• Published 14th Jun 2014
  • 2,978 Views, 216 Comments

Applied Starlight - Unknownlight



Twilight becomes God. Sort of.

  • ...
16
 216
 2,978

1 – Nothing

APPLIED STARLIGHT

A story about the creation of the universe.
Oh, and Equestria, too, but that was more of a side-effect.


There was nothing.

She wanted to say that surrounding her was nothing, but the nothing was so prevalent that it even consumed her idea of spatial awareness. She wanted to say that in front of her was nothing, but the very concept of “in front” didn’t really exist—there was no space in nothing. Any possible description she could think of didn’t quite describe the extent of nothing she was experiencing.

Thus: there was nothing.

…No, no. That doesn’t quite work. “Was” implies a definite and specific moment in time, taking place in the past. There is no time in nothing. There must be a more accurate way to describe it.

There is nothing.

No no no! “Is” is just as bad as “was”! It still implies a singular moment of time. There is no time in nothing.

There was, is, and will be nothing.

No! Why could she not wrap her mind around the concept of time not existing? There clearly was no time, yet she still tried to describe the lack of existence as something that had some sort of past, present, and future. She tried one more time:

Nothing.

Aha! Perfect.

Nothing.

Nothing.

Nothing.

Nothing.

I wonder if one can get bored of nothing, considering there’s nothing to get bored of?

Nothing.

Nothing.

How can I be here if there is nothing?

Nothing.

Nothing.

Maybe I am the nothing. Maybe I believe that there is nothing, and so nothing.

Nothing.

Nothing.

I’ve said that so many times it’s starting to sound weird. Is it actually a real word?

Nothing.

Nothing.

If I’m creating the nothing by believing in nothing, maybe if I believe there is something then there will be something. Worth a shot, at least.

Something.

Something.

Something.

Something.

Out of the nothing came the sudden existence of an uncountable number of giant turtles all piled on top of each other leading infinitely in every direction at once. She was lying on top of one of them: a giant, newly-born baby turtle. The sudden shock of something rather than nothing broke her concentration on something; the turtles quickly disappeared and the nothing returned.

…Well then. That was weird. Uh, let’s not do that again.

Nothing.

Nothing.

The turtles existed beyond nothing, that was certain. It was as if they were a something that all somethings were part of. They were beyond everything. In fact, she had the sneaking suspicion that the turtles had something to do with why this nothing was here, but she couldn’t figure out why she felt this.

Nothing.

Nothing.

The important thing, though, was that apparently she could control what existed in this nothing. The nothing could be molded to what she wanted; it wasn’t just nothing unto itself. Perhaps she had to be more specific, rather than just thinking “something”. Start with the basics.

Spacetime fabric.

Spacetime fabric.

Spacetime fabric.

Spacetime fabric.

And suddenly there was space and time.

Well, that’s convenient.