• Published 7th May 2014
  • 1,692 Views, 39 Comments

Shard: The Dark King Returns - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



A major holiday is threatened by an ancient evil returning to Equestria, and it is up to six mares to try and stop it.

  • ...
2
 39
 1,692

Zap Apples and Timberwolves

The six mares continued to work their way deeper into The Everfree Forest. The hush of the woods was broken by the sound of them talking to each other. Despite the events that had happened since the group had entered, it had become difficult for the group to remain frightened of the forest. As such, they no longer felt the need to have to be on their complete guard. They were not completely comfortable with the place, however, nor were they foolish enough to ignore that there were still dangers. As such, they spoke low in order to fill silence, but allow them to hear or see anything that came after them.

"Oh my," Rarity said from the front, stopping. "Applejack, I believe that you will want to see this."

Ahead of them was a large apple tree, filled with large fruit. They did not look like normal apples, however. Instead, they were rainbow colored.

"I don't believe it," Applejack said, eyes wide. "Zap apples. And it looks like they're ripe too."

"Zap apples?" Fluttershy asked.

"It's a magic apple. Granny Smith found the seeds out here way back when Sweet Apple Acres was first built. They're some of the best apples in Equestria."

"I don't understand," Twilight said, looking at the tree. "If these apples are so wonderful how come I haven't heard of them before."

"The ones on the farm are only ripe once a year, and that's just for five days."

"So finding a tree out here with ripe fruit is a big deal?"

"Right."

"Well," Fluttershy said as she moved toward the tree, "I suppose that we should at least give them a try while we're here." With a flap of her wings, she lifted off the ground.

"Well we can't buck it," Applejack said. "Even if I was ab-"

Fluttershy's tongue shot out and wrapped around one of the apples. It pulled off from the branch and into her mouth. As soon as it reached her, she bit down. The mare let out a small noise of pleasure.

"These are delicious!"

The other ponies all stared at Fluttershy, eyes wide and mouths hanging open.

"Wow," Rainbow Dash said slowly. "I had no idea you could do that."

Fluttershy let out a squeak as she realized everypony was watching her. She landed on the ground, holding the apple in her front hooves and blushing.

"Forget about that," Pinkie said as she dropped her disguise. "Let's get some of those apples." With a buzz of her insect wings, she flew up toward the tree and began to pull apples from the branches.

As the apples were dropped, the other ponies moved to catch them. Fluttershy stuck her apple back in her mouth to hold it as she and Rainbow Dash went up to help collect the apples.

"We should take some back with us," Pinkie Pie suggested. "I would love to try some new recipes with them" She let out a gasp. "And maybe if Applejack plants these seeds, they'll have a crop twice a year instead of just once." She and Twilight both started to put some in their saddle bags. Pinkie to try cooking with them later, and Twilight so she could study them at a later time.

The moment was interrupted by a deep growl, causing the six to stop. Glowing green eyes stared at them. A foul smell filled the air. The large wolf-like creatures that looked to be made of wood started to move forward. They growled and snarled as they moved toward the ponies.

Applejack moved to step between the wolves and the others. She looked toward the right of the approaching predators.

"Listen carefully," she said, her voice just above a whisper. "Don't make any sudden moves and don't look them in the eye. Just drop any of the apples you can't carry. The slowly, and quietly, back away."

"Bu-" Rainbow Dash's mouth was closed by magic before she could finish.

"She knows what she's doing," Rarity whispered. "Come on. Do as she says."

The other five did so, slowly moving away from the tree and the wooden wolves that were standing in front of them.

"It's alright," Applejack continued in a soft, soothing voice. "We don't mean you no harm. Don't worry. We'll just go."

The creatures continued to growl, watching her, but did not move. From behind them, several smaller heads poked out. Applejack's eyes went wide with understanding.

"Okay," she continued. "Okay. We'll just get out of your territory. Nothing to get worked up about."

She caught up with the others as they continued to move back, watching the wooden creatures as they did. The six of them stopped as they managed to slip into the bushes and out of sight of the creatures. The ponies watched as the wolves moved toward the zap apple tree, the cubs picking up and eating the ones that had dropped to the ground.

"What are those?" Fluttershy asked.

"Timberwolves," Rainbow Dash answered. She turned to Applejack. "I don't get it though. I've seen you take them on before. Why didn't you just buck them or something."

"First of all," Applejack replied, "I can't, remember? Holding up the falling trees busted my legs. I don't want to try and end up breaking them completely."

"Right. Sorry."

"Anyway, there was no need to. Look." She pointed at the creatures. "They were just trying to feed their pups."

The six watched as the adult timberwolves started pulling apples off the tree and dropping them down to the cubs.

"They're just takin' care of their family," Applejack said. "No reason to be mean to 'em over that."

"That's nice," Fluttershy said, smiling as she watched the family.

"We should still get out of here," Applejack said. "Pretty sure we're still in their territory and they won't be happy about it when they're done eatin'."

"Yeah," Twilight agreed. "Besides, we still have a castle to find."

The six ponies slipped out of the bushes and made their way back to the path, moving as quickly and quietly as they could so as to not disturb the feasting family.