• Published 3rd May 2014
  • 1,122 Views, 12 Comments

Immovable - Purplescales42



It takes great strength and resolve to stand for your beliefs. But what happens when your resolve drives away those you love?

  • ...
2
 12
 1,122

Going Home

had been a few days since Charcoal’s funeral. Iron stayed a little longer to settle some final details regarding his father’s death, namely Charcoal’s will. Just about everything was left to Gold Nugget but Iron wasn’t bothered by that. Gold had been there for their father far more than he was, so it only made sense that Charcoal would trust her with so many of his valued possessions. Iron was left a few small trinkets and both children got a nice sum of bits their father left for them.

However, neither Iron nor Gold Nugget was interested in what Charcoal had to leave behind. Most of the days that followed Charcoal’s death were just the two siblings comforting one another. Iron hated that he and his sister had to be brought back together by tragedy but he was glad that they could be there for each other again.

Both Applejack and Quarry were there for the siblings offering comfort and support. Iron Ore was admittedly suspicious of Quarry at first but the two managed to reconcile and Iron knew he could trust Quarry to take care of his sister. He knew someone would have to.

A letter from Ponyville came the day before. It was from Applejack’s family asking her when she would be back. Applebuck season was coming fast and the family needed her to help harvest the orchard. Whether anyone wanted it to be or not, it was time for Applejack to go home and Iron had a choice to make: Go with AJ or stay in his hometown.

Iron stood in his room looking inside an empty saddlebag. He hadn’t started packing yet. He was debating if he even should. Part of him told him that it was his duty to his family to stay and help his sister but another part told him he belonged in Ponyville or, rather, he belonged with Applejack. Iron sighed in frustration. He hated being torn like this.

“Hey, Iron, how’s the packing going?” asked Gold Nugget as she walked into the room. She looked into Iron’s bag. “Why is it empty? You’ve got an early train tomorrow.” She started packing Iron’s possessions while he stood still.

“Do you really think I should leave?” he asked.

“What?”

“Do you really want me to go?” Gold stopped packing. She looked sad.

“I don’t want you to leave. But I thought you would.”

“I’m a little conflicted,” admitted Iron. “I’ve finally gotten my family back but now I might have to leave again. I feel like I should stay and make up for lost time, but on the other hoof, I don’t know if I could just leave AJ like that.”

“Have you talked to her about this?”

“No.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know. I guess I’m just afraid to talk about this with her. I-I don’t want to say goodbye to her.”

“Then don’t,” said Gold bluntly.

“But-”

“Iron Ore, you really need to stop this self-pitying,” lectured Gold giving him a hard glare. “I would love for you to stay, but I can tell you’re happy with AJ. Far happier than you’ve ever been while you lived here. If you want to go then go.” Her expression softened into a smile as she walked up to him and nuzzled him affectionately. “I’m grateful to you for coming back and I’ll miss you when you’re gone, but you don’t have to protect me. You certainly don’t have to sacrifice your own happiness for mine. I know that’s hard for you to do, but you’re allowed to be happy to you know.”

“I just want to know you’ll be safe.”

“You already know I will be.”

“Yeah,” said Iron. “Quarry better be good to you.” Gold Nugget rolled her eyes.

“We’ll be fine. Besides, you should be more concerned about what I’ll do to AJ if she ever hurts you.” Iron couldn’t help but laugh. “Now you better go and tell her you’re going with her. It isn’t polite to keep a lady in suspense.”

“Yes, ma’am,” said Iron with a nod. He headed to Applejack’s room and knocked on the door.

“Come on in,” he heard the cowpony say from inside. Iron entered the room and saw her scribbling on some paper. “Hey, Iron.”

“What are you doing?”

“Writing back to the family and telling them Ah’ll be back in a couple days.”

“Just you?” asked Iron.

“Well, um.” AJ stopped writing and looked at him. “Ah wasn’t sure if you were comin’ back or not. Are ya?” Iron smiled.

“I’ll be there ready to buck apples with the rest of you,” he said. AJ gave him the biggest smile he had ever seen on her.

“Really?” she asked excitedly. “A-Are ya sure? Ah’ll understand if-”

“I’ve already talked about this with, Goldie,” said Iron as he walked up to AJ. “I promise I won’t leave you.” Applejack blushed a little.

“That. . .that’s, um, real good,” she said fumbling over her words. The two just stood there for a moment looking into each other’s eyes. “Ah’m really glad yer comin’ back. Ah’d. . .miss ya an aweful lot if ya’ll weren’t around anymore.”

“I’d miss you two, AJ,” said Iron.

“Oh, for the love of Celestia, would you two just kiss or something already?!” shouted Gold Nugget from outside the room. Iron and AJ’s faces turned a bright red.

“Um,” beagn Iron. “I, uh, think we should probably rest up or something if-” He didn’t get to finish his sentence as Applejack pressed her lips against his. Iron decided to shut up for once and returned AJ’s affections. However, it didn’t last long as AJ pulled away still blushing heavily.

“S-Sorry,” she said. “That was rude of me.” Iron chuckled.

“I’m not complaining,” he said. He rested his forehead against AJ’s. “I love you, Applejack.” AJ smiled softly at him.

“Sure are good at statin’ the obvious ain’t ya?” she teased. Iron chuckled again. “Feelin’s mutual,” said AJ as she kissed him again. The two didn’t noticed Gold Nugget peeking into the room and smiling.

Quarry, you owe me five bits, she thought to herself.

***

Gold Nugget hugged her brother as tight as she could. “You know you can come back and visit right?”

“I know,” said Iron returning the hug. “I promise I will.” The two let each other go and Gold hugged Applejack.

“Take care of him will you?” she asked.

“Ah will,” promised Applejack. The train whistle blew and the conductor was calling for the passengers to go.

“You better be off,” said Gold. Iron and AJ nodded and boarded the train. Iron and AJ waved at Gold Nugget as the train took off. The three kept waving until they couldn’t see each other anymore. Iron leaned back in his seat and AJ rested her head on his shoulder.

“Hey, Applejack?” he asked.

“Hm?”

“Thanks. For everything.” Applejack smiled and kissed his cheek.

“No thanks needed.” A comfortable silence overtook the two. Iron looked out the window at the mountains in the distance. Those strong towers of stone that stood strong, unbreakable, and unwavering. Those symbols of everything Iron sought to be. True he had been challenged and hurt, but in the end he was still strong.

He was still immovable.

The End

Author's Note:

Ha! It's done! I actually managed to legitimately finish a multi-chapter fic.

I want to thank all my readers for going this far with me. I'm well aware I'm not the best writer and I've learned a good bit from doing this that'll hopefully make me a better story teller as a result.

But thank yo all for reading anyway. You're all awesome.

Comments ( 3 )

Nice little tale :) liked it very much.

This was really your first Fimfiction story? It was very well done, little jealous lol my story didn't get nearly as much love as yours. But well done I liked it very few stories actually makes me pity or love how it's done. 10/10 :ajsmug:

Login or register to comment