• Published 3rd May 2014
  • 3,737 Views, 65 Comments

The Last Man - YoloSwagginz



There is but one human left in all of exsitence, and when he is unpetrified amongst a world of uncertainty what must he do?

  • ...
16
 65
 3,737

Chapter 7: Farmlands and Tombs

The Last Man

Chapter 7: Farmlands and Tombs

By: YoloSwagginz

Rainbow Dash looked at the fainted knight through eyes of laughter and with some strange affection. This one was pretty funny, and sometimes, he even looked cool. But now he had fainted? Rainbow Dash was slightly shocked that the same human she had met in the forest weeks ago was now fainting in front of her... Just by the mere Sight of her?

After Yulis had loaded his barrels and Applejack had gotten her fair share of amusement, they then decided what was to be done with the human. Yulis looked at him and scratched his long chin with a claw,

"I think you two should take him for now, I have another trade to attend to... and I will be gone for quite some time for this..."

Rainbow didn't think twice before accepting Yulis' offer, and the barrels of cider had slipped her mind completely. She just wanted to show this human to her friends, not only as proof, but he was so interesting that she would probably be considered some sort of adventurer for finding him. Almost like Daring Do!

Applejack looked him over a second and said with a challenge,

"He looks pretty heavy, but I reckon he aint nothin' the old wagon can't handle"

Rainbow just shook her head with a smile and helped Yulis dump him into the cart... It didn't take long for them to be off and heading for Applejack's farm.

----------

My awakening was that of a slow one and it did not take my body long to tell me that my neck hurt. My head ache was not too far behind in the race either. And while I assessed my physical being I noticed that I was moving or being pulled by something. I adjusted my neck and pulled my dangling foot off over the side of the wagon with some caution. I took a breath and started to sit up as well as remember my acquisition to this spot. I looked around and then saw I was being pulled by the orange pony with a hat, I had decided not to burden the creature and so I verily hopped off the cart and onto the road. She had taken notice and immediately stopped.

"Hey there sugercube, 'thought you would be sleepin all the way back."

I gave a deep bow to her and then pulled off my helm.

"Good day to you madam, I see that I was unconscious in your cart and I hope you will forgive me, I also wonder now, where are we off to?"

"Well actually big fella, we were heading for Ponyville and we should be there in about 5 minutes. That is, if we continue walkin"

"Ah, that is no problem, let us continue, but where is Rainbow Dash? She was here not long ago am I correct?"

"Yeah, she flew ahead to tell everyone, and your dragon buddy had to sail to another part of the river"

With slight regret I realized that I had forgotten my crossbow... Which now belonged to Yulis...

"I suspect he'll be around he said he would be back..."

"Very well, shall we?"

"Hold on there sport, whats yer name?"

We started walking and as we did so, I introduced myself and felt that this creature was fairly friendly. She had also given her name, which was strange to the tongue, but with some practice I quickly mastered her name. The walk did not last very long before Applejack started to ask me questions.

"Excuse me Mr.Jan, but how the hay do you walk around on two feet? It looks mighty strange and I reckon pretty uncomfortable..."

"Well, you may be surprised applej..ack Apple... excuse me. Applejack, it is quite comfortable, and I imagine it is simply my species that finds it so easy to walk on two feet. I would ask you the same question but coming off that logic, it is really how your born. Do you know?

Applejack looked him over and watched him balance and walk forward.

"Yeah I see your point there Jan, I mean spike walks with two legs but he has a tail to balance him, all I'm sayin', is that it looks like a lot of work keeping yourself upright like that."

"Hah, yes I see your point. Though I know not of this Spike"

For a second I considered crawling on all fours as some sort of practical joke, but my judgement said it would have been rude. So I simply kept plodding forward with the Applejack until we came upon a farm or an orchard rather. The amount of apple trees was interesting, for I had never seen so many in one place. They spanned across for leagues and every tree's apples looked perfect. "Impressive" I said aloud.

"Is this your orchard Applejack?"

To this she smiled and held her head high, and while pulling the cart she looked over with pride and said,

"Waell, This is my families farm, and you wont see another place quite like it, we've got the best apples you'll ever try and I reckon you could taste them yerself, and find that you havent tasted anything sweeter. Why I don't even think them cherries could produce a more fantastic-"

At this moment, the Applejack's words were starting to elude me and it was hard to understand what she was so excited about. In fact she kept talking until we came to the barn door. She finished with a rearing and was pretty worked up. I put on a smile and nodded pretending to understand her entire rant.

"Perhaps an apple would be nice, I think what you said has, convinced me..?" I gave a look of questioning and then she started to unhitch her cart. I then started to stretch my back and twist and turn.

As I twisted the familiar voice of the Rainbow Dash was present.

"Hah, still awake champ? I thought you would be out when I got here!"

I turned and nervously smiled,

"Ah yes, good greetings to you Rainbow Dash, I apologize for fainting earlier, I uh...Was hung over?"

Rainbow Dash floated not far from Jan with a wide look. She hesitated and then instantly exploded into laughter...

"Hung over? Wow Jan I knew you were weird, but come on, you were drunk! AAhhaha!"

I felt as if an arrow had pierced my ego and thought of defending myself until Applejack stood beside my with a smirk,

"I wouldn't be talkin there Ms.Dash, I reckon your the biggest buyer of my cider every year, and Don't you forget now! Last time I had to call th-"

"Alright alright! You made your point Jackie."

I stood there awkwardly and pushed my sword hilt around my waist belt. Dash then came softly to the ground.

"Well Twilight and the rest should be here any minute. I guess we could like, sit down or something."

With a smile Applejack said "Good idea Dash, I think havin company would be a great idea, lets go into the kitchen I bet I could wip some coffee up."

The idea did sound pretty good, and I was in the mood for eating. I followed my host in and watched Rainbow Dash's tail swish back and forth in front of me, it was strangely mesmerizing...

----------

The boat slowly eased back and forth against the shore and looked just as beautiful as it had the day Yulis had won it back in Kooark. The red and gold paint still looked new and it filled the young dragon with pride. Yulis stood and admired the ship. His attention was broken by the sound of birds chirping. He turned and looked deep into the dark forest, the scent of rabbit and plant life filling his nostrils. Yulis was pretty confident that he would find this crypt, and was unreasonably excited as well. He tugged at one of his whiskers and the adjusted the copper plates strewn across his chest. As he started walking into the undergrowth he tipped his spear forward and then fiddled with a map in his leather rucksack. It did not take long for Yulis to find the place the riddle spoke of. He clicked to himself softly in revelation, and was again reminded he was the best tracker, entrepreneur, sailor, gambler, swimmer, archer, drinker he had ever known.

Looking around on the ground he had found the onyx colored door he had hoped to see. Taking his claws he quickly scraped the dirt from the locking mechanism and then blew into the key hole. Again digging more dirt out, he started to pull out a long black key that looked ages old. He then pushed the key and gave a twist in several directions, until a satisfying "clink" erupted from the lock. Yulis put the key back into the rucksack and smiled to himself. He pulled the heavy stone out of the ground and moved it aside to look deep into a dark tunnel. On the edges of the inner rim there were human writings engraved into the stone.

"Too bad Jan isn't here, he could read these." Yulis thought

Yulis slowly and carefully descended into the vertical tunnel all the while allowing his eyes to adjust to the dimness. All the old steel rungs were completely rusted out, and were a hazard, not to be trusted. It did not take long for Yulis to make it to the bottom. giving a glance up into the light, he hoped nothing would follow him down. Yulis hung close to the ground and started to unravel an old tome from cloth. He read the first three lines of the book and a dull golden light started to from on top of the book. It started to move and then attuned itself to Yulis. He put the book away and started to load Jan's funny crossbow.

"Jan will have this back soon enough, I just needed it for this part."

Yulis was about to start into the gloom when he was nearly launched by the sound of a crow's call. He turned to the hole in the tunnel ceiling and looked to see his mischievous bird Sobel. Yulis started giving his dear pet stern words,

"Back to the ship with you, you black menace!"

The crow looked down the hole and responded with a loud "Caw!"

"Sobel! Get you! Get! fly!"

Yulis was going to start laughing at his bird when the loud echoing sound of a high pitch scream issued from the end of the pitch black tunnel... He hadn't expected there to be too many of them here, but he supposed it would be...

~If you had really keen eyes, better eyes then Yulis here, you would see a small skeletal creature limp away from a carved doorway about 500 meters into the horizontal tunnel...

----------

At this moment in time, at a castle in Canterlot, a black colored alicorn wakes suddenly and calmly. She knows that something is wrong and that consulting her sister would be wise. It had something to do with people. She almost shivered in the thought, but quickly hurried into her sisters room...

----------

At the center of the room was one flustered Jan, he looked red and was obviously not used to all the energy flowing from the ponies. He sat there with both hands on the table and trying his best to deflect as many questions as possible from the continuously interested Twilight Sparkle. She was very persistent in fact, so persistent that Jan was sure she was going to freeze him into stone. This made him very nervous and he was pretty sure he was to throw up soon.

The pink one was the worst, she had made me laugh but she was very loud and all together too much. The white one was calm and friendly and was inspecting me the whole time, talking aloud about clothes. Applejack stood at the table arguing with Rainbow Dash and there was a yellowish pony hiding in the other room. Worst of all was this alicorn creature with both front legs on the table. Demanding questions and making me very nervous. I took a breath and composed myself. I immediately stood from the stool and bolted for the door... I needed to run! I needed to RUN, as fast as humanly possible and right before I made it out of the door I was picked up by magic... I was scared but... But to my surprise I was spared and put into place by the magic wielding purple pony. I tried to scramble but was stuck.

"PLEASE, oh magnificent creature! Spare me!!!"

Rainbow Dash looked worried and start to barade the purple one,

"Twilight! Stop! Your scaring him! Let him go!"

...