• Published 4th Apr 2012
  • 3,737 Views, 70 Comments

After Alice: The Hatter In Equestria - Barrel-of-fun



The Jabberwock and the Red Queen are defeated, now the Hatter must find a new purpose in a new land

  • ...
4
 70
 3,737

Chapter 1

The Hatter watched as Alice drank the blood of the Jabberwock and faded away to return to her own world. His mind, usually so clouded by the madness, had seemed so clear whilst she was around. Her presence gave him a purpose…now what would he do? Harmony had been restored, the White Queen sat upon the throne once more and her sister the cruel Red Queen had been exiled from Underland.

He frowned at the thought of the name. Underland just didn’t sound right. It didn’t taste right either. Now he came to think of it, it barely even smelt right! Now what had Alice always called it? Ahh yes, Wonderland. He smiled at that. Alice, that wonderful, foolish girl. She’d managed to get that right accidentally.

He was startled from his wandering thoughts by the voice of the White Queen who, after restoring order on the chessboard battlefield, had turned to address him.

“Now that harmony has been restored and I sit upon my rightful throne, I believe it is time we once again established relations with our neighbours” was it just him or did her royal majesty over-pronounce the ‘Neigh’ in neighbours? “Hatter, you have served with the greatest dedication throughout these times or turmoil, I officially extend to you the title of Underland Ambassador. This position, if you choose to accept it, would involve you travelling to fabulous new places and meeting new and wonderful beings” she smiled warmly at him “so, do you accept?”

The Hatter couldn’t believe what she was saying. He had fought and suffered for so long to bring her back to the throne and see the natural order restored. He had begun this adventure sure that he just wanted to return to his old position as royal hatter. However now he wasn’t sure. Could he honestly return to such a predictable life after so much excitement? His face was stuck in a frown as he considered the offer and all it’s possibilities.

Suddenly, he broke from his musings with a wide smile, he swept his hat from atop his head and bowed low before his queen.

“My queen, as graceful as a featherless duck in free fall, I gracefully accept” he proclaimed as he went from his bow to a kneel.

“Then I do declare you to be my royal ambassador to places most foreign” she swept up the Vorpal Sword from where it had been left on the floor and wiped the blood of the Jabberwock off of it’s blade with a dainty white handkerchief, returning the blade to it’s pristine glory. The blade alighted gently on either side of the Hatter’s de-hatted head.

“Now then, let us prepare for your departure. I have some parting gifts for you and I believe I have a letter to send to a very old friend” she smiled again and, taking the Hatter by the arm and raising him to his feet, she led him off the battlefield.

-Soon, in Equestria-

Celestia was resting beside the roaring fire of her personal study in Canterlot Castle after a long day of attending to her royal duties. She yawned and was about to accept the comfort of sleep when a flower suddenly began to sprout from between the stones of the floor. The flower was a startlingly white rose which blossomed as quickly as it had grown. However instead of a the usual petals that a flower would release this one blossomed to let free a scroll. The scroll, like the flower was a pearly white and was emblazoned with a crest that Celestia hadn’t seen in a long time, and had thought never to see again.


Levitating the scroll towards eye level with a glow of her horn and unrolling it, her eyes flew over the words written there. Once she was finished reading a smile adorned her royal muzzle. She swiftly brought more parchment towards her and began to compose two letters simultaneously with her magic.

“Oh things are about to get…wondrous” she whispered to herself.

-In Ponyville-

Twilight Sparkle, unicorn extraordinaire, Element of Magic and personal protégé of Princess Celestia herself was fast asleep in a manner ill befitting one who held so many titles. Head slumped into a book on advanced magic with a line of drool slowly ruining the pages of the priceless book, she was woefully ill prepared when her draconic assistant Spike, who was sleep in his basket nearby, burped out a line of green fire that passed inches away from her head. Her eyes shot open instantly at the sound of the magical inferno that formed into a scroll, which promptly fell on her head before bouncing off and onto the floor. Looking around to make sure nopony had seen that embarrassing moment she levitated the scroll and crept out of the room. Once she believed herself safely out of hearing range of her young assistant she opened the scroll and excitedly read her mentors written words.

To my most faithful student, Twilight Sparkle,

Firstly let me say that I am very proud of your progress thus far with your studies into the magic of friendship. The reason I have written to you so late at night, for which I apologize, is that I have recently received news that Equestria shall soon be receiving an ambassador from an entirely different world.

I trust that you are familiar with Strangehorn the Mad’s theory of dimensional connectivity? If not then it is quite simple, Strangehorn theorized that there may be other dimensions and, if these dimensions exist, then they would be quite similar to our own. He theorized that there was dimensions extending outwards from the source of all magic, which he dubbed the Core. He stated that our world was close to the core, which is why it is so heavily saturated with magical energy, and that other worlds further away might have less magic or perhaps even non at all.

What was not publicly released was that Strangehorn managed to make contact with one of these worlds and even cross into it. This world, which he called Wonderland, was similar to ours but slightly more chaotic. Many years ago we lost contact with this world, they ceased responding to any communications and the portal to their world was sealed from their side. However, on this night, I received a communication that their troubles are now over and they are able to begin relations with Equestria again.

Their ambassador should be arriving tomorrow. I wish for you and the other Elements of Harmony to meet them by the edge of the Everfree forest as the portal is located inside that dark wood. Do not fret about their safety, I trust that they are quite capable of handling themselves. I am afraid I cannot tell you what the ambassador will look like as I am not sure myself. Wonderland, as the name suggests, is home to many unusual yet wondrous creatures, many of which are capable of sentient thought, so I cannot even begin to guess which of these many species will be meeting you.

Remember that you represent both myself and all of Equestria in this matter,
Your mentor, Princess Celestia


Twilight could barely believe what she was reading. She read the princess’ letter several more times to be sure. Then, with a look of insatiable curiosity in her eyes, she galloped around the library to find any books on Strangehorn the Mad’s theories.