• Published 4th May 2014
  • 4,355 Views, 106 Comments

Stranger In A Familiar Place - Arreis Of Avalon



Spike returns to Ponyville on royal duty, reliving the past and dreading the near future.

  • ...
11
 106
 4,355

Kindness

I step inside, ducking under the doorframe. She mumbles a small apology about that. I can't help but chuckle. I tell her it wasn't at all her fault that I had grown. After all, it wasn’t like this was my house. She still mumbles away her ‘sorries’ and ‘excuse mes’ as she retreats inside. I take the chance to glance away from her, taking in my surroundings.

She hadn’t changed much around her cottage since my last visit. Around me, repaired bird houses remained hanged by ropes and things that looked new. I can’t help but wonder how she had managed that - she moves so slowly and so frail, I can’t imagine her moving as such. I suppose she must have help nowadays, just as she used to. I take in the timeless effect of her cottage with a smile and compliment her. She chuckles softly before asking if I want some tea. I agree, as I always do, and sit.

I sigh as I relax, for possibly the first time since I came to Ponyville. Well, not the first time since I returned - but the first time I have truly relaxed. Sinking into the sofa a little, I can believe I’m there again.

I shut my eyes and see it clearly; I’m not the royal ambassador, I’m not visiting my friends one final time. I’m here to feed the birds. I’m here, waiting after chores are done, for my close friend to finish making the tea. Usually I help, but today she has taken over. She wants me to be happy, now. She’s kind like that.

I hear a little ‘ahem’. I open my eyes to see her set a tray of tea cups and tea down. I hardly glance at the tray as I take her in.

Her hair has changed drastically. It shines silver, now, not just the usual grey. I can just make out a single strand or two of faded pink in the messy bun she now wore her mane in. Her wings rest at her sides, drooping slightly as old, unused pegasus wings do. Her face mirrors her wings as wrinkles have taken footholds in her face. I sigh, looking into her teal eyes. She looks back in mine and smiles slowly.

Those eyes are sparkling, even now. I can’t help but smile at her. She is still so beautiful, so gentle, so quiet. I don’t know how she manages it. I tell her this and she blushes ever so softly, turning her muzzle as though hiding behind her mane - a force of habit, I’m sure. She chuckles, sitting.

She reaches out to pour the tea, but I refuse to let her do that. She glances at me and nods, smiling. I try to convince myself she thinks I’m just being kind, and that she didn’t see my concern when I saw how badly her hooves shook as she reached for the tea set. I know she saw, but perhaps she will believe in my kindness as I believe in hers.

I hand her the teacup and she sips it softly as I pour myself one. I remark on how everything in her house looks the same, newer even. She tells me how Scootaloo will sometimes stop by and help her, when she can that is. In fact, many of the ‘younger foals’ - I neglect to tell her the fact that most everypony is younger than her now - come and help her. I smile at this. It’s nice to hear others being kind.

The conversation shifts, just as it had with Applejack. Fluttershy is kind, however. She doesn’t let the conversation lull as the farm mare had. She comes right out and asks me why I’m here.

I take a deep drink from my tea, sighing as I feel it warm me inside. I set it down, thankful to have the heated drink. It gives me warmth and courage even as it relaxed me - just like Fluttershy always had. Now it’s my turn to share that with her.

I tell her everything. I tell her she needs to find someone kind and respectful, who can keep a secret. I tell her that our time has come to an end. That she’s going to…

She sets down the glass. I watch, dimly curious after saying it all to her, what she is doing. She stands, trotting over to me before pulling me into a soft and gentle hug.

I’m surprised, at first. But I shut my eyes and hug her back, almost picking her up in the process. I feel tears rise to my eyes once more. She is like a foal in my embrace - so small, so tiny…

She lets go of the hug and smiles at me. She tells me she understands completely. I’m happy she accepts this without a fight, but also… remorseful. I had to be the one to tell her. I could have let her bask in her life just a day more. Just an hour?

She sees that and frowns softly. She tells me that I’ve grown, and that I can’t feel bad about this. It's not my fault that time had taken their youth. She pats my back as she comforts me, even now. I’m that little dragon once more, the first day we came here. I start to talk before I even realize it, the words tumbling out of my mouth.

I tell her everything. I tell her all the emotions that have been storming through me since I had been assigned this task and all the wishes I’ve made and the dreams I’ve dreamt. She listens as she always did. I’m thankful that hasn’t changed.

I don’t know how long I talk. It was well after sunset, I know. The rather one sided conversation begins to trail off. She smiles at me and kisses my cheek, as a mother would. I glance at her and smile softly. I thank her for listening.

She shrugs softly. Tells me it’s what she had been born to do.

I stand, sighing, and tell her I should go to the next friend. She shakes her head and points out the already late hour. By the time I found anypony else, it would certainly be after they had fallen asleep. She absolutely will not have it, she says. I smile at her consideration as she stands, telling me I can sleep on the couch.

She tries to go get pillows and blankets for me, but I stop her. I’m used to sleeping on a hard surface, and it’s still warm enough that my inner flame is enough to keep me comfortable at night. She nods, thankful not to have to run and find things.

I say goodnight to her, and that I’ll most likely be gone in the morning. She hugs me one last time and thanks me for having tea with her. I almost laugh - I should be the one thanking her. She let me talk all that time, after all.

As she walks away and I lie down to sleep, I think. I think about how she hasn’t changed at all - still the same old Fluttershy. Still so kind, still so considerate. Applejack hadn’t changed much either. Would the rest of my friends be the same? I wasn’t sure.

I thought of who was left. Pinkie Pie would surely be a painful visit. The usually bubbly party pony wouldn’t be bouncing anymore, I knew. And Rarity… I had gotten over her long ago, but seeing her would bring back memories long since buried.

I could think of only one pony to visit.

I shut my eyes and sigh. I only hoped Scootaloo wasn’t too busy flying to see me.

Author's Note:

Next chapter should be an adventure.
This one was a bit tamer, a little... dare I say it... kinder.
Wow I'm the bad pun master.