• Published 23rd May 2014
  • 2,309 Views, 31 Comments

Mother Moon, Daughter Snow - keaton-furman-prower



Orphaned as an infant, Snowdrop is adopted by Princess Luna. However, being a member of the royal family comes with great challenges- some of which could spell doom for the entire kingdom.

  • ...
5
 31
 2,309

Cold Hearted

Luna walked through the library’s vast archives. Rows upon rows of shelves stretched out before her, each one carrying thousands of ancient books full of unimaginable knowledge. Few ponies even knew of the existence of these dusty old tomes, but those who did dreamed of one day reading every single one of the precious books.

And yet there was only one book she was searching for.

So many books, holding such great information, and yet the one book that she hoped could answer her daughter’s prayers eluded her. She knew that, if she could find it, there was so much she could learn.

Perhaps even grant Snowdrop’s greatest wish.

No amount of determination could help her, however, if she could not find the book. And as Luna searched through the multitude of similar-looking books, all with dusty, ancient spines with faded titles, she began to wonder if it even existed. Even as the rational part of her mind told her that it definitely was here, and she just had to search harder, her thoughts turned back towards the many days she had already spent seeking her prize. As she did, she shuddered at the thought of wasting her days searching in vain, losing valuable time she could have spent with Snowdrop.

It was then that she saw it. One of the books, thought initially as inconspicuous as any other, had a particularly bright title etched onto its spine. Luna read it, grinning excitedly as she realized what it was.

“I found it!”

Excited, Luna reached out for it with her magic.

“Please tell me you can help me, father.”


“Welcome back, your highness.”

Snowdrop nodded in response, indifferent to the gesture of the guard. She simply walked towards her room, too irritated to speak to anypony. When she arrived, she slammed the door behind her.

“Stupid foals!” she yelled out. She then threw herself onto her bed and began to punch at it in frustration.

“They never want to be my friends! They never even care about my mommy! All they care about is Celestia!”

Snowdrop continued to take her frustrations out on her bed for several minutes. As she calmed down, she reached out for her nightstand and pulled a soft rounded object towards herself.

“Hello, Bonko,” she said as she held her plush clown in her hooves. “You don't really care that much about auntie Celestia, right?”

The plush made no response.

I guess nopony likes my mommy because they don’t like the night, she thought to herself. It’s cold, and dark, just like winter. They only like it when it’s light and warm.

What is light, though? Mommy says that when it’s light you can see everything. But I can’t see, so does that mean I live in darkness? Is that why I prefer the night and winter rather than the day and the summer? If I could see, would I prefer the day too?

And if I did…

“Snowdrop? Are you there?”

The young pegasus was pulled out of her thoughts by a stern voice outside her room. Even so, she did not move.

“Go away, Aunt Celestia!”

She heard the door open, then hoofsteps approaching her.

“You are a princess, Snowdrop,” said Celestia, her voice full of disapproval. “It is unbecoming of you to sulk in your room like this.”

Snowdrop gritted her teeth.

“Maybe I wouldn’t be sulking if other ponies didn’t want to talk to me just to get your attention!” Snowdrop said angrily. “All you have to do is raise your stupid sun and everypony loves you! Mother raises the moon, fills the sky with stars, and protects everypony’s dreams, and nopony ever says anything about how hard she works!”

“DO YOU BLAME ME FOR YOUR OWN FAILURES?!!”

Snowdrop flinched at Celestia’s Royal Voice.

“Perhaps you have forgotten that I am in charge of all diplomatic affairs in our country, Snowdrop. I meet with all dignitaries, nobles, and other important ponies who come to us, and I write the various treaties and decrees that keep our nation afloat. I deal with all our paperwork, and whenever there is an important event, I represent the entire Equestrian royal family. Do you honestly think that ponies appreciate me simply because I raise the sun?”

Snowdrop did not say anything. She simply growled at Celestia.

“Come. It is nearly time for dinner, and you must look presentable.”

Why? It’s not even one of those fancy parties where everypony gets to fawn over you, Snowdrop thought angrily. However, she did not say anything, and simply climbed off the bed to follow Celestia.


After dinner, the two alicorns walked down the hallway together. As they did, Celestia noticed that Luna seemed to be glaring at her.

“Is something wrong, sister?”

“I believe I should be the one asking, sister,” said Luna.

Celestia rolled her eyes.

“Snowdrop appears to have had problems at school,” she said. “And she saw it fit to blame them on me.”

“Oh my,” said Luna, her voice heavy with sarcasm. “Why could that be?”

“She was upset that everypony appreciates my days and shuns your nights.”

“And is it wrong for her to wish they loved me as much as they love you?”

“No,” said Celestia. “But you have done little to actually deserve their love.”

Luna felt her heart fill with rage.

“I bring forth the moon, giving Equestria the gift of the night! I have painted tapestries of stars across the skies in order for ponies to bask in their beauty! And I journey into the dreams of ponies to ensure their safety!”

“And what value is there in any of these achievements?” asked Celestia. “In the day, ponies produce food, fuel, buildings, and everything that makes life in Equestria possible. Your skies may be beautiful, but there is no use or value to something that merely looks pretty. And what use is there to protecting a pony’s dreams if you cannot protect them in their waking hours?”

For a moment, Luna tried to respond, but she was unable to find anything to say.

“You waste your time making your night beautiful for our little ponies,” said Celestia. “And the only pony who even bothers to acknowledge it is incapable of seeing its beauty.”

Luna glared at her sister, and then walked off towards her balcony.


As Luna lifted the moon into the sky, the anger she felt towards Celestia lingered. Why should she bother doing her job if nopony ever appreciated it? Everypony loved Celestia’s bright days, so wouldn’t they be happier if there was no night? Wouldn’t it be better for everypony if the sun stayed in the sky forever?

The more rational part of her mind told her that this was a flawed assumption, however. If the sun stayed in the sky constantly, the entire world would suffer for it. The land would become much too hot for anypony to live, evaporating water sources and wilting plants. And even without such disastrous scenarios, the ponies of Equestria needed time to rest in order to properly function.

But why did they always have to sleep during the night? Would it be too much to ask for just a few of them to be nocturnal?

“Mommy? Are you all right?”

Luna quickly pushed her thoughts and feelings aside and turned towards Snowdrop.

“Of course I am,” she said, keeping her voice as calm as possible. “Why would I not be?”

“I heard you arguing with Aunt Celestia earlier. Did you two have another fight?”

Luna bit her lip. She did not want to impose her own problems onto Snowdrop.

“It wasn’t anything you have to worry about, my little snow princess. Merely a disagreement.”

“You have a lot of those, don’t you mommy?”

Luna sighed sadly. It was true that there were many things she and Celestia disagreed about. However, the last thing she wanted was for them to affect Snowdrop.

“Do not worry, Snowdrop. Everything is just fine.”

“Well, if you say so,” said Snowdrop, an uncertain expression on her face.

“Come now,” said Luna. “The stars are awaiting your visit.”

A small smile crept up onto Snowdrop’s face as she walked into her mother’s embrace. Luna then lifted her onto her back and flew off into the sky.