• Published 3rd May 2014
  • 1,122 Views, 12 Comments

Immovable - Purplescales42



It takes great strength and resolve to stand for your beliefs. But what happens when your resolve drives away those you love?

  • ...
2
 12
 1,122

Around Town

"So what am I doing exactly?” asked Iron as he hitched himself up to a cart filled with apples and various pastries. His old cloak was thrown in there too.

“Big Mac and I want to take the chance to harvest as many apples as we can,” explained Applejack. “With you around, we can send you off to make deliveries around town while we get some extra harvestin’ in.”

“I see,” said Iron nodding in understanding. “But why are you doing deliveries? Don’t you have an apple stand in town you sell from?”

“That’s just every other day,” explained Applejack. “Plus, some ponies have specific orders that need fillin.’ Hence the deliveries yer makin.’ Understand?” Iron nodded.

“Mhm.”

“Good.” Applejack handed him a list. “These are the ponies that you’re making deliveries too. They've already paid in advance so don't worry about collectin' bits. Just git everything delivered.” Iron looked over the list which had the names of the customers as well as what they ordered.

“Alright,” he said rolling up the list and sticking it behind his ear like a pencil. “See you later.” Applejack nodded.

“See ya.” The two ponies went their separate ways. As Applejack headed to the orchard she saw Apple Bloom sitting on the porch watching Iron walk off. “Problem, Sugar Cube?”

“Should he be pullin’ that cart?” asked Apple Bloom giving her sister a worried look. “What about his injuries?”

“You kiddin’? That cart’s lighter than a feather fer a big feller like him,” Applejack assured her. “He won’t be strainin’ nothin’. Besides, this’ll be a good chance fer him to get to know some of the ponies around town.” Apple Bloom perked up at this.

“Yeah, it will.” She giggled. “Yer such a clever pony, Sis.” Applejack chuckled.

“Thank ya kindly. Now how about you come and help me collect some apples before you have to go to school?”

“Okay!” said Apple Bloom happily as she jumped off the porch and followed her sister.

***

“Okay, first things first,” said Iron as he looked at his list. He was standing in the middle of town square earning more than a few strange looks from the townsponies. Iron just ignored them. His first stop was at a place called Sugarcube Corner. Luckily, Applejack left addresses next to the names of the places he was supposed to go to. He made his way to the bakery and stopped when he saw what looked like a very elaborate gingerbread house. “Wow.” He went up to the door and was greeted by a yellow Earth Pony in a white apron.

“Oh, well good morning, Sir,” he greeted. “I’m Mr. Cake. How may I help you?”

“Morning,” Iron replied. “I got some deliveries from Sweet Apple Acres for you.”

“Oh, yes, thank you,” said Mr. Cake. “Just bring them around back. Pinkie Pie should be able to help you.” Iron nodded and headed to the back of the bakery. He knocked on the back door and was answered by a pink pony with a very poofy mane poking her head out the door.

“Heeeloooo?” she asked.

“Hey, Mr. Cake told me to bring these around back and-” The pink mare opened the door all the way and started bouncing in place.

“Ohyeahetoldme!” she interrupted. “YoumustbethenewponyhelpingApplejackshe-”

“Whoa, whoa!” shouted Iron holding a hoof up to stop her. She quit bouncing and just stared at him with a big smile. “Um, are you Pinkie Pie?”

“Yep, that’s me!” she said happily. “What’s your name?”

“Um, Iron Ore. You can just call me ‘Iron’ if you want.”

“Nice to meet you!”

“Uh, yeah, you too. Anyway, I have some deliveries-”

“Oh, these are the things the cakes ordered!” said Pinkie. “The Cakes always order some pastries from the Apples but not thattheyreallyneedtoImeanthecakesarethebestbakersaroundbut. . .” Iron sighed and face hoofed as Pinkie rambled on.

“Exucse me, Miss Pie,” he said Pinkie stopped talking and looked at him.

“Yeeeeeeees?”

“Not to be rude but I have other deliveries to make so if you could just grab what’s yours.”

“Okie, dokie, lokie.” She bounced to the back of the cart and stacked up a large pile of pastries in her hooves. “This it?” Iron checked his list.

“Yeah, those are all yours.”

“Alrighty then.” Pinkie walked on her hind legs as she carried the pastries inside.

“Do you need any help with that?” asked Iron.

“Nopey, lopey,” Pinkie assured. When she was inside she tossed all the goods into the air.

“Hey, what are you-” Iron started to protest but stopped when all the pastries landed neatly on a table. He just stared with his mouth agape. “B-but, how does, wh-what was, huh?!”

“What?” asked Pinkie tilting her head. Iron was too dumfounded to speak. Pinkie waved a hoof in front of his face. “Heeeellooo, Equestria to Iron Ore. You in there?”

“What? Oh,” said Iron breaking out of his stupor. “Um, I think I’ll just leave now. Nice to meet you, Miss Pie.” Pinkie giggled.

“’Miss Pie.’ That’s so-” She stopped and gasped loudly. “You’re new in town!”

“Yeah, so?”

“You’re new and I haven’t thrown you a party yet!” She started hitting herself on the head with her hoof. “Oh, stupid Pinkie Pie! I’m such a bad party pony!”

“What are you talking about?” asked Iron now more confused than before.

“Gotta go, Iron!” said Pinkie. “Lots to plan! Thanks for bringing the pastries!” She slammed the door in Iron’s face before he could reply. He just stood there and blinked a couple times in confusion

“What just happened?”

***

Iron’s next delivery found him in the Everfree Forest. Having no desire to be back in the mysterious woods longer than he needed to be, he quickly and carefully followed the directions Applejack gave him to the home of his next customer. He saw a house made inside the base of a tree. “Interesting design.” He knocked on the door and was greeted by a zebra.

“Hello, Ma’am,” greeted Iron politely. “Are you Zecora?”

“I am,” she replied.

“I’m Iron Ore. I have some apples to deliver.”

“Ah, yes, I have been expecting these,” replied the zebra. “Bring them in if you please.” Iron nodded and unhitched himself from the wagon. He brought two large baskets of apples inside. He gave a loud whistle when he saw all the masks and potions in the small house.

“What is all this stuff?” asked Iron.

“Potions and brews that I concoct,” answered Zecora. “You can set the apples by the pot.” Iron nodded and set the apple by the cauldron in the middle of the room.

“May I ask why one zebra needs all these apples?” Zecora picked an apple out of one of the baskets.

“I’m experimenting with them for some of my brews,” she said tossing the apple into the cauldron. She picked up another apple and took a bite. “They make good snacks too,” she followed up after she swallowed. Iron chuckled. Zecora looked at him for a moment as if studying him. She grabbed a spoon and started stirring what was in the pot. “Now a question for you, Iron Ore.” Iron raised a brow. “What is it that makes your poor heart sore?”

“What?” asked Iron taking a step back. “What makes you ask?”

“You’re eyes seem sad and your head hangs low,” she observed. “A weary heart is very hard to tow.” Iron just turned around and started to leave.

“I’m fine how I am,” he said. “Enjoy your apples, Miss Zecora.” Zecora only nodded in response as he left. As Iron pulled the cart back into town, Zecora’s words rang through his head. He quickly lifted his head up when he noticed he was staring at the ground.

***

After delivering some jam to Filthy Rich, Iron looked at his list. As he scanned the list, he noticed a place called Carousel Boutique. He remembered Applejack telling him her friend was the owner and that she could fix up his old cloak if he wanted to. Iron looked over his shoulder into the cart. His old raggedy cloak sat in the middle of the cart all rolled up.

“Well. . .I guess it couldn't hurt,” he said with a shrug. He walked over to the boutique, again unhitched himself from the wagon, and grabbed his cloak from the wagon putting on his back still rolled up. The bell above the door rang as he walked inside. The room was empty. “Um, hello?” Iron called out. He walked in a little further looking at the various dresses on mannequins. He was never one for fashion but there was a certain flair to these outfits he found interesting. Whoever this pony was, she must be very good.

“Oh, hello there,” greeted a voice behind him. Iron turned around and saw a white unicorn with a blue mane waking down the stairs. “I’m sorry I didn't hear you come in.”

“That’s alright, Miss,” said Iron.

“So is there something I can do for you, Sir?” asked the unicorn.

“Actually, I was told you might be able to fix this.” Iron grabbed his cloak letting it unroll while it hung from his mouth. The unicorn took the cloak from him with her magic and looked it over. Besides the tears from the Timberwolf fight that he never got patched up, there was some wear and tear from old age and overuse. It was also rather dirty.

“Hmm. . .” The unicorn bit her lower lip and looked a little appalled by the filthy state of the cloak. “I’m not sure I can fix this,” she told him. “I could easily make you a new cloak. Something elegant and grand! Why I could-”

“Um, actually, Miss?”

“Rarity.”

“Miss Rarity. I’d rather you just fix this one,” said Iron. “I’ve had it for a long time and I like it. Call me sentimental I guess.” Rarity looked at him like he was crazy for a moment before sighing.

“Well, far be it from me to take away something of sentimental value,” she said with a smile. “Still, it won’t be an easy task. I’ll tell you what. I’ll hang onto this and do my best to make it look just as nice as the day you first got it. Perhaps even better. When I’m finished I’ll have it sent to you. Where exactly do you live?”

“I’m staying at Sweet Apple Acres at the moment,” said Iron.

“Oh, you’re Applejack’s new helper.” Rarity looked him over and smirked. “I can see why she’d want to have you around,” she said under her breath.

“What was that?”

“Oh, nothing,” said Rarity rolling up the cloak. Iron shrugged and started to leave. “I’ll get this to you as soon as possible, Mr?”

“Iron Ore.”

“Right. See you soon Mr. Ore.”

***

Iron headed to his next location whistling a little tune as he walked. His next location took him to the library which turned out to be. . .another tree?

“These ponies have the strangest taste in housing,” Iron muttered to himself as he knocked on the door.

“Just a minute,” came a voice from inside. He looked up at the tree library smiling slightly at the irony of the idea. These ponies have strange taste in buildings. Finally, the door opened revealing a small purple dragon.

“And even stranger residents.”

“What?” asked the dragon.

“Nothing.” Iron looked at the dragon and then into the library. “So. . .do you run this place?” The dragon laughed.

“No way, I’m just a kid,” he said. “Princess Twilight is the librarian.” Before Iron could respond, he saw a purple alicorn walking down the steps.

“Spike, who is it?” she asked.

“Some pony with a cart,” answered Spike. Twilight walked up to the doorway and smiled at Iron.

“Hello,” she greeted. “Can I help you?” Iron was speechless. He had never met a princess before and had no idea what he was supposed to do. He took a deep breath before speaking.

“My name is Iron Ore, Your Majesty!” announced Iron almost shouting. He stood at his full height and was completely rigid. Spike fell on the floor laughing while Twilight put a hoof over her mouth to try and hide her giggling. Iron blushed feeling like a fool. Twilight managed to regain her composure before speaking.

“You can relax, Iron,” she said. “And you can just call me ‘Twilight.’ There’s no need to be so formal.” Iron relaxed a bit. He looked at Spike who was still laughing. Twilight nudged him with a hoof. “Spike, don’t be rude!” she scolded. Spike stood up and did his best to stop laughing. “I’m sorry about that, Iron,” apologized Twilight.

“N-No need to apologize,” said Iron still a little embarrassed. “I have some deliveries from Sweet Apple Acres I’m supposed to deliver.” Immediately, Spike stopped laughing and his mouth started watering.

“My pies are here!” he shouted excitedly. He ran to the back of the cart and jumped in. Iron could hear him chewing on something.

“Hey, what are you doing back there?!” asked Iron.

“Spike!” shouted Twilight. She used her magic to lift up the baby dragon. He was holding an apple pie that had gems baked into it. “Sorry, about that,” Twilight apologized looking embarrassed. Spike didn't seem to notice or care at being held in the air.

“Hey, Twilight,” he said. “Turns out gems and apples can go together in a pie!” He then proceeded to shove the entire pie (including the tin it came in) into his mouth. Twilight sighed and put him down on the floor.

“So, um, I think that was all I had to bring,” said Iron more than a little confused. He looked at the dragon licking his fingers. “He eats gems?”

“It’s a dragon thing,” explained Twilight. Iron just nodded.

“This town just keeps getting weirder.”

“You get used to it,” Twilight assured him.

“If you say so.” Iron turned to leave. “Bye, Twilight. It was. . .interesting to meet you two.” Twilight smiled and nodded.

“Nice meeting you too,” she called after him as he walked away.

“Gem eating dragons and an alicorn librarian,” Iron muttered to himself. “And yet, I get the feeling that’s not the strangest thing this town has to offer.”

***

Iron stood outside of town looking at his list. Apparently, his next stop was the schoolhouse. However, he was having trouble reading the writing. Something had smudged the ink on the paper.

“Look out!” somepony shouted in the distance. Iron didn’t pay any attention. "Hey, I said look-Oof!" Suddenly, he felt something ram into his side. He was barely knocked a couple inches before he managed to regain his footing. He looked to his right and saw a blue pegasus sitting on the ground, her eyes rolling around in her head.

“Are you okay?” asked Iron. The pegasus quickly shook her head a couple times to get rid of the dizziness.

“Yeah, I’m good,” she said getting to her feet. “Sorry about that.”

“Eh, didn’t really feel it,” said Iron.

“Seriously?” asked the surprised pegasus. “I’ve cracked rocks by running into them at that speed.” She poked Iron’s side. “Geez, you’re all muscle aren’t you big guy?” She walked around to his other side and noticed his scars. “Wow. Glad I didn’t hit this side. That’d probably hurt.”

“Yeah, probably.”

“Where’d you get them?”

“Timberwolves.”

“Timberwolves? As in more than one?”

“Three actually,” said Iron with a smirk. The pegasus stared at him mouth agape.

“That’s. . .awesome!” She hovered in the air so she was eye level with him. “Dude, who are you?”

“Name’s Iron Ore. And you are?” It was the pegasus turn to smirk as she flew up into the air.

“They call me Rainbow Dash!” she said striking a dynamic pose. “You’re future member of the Wonderbolts!”

“Impressive,” said Iron trying to sound interested. He had no idea who the Wonderbolts were but they sounded important. Rainbow landed in front of him.

“So, Iron Ore,” she began, “you some kind of athlete or something? Bet you’d be killer in hoofball or pro-wrestling or something.” Iron laughed a bit.

“Nah, I’ve never been too into sports,” he said.

“Then what do you do?” asked Rainbow.

“Well, right now what I’m doing is trying to figure out where the schoolhouse is,” he explained. He looked at his list again. “I can’t read the writing though.”

“I can show you,” offered Rainbow.

“Really?”

“Yeah, sure.” Rainbow flew up above him. “Consider it my way of making up into ramming into you like that.” Iron shrugged.

“Alright,” he said following Rainbow. “Lead the way.”

***

Rainbow Dash led Iron to the school. She said a quick goodbye before heading off to continue practicing her stunts. Iron walked up to the school and saw the foals playing outside. He noticed Apple Bloom who ran up to him along with a white unicorn and orange pegasus.

“Howdy, Iron!” greeted Apple Bloom.

“Hey there,” he greeted back. He looked the pegasus and unicorn fillies who were staring at him in awe.

“Wow, Apple Bloom you were right!” said the pegasus. “He’s a giant!”

“I don’t know about that,” said Iron.

“He really does look like a pirate,” said the unicorn. Iron forced himself not to grumble in annoyance. He hated it when ponies pointed out his patch.

“Um, Apple Bloom?” asked Iron. “Who are these two?”

“This is Sweetie Bell,” said Apple Bloom pointing to the unicorn.

“Hello,” greeted Sweetie Bell. Apple Bloom pointed at the pegasus.

"And this is Sctootaloo," she introduced.

“Hiya!” greeted Scootaloo excitedly.

“Nice to meet you,” said Iron Ore. He looked at Apple Bloom. “So, why exactly am I here?”

“Oh, you have the apple cupcakes and cider Granny and Ah made for Scootaloo’s birthday,” explained Apple Bloom.

“Really?!” squealed Scootaloo hovering in the air for a bit.

“Granny and Ah made enough for the whole class,” said Apple Bloom. She turned around and shouted to the other foals. “Hey, ya’ll, there are cupcakes and cider!” Soon Iron found himself surrounded on all sides by hungry colts and fillies.

“Whoa, settle down!” said Iron.

“Alright, my little ponies, give the nice stallion some space,” said a purple mare as she approached the crowd. The foals stood back giving Iron some space.

“Yes, Miss Cheerilee,” they all said. Iron looked at Apple Bloom.

“Want to help me pass these out?” he asked.

“Okay!” said the filly happily. Iron unhitched himself from the wagon and went around to the back of the cart. He and Apple Bloom got all the snacks passed out to the class then everyone sang Happy Birthday to Scootaloo. Iron noticed there was an extra cupcake and cider in the cart.

“Did we miss somepony?” he asked.

“No, that’s fer you,” Apple Bloom told him. Iron raised a brow. “Granny and Ah made an extra in case you wanted a snack.” Iron smiled and sat in the back of the cart to enjoy his sweets. Apple Bloom sat next to him. “So how was yer day? Did you get to meet a lot of ponies?”

“Some,” said Iron. He took a bite of his cupcake and followed it down with some cider. “The townsponies are. . .interesting.”

“They’re a lot of fun though.”

“Yeah,” said Iron. A smiled crept its way onto his face. “Yeah, I guess they are.” Sweetie Bell and Scootaloo joined the two of them.

“Thanks for the sweets, Apple Bloom!” said Scootaloo. “And thanks for bringing them, Iron Ore!”

“No, problem,” said Iron.

“C’mon, girls, let’s go plan on are next crusade!” said Apple Bloom. The three fillies ran off leaving Iron to himself. He finished off his sweets and got ready to head back to the farm. He was done for today and ready for some rest.

***

Iron walked down the path leading to Sweet Apple Acres anxious to be rid of the rickety cart he had been pulling around all day. He made a mental note to ask if he could fix it later. In the distance, he saw a yellow pegasus hovering by a tree. As he got closer, he saw a cat stuck up in the tree.

“Oh, please come down little kitty,” pleaded the pegasus.

“Problem, Miss?” asked Iron. The pegasus jumped at Iron’s voice. She landed in front of him.

“O-Oh, well, u-um,” she stuttered trying to hide behind her mane. “That cat got herself stuck in the tree and I can’t get her down.”

“Um, couldn’t you just fly up there and grab her?” suggested Iron.

“No,” said the pegasus shaking her head. “You see, she’s very scared. Every time I go up there she tries to scratch at me.” Iron looked at the cat. She was shaking in fear and was clinging to the branch she was on for dear life.

“I have an idea,” said Iron.

“Oh?”

“You fly up there and I’ll distract her so you can get close enough to grab her.”

“Wh-what do you have in mind?” asked the pegasus clearly worried.

“Just trust me,” said Iron. He gave her a reassuring smile. “I promise she’ll be okay.” The pegasus smiled back at him.

“Alright. M-My name’s Fluttershy by the way. Y-You know, if you were curious.” Iron refrained from chuckling at how timid this mare was.

“I’m Iron Ore. Now just fly on up there.” Fluttershy nodded and started to fly up to the cat. Iron walked up to the tree. He reared up on his hind legs and slammed the tree as hard as he could with his forehooves. The tree shook causing the cat to lose her grip. Fluttlershy grabbed her before she could fall.

“It’s okay,” she cooed. “I’ve got you. You’re safe.” The cat squirmed and hissed scratching Fluttershy in the face. Iron winced at the sight. Fluttershy didn’t seem fazed as she gently held the cat and stroked her back. The feline began to calm down and curl up against Fluttershy as she landed.

“Are you alright?” asked Iron looking at the scratch under Fluttershy’s eye.

“I’ll be fine. It’s just a little scratch,” she assured him. “I’m just glad this little one is safe.” She nuzzled the cat causing it to purr. Iron couldn't help but smile.“Thanks for helping me Iron.”

“You’re welcome,” said Iron walking away. “Maybe I can get back to the farm without incident now,” he muttered under his breath.

***

Iron finally made it back to the farm. As he headed to the barn, Applejack approached him.

“There ya are,” she said. “Ah was startin’ to think you got yerself lost.” Iron shook his head.

“No, I managed,” he said. “Just ended up with a couple more stops than I expected.”

“Well, now that yer back, I need you at the barn. Just leave the cart here fer now.” Iron didn’t argue as he finally rid himself of the cart.

“So what do you need me at the barn for?” he asked.

“You’ll see,” said Applejack with a smirk. Iron started getting tense. He hated surprises.

“No, seriously, what is it?”

“Just calm down,” said Applejack. “It ain’t nothin’ bad.” The two reached the barn door and Applejack opened it. “Go on in.” Iron looked at her and then into the dark barn.

“What are-”

“Just get in the barn!” she snapped.

“Alright, I’m going, I'm going,” said Iron as he walked in. Applejack followed shutting the door behind them. “Is there a light or something? It’s pitch black in here.” Suddenly, the barn was filled with bright light.

“SURPRISE!” shouted a group of ponies.

“Ah!” shouted Iron stumbling backwards. He would have bumped into Applejack if she hadn’t moved in time. “What is this?” In the barn was everypony that he had met during the day as well as a few others that he hadn’t. Pinkie Pie bounced up to him.

“This is your ‘Welcome to Ponyville’ party, silly!” she told him.

“My what now?”

“I told you this earlier, remember?” asked Pinkie. “You’re a new pony in town and I hadn’t thrown you a party yet.” Iron was still confused.

“Think of it as everypony’s way of welcoming you,” said Applejack. Iron looked at all the ponies in the barn. They had all shown up for him?

“I-I don’t know what to say,” said Iron.

“Then don’t say anything!” said Pinkie. “Talking at parties is boring anyway. C’mon I have a bunch of fun games planned!” Before Iron could respond, the party pony had grabbed his hoof and dragged him to one of the games she had set up.

Iron couldn’t remember the last time he had so much fun or had so much cake. After a while, he finally found a bale of hay to sit on to let his stomach settle. He found it awkward when the other ponies would come up to him just to talk and get to know him. He wasn’t used to having this much attention. Well, this much positive attention anyhow. Still, strange as it was, Iron found it comforting. These ponies were going out of there way jut to get to know a stranger and make him feel welcome. Applejack walked up to him with his cloak and gave it to him.

"Rarity patched this up fer ya," she told him. Iron unrolled the cloak and looked it over.

"It's. . .wow," was all he could say. It looked brand new. All clean and no tears. Rarity even added a hood, some gold colored trimming around the edges of the cloak, and an image of his Cutie Mark in the center of it. "I'll have to thank her for this later."

"Why not now?" asked Applejack. Iron put a hoof over his stomach.

“Still feel a little sick,” he replied. “I don’t think I ever want to eat another slice of cake again.”

“Ah warned ya,” Applejack told him. Iron chuckled.

“Yeah, yeah, don’t rub it in.”

“So, how was your first day around Ponyville?”

“It was. . .kind of weird actually,” said Iron. “But a good weird. Better than where I came from that’s for sure.”

“That right?” Iron nodded. Applejack smiled. “Well, Ah’m glad ya’ll are enjoyin’ yer stay. Think ya might stick around even after ya’ll have worked off your debt?” Iron smiled.

“Yeah, I think I might.”

Author's Note:

Okay, finally got this done. I was having some troubling editing this so if there are typos please point them out.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it.