• Published 7th May 2014
  • 1,692 Views, 39 Comments

Shard: The Dark King Returns - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



A major holiday is threatened by an ancient evil returning to Equestria, and it is up to six mares to try and stop it.

  • ...
2
 39
 1,692

Through the Valley of The Shadow Ponies

Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash stopped, looking over the edge of the hill. The side the pair was looking down was so sharply sloped, it was more like a cliff. The other four -- Fluttershy, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity -- stood further back, looking out.

"It looks like our path takes us down through that valley," Twilight said. "Hopefully we can find a way down not much further ahead."

A blindingly bright flash of lightning filled the sky, along with a ground-shaking boom of thunder. The six mare looked up, seeing the first droplets of rain begin to fall.

"What's going on?" Fluttershy asked as she watched the rain begin. "I thought that today was supposed to be clear for The Spring Equinox Celebration."

"We don't control the weather in The Everfree," Rainbow Dash replied. "Never have. What the weather does around here is completely under its own control." She looked up at the clouds. "We should probably get out of it soon though. It might just be rain right now, but it looks like its going to get-"

There was another flash and boom, blinding and deafening the six ponies for a split second. Before they could recover, there was another boom. The ground beneath them gave way, massive chunks falling from the side of the hill.

Being the furthest from the edge, Applejack was able to scramble backwards, keeping herself from actually falling. Rarity was not so fortunate and began to fall. Her horn lit up as she thought quickly. Using her magic, the Rarity navigated herself to a rocky protrusion and helped that it was strong enough to support her weight.

Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie reacted automatically, using their wings to take to the air. Fluttershy should have done the same thing, but was caught off-guard and not as quick as the other two. The collapsed threw her off-balance, striking one of the chunks of ground with her side and sending a burst of pain through one of her wings. She hit the edge of the steep slope back first and began to slide down along it.

"Help!" She cried out, trying to get a grip on anything.

Twilight had managed to grab a hold of a root as she was passing. Seeing Fluttershy sliding past her, she let go and grabbed the yellow batpony.

"I got you," Twilight said as she pulled her friend tight.

"Thanks, but what now?"

"Hold on. I haven't tried this spell before."

Fluttershy nodded and closed her eyes. Twilight Sparkle held her friend tightly, closing her eyes as well as she tried to concentrate. The unicorn's horn began to glow with magic, growing brighter and larger as the power built up.

In a burst of rose colored light, the two ponies disappeared.

A second later, the two appeared in another burst of magic. They hit the ground from several inches above, landing with a thud, but otherwise unhurt. Twilight and Fluttershy both fell limply, groaning as the world seemed to spin around them.

"Are you two okay?" Rarity asked as she was carried down by Pinkie Pie, with Rainbow Dash carrying Applejack.

"I feel a little queasy," Fluttershy groaned, giving her head a shake.

"Me too," Twilight agreed, "and really drained. I think I'm going to need some time before trying anything like that again."

The other four helped Twilight and Fluttershy back up to their hooves. The pair wobbled for a moment, having to lean against each other for support.

"Well at least we're all down into the valley," Applejack said. "Now we just need to find a place to get out of this rain."

The six of them started to walk again. After only a few steps, Fluttershy walked over to Twilight and pressed against her to get her attention.

"By the way, how did you know that teleport spell would work if you hadn't tried it before?"

Twilight's cheeks turned slightly pink as she looked away, ears dropping.

"I... I didn't," she admitted. "I wasn't really thinking about the spell actually. I just... saw you were in danger and had to do something to make sure you were okay."

"Oh." Fluttershy shifted a moment then smiled. "Well thank you, Twilight. You are a good friend to care like that."

Another flash and crack caused the pair to jump. Letting out nervous chuckles, they began to move at a brisk trot.

"Wow," Pinkie Pie said with a grin as she looked around. "This place is super creepy looking. Especially with the rain."

"Indeed," Rarity agreed. "It almost seems like something out of an adventure book."

"Ugh," Rainbow Dash groaned. "I hope not. If that's the case then-"

Something burst up from the ground.

"...something like that would happen."

Several more burst out as well. Twitching and shifting, four black forms began to pull themselves from out of the ground. What came out look like they had the shape and basic size of ponies. The first noticeable difference was that they were all black. Not the same smooth glossy black that made up the shells of changelings, but a deep black that seemed like a void. The only exception was two glowing red points that were their eyes. The other was how thin they were. The creatures were nearly skeletal in build.

The four creatures turned toward the other ponies, and let out a hiss.

"What are those?" Rainbow Dash asked, eyes going wide.

"I don't know," Twilight replied. "I've never read about anything like that before."

"Who cares," Rarity shouted as she galloped past. "Let's just run!"

The other five took their cue from their friend and started running after her as quick as they could. Occasionally one of them would glance back, and see the creatures chasing after them.

"I..." Twilight panted slightly as she tried to speak. "I think there's.... There's a bridge some.... Somewhere up ahead." She took a deep breath. "If we can get to it, we.... we can cut the ropes and.... and strand them on the other side."

Rainbow Dash looked around at the other five ponies and back at the four chasing them. Jaw setting, she began to slow down.

"Keep going," she shouted as the other ponies began to catch up with her. "Cut the ropes when you get across. I'll join you soon as I can."

"What are you doing?" Applejack asked.

"They're catching up. I'll buy you guys some time to make sure you can make it." She came to a stop, as did the others.

"Dash?" Fluttershy asked. "Do you really think you can beat them?"

"...I honestly don't know," Rainbow Dash admitted. "I don't even know what they are. But right now, I'm the best fighter, and can fly across the gap, so I have the best chance."

"But we can't just-"

"Can and will." She turned and gave the group a hard look. "Now go." She turned to look in the direction the creatures came from again. "This is your and Twilight's mission so you are the ones who need to make it. My job is to do whatever I can to help you do it."

"...okay..." Fluttershy said with a soft voice as she turned and started running again. She did not feel right abandoning her friend, especially after finding her again after all these years. Still, she had a point.

"We'll see you where we set up a resting place."

"But-" Twilight started, but stopped.

"Not now," Rarity interrupted. "Just trust in our friend and go."

Reluctantly, the five of them left their friend behind, each one sparing several final glances back at her as they went.

Rainbow Dash watched them go and let out a sigh. Closing her eyes, she took several slow deep breaths. The mare stretched out her joints, her neck popping several times.

The sound of hissing reached her as the creatures moved closer.

Rainbow opened her eyes and narrowed them as a smirk spread across her face. She opened her wings and with a hard flap took off, flying toward them in a rainbow colored streak.

"Alright," she said with a grin, "let's see how your flanks like being spanked by Rainbow Dash's Rainbow Comet."