• Published 7th May 2014
  • 1,692 Views, 39 Comments

Shard: The Dark King Returns - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



A major holiday is threatened by an ancient evil returning to Equestria, and it is up to six mares to try and stop it.

  • ...
2
 39
 1,692

Waking From Nightmares

"Captain?" Rainbow Dash called out as she jumped from the stage and landed in front of the prone pony. Reaching out, she placed a hoof on Captain Heartstrings's shoulder and shook it gently. She let out a groan and shook her head, her eyes returning to their normal gold color.

"Sergeant?" she groaned out, looking up. "What happened?" Pushing to sit up, she rubbed at her head.

"The..." Rainbow Dash stopped herself from saying King of Shadows. "Sombra hit you with some sort of spell."

"Is anypony hurt?"

"No, ma'am." She shifted. "But..." She looked over at Pinkie Pie. "You weren't the only one that he got."

Rarity and Twilight walked over to the prone changeling form. Twilight's horn began to glow as she reached out, her magic touching Pinkie Pie. Their was a grunt of pain as the rose colored magic flared the toxic purple before vanishing, causing the unicorn to stumble backwards.

"That hurt," Twilight groaned.

"Pinkie?" Rarity said, moving closer to Pinkie Pie.

"Ra..Rarity?" Pinkie Pie asked, her eyes shifting back to their normal color.

"Yes darling, it's me. Are you-"

The rest of her statement was cut off by Pinkie Pie. Leaping up, she wrapped her front legs around the neck of the other pony. Pinkie Pie held onto Rarity tightly, pressing her head against friends neck.

"You're not mad at me, are you?"

"Mad?" Rarity asked in confusion. "You just threw yourself in front of a spell to save me from... whatever it was. Why would I be mad?"

"I just.." Pinkie sniffed and wiped at her eyes. "I guess it was a really bad dream. I just... everypony hated me. No one wanted to be my friend. They didn't even want me around. Even the Cakes were trying to... to.. m-m-make me lea-"

"Ssshhh," Rarity cooed. "It's okay." She hugged her friend back, rubbing a hoof against her shoulder. "You're fine. Your friends are here. Nopony hates you, and nopony wants you to leave."

"Thank you," Pinkie whispered.

"Not to be callous," Heartstrings stated, "but I would appreciate it if somepony could fill me in on what happened. Especially who that was and what they did to Miss Pie and myself."

"I can answer those," Twilight said. "That was King Sombra, the legendary King of Shadows."

Heartstrings groaned and rubbed her head again.

"If I hadn't seen it myself," she grumbled.

"It's alright Captain," Rainbow Dash said. "I didn't believe it either."

"It is not alright, Sergeant!" Heartstrings snapped, practically shouting. "The princess is missing and there is an ancient evil that is plotting to enslave..."

She stopped and sighed before taking a deep breath.

"Sorry. Not your fault." She turned back to Twilight. "So what did he do to us?"

"Well if he did the same thing to you as he did to Pinkie Pie, then it was some sort of fear spell. I didn't get to look at it very well, but I think it shows a pony their own fears."

"Like having the ponies you care about hate you?" Pinkie asked as she pulled away from Rarity.

"Considering how shaken up you were, I would say so." Twilight answered.

"That would explain..." Heartstrings stopped and shook her head. "Never mind. We need to get to work trying to find Princess Temporal and see about stopping Sombra. Sergeant, start rounding up guards off-duty and meet me back at my office."

"I'm sorry, Captain," Rainbow Dash stated, "but I can't do that."

"What?"

"The representatives from Canterlot," she held out a hoof to point at Fluttershy and Twilight Sparkle, "think they have a lead on a way to stop him, but it means going into The Everfree Forest." She shifted, her cheeks turning pink.

"I... kind of... promised that if The King of Shadows actually did return, I would go with them."

"You're lucky that means protecting ponies and helping find a way to stop him," Heartstrings stated. "Very well, you are hereby ordered to assist them in their expedition into The Everfree. I expect a full report when you return."

"Yes, Captain," Rainbow Dash said with a salute.

"Applejack?" Fluttershy asked. "Could you please take Luna back to your house?"

"What?" Luna cried out, wings flaring. "But I can help. I want to go too."

"I know you do." She gave the filly a gentle pat on the head. "But it's going to be very dangerous, Luna, and it is still my duty to protect and teach you. In this case, that means making sure you're someplace safe."

Luna pouted but said nothing.

"Apple Bloom can take her," Applejack stated. "I'm comin' with you three."

"Are you sure about that?" Fluttershy asked. "I mean, you and Rainbow Dash have both said it's dangerous and your family-" she stopped when a hoof was held up against her mouth.

"My family has been here since the founding of Ponyville. I would never be able to look Granny Smith in the eye again if I let y'all put yourselves in danger to protect our homes and didn't try and help myself."

"That's so wonderful to hear," Rarity stated as she approached the others. "It seems the five of us are going on quite an adventure."

"Six."

"Are you sure about that?" Rarity asked. "I mean, considering you were affected by his spell once already."

"Ponyville..." Pinkie stopped. "No. Equestria is my home too. I have worked hard to be accepted and have friends. I'm not just going to let it go without trying to help. I'm also pretty sure that being enslaved would mean ponies would not have so much love and kindness." She straightened up. "Plus, you did say he ran away when he saw I was a changeling."

"Well that is true," Rarity admitted.

"I guess we are going to have a lot of help with us," Fluttershy said looking around.

"Yeah," Twilight agreed. "It's... it's kind of touching to see ponies coming together and willing to help each other so much."

"That's what friends do."

"Alright," Applejack stated. "Bloom, take Luna and head straight home. Tell Big Macintosh and Granny what's going on, just in case."

"Okay," the little filly said as she started walking. "Come on Luna. Maybe Granny will let us have some pie."

"If you don't come back," Luna growled at Fluttershy, "I'll never forgive you." She then turned and started to follow after Apple Bloom.

Fluttershy watched the two fillies go, and smiled slightly. Hopefully she would see them again.

"Okay," she said, turning to the others. "We have a relic to find and a princess to save. Let's get started."