• Published 3rd May 2014
  • 1,123 Views, 12 Comments

Immovable - Purplescales42



It takes great strength and resolve to stand for your beliefs. But what happens when your resolve drives away those you love?

  • ...
2
 12
 1,123

Timberwolves

Iron slowly opened his right eye. He lifted his head up from the saddlebag he was using as a makeshift pillow and adjusted the eyepatch over his left eye. As his vision cleared, he looked around the cave he was sleeping in. Out of the cave's entrance awaited the Everfree Forest. He gave a loud yawn before getting up and adjusting the cloak he was wearing before putting on his saddlebag and leaving the cave.

It was daytime. At least he thought it was. Hard to tell sometimes in the Everfree. He looked up to see if he could spot any sunlight or the sky. There was only just enough light for him to see his way around. Must have been early. He yawned again.

“I really need to start getting a full night’s sleep,” he mumbled to himself.

As he hiked through the forest, his stomach started growling in demand for food. Iron only gave an annoyed grunt in response. He examined his surroundings to see if there was anything edible he could scrounge up.

“Nothing. Typical.”

It looked like he’d have to go hungry one more day. Unsatisfied with that option, he stopped and pulled a map out of his saddlebag and looked it over. He felt a shimmer of hope when he spotted a small town called Ponyville that seemed to be close to where he was. Maybe his luck might actually change today.

Suddenly, Iron heard a rustling from somewhere in the woods. He put his map away and continued his trek through the forest at a quicker pace. The rustling seemed to follow him. It also sounded like it was getting louder and multiplying. He was being followed. Iron desperately hoped that it wasn't what he thought it was. As if in response to his thoughts, he caught the scent of what smelled like rotten wood.

“Timberwolves,” he growled.

Immediately, Iron broke into a gallop. The Timberwolves picked up their pace so as not to lose their prey. Iron knew he wouldn't be able to keep this up for long. He hadn't eaten or slept properly in days. He came to an abrupt halt and turned to face his enemies. If he was going to tire himself out, he was going to do it fighting.

Three Timberwolves jumped out form the shadows surrounding him. Iron could hear one snarling behind him. There was another to his right and one more to the left, however, he could only see the one to his right. The beasts howled in an attempt to intimidate their prey. Iron only smirked. He was almost as big as they were.

“If you want breakfast, you’ll have to work for it,” he taunted. Immediately, they all jumped him. Iron ducked causing them to crash into each other. Two of them shattered immediately, but the third one was still standing.

“Oh, you’re a tough one aren’t you?” said Iron, his smile only get wider. The Timberwolf charged at him at swiped at Iron with its claws. The stallion quickly stepped to the left causing his foe to run past him. Bringing up both hind legs, Iron bucked the beast as hard as he could sending it into a tree. Iron chuckled as he turned to face it.

“What? Is that-AAAAAAHHHH!” He was interrupted by the two other reconstructed Timberwolves. One of them dug its claws into his left side while the other bit into his neck. Both managed to pin him down. The third Timberwolf got back up and slowly approached its prey.

“No!” growled Iron. “I’m not losing to some cheap firewood!” He reared up onto his hind legs bringing himself to his full height knocking off the two Timberwolves pinning him down. The third one swiped at Iron managing to scratch his chest. The adrenaline fueled stallion wasn’t even phased as he brought his forehooves down on his foe finally crushing it. The last two came from behind but one final buck made short work of them

It was the perfect time to escape. Iron made a mad dash through the forest ignoring the pain of his injuries. He hoped that he was heading in the right direction for Ponyville and hoped even more that the Timberwolves were slow to put themselves back together.

So much for being lucky.

***

It was about noon in Ponyville. Everypony was about their daily activities. One of these ponies was an orange, Stetson hat wearing mare named Applejack. She had brought some of her apples to sell in the marketplace. Business was steady today much to her delight. She also took notice of how calm everything seemed to be. It was a fairly uneventful day which was unusual for her. Most of her days seemed to involve getting caught up in some crazy antics or adventures with her friends, but today was actually quite calm. Applejack had to admit that she enjoyed the change of pace. As much fun as she had with her friends, she enjoyed a dull day every once in a while.

After about a couple hours, Applejack decided to take a break. She closed up her stand and headed over to Sugarcube Corner to get a snack and maybe see her friend, Pinkie Pie. As she made her way through the town, she looked off in the distance and saw a cloaked figure approaching the town. At first she thought it might have been Zecora since it was coming from the direction of the Everfree Forest. However, as the figure approached, she noticed it was too big to be the rhyming zebra. Never one to be inhospitable to newcomers, Applejack made her way to the cloaked figure.

“Howdy, stranger,” she greeted. “New around here?” She looked the pony over. He was an Earth pony stallion and a big one at that, maybe even taller than Big Macintosh. He was wearing a dark blue cloak and carried a dark brown saddlebag. His coat was a dull gray color, his mane and tail were maroon colored and cut short, and he had black hooves. What caught her attention however were his eyes. His right eye was a nice shade of purple but the left one was covered by an eyepatch. Suddenly, she noticed the tattered cloak and claw marks on this body. Blood was still dripping from his wounds. “Wh-what happened to ya?!” The stallion didn't answer as he began to waver and finally fall to the ground with a loud thud. Applejack just stood there in surprise for a moment before getting her bearings. “Somepony get over here and help me!” she shouted.

***

A couple hours later, Iron found himself waking up in a hospital. His vision was blurry as he looked around the room. He saw his cloak and bag sitting on a chair next to his bed, but what made him stop and concentrate was an orange mare standing at the foot of his bed. He stared at her as his vision came into focus.

“. . .okay there. . .” he heard her speak. His hearing was trying to come back to him as well. “. . .some nasty wounds,” she said. Finally, she came into focus. “Hey, can you hear me?” she asked.

“Y-Yeah,” he replied. The mare smiled.

“Glad to hear it,” she said relieved. “My name’s Applejack. Mind tellin’ me who you are and why exactly you came into town all beat up?” Iron moved the covers that were draped over him and saw the bandages wrapped around his barrel, chest, and neck. Some blood stains were seeping through where his wounds were.

“I ran into some Timberwolves,” explained Iron. “I had to defend myself.”

“Mighty risky,” said Applejack. “Y’all are lucky that you just ended up with a few scratches.”

“I left them in worse shape.” Iron gave her a cocky smirk. Applejack chuckled and smiled back.

“Ah’d think so,” she said. “Big ol’ stallion like you don’t seem too likely to be beaten by some walkin’ kindlin.’” Her expression went a little more serious. “Ya still haven’t given me a name though, partner.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. My name is Iron Ore. You can call me ‘Iron’ though.”

“Iron?” Apple repeated. Iron nodded. The cowpony looked the strange stallion over noticing his eye in particular.

“Problem, Miss Applejack?”

“Huh? Oh, Ah’m sorry,” she apologized with a nervous smile. “But do you mind my askin’ about. . .” She pointed to her left eye. Iron sighed.

“It happened a while ago. I’d rather not talk about it.”

“Um, alright. Can I ask where you’re from?” asked Applejack. Iron shook his head.

“No,” he said bluntly. Applejack raised a brow.

“Yer just full of secrets now aren’t ya?”

“I know,” said Iron looking down solemnly. He looked at his wounds then back at Applejack. “How long am I going to be here for?”

“A few days I think,” Applejack informed him. Iron leaned back in his bed and huffed.

“Well, that’s just perfect. I have to figure out a way to pay for this.”

“I can help,” offered Applejack.

“What?” asked Iron sitting up too fast. He winced as his wounds protested the sudden movement.

“Ya alright?”

“Yes, I’m fine,” he assured as he gently rubbed the wounds. “But I can’t let you pay for my stay here, Miss Applejack. Kind as the offer is it wouldn't feel right.”

“Glad you feel that way,” said Applejack with a smirk. “I wasn’t plann’ on givin’ you the money for free. My family owns a farm and we can always use some extra help. If yer interested.” Iron sighed and leaned back in bed again.

“Well,” he said, “I don’t have much choice do I? It’s not like I was going anywhere in particular.”

“Whaddya mean?” asked Applejack raising a brow.

“Nothing.” He extended a hoof to her. “Miss Applejack, you have yourself a deal.” Applejack smiled and shook his hoof.

“Alright then, but enough of the ‘Miss’ nonsense,” she told him. “Just call me Applejack.”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

Author's Note:

So this is my first FiM fanfic. Gotta say I'm kind of nervous about how this will be received but I won't know until I try. Anyway, I accept any and all criticism. Feel free to tell me what's on your mind. I hope you enjoyed and thanks for reading.