's voice said from behind.

"Ah. Princess Celestia I presume. And how is the sun treating you?"

"Save your flattery. Release my nephew and I promise a painless death."

Charming Thunder laughed at the statement and said, "Don't you remember? Your nephew can't die." He then slowly began to turn into red mist as he continued. "Don't even bother trying to save him. He is mine." He then flew back to the Everfree forest and the shadow troopers vanished along with it.

"I'll try to stop him," Star Swirl said.

"But what about my training?" Trixie asked.

"It'll have to wait." Star Swirl then ran into the forest to chase after Charming Thunder and confront him.

---------------------

Charming Thunder walked through the forest and stopped to hear hoof steps heading his way. He smiled and hid behind a tree trunk to wait for the follower. Star Swirl stopped in the middle of the forest and heard evil laughter as he looked around for Charming Thunder. Charming Thunder stood in front of the tree in the darkness holding his lightsaber as Star Swirl activated his yellow blade. Charming Thunder laughed as he slowly walked up to him and activated his crimson blade. "I've been waiting for you, Star Swirl. We meet again at last. The circle is now complete. It is foolish to face me alone. Now I am the master."

"Only the master of evil, Nightmare," Star Swirl said. The two warriors stood perfectly still. Sweat formed on Star Swirl's brow. He made a sudden lunge at Charming Thunder but he stepped aside, swinging his blade. Star Swirl brought up his own weapon, blocking the strike. They circled each other, swinging and blocking with their weapons as they danced about the hallway. They stopped, motionless as their swords connected in the air, creating a cackling buzz.

"Your powers are weak."

"You can't win, Nightmare. If you strike me down I shall become than you can possibly imagine.” The two blades pulled apart as the warriors continued their battle. Charming Thunder attempted to cut his head but chopped down a tree instead.

"You should not have come back, old stallion." Charming Thunder pressed his lightsaber to Star Swirls as the battle raged on.

Celestia, Luna, Trixie, and the Mane 6 walked through the forest until they heard clashing sounds. "We must be getting close," Celestia said.

"You seven stay here," Luna said. "We'll go check on Starswirl." Luna and Celestia continued to walk through the forest as the others stayed behind.

Starswirl and Charming Thunder continued their duel. Lightning flashed as the lightsabers crashed together. Celestia and Luna arrived to watch the duel. As the duel continued, Star Swirl realized that the princesses are watching. Charming Thunder took the advantage of his momentary distraction and swung his blade hard. Star Swirl was barely able to deflect the blow. He turned to the princesses and back to his opponent with a serene look on his face. Charming Thunder brought down his sword and pierced the stallion's flesh. Charming Thunder lowered his blade triumphantly with a grin on his face. Tears began to fall on Celestia's face as she watched the old stallion fall.

"NO!!!" Celestia shouted in disbelief. Shadow troopers popped out of the ground and began to fire at the princesses. Transfixed by anger, Celestia fired magic at the troopers as Charming Thunder grabbed Star Swirl's lightsaber. He then turned to the princesses and turned into red mist and flew away from the action. "Come back here you coward." She then tried to shoot at the red mist but Luna stopped her.

"Its too late," Luna said as she pulled her sister away. Celestia then stared blankly at the sky then to the ground as she sheds tears as Twilight and the rest of her friends arrived.