• Published 2nd Apr 2012
  • 1,088 Views, 13 Comments

The Elements Of Harmony: The Equestrian Crisis - JC Borch



TES IV: Oblivion meets Ponies

  • ...
3
 13
 1,088

Chapter 5: The Princess’s Daughter

The ponies are preparing for the adventure of their lives. Some take it as comes while others find it hard to cope and adjust. However, they are all getting a step closer to finding their elements. Some have started a long time ago and some have only just realised the path they must take. But the battle for Equestria’s safety has only begun. With the mystery of Celestia’s daughter unravelled, do they stand a chance against the forces that threaten not just their lives, but their very history as well?

THE ELEMENTS OF HARMONY: THE EQUESTRIAN CRISIS CHAPTER 5
- THE PRINCESS’S DAUGHTER -

Rainbow Dash woke with a jolt and nearly banged her head on the bed on top. She recognised the place as the Wonderbolt’s dormitory where all the new recruits slept.

“Celestia’s assassination... it was just a dream,” Rainbow said and relaxed back on her pillow. “Heh, more like a nightmare really.”

“You’re finally awake,” a voice said and a silver-haired Wonderbolt in full getup appeared next to her.

No, something was wrong. It was evening now, which could only mean one thing. Alarm washed over Dash as she realised the troubling events that had knocked her out in the first place.

“Is Ponyville all right?” Rainbow asked frantically and struggled to get out of bed.

“That’s the first thing you’re asking me, recruit? Not how I am?” Silver Lining asked sternly. Dash ceased fidgeting with her sheets and looked up at him with surprised. A large smile cracked his face. “Ponyville is okay, all thanks to that earth pony. Applejack, I think she called herself.”

“Applejack?” Rainbow asked hopefully and fidgeted harder than ever, knocking herself down to the ground.

“She was very concerned about you. I barely even mentioned you before she just charged into that tower.”

Rainbow Dash finally freed and threw the sheet on the floor. “Listen, there’s something you have to know! The Elements have been stolen! I didn’t get a chance to tell you, but...”

“I already know,” Silver said with concern and bowed his head. “We are guards of Celestia after all. I’d wager we knew even before you.”

“I have to talk to Spitfire!” Dash said urgently and went through her dresser. “We have to find the Elements immediately. Who knows what they can be used for in the wrong hoofs?”

“I’m afraid that won’t be possible,” Silver Lining said mournfully. Dash caught the tone and peeked up from the drawer. “She and Soarin’ were closing another one of those gates outside Las Pegasus. Spitfire... she didn’t make it back outside.”

“No.” Rainbow clenched her eyes shut, shivering slightly. “I will make them all pay,” she said and continued with finding her Wonderbolt uniform.

“You will do no such thing,” Silver said sternly, but Dash ignored him and put on her uniform. “Soarin’ is doing his best as we speak to find the Elements. There’s nothing you can do now but to perform your duties. The Wonderbolts are busier than we have been in years.”

“I can’t just pretend that all of this didn’t happen!” Rainbow shouted, her eyes watering slightly. She shook it off and brushed past Silver Lining.

“You have no idea where to go or what to do, Rainbow Dash. Meanwhile, ponies out there are suffering and need our help. Will you ignore them?” Silver asked, making Dash stop in her tracks and looking up at the ceiling.

“I have to get back to Ponyville,” she said, trying to control her voice.

“And I won’t stop you,” Silver said softly and came up next to Dash. “But you also have a job to do. The police chief of Manehattan himself personally asked for our help. You handled yourself well in that wasteland, so I want you to take this opportunity. I won’t have to stress how important this job could be to us?”

“No, sir,” Dash said solemnly and looked straight ahead. “I’ll go there as quickly as I can.”

***

It was about evening when Pinkie arrived in Baltimare. It was still light outside and the city was alive with early evening activities. The air was filled with concerned chatter discussing the latest events. The news about the royal deaths weighed heavily on their minds and that only Cadence was left as an alicorn.

The blame and guilt Pinkie felt from all of her killings made her nervous about contact and she walked furtively through the streets. No one paid any attention to her though. No one could know the murders that Pinkie had committed, but she was getting paranoid. It was a relief when she finally came to the abandoned house that she had been directed towards.

The grass was unkempt with weeds growing uncontrollably, and all windows and the door were boarded up. As the planks had not been connected to the frame, the door easily swung inwards. The inside was in a similar state of disarray with overturned furniture and dust everywhere. The door to the basement only hung on half its hinges, and a wall down been broken down.

A tunnel carved into the dirt and stone was bathed in a red light. At the end, Pinkie found a heavy iron door with strange images: a hoof adorning a skull on top with Luna raising the blessed Moon beneath and ponies revelling in its light.

“What is the colour of Luna’s night?” the door asked in a deep voice.

“Sanguine, my brother,” Pinkie replied quietly.

The door swung open with no external help and revealed what looked like an old bunker with low ceiling and stone surfaces. A pegasus stepped forward, she with a lavender coat and chocolate brown mane smoothed behind and down her back.

“Greetings! Greetings! I am Thunder Chaser, mistress of this sanctuary.” Her voice had strength to it, but was also welcoming. “Lace has told me all about you. Let me welcome you to the Dark Brotherhood!” Pinkie followed her inside as Chaser gave a tour of the facilities. “The training hall is on your left and the sleeping quarters on your right. I and the other high-ranking members are sleeping in our own rooms just down the corridor. If you have any questions, be sure to ask me or one of your new brothers or sisters.”

“I’m sure I’ll be... happy here,” Pinkie said with her head bowed to the ground and lip quivering. Her many curls flattened and her slick hair fell down her shoulders.

“Make yourself comfortable, Miss Pie. You look tired,” Thunder Chaser said and made to leave, but Pinkie stopped her.

“Do you have any jobs for me now?” she asked hopefully.

“I’m afraid not, my child. I handle contracts only for more experienced family members. Speak with Brave Soldier when you want to carry out the will of Luna.”

“Will I ever be able to speak with her?”

Thunder Chaser chuckled. “Only the listener can hear the whisperings of our Nocturnal Matron. Maybe she will have something to tell you if you carry out her will expediently enough.”

“Can I ask just one more thing? The Elements of Harmony, do you know where they are?”

“Yes, they were stolen,” Thunder replied mournfully. “Our Nocturnal Matron has charged us with finding them, but they are like swallowed up by the earth. Get some rest, Miss Pie; you look like you need it.”

Thunder Chaser left her to her thoughts. A skeleton pony dressed in a black burlap sack shuffled past her and offered no comfort. She ventured past the wooden doors to the dormitory. The beds were all neatly made, but only one of them contained a bundle. It was a leather suit like the one everypony else here wore. Pinkie stuffed it into her accompanying dresser and then buried her head in the pillow.

***

Rarity lay on the bedroll like she was back on her ottoman. The beggars brought her food and waved a palm leaf to keep her cool in the waning sun. Armand approached with a distraught look and messy hair, but smiled broadly upon seeing Rarity. He mockingly bowed to her.

“If Your Highness isn’t too busy, then I have a matter of urgent concern.”

“I only gave them my last payment,” Rarity said and got up. “It’s not my fault that they took it this well. What brings you here?”

“The Guild has received a... request to obtain a unique statuette, a bust of Princess Celestia. You will be paid a modest sum. Do you want this job?” he asked hastily.

“If I must,” Rarity said bored. “I AM expected to uphold the duty of my guild after all.”

“Excellent. The beggars should know where to find it. Bring it to me once you have it.”

Rarity was surprised to see him leave so soon again. She could feel something might be wrong and was about to call out to him when an old earth pony came up to her. Rarity recoiled as the old toothless mare got a little too close for comforts.

“Yer looking for the bust of Celestia, are ye?” she asked, to which Rarity could only nod. “Then ye are in luck. It’s currently being stored in her crypt underneath the castle, madam.”

Rarity’s face paled if possible even further than her already white coat. “C-crypt?”

“Aye, madam. The bust is made ta commemorate the Princess and will be unveiled once the preparations have been made.”

“Oh no, no, no, no, no, no. I couldn’t possibly steal from the Princess’s crypt. I mean, this is the Princess we’re talking about.”

Rarity bit into her hoof and then looked up at the castle. The Sun was slowly setting behind the mountains and cast the white walls in a beautiful sheen of yellow.

“But I must... I must! The Princess would understand that this is my chance to show the thieves what I can do,” Rarity argued and paced the ground her nervously. “They help me find the Elements and I steal a few things for them, simple as that. But it’s a bust of the Princess. I couldn’t... I must! But... no. I will do it, for her, for my friends and for the elements.”

Rarity hurried into the city and up towards the castle, her dread growing the closer she got. However, she was reminded why she couldn’t get into the castle the first time around. Burly guards with spears blocked the only entrance and were less than happy to let anyone in.

“The palace is off-limits to the public until further notice,” the left one said.

“But surely you’d let a friend of the family inside?” Rarity said and turned on her charm. “I knew Celestia personally. Shining Armour can vouch for me.”

“As we told you last time, anyone can make that claim,” the right one said. “Now be off before we throw you away.”

Grumbling, Rarity descended the stairs again and crossed the plaza. She could go to the guardhouse at the other end, but Shining Armour was already drowning in work. She wouldn’t bother him now. About to leave, Rarity bumped into the earth pony beggar again.

“Having trouble getting inside, have ye?” she asked with a cross-eyed leer.

“Have you been following me?” Rarity asked and took a step back.

“Course not, madam. Ah’m just checking up on yus is all.”

“Well, I DO have a bit of trouble getting inside, yes,” Rarity said and laughed nervously.

“Ye dun need ta go inside the castle fer the crypt, madam. Look!”

The old mare pointed to the side of the castle where a pair of large doors stood like a storm cellar. Rarity approached and hesitantly opened them. A flight of stone steps led down into a dark, vaulted room. She looked behind her, where the old mare stood encouragingly smiling.

Taking a deep breath, Rarity descended into the darkness. In niches stood stone coffins dedicated to various members of the court. Her steps echoed hollowly as she warily made her way across the room, looking about her nervously. Her coat prickled uncomfortably from the darkness, the cold and the gloom.

At the very end stood a glass casket with a gilded frame. Inside she could see the restored body of Celestia, ready for public display. On top of it stood the bust that she had come here for, but Rarity could not proceed. She fell to her knees in front of the deceased Princess, bawling.

“Why is all this happening? I just wanted to be reunited with my friends! To go back to how things were, to never have accepted that stupid deal. Why did you have to die?”

“I know things are difficult,” the Princess replied, making Rarity jump on her feet in stark surprise. A brilliant hue surrounded the still body of Celestia. “I also know that I am asking a lot of you, but I urge you to be strong. Only if you all do your parts, no matter how meaningless they may seem, can Equestria be free again.”

“But –” Rarity began.

“Hush. I know why you have come, Rarity. Take the bust with my blessing, and may we not see each other again for a long time. When you meet the others, tell them how proud I am of you all.”

The crypt went dark again, and the silence hung ever more oppressive. Rarity clenched her eyes tight and tears streamed down her cheek. She allowed herself to sit there mourning and lamenting for a while, but she also knew that she had a job to do. She wiped her eyes and grabbed the bust, exercising utmost caution in placing it in her saddle bag. It was heavy, but also relatively small.

She hurried back outside the city and returned to the hobo camp. Armand wasn’t waiting for her as she expected, but someone else she knew did.

“Emerald?” Rarity asked amazed and dropped her heavy satchel on the ground. “What are you doing here?”

The lavender mare with her fine, lime green hair was slurping on the dredges of her soup. She put away her bowl and glared at Rarity.

“The Thieves Guild gave me another chance, no thanks to you,” Emerald said with a snort.

“I do apologise,” Rarity said sincerely and approached her. “You must understand I have nothing against you, but there is more at stake than just the two of us.”

“It’s fine,” Emerald said, but her tone was as cold as ever.

Rarity didn’t want to press the issue any further with one as stubborn as her, so she changed the subject. “Where’s Armand? I have the bust he sent me to retrieve,” she said matter-of-factly.

“He’s in hiding,” Emerald snapped and looked away.

“What? How come?”

“Are you really that blind or just plain stupid? He’s just using you!” Emerald approached her threateningly. The beggars all suddenly had other things to do and quietly disappeared.

“I’m afraid I don’t know what you mean,” Rarity said coldly, keeping her facade calm.

“I see how Armand acts around you, but it’s me that he loves, you got that?”

“You think I’m interested in him? Maybe you haven’t noticed, but our relationship is purely platonic.”

Emerald looked like an angry bull ready to charge, but the two mares stood silently staring the other down. Finally, Emerald tensed down.

“There never was a client that commissioned the guild to steal Celestia’s bust. Armand doesn’t care about you, he just used you to flush out an informant that infiltrated the guild.”

“And you suspected moi?” Rarity asked hurt.

“You were the new to the guild and you’ve been friendly towards Shining Armour, of course we had our suspicions. But not any longer. The beggars are out gathering information. We’ll know the true identity of the rat soon enough.”

Emerald walked away from the camp with her nose in the sky.

“I mean it,” Rarity said. “There is nothing between Armand and me.”

“Good,” Emerald replied, then lowered her head. “I’ll hide the bust for now. Why don’t you get some sleep? No telling when you will have the chance again.”

***

Trottingham, a peaceful city surrounded by forest and not much bigger than Ponyville. The architecture was also much the same, but with a stronger focus on stone as the basis. The streets were all cobbled, and the first floors of the houses were made of tightly packed stones.

The school looked to have been built only recently. It contained few traces of growth on its walls and roof. The interior was largely wood from furniture to floor, apart for the walls of stone. A pegasus sat by a table and enjoyed some wine in the fading sunlight. He put his goblet away when he saw Twilight enter.

“You are from the academy?” he asked hopefully and approached her before she could even close the door. He looked to be a fairly seasoned stallion with a light purple coat and lime green hair parted to one side. He wore a simple blue robe.

“Yes, yes I am,” Twilight said proudly and put a hoof on her chest, then pointed at him. “And I take it you’re Thunder Flicker. Now what’s this problem you wrote about?”

“Heart Treasure,” he said bitterly and turned away. “She’s my unicorn sister, and she does not care for academy regulations. Since I’m a pegasus, she errantly believes I cheated to get my appointment. And now I see that she is in town.”

Twilight rolled her eyes. “Sir, you cannot call the academy for family matters. I came here because of a perceived emergency, not a sour family reunion.”

“This IS an emergency, don’t you see?” He turned abruptly towards Twilight and seized her by the shoulder. “Though she has not approached me, I know she wants something. I would like you to find out what it is. Determine what she’s after, and how we may be rid of her. I do not want her here, spreading her lies.”

“If I do this one small task for you, then will you agree not to bother the academy again unless it’s really, really important?”

He nodded and Twilight ventured outside again. She had barely crossed the plaza in front however, before a unicorn came up to her. She was coloured like her brother though in darker colour, so it wasn’t difficult for Twilight to recognise her.

“Finally, someone from the academy has come to resolve this little mistake,” she said. “Obviously it should be a unicorn like me that should lead a school for magic.”

“Celestia’s Academy of Magic seeks to understand the magic inherent in all ponies,” Twilight explained passionately. “Pegasuses and even earth ponies all have magic in them.”

“Oh, so you’re spouting that nonsense too,” she scoffed. “Look, I’m not here to discuss the academy’s insipid new regulations. I came to town to find a book, “The Hoof of the Mountain.” Maybe you’ve heard about it?”

“I... can’t say that I have.”

“No, of course you haven’t,” Heart Treasure said with a chuckle. “Such a tome would be far beyond your limited understanding. Say, maybe you would like to find it for me?”

Twilight creased her brow in indignity. Spike could tell that she was about to blow a fuse and cut in between them. “What’s in it for us?” he asked.

“So it can talk? Hmph, isn’t the honour enough? Well, if I can get it translated from whatever ancient pony language it’s written in, it should contain a bit of magic. But I seriously doubt one such as you would be able to wield it.”

“We have a deal then,” Twilight said through gritted teeth, restraining herself the best she could.

“Good. Here’s the location. Once you’ve got the book, find me at the inn near the city limits.”

Heart Treasure hoofed her a small note from her blouse, then turned away from the plaza. Twilight waited until she was completely gone to return to the school.

“We’re not actually going after the book, are we?” Spike asked and hopped back up on Twilight.

“Of course not. We’ve done what we came here for; the rest is up to Thunder Flicker.”

The headmaster was eagerly waiting for them and barely allowed them to step inside. Twilight explained to him shortly how everything had panned out, to which Flicker recoiled in horror.

“What? Not only does it exist, but she knows where it is? Well, this is unacceptable,” he said and slammed a hoof into the floor. “That book needs to be in the safe-keeping of the Academy. I trust as a member of the Academy you would do the right thing and acquire this text before Heart Treasure does.”

“With all due respect, sir, I have other schools I need to visit and I would like to get back to Canterlot soon,” Twilight explained, but Thunder went up in her face.

“You have no idea what that book is capable of. It is ancient, dangerous magic. I shudder to think what she would want to do with it. Are we clear? Go to this place she has described, and return to me with the book. This is far more important than any petty sibling rivalry.”

Gripped by the severity in his tone, Twilight could only nod at his behest. “Fine. But this better be your last request,” she said and poked his chest.

“Maybe you could tell us where this place is then?” Spike asked and handed Thunder the note.

It was almost dark by the time they reached Cloud Top, a crumbling ruin on a mountain shelf. An overgrown path led them to a pedestal surrounded by pillars. Nearby, they found the charred remains of a unicorn, the book by its side mysteriously intact.

“Looks like this is it.” Spike bent down and picked up the book, but Twilight took it from him with her magic. Angrily, she opened the book and tore through the pages. “What are you doing?” Spike asked with concern at Twilight’s furrowed brow.

“I am tired of all these so-called emergencies. Missing students and jewellery are not emergencies, and least of all a family feud. I’m going to have a long serious talk with Brawny Spirit,” she said and frantically skimmed the book. “But first I need to know whether I should impeach Thunder Flicker for taking advantage of his position.”

“But that book is supposed to be highly dangerous!” Spike said frightened, taking a few steps away from it.

“It’s just a book, Spike; it’s only as dangerous as the information written in it, and there’s nothing dangerous in here. It’s just an instruction of some kind... hmm, do you still have one of those gems we confiscated from Dark Scar?”

“Uhm...” Spike said and nervously pawed the ground with his foot.

“Well?” Her annoyed tone made him jump. He complied and reached into his pockets where he took one of the black gems. Twilight levitated the crystal on to the pedestal. She held the book up before her, then slammed it shut.

“I can see why Thunder Flicker would be so eager to get this book away from the public.” She placed the book down on the ground and then took a step outside of the pillars. “If we’re not careful, this could have a horrendous backlash.”

“Twilight, maybe we should just get back to Trottingham with that book,” Spike suggested nervously and pointed to the forest below them, but Twilight’s horn glowed again.

“If done correctly and with the right type of crystal, however, we might actually see some result.”

“I don’t think this is a good idea!” Spike shouted hysterically, but Twilight released her magic right unto the pedestal. The crystal spun alarmingly before rocketing up into the sky where it exploded. A jet of light escaped it and hit Twilight directly in the horn. Her eyes glowed white and her face cracked into a devious smile.

Spike hopped behind a half-broken wall and watched fearfully as magic engulfed Twilight, lifting her up from the ground. As quick it had come, as quick did it go again. The magic released Twilight and the light show was over.

“I was right!” she said with an exhausted laughter.

“What was that?” Spike asked in disbelief, making his way back towards her. “You know better than anypony not to toy with unknown magic!”

“I’m sorry that I got you worried,” Twilight said and nuzzled him. “Those gems are conductors of some kind, but not for any ordinary magic. I shudder to think what powerful, arcane magic they are used for.”

“You scared me for a moment there,” Spike said, calming down.

“I know, but I wasn’t sure what would happen. I mean, I had a pretty good assumption. but if I spent too much time thinking about it I wouldn’t have been able to see it through.”

“Let’s just get this back to the school,” Spike said and clutched the book. “It seriously gives me the creeps.”

***

The hallways were ill lit and Fluttershy crept along the walls. She met no resistance apart from her own fear. The dancing of shadows and rustling of banners made her stop and nervously look around her. Down long corridors, turning corners and up stairs she went.

“What am I even doing here?” she asked herself. “Discord told me to activate this facility, but how am I supposed to do that? Oh Fluttershy, why can’t you be more assertive? “No Discord, I don’t want to help you.” I could have said that, but instead he sent me here. Oh...”

She came to a large room that was brightly lit. Unseemly little creatures sat about burning logs, grunting to each other. They grabbed for clubs and spears when they saw Fluttershy walk down the stairs towards them, but made no movements.

They were like slimy versions of Canterlot’s goblins, dressed in fishnets, hooks and barnacles. Their weapons were crude and made from stone wound around wood with reeds. They were ugly and communicated through guttural sounds, but allowed Fluttershy to approach them.

“Uhm, I’m not here to cause any trouble,” she said meekly. The creatures looked at each other and grunted, then lowered their weapons. “I’m looking for a way to activate this place, so m-maybe you could help me?”

Croaking wildly, the creatures started jumping up and down. An older one in robes stepped forward and handed a large crystal to a younger one. This one placed it before Fluttershy’s hoofs.

“You want me to have this?” she asked surprised, to which it nodded. Fluttershy picked it up and smiled. “Thank you very much.”

The creature hurried across the room, waving at her to follow it. It ran down the corridor with Fluttershy flying behind him. They got to another room where more of the creatures had also congregated. The one that had led her explained to the others, and an elder brought forth another crystal. Again he took off down the hall with Fluttershy right behind him. The process repeated one more time for a total of three strange gems. Her hoofs were full and she was using her mouth as well to carry it all.

The last room was small with a large crystal from floor to ceiling. Her guide leapt back and forth, croaking and pointing at the crystal. Fluttershy approached and saw three slots. It didn’t take her many moments to guess what was required. Once placed the smaller crystals disappeared and the large crystal vibrated ominously, making dust fall from the ceiling. Fluttershy hid behind the creature, which placed a hand on her head. Blue light escaped the crystal in small waves, possibly a sign of working.

Fluttershy thanked the creature with a hoof shake before going up the last flight of stairs. The goblin-like thing cocked its head in slight bewilderment, then turned about. She came to another small room. A raised tile on the floor contained an etched face sticking out its tongue. The silhouette pulsated with the same energy as the crystal. Fluttershy stepped up on it in curiosity and vanished in the light.

She reappeared in a similar room, but here stood a unicorn shrouded in a red cowl. “Finally, Discord has sent someone to assist me!” he exclaimed and beamed at Fluttershy, then coughed. “But where are my manners? Ahem... must get into my professional tone... ahem... Welcome to Xedilian! I am the dungeon caretaker, Brilliant Paradise.”

“P-pleasure to meet you,” she said weakly and backed away. Brilliant Paradise had a greyish-blue coat and a mane of the same colour. He was smiling exuberantly.

“I hope the grummites didn’t give you much trouble? Ghastly things! They mistook the focus crystals for some sort of religious symbols, and removed them from their rightful place. Oh, forgive me, I tend to ramble.”

“It’s okay,” Fluttershy said quietly. Paradise took it as a cue to continue.

“Xedilian would normally have sent you back to the entrance when you stepped on the pad in the resonator chamber. Since you’re up here, I can only surmise that ponies are already entering the dungeon as we speak. The only thing we can do is let the adventurers complete a cycle through here. Come.”

She reluctantly followed him out of the room. “Don’t be such a pushover,” Fluttershy muttered to herself. “I have to be strong, all my friends are counting on me. I can’t let them down. I won’t let them down.”

Having not heard her hushed reprimand, Paradise resumed his explanation as he led her through. “The resonator works by drawing ponies to itself with a sort of magical siren’s call. Discord uses the resonator to find the cream of the crop as he calls them; the best of the worst to populate the Isles. Quite clever, eh? As the ponies make their way through Xedilian’s chambers, they will encounter choices that I make in these control platforms.”

They came to a large room with open windows to the sides and in front. On the left she could see three ponies in red robes enter. They walked down the stairs and stopped at a large grate in the floor. They were equally mixed among the races with the earth pony holding a bow and the pegasus a large sword. They grumbled in dissatisfaction and looked around the room.

“This is normally my job, but I think you should have the honour,” Paradise said and smiled. “Simply press one of the buttons and decide what will happen to them.”

A happy face was painted on the right button and a sad face on the left. Fluttershy hesitated. She knew Discord best as a trickster and was reluctant to press any buttons here. But the ponies below her were dressed in the red robes of the assassins. They were of the cult that had assassinated Celestia. She took a deep breath and then pressed the happy face.

The grate below opened and a small tree-like monster appeared. The assassins laughed derisively at the threat and attacked it. It ignored the arrows and spells and quickly grew to an immense size. While the others kept their distance, the earth pony fell to the floor screaming. The giant tree swallowed him up and dissolved. He was still there.

“Excellent choice! That illusion was meant to make ponies lose their grip on reality. Looks like the other two are still fine though. Moving on!”

“Oh my,” Fluttershy said mortified and put a hoof to her mouth.

She went to the front window where she could see the last two assassins gather around a caged treasure hoard. She wavered longer between the two buttons this time. Even knowing what those ponies were, Fluttershy was too kind to inflict them any pain. The happy button had caused so much hurt; maybe the sad button would be better in some kind of reversed psychology?

The pegasus went up to the locked gate in the cage, shaking it. So when Fluttershy pushed the button, he was unhurt by the two beams of fire that erupted from the floor. The unicorn was not that lucky. There was nothing left of him but a charred body.

“Oh no,” Fluttershy said tearfully amidst Paradise’s cheers and claps.

“What’s going to happen to the last one?” Paradise asked excitedly and directed her towards the last window. “Death or insanity?”

She could see the pegasus enter cautiously. He was shaking, but calmed down when he noticed the room was empty.

“Oh... oh.” Fluttershy fretted, looking from one button to the next. She clenched her eyes tight, but all she could hear was Discord jeering at her, laughing as she languished. Whether real or imagined, Fluttershy was still moved by having to decide this pony’s life. She could not, and so she pushed both buttons at the same time.

Below her, the assassin was screaming. He moved around erratically, panting and shrieking at unseen things.

“Haven’t seen a discording for some time,” Paradise said and shook his head seriously. “He’ll be a whole new pony now.”

Fluttershy peeked over the balustrade. The assassin was quieting down again, now sitting on his rump and smiling and singing.

“You can use the teleport pad to get back now,” Paradise said with a smile and gestured towards the raised tile.

“Will they be all right?” Fluttershy asked tearfully and entered the room she had come from.

“Of course they will! Well, except for that unicorn. He’s most definitively dead. The others will enjoy a long life of Discord’s mania.”

“I’m so sorry,” Fluttershy whispered over her back and stepped up on the pad. It engulfed her in light, but nothing happened. Instead of taking her away, the pad had carried something with it.

Three ponies stood before them, clad completely in crystalline armour. They gave metallic clinks as they moved forward, pressing Fluttershy back.

“You have some nerve coming here!” Paradise said angrily and drew a small dagger from his robes. The intruders didn’t reply, but drew longswords of the same material as their armours.

Paradise proved to be a powerful magician. Lightning flared from his horn and struck his enemies. They advanced upon him, but he kept them at bay with Fluttershy by his side. It took him only a short while to dispatch the lot of them. They were only three, and Paradise was a deadly adversary.

“Tell Discord... tell him that Order has come.”

***

Applejack sat in the train heading for Trottingham, admiring her new armour. Unlike the plate armour she previously wore, this was a fine ring mail with a white tunic over it. It was a gift from the guard captain. She had been rushing to get out of Ponyville to the survivor camp, but he had stopped her on the lower floor.

“So the Mayor is safe? Thank you; I shall make sure she is protected while we rebuilt Ponyville. Here, take this. I have no use for it; I’m tired of fighting. It may serve you well in days to come. And don’t worry; it won’t change your appearance like a normal guard’s amour.”

Three young mares slept in a pile opposite her. The former Cutiemark Crusaders were still young and a lot had happened on this day. Still, Applejack found it surprising how quickly those three had dozed off. Must be the comforting shaking of the train and the warmth of the sun.

She had led Scootaloo behind the tents. In retrospect, there were so many things she wished to have done differently. Some things to have left out, some things to have been added. She had pondered all the way from Ponyville to the survivor’s camp how best to do it, but the first thing that had escaped her lips had been: “Yer Celestia’s daughter.”

Scootaloo had reacted as would be expected. Disbelief was first. “Princess Celestia? You think the Princess is my mother? No, you must have the wrong pony. I’m just a pegasus. My father was a farmer.”

“The Princess asked me ta find ya, Scootaloo. Why would Ah be lyin’ about sumthing like that?”

Applejack had been firm, she needed to be. The news she was bearing was not to be taken lightly and could easily be mistaken for a joke otherwise. Scootaloo had been rattled, but she took it rationally. Perhaps there had been something in the back of her mind all this time, a nagging doubt perhaps.

“I don’t know. It’s strange... I think you might actually be telling the truth. What does this mean? What do you want me to do?”

“We need ta get ya back ta the priory in Trottingham. The Amulet of Alicorns will draw out yer power and then we can counterattack the Prince of Destruction.”

Scootaloo had looked away, thinking hard. “I guess this explains why I was never able to fly then? Why I never felt like I belonged anywhere? I was never a pegasus. I was an alicorn all along.” She had looked up with eyes full of adventure and glory. “You destroyed that gate, didn’t you? You helped them drive back the demons. Yes. I’ll come with you to the priory.”

It was at that point Applejack noted the other two spying on their conversation. In their eagerness to eavesdrop, Apple Bloom had jumped up on Sweetie Belle’s back. This decision had resulted in Sweetie Belle tripping, making both of them tumble into the clearing.

“Wherever Scootaloo goes, we go with her. Crusaders for life,” Sweetie Belle had said and embraced her friend.

“Ya can’t stop us, sis. We’re coming along, no matter what ya say!” Apple Bloom had added angrily and embraced Scootaloo as well.

“Yer right, Ah can’t stop ya.”

“Huh?”

Applejack had sighed and even now she regretted not being able to stop them. “Yer all old enough ta make yer own decisions. Ah can only warn ya’ll that this is gonna be extremely dangerous. If ya’ll understand the risks yer taking, then Ah can’t... then Ah won’t stop ya.”

It had been doubly hard to say farewell to Big Mac and Winona then. Fears about the farm had clutched her tightly with only her big brother and her dog left. Everyone would be too busy repairing the city to help him. But she couldn’t abandon her quest either lest Equestria should fall into oblivion.

She had done her best to explain the situation to the young mares. They had been full of questions and the only end to their curiosity was sleep’s warm embrace. Now things were too quiet. Pinkie had just up and vanished, leaving behind only a curious note. Applejack had held on to it, and she found herself drawing it from the tunic again. She felt alone, but knowing that Pinkie was on her own way towards an element comforted her. It would be some time before they reached Trottingham. Applejack tipped her hat and turned in for the day as well.

***

Although middle of the night, Dash could not sleep. She had spent most of the day knocked out and she was filled with humiliation, determination and worry. Originally on her way towards Manehattan, she had instead stopped in Ponyville for a spell.

The fires were all out, and most importantly, so was the gate. The soil around it was blackened and burnt, and weird claws protruded as an epitaph. But the Ponyvillians had fast begun the mending of their fair town. It was dark outside when Dash flew over familiar ground and most were sleeping in their tents outside of town. Some were lucky enough to have houses to return to, but the ghost town feeling made most stay in the camp.

Rainbow didn’t stop until she came to Fluttershy’s hut. She landed with a splash in the mud. The ground was still wet and soggy from all the rain, but a few stains on her uniform was the least of her troubles right now. She found Fluttershy’s door hanging open and a sensation of dread almost paralysed her. She gulped and then rushed inside.

“Fluttershy! Fluttershy, are you in here? FLUTTERSHY!”

Dash tore through the many rooms on the ground floor, opening cabinets and lifting furniture. She disregarded the many frightened animals and made her way upstairs. Quietly whispering Fluttershy’s name, Dash went through the last room. The chamber was empty as well, the bed a mess like the rest of the hut.

She sat down on the floor, tears creeping through her clenched eyes. A stamping sound. Dash looked up and saw a little bunny before her, tapping his foot impatiently.

“Angel!” Rainbow exclaimed and embraced the bunny tightly. She twirled up into the air and held him out at an arm’s length. “Tell me, little guy, have you seen Fluttershy?”

Angel gestured wildly, so Dash put him back down on the ground. “Are you saying Fluttershy went to a garden party? No, no, she was... swallowed by a whale? Abducted by aliens?”

Angel slapped his face, then jumped down the stairs to the living room. Dash flew right behind and saw him draw on paper with a nugget of charcoal. The imagery was crude and Dash raised an eyebrow in bewilderment.

“A... are you saying Fluttershy went into a gate?” Dash asked and turned the piece of paper around. “Was it black and fiery and really, really big?”

Angel shook his head and tried to mimic something. “Faces? You’re saying the gate looked like a face?” Angel nodded fervently, and then put his paws on his side.

Rainbow Dash galloped outside and down the road towards the forest. Angel came up next to her and fervently pointed to a spot in the grass. Although investigating it, Dash found nothing. She looked up into the dark sky with a rueful expression.

“Fluttershy... where are you?” she asked quietly.

A small alligator latched on to her tail and then continued biting her toothlessly until it came to a rest on her mane.

“I take it you guys are hungry, huh?” Dash asked and wiped her face.

Dash went back to the hut and rummaged through the kitchen. She found a large sack of dry food, slashed it open and tipped it over. The animals gathered around it almost before Rainbow could get out of the way. Only Angel stood behind with arms crossed and frowned.

“I’m sorry little bud, I don’t have time to get you anything else,” Rainbow Dash said and went for the door. “I need to be in Manehattan by daylight for a very important job. I know Fluttershy has plenty of helpers, they’ll probably be around before long.”