• Published 7th May 2014
  • 1,701 Views, 39 Comments

Shard: The Dark King Returns - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



A major holiday is threatened by an ancient evil returning to Equestria, and it is up to six mares to try and stop it.

  • ...
2
 39
 1,701

Planning for the Quest

"So you are certain that this is what you want to do?" Princess Temporal asked, looking around the table at the six mares. They all nodded.

"Very well. Fluttershy is hereby officially assigned to Ponyville where she shall continue to teach and take care of Luna."

"Wait!" Luna called out. "I'm staying too? Don't you love me anymore?"

The princess reached out with one of her wings and took a hold of the filly, pulling her in for a hug.

"Of course I love you," she said, giving Luna a kiss on the cheek. "I'm not having you stay here out of spite. I'm having you stay because Fluttershy needs you as much as you need her. Besides, it would be a good idea for you to spend some time out of the castle and to make friends with some ponies your own age."

"Okay." Luna gave a tight hug.

"Continuing," the princess stated, "the six of you shall also continue to seek out The Elements of Harmony in hopes of once again stopping King Sombra from trying to take over Equestria.

"As such, I will be expecting reports both on any progress in the search and on any lessons that either of them learn in regards to friendship. On an aside, while I will not make it a decree, I would appreciate it if any of you were willing to do the same.

"Now the quest for The Elements will be considered official royal business. As such, I will see to it that you all receive some recompense and benefits for your time and effort."

She took a step away from the table.

"So I should really get back to Canterlot and begin to file all the proper paperwork. Applejack, thank your grandmother for the pie. It was as wonderful as always. Luna, keep being a good girl for Fluttershy." Princess Temporal leaned down and gave the filly one last nuzzle before heading out the door.

Fluttershy let out a gasp and flapped her wings. She shot up from the table and chased outside after the princess.

"Wait!"

The princess stopped and turned around, watching as Fluttershy landed and looked up at her.

"You knew, didn't you?" Fluttershy stated. "You know that King Sombra was coming back and The Elements would be needed to stop him. You knew the six of us would get together and go seek them."

"I knew he was returning," the princess admitted. "I knew The Elements were needed to stop him. While I strongly hoped and suspected you would meet the other six, I did not actually know that for certain. I also had never expected that The Elements would disperse after one of them was activated."

"So why didn't you go and get them yourself?"

"They aren't mine anymore." Princess Temporal moved over to Fluttershy and put a hoof around the smaller pony. "My time being able to use The Elements came to an end long ago. Now it is time for them to choose some other pony to use their power."

"I guess I understand that," Fluttershy said. "So, why didn't you just tell us to go find them?"

"Fluttershy, in all the stories you have ever heard, can you think of one where the hero went out and saved the day just because they had been ordered to?"

Fluttershy sat down and thought. She rubbed at her chin as her mind worked through the stories she had read or been told when she was a filly. She tried to focus only on the stories that had heroes and an epic quest.

"No," she finally said. "I'm sure they exist though."

"They more than likely do," the princess agreed. "Still, it is more common for the hero of the story to make the choice. You, your friends, whoever decides to try and save the day, must choose to do so themselves. It is the first step on the journey that you must take yourself."

"I guess." Fluttershy shifted, looking at her hooves. "But why didn't you tell me? Tell us?"

"Despite what some may think, even I have limits. There are things I don't know, and things I do that I can't or won't share. Some because you have to figure it out on your own, some because I don't know if you're ready, and some... " her gaze drifted as tears formed at the corner of her eyes.

"Some I just can't."

She cleared her throat and straightened up, blinking away the tears.

"I will share what I can when I can," the princess continued. "I will answer the best I can, and tell you what you think you are ready for."

"Thank you," Fluttershy said softly.

"Anytime," the princess replied. "Now if you will excuse me, I still have a lot to do in order to get things back on track once again."

Princess Temporal leaned down to nuzzle Fluttershy, getting a giggle.

"I look forward to seeing your first report on friendship."

With a flap of her wings, she took off and flew away. Fluttershy watched her go until she was just a dot in the sky. Once the princess was out of sight and well on her way to Canterlot, the batpony turned and made her way back into the Apple family house. The others turned as she came back, looking at her. She walked up to Applejack.

"Well I hope you don't mind us staying until we can find a more permanent place."

"It's fine," Applejack said with a smile. "Stay as long as you like." She rubbed her chin. "Although, I think I might know a place. Little cottage not far from here. Should be enough for the three of ya."