• Published 7th May 2014
  • 7,328 Views, 239 Comments

Pokemon, A Whole 'New' Frontier - CroixAura



What happens to a trainer and his closest pokemon when Arceus decides to shift his children and worthy trainers to the world of ponies? A healthy dose of confusion and a lot of laughs.

  • ...
15
 239
 7,328

A New, A New Shot!

Through the entire night and even through most of the early morning hours, the Spiritomb chased them. At times, it would seem they could stop and rest for the night, only for the Pokémon to appear out of thin air to continue the chase and to scare them. When the early hours of morning started to come around, the Spiritomb seemed to lose it’s energy and, when the light of dawn was visible the chase seemed, to stop all together. Still, they would continue to run until they were certain the cursed thing was not coming back. Sadly, the chase would leave all the Pokémon and trainers tired, especially poor Hazel who’d been their mighty steed.

With a loud yawn, Hazel would collapse to the ground, sending everyone who was riding on his back to the ground, all except Viola who picked the perfect time to flap her wings. “I ran again big brother, we went so far. You think we can get the scary thing to chase again?” Apparently, Hazel hadn’t been intimidated by the Spiritomb, but rather had just wanted to run. “After a nap and some more cookies perhaps?” His eyes went wide with hope at the prospect of more cookies.

Jayce, however, was content with just laying on the ground, so there he would stay. It may or may not have been because Nao had landed across his chest, there was no proof! “You ate all the cookies Munchlax, remember I used them to wake you?” Jayce would say as he repositioned Nao so that he and she could be a bit more comfortable. “But I think we should all get some sleep while we can.” The others seemed to nod and Nao was already fast asleep on him; her cute snore was enough to bring a big smile to his face. Tilting his head up, he would look at the forest canopy above them, the leaves were thinned and the sun was quite low which meant it was still early in the morning. But more importantly, it meant they were somewhere near the edge of the forest or at the very least a place that was thinned out.

Looking a bit more defeated than intended, Hazel would lay his head down on the ground. “Then jam and crackers.” Nodding his head vigorously against the ground, he would slowly doze off, a slight drool dripping from his mouth. No doubt his dreams would be filled with sweets and delights with a healthy dose of running and jumping.

“This is a picture perfect moment! My targets and this light assure me the perfect shot. If only I had my camera. Or my friends...” Viola touched down a few feet away from Jayce and Nao looking a bit down. “Vivillon… Surskit, where are you?” Being apart from her friends was starting to take a toll on her. “Being trapped like this is bad enough…” She would have said alone but she did have the others so that helped a bit.

As bad as Jayce felt for Viola, there wasn’t much he could do to actually help her at the moment, since even they were still missing friends. “We’re heading to this land’s capital.” He would say as softly as he could as to not wake the others. At different times over the night, he had done his best to explain the situation to Viola and she had surprised him by remembering who he was, not only from challenging her gym but also from the Team Flare incident so many years ago. “Maybe we can find your team there or at least put word out.” Thank the gods, or god in this case, that two of them were psychic types so communication with ponies was possible. “But… let’s get some sleep first.”

Viola nodded before floating over to the others and curling her wings around herself. It was so strange that doing this felt so natural to her, but in the end, she figured it was thanks to her being so close to her own Pokémon that this was so easy. Once feeling as comfortable as possible, she slowly drifted off to sleep, even her antennae seemed to droop a bit with slumber.


The few hours between first light and noon would speed by in peace, the horror that had chased them having not disturbed their sleep. Around this time, Jayce was starting to come to again, though he was feeling very much content with his current position once he felt Nao clinging to him. The silence however, would be broken in the most unexpected way.

“Greetings citizens of Equus, both old and new.” Arceus’ voice echoed through the mind of every being on the planet.

The sudden intrusion was enough to not only rouse everyone from their sleep, but even cause one particularly grassy goat to spring up and plop on his side as if he had fainted. His limbs sticking straight out to the side though was enough to make Jayce laugh. Well, he would have if he wasn’t terrified out of his mind, it wasn’t often a psychic Pokémon had their mind utterly invaded like that, and even Nao looked disturbed by it.

”I am Lord Arceus, creator of the Pokémon realm. You have no reason to fear me, I come in peace.” The voice of the alpha Pokémon tried to assure those he was speaking to.

After the initial moment of panic and shock, Jayce quickly pulled himself up to his feet and looked around. “So… our earlier suspicions had been right.” Their ‘oh Arceus’ comments from yesterday had hit right on target. “For once, can we not be right? Is that so hard to ask for?” Honestly though, it was better this way than one of their other ideas. Taking a moment to keep himself from pacing, he looked at the others only to find both Hazel and Viola sprawled on their back with Nao getting to her feet.

“I have revealed myself to inform you that I am the one responsible for the Pokémon’s presence in this world, for the citizens of Equus, the Pokémon are the beings who have appeared over the past few days.”

Nao stumbled a bit as she got to her feet, using Jayce to balance herself out. One of the few things about Nao was that she was not a morning kitty. In fact, some days she adamantly refused to get up and had to be carried. “Turn down the volume...” she muttered as she buried her face in the fur scarf around Jayce’s neck. “Too loud.” And it seemed like all of his companions agreed to that as well.

Almost as if he was listening, Arceus’ voice seemed to become a bit more quiet. Not as if speaking more softly, but like someone turning down the volume on a speaker. “I have my reasons for bringing them here, and to the leaders I will reveal them in time, but for now a warning, the Pokémon, while some may not seem it, are just as intelligent as any race who calls Equus home, and, seeing as how they are my subjects, I will not tolerate them being treated any differently than you would treat your fellow Pony, Griffin, Minotaur, Diamond Dog, Changeling, Deer, Hippocampi, Zebra, Horse, Buffalo, Cow, Donkey, or Dragon depending on whichever race you belong to.”

None of the group decided to talk during the moment Arceus paused, figuring that he was pausing for dramatic effect or something.

“To my Pokémon, I say this, I brought you, all of you, here so that you could live in peace, do not seek to harm the natives of this world, for I am the one responsible for your displacement. And to the Pokémon who went through changes when I brought you here I say this. You are the ones who proved themselves worthy, those who were fair, kind and good in the old world, consider this your reward. And to all of you, as sapients the laws of Equus, and the varying countries, now apply to you, and only the laws of Equus.”

“That is all for now, but just to be clear, the Pokémon are not to be harmed simply out of spite, if you have a problem with what I’ve done, feel free to contact me, I currently reside in an ancient temple deep in the Everfree Forest, or a pocket dimension outside of the space time continuum, so if any of you wish to face the sheer power of a god, feel free to come by. Goodbye for now, though I doubt this will be the last you hear of me, and peace to you all.”

Moments passed before anyone would say anything, but thanks to snooping around and already figuring some things out, the overall reaction wasn’t too surprising. “Sooo… he confirmed what we knew, which is great.” Jayce would say as he helped Nao to actually wake up rather than being in that place between sleep and being awake. “Come on, Nao,” he said as he prodded at her ears with a smile. “Wakey wakey.” There would be no promise of fish or bacon though as he had neither at this moment. “I do wish we could have gotten some tea or something from town.”

For Nao and Hazel, the announcement hadn’t really meant anything since they were with Jayce and since he was fine being here, there was no problem. Viola looked a bit more perturbed by the news. “So we were chosen against our will? No! That I can handle, since this means new places with new photo opportunities! But really?! Separate us from our Pokémon and think we’ll be happy?” And Viola did look angry and she was a woman that appeared never to get mad. “If I wasn’t a Vivillon and fond of my wings I would soooo tear him apart! Give me Surskit and Vivillon back!” she shouted at the sky with all her feelings directed towards one particular alpha Pokémon.

It was around this time that Hazel was coming out of his fright filled stupor only to be frightened again by a very angry sounding Viola. “Wah!” Joining in the shout, he would shoot out to hide behind Jayce and Nao as if they were a wall.

“Alright everyone, calm down! We already have a plan for this, remember?” Being the ringleader came naturally to Jayce even if he couldn’t really move at this moment. “Sleep, train, then Canterlot. I’m not the only one who was paying attention was I?” A quick glance around and the looks upon most everyone’s face told him otherwise. “Of course. Alright.” Stepping away from Nao, he’d pull out the map from his pack. “Here’s the plan alright?” Unrolling it, he would point to their approximate location. “We are here.” Moving his paw along the paper he’d point to the train tracks. “We’re going here.” Then following the train tracks around he’d get to Canterlot. “And we’ll end up here.” Not very complicated, in fact, it was quite an easy plan to follow.

There was a shared moment of silence amongst the group as Viola calmed down a bit and Hazel stopped acting so afraid.

Viola was the first to speak while Nao moved to Jayce’s side. “Then it’s time for us to go then, a change of scenery as it were.” Saying as her eyes turned towards the direction they would be traveling.

Packing everything that’d been taken out was rather quick, and soon they were on their way through the woods again, this time with a goal. “Alright so…” Recalling the map from memory, Jayce would point ahead. “We’re looking for an opening in the trees. Viola, if you could fly overhead, I think that could help.” He was also keeping an ear open, listening for anything that could sound like a train. Viola nodded before flying a bit higher in the air, though she was careful to avoid flying out of sight, but still enough so that she could see through the trees easily.

Hazel was leading the group, as his energetic nature kept him from following quietly. “Oh oh oh, we can play ‘I Spy’? It’s like a game where you uh...spy stuff! I’m good at that game.” Quickly, he’d turn his head from side to side looking for something. “I spy something green.”

To her credit, Nao only looked mildly annoyed at the Skiddo.”I’ve not had my morning tea yet, Hazel.” Sounding a bit grouchy, her eyes would shift to Jayce who did his best to look innocent. “Why didn’t you get tea from them anyway?”

“I didn’t exactly ask for any of this except for the map and pack.” Though it might have been a good idea to ask for some tea leaves or even the instant stuff. Jayce had developed a skill at brewing tea just right over the years of traveling with Nao and his friends, more or less because Nao refused coffee and to him the stuff tasted like mud anyway. “Maybe we can find something here that can be brewed?” Problem was he wasn’t familiar with Equestria’s nature and while something might look harmless enough, it could turn out to be quite poisonous… or an extreme laxative… A full bodied shiver ran through Jayce as he remembered that one particular incident. “Never again will I try to make tea from things I don’t know. And Hazel,” He didn’t even need to look around to guess. “Leaves.”

Freezing in his tracks, Hazel would stare at Jayce, looking rather awestruck. “You didn’t even look? How’d you know? Are you in my head?” It would have been a legitimate question if Hazel’s first choice wasn’t always either leaves or grass. Once, he’d thrown a loop in and said it was his coat but it’d really been leaves...

“Nope, I’m just that good, but that means it’s my turn.” Slowly he would look one way then another, stopping his head for a moment or two to give the illusion he spotted something. “I spy something white.” While the game was generally in good fun and only mildly annoying it could, in fact, prove to be a way to keep him quiet for a bit.

To his credit, Hazel only paused a second before guessing. “Cloud.” Not a lot of credit, but at least he was quick to the guesses. Seeing Jayce shake his head, he would, of course, guess again and again and again. “That flower? Oh, that flower? Your pack… no wait, that’s not white. Um, oh I know, it’s Viola!”

Ten minutes later…

“Alright I got it this time, I’m a smart Hazel and I knew it all along. Is it a cloud?” Oh, he managed to look smug, alright, as he thought he’d gotten the answer this time. Turns out, there were a hundred some odd white or near white things in the forest. Just none of them were the correct answer. “No no don’t tell me, I got it didn’t I?” Ten times he had said cloud, hoping it was the correct answer, ten times it had been the wrong answer.

All the while, Jayce looked rather amused, Nao looked significantly more annoyed, and Viola had floated just a bit higher to get away from the yapping Skiddo. “Wrong again, Hazel, you give up yet?” he asked with a bit of a smile.

“Yep! Hazel gives up now, Jayce you’re really good at this game!” Actually he wasn’t it was just that Hazel tended to be a bit oblivious to the obvious answers.

With a grin he would recite, “I spy something white, I spy Hazel’s face.” Quickly, he would run forward to place his paw to the side of Hazel’s face and give his cheek a soft pinch. “You named absolutely everything we passed and some things we didn’t, but you never looked at yourself, Hazel. Silly Hazel.” Reaching up he’d wrap his arms around Hazel’s neck to give him a nice warm hug. Coincidentally it also caused him to be dragged along the ground a little bit but it was a pain he was willing to live with.

Running to catch up, Nao would climb on to Hazel’s back before reaching down to pull Jayce on. “The sooner we get to the train, the sooner we get to this Canterlot place.” And the sooner she could get something to drink that wasn’t water.

With the help and Hazel slowing down a bit, Jayce would climb on just behind Nao, making sure he was pressed against her in a nice warm hug. “I know, but we can’t have Hazel carry us everywhere. We’d get lazy and pudgy. A pudgy Jayce isn’t a good Jayce, he is a Jayce that requires all the hugs and cookies.” Actually that was more or less how Jayce was all the time.

From above, Viola would drift down until she was floating next to the others. “The way you are with your Pokémon is really something else Jayce, even in this situation, it’s outstanding.” A smile was on her face as she spoke.

Leaning his head on Nao’s shoulder, Jayce would reply. “Thank you, but the truth is I’m more their’s than they are mine, if it weren’t for my friends I wouldn’t be well...” he paused, looking for the right way to put. Living right now was the real answer, but it was a bit more depressing than he’d like to admit. “Where I am today. I couldn’t be luckier.” The praise he gave his Pokémon was always true and pure; he loved each of them dearly.

“And that is why you’re special; a lot of trainers wish they could fit together so well.” Giving a quick twirl, Viola would propel herself forward a bit. “Also, I saw the clearing up ahead, looked like it went on and on, so it’s probably the tracks. Or a group of Pokémon decided to bulldoze a straight line through the woods for no reason. Oh! Could you imagine what sort of picture that would be?”

The news of the tracks was overshadowed by the ground suddenly starting to shake and the sound of a loud train whistle off in the distance. Excitement and glee filled the group, well, as close as it could get for Nao anyway. It seemed their timing had been spot on and it was all thanks to the horrible ghost that had been following them. “Alright, Hazel, now you can run as fast as you want.” Jayce would say as he lightly prodded Hazel’s sides.

With childlike glee, as there is no other kind of glee, Hazel would shoot off like a rocket. Problem was, it was so sudden that Jayce hadn’t a moment to hang on and was sent spiralling off the back. Luckily, Viola was there catch him! “Whoa there, I got’cha.” Saying triumphantly as she caught him. Surging forward, she would place Jayce back on Hazel’s back before attempting to zoom ahead, though the Skiddo’s speed was a bit too much for her to overtake. All together, they would burst through the trees that kept them from the tracks and emerge into the clearing around the train tracks.

Down the tracks, the massive bundle of metal barreled down the tracks in their direction. Oddly enough, it seemed to be almost as brightly colored as the ponies that lived in this world and it appeared to be coal powered. A whistle blew, signaling it either saw them or whoever driving it really really liked to blow the thing. Considering a series of five more whistles followed, they were banking on the latter to true. From here, they could see that the train was pulling a few passenger cars and a few boxcars, as luck would have it one door was open.

“Alright! Hazel, Nao, this is something we can do!” Speaking as if they had experience with the matter, Jayce would point off to a small bush that was relatively close to the tracks. In the past, they had used this method of transportation when they were attempting to avoid people or, well, going into town where they might have had issues. Viola looked relatively impressed even if all she had to do was fly in.

The train would finally pass in front of them and their target rapidly approached them. As much joy as they felt about leaving this forest behind, that was very suddenly overshadowed by a sudden feeling of despair… and cold, gripping fear.

“One with me you shall be…” A voice echoed somewhere behind them, close, but not yet on top of them.

“Moving now!” Both Jayce and Viola shouted at the same time just as the boxcar made it into position. Together as a group, they would bolt for the train car, Hazel leaping with all his strength to land inside while Viola zoomed in with relative panicked ease. Their bodies hit the floor with heavy thuds as both Jayce and Nao rolled away from Hazel who continued to roll a bit until he connected with the opposite wall.

Throwing her head up, Nao would flap open her ears to let loose the telekinetic energy stored to slam the door. Not slide it quietly, not to hastily shut it, but to slam the door with such force that it threatened to shatter. Luckily, it was made of both metal and wood so while the wood cracked a bit, the metal remained strong. “No!” It seemed she’d had enough of the creepy ghost thing chasing them as well. Then she would lay her head back down on the floor.

With a grimace, Jayce would sit up or rather prop himself up against one of the nearby crates. “It’s official, I hate Spiritombs. Well… that one, anyway.” There was no reason to hate on the entire species of Pokémon based on only one. Turning slowly as to not aggravate any sort of wound he might have gotten, he’d look to Hazel who wasn’t moving. “Hazel?” A small twitch and a few seconds later, Hazel turned over to shake his head. While looking a bit confused, the Skiddo didn’t look to be hurt at all and so he would look to Nao. Similarly, she looked a bit roughed up from the landing but overall pretty good, which left one. “Hey Viola, are you alright?”

Out of everyone, she had fared the best since she didn’t have to tumble or roll in order to get in, rather she’d just landed on one of the crates. “I’m good.” As if to make a point, she would give her lovely wings a few flaps

“Wonderful.” Taking his time, he would crawl his way over to Nao to lay his head on her belly. “Seeing as we no longer have to walk and just hope this train goes to Canterlot, I think we can relax.” He’d also have to keep Hazel from trying to look in all the crates. That and he hoped the ponies driving wouldn’t get curious as to why some of the train shook, but that was a worry for later.

“Now we just need cookies and it’ll be like last time!” Hazel said cheerfully, though he remembered them being out of cookies thanks to him. But the intended effect was there as everyone started to laugh.


Far behind the train, the Spiritomb watched as the locomotive pulled away from it. “You may run… you may hide… but you shall be one with me. Whether you want to or not.” Lifting from the ground under it’s own power, it started to slowly follow behind the train which spirited away its prey. It seemed no matter where they ran, it would surely follow, and while they had managed to get away for now, one thing was certain. The hunt was far from over…