• Published 3rd May 2014
  • 3,735 Views, 65 Comments

The Last Man - YoloSwagginz



There is but one human left in all of exsitence, and when he is unpetrified amongst a world of uncertainty what must he do?

  • ...
16
 65
 3,735

Chapter 4: Hard Truths

Author's Note:

I just want to mention that I will not be back to my compter until next tuesday, hopefully this chapter will make a good placeholder. I might be able to write another chapter before then, but no promises. I wanted to add that at a certain point in this chapter a certain song comes to mind. If you are capable of listening to music as well as reading, I think this song will merely inhance the experience. The song is called "Dark Souls - I Had A Name" . When you find this symbol ^ play so freely. If you do not wish to, there is no problem.

The Last Man

Chapter 4: Hard Truths

By: YoloSwagginz

*Knock knock*... "Rainbow Dash, hello?" *Knocking continues* "Rainbow Dash!"

"Huh, What?"

In the halls and rooms of a particular cloud house, was the sharp sound of knocking. The knocking was not unusual but rather annoying. That same knocking stirred a certain creature from a long needed slumber. That creature was of course Rainbow Dash, and she wasn't exactly in the mood for visitors.

"Keep your shoes on!" yelled Rainbow Dash. "Who the hey is knocking? It's like uh, 12:00 in the afternoon."

Rainbow stood up and arched her back, which was then followed by a long yawn. She looked at the door in mild confusion, and then realized she had fallen asleep right next to it. Her hoof pushed the nob down and the door cracked open. Before the door had fully opened Dash realized she was still wearing the rusted old collar and chain. Her quick thought was interrupted by Twilight Sparkle's presence. The purple alicorn pushed the door open fully and Dash backed away. Twilight's expression was visibly brightened by the sight of Dash.

"Rainbow Dash, were have you been? and what is that around your neck?"

Rainbow Dash was too tired to think of a good excuse, so she simply said, "I was testing it?" This statement was not taken very seriously and it didn't seem to bother Twilight too much. So she simply walked over and gave Dash a hug.

"Hey Twi, sorry I haven't been around, I was uh, in Cloudsdale. Nice of you to come and visit me!"

"No problem Dash, everyone was wondering where you were, It's been two days since anyone has seen you. So I thought you might be sleeping, so here I am!"

"Yeah like I said. Anyways. Whats been happening in Ponyville? I was just back visiting my parents."

"Well nothing much, but you missed Pinkie's Saturday party."

"Oh, yeah I guess I should have told someone I was going huh?"

"No it's fine Dash, are you okay with that thing around your neck, you look a little rough?"

"Yeah you know, I... Was strength training with this collar. Flying against it and trying to break it..." Rainbow Dash took her hoof and pushed the dismembered chain into view. "As you can see, It wasn't awesome enough for me!"

Twilight rolled her eyes and laughed. "Yeah, That's for sure... How are you going to take it off?"

"Uh maybe you could break it with your magic?" Dash said with a smile.

Twilight's purple aura surrounded the chain and she started tugging on the metal in all different directions. The collar gave way and fell through the floor. "Oops, hope that doesn't hit somepony!" Twilight said with a start.

"I'm sure it's fine" retorted Dash "You want something to eat?"

Twilight nodded indifferently and said "I'm fine, but thanks Dash. But maybe we could go hang out with the girls today. Would you join us at the Library around 3:00, we're going to plan a sleep over?"

Dash quickly replied with "Of course! Just let me wash up and I'll meet you guys in a little while."

Twilight smiled with an "Okay, see you then Dash"

Rainbow Dash gave a wave as Twilight took flight from off of her cloud. She turned to her kitchen and walked in. She grabbed an old carrot off the counter and started to eat it slowly. Her thoughts started drifting to that strange thing she had spent been the last two days with. "I wonder if he is okay?" she thought...

----------

"All so bloody unfamiliar" Jan thought with a note of panic. "This is the way I think... Yes... wait? Is it so? Jan was now some ways away from that freakish cow, and was now leaving the forest in search of home. Jan was holding up his map onto a tree looking at it in confusion.

"Bloody Hell!" I swore aloud. "This map was never wrong before!?" I turned the quill in my hand a couple times and kept looking at the scenery which so laughed at my face. Foul trees, playing tricks on me I suppose. I think walking in a northern direction is best, or...

I put the quill back into my hard pack and my map as well. I felt very frustrated and was feeling a little defeated. I looked at the quail on my hip and started to think of eating. Ah no, I thought, I should bring it back to my family in one piece. Hmm this path will have to suffice I guess. I walked down a beautifully arranged path through the very same woods I should have left hours ago. I did walk for quite a while until I came upon... The Old Stone Bridge! Ah this was a landmark I could never forget! Good and bad memories from this old place. As I strolled across the bridge it became obvious to me that It was not the same. This place looked a lot more, used perhaps? Some stones here and there were missing and the rest was obviously worn down.

"Ah! Bollocks! This bloody bridge was made but 10 years ago!" How has it come to look so old?

I remembered the very masons that built this thing? It is in such disrepair. As I walked even more so to were KuhlValans should be I started to develop a strange feeling. The thoughts of the past events were starting to fall together, and as each wicked puzzle piece started aligning they all pointed to the same strange thought. Have I been gone for long?

^ The river was different. Even the ground was different... This wasn't right at all. I looked over at were a fallow field should have stood and were the merchant's stand was once placed. There, now stood a thick stand of trees were once there was a pub. My throat started tightening in fear. I looked around again, and thought that perhaps this was the wrong place. My legs started to carry me into the direction of my father's farm house. I started walking faster until I went into a dead sprint. The thought of missing everyone was flowing through my head like the waters of a broken dam. My breath started to catch me and when I made it over the hill, I looked hopefully into the valley were my farm.... I started walking slowly towards the general direction starring directly were the farm had always been. My heart was in my throat now and my vision was immediately blocked by tears of pure sorrow. Sobs started escaping from my body... I walked into the direction still... feeling sick..

"noo..No...*sobs*.. no...." NOOOO!!!

I fell to my knees and sobbed harder than I have ever before. My whole body shaking as I recognized the cobble stone foundation of the barn... My hands started shaking and I looked at the steel wrapping my fingers. My hands looked distorted through all the tears.

"nooo... NO! my blithering sadness turned into blinding rage! I stood and took my helmet whipping it across the wheat into a bush.

My heart was broken. I threw my retched longsword to the ground and took my bow and tossed it into the air. I looked up into the dark sky crying tears of rage and sorrow.

"GODS... Why have you forsaken me??"

I looked down at my self and grabbed the dagger from it's sheath across my chest. I held it onto my neck feeling it's sharpness... I dropped it and fell to the ground blithering the whole time... It started raining in the wild field...
^ (stop song)

----------

"Oh my gosh! It's Dashie!!" Squealed Pinkie Pie

Rainbow Dash flew down into the library and landed on the ground, seconds later she was ambushed by Pinkie. The pair tumbling happily into AppleJack. Rainbow Dash gave Pinkie a huge hug and laughed at the sight of all her friends.

"Watch it there miss Dash" AppleJack said playfully.

Everyone laughed together and Rainbow Dash was glad she was back. Pinkie Pie took no time in questioning her disappearance.

"What the hey Dash? Did you get lost at your house? Did you see your parents? Were you struck by lighting? Wer--"

"Pinkie! Give it a rest already, I was--"

"Give it a rest? I haven't seen you in two days!" Yelled Pinkie in astonishment.

Dash simply laughed and pushed Pinkie off her. Turning to the group.

"Oh, Dash, you simply must have told us! Why, you missed Pinkie's party! Rarity exclaimed

"Yeah yeah, I just went out to see my parents, no biggy right?"

"Not at all!" said Twilight "We're happy your back already!"

"Yes we we're so worried!" said FlutterShy smiling innocently at Dash.

"Ah sorry guys I didn't mean to scare you.." The guilt of lying was starting to get to Dash.

"No problem, let's get started planning our sleep over!" Said Twilight prancing with excitement "I've already planned an exciting night!"

"Alright!" the group echoed.

----------

My breath was calm, and I was on my back... What I saw above me was not a normal sight. In fact this was normal at all. There was clouds, more beautiful then I had ever seen. Golden rays beaming through the air, and the sound of soft wind. I began to sit up and noticed that I was sitting on a cloud, in full armour. Normally I would have been scared from wits, but no. This felt right. I slowly stood up and all the sorrow and pain from before was just something to laugh at. I looked around and everything was calm. I turned slowly, to the sound of wings softly beating the wind. I looked up and was met with a sight I hadn't seen in a while. It was my sister. She slowly floated down to my with large black wings on her back grace in every movement, and a smile across her face looking lovingly at me. Her arms reached out to me as she got close and I reached up to grab her hands. I pulled her down to my height.

"Sister..."

"Brother" she said warmly, "It has been long since we have spoken."

I looked at my sister with a kind heart, and said "You look more beautiful than ever. Where is father and the others?"

She smiled "Oh Jan, do not worry of them, they are safe"

I held her at arms length and brought her into a hug. I wanted to weep, but alas, I was too much at peace.

"Jan I'm here to tell you, we are fine... And so are you... We want you to live life and not think of death.."

"Ah but sister... I am alone"

"In the waking world this is true, but we are waiting for you... Just live and be happy..."

She slowly started drifting from me but I made no effort to stop her. If you had seen this sight it would have been interesting to say the least. There on a cloud, stood a gloomy looking knight, covered in dirt and mud, with a long white slash mark across the face. He holding his arms up to a beautiful angel, with fully fledged black wings... It was magnificent...

*Thunder*

My eyes flew open to the sound of a massive storm overhead. The sky was dark and the rain was pelting me. I sat up and smiled. This smile was one of mixed emotions to be sure. I was definitely happy now, but I was still alone. I could not help but still be thankful for the life I had now. This spurred me to be somewhat excited.

"Oh gods it was good to be alive!"

I quickly got to my feet and threw my hands into the air laughing joyfully out loud, thunder booming only seconds after my standing. I am alive! It is good to be mortal. It is so simple! I put my hands down and laughed again.

"Thank you gods!" I yelled.

I started gathering my stuff and look around. There next to my sword was a blue feather. I picked it up and looked at it with happy eyes. I know were I must go now!

"To Ponyville!" I yelled into the storm, sword raised.

I quickly gathered my things and bowed to the thunder and lighting, starting another run. I was full of excitement and joy when I got to the river. For there was a boat! Full of light and sounds, it was slowly floating down the river and smelled of incense...

-----------

Rainbow Dash was now comfortably sitting with all of her friends in the main part of the library, and AppleJack was finishing her scary story. She finished with a jump and a yell, and Pinkie went flying! Everyone laughed as Pinkie sat there acting extremely scared.

"Come on Pinkie, heh heh, that story only scares the fillies!" Proclaimed AppleJack laughing at her usual antics.

Everyone was doing good and the story was now up to Dash. She decided to tell a story about a weird creature that roamed through the Everfree, attempting to help anyone innocent. She went through describing the creature and talked with fascination all the while the storm booming outside. The story would have been scary if the creature had been mean, but no he was a good fellow and wouldn't harm anyone. As Dash told the story everyone was enthralled. It seemed pretty original and everyone was listening closely. As the story progressed Twilight started thinking of something that she read in a book that described the creature Dash was talking about.

"Wait girls! Dash I think I know what the animal in your story is!" Twilight said smartly "Hold on" Twilight ran over to a book case and pulled a very old book off of it. Her magic quickly cleaning any remnants of dust. She opened the book to a page in the middle and brought it over to her friends. There on the old yellow paper was the drawing of a hideous creature that stood on two legs and held a metal stick. On it's head was a copper pot and it had weird hair growing of it's face.

"Woe!" the group said together

Dash sat there with suspicious eyes and said "That's not what it looks like? That looks all mean and evil?"

"Well Rainbow, this is a very old book of mythical creatures...I think that you're making a story about this thing. It's a... What is it?

"A human" replied Dash.

"Wow, have you taken this book before Dash? The only person who borrows this book is that mint coloured mare, Lyra."

----------